Print Topic - Archive

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: BIGChris, May 6, 2015, 5:37pm
See he has been released by Cambridge which is no great surprise.

I would be trying to sign him whichever division we are in as, after a difficult start, I think he has improved considerably.

Ryan Bird & Ian Miller released too
Posted by: oldludensian, May 6, 2015, 5:41pm; Reply: 1
Agree completely. He's really improved as the season went on.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, May 6, 2015, 5:42pm; Reply: 2
Is take Ryan Bird too - he looked fantastic against us in the trophy semi's last year!
Posted by: cmackenzie4, May 6, 2015, 5:43pm; Reply: 3
Agreed, would be great to sign him, on his day is a very good player as we've all witnessed.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, May 6, 2015, 6:11pm; Reply: 4
Sign him up regardless which league we are in next season.
Posted by: SamTheMariner, May 6, 2015, 6:18pm; Reply: 5
They've released that Elliot as well. He looked like a decent player.
Posted by: friskneymariner, May 6, 2015, 6:59pm; Reply: 6
Ben Tomlinson released by Lincoln.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 6, 2015, 7:25pm; Reply: 7
Sign him up! and that Ryan Bird's not bad from what we saw last year!
Posted by: cmackenzie4, May 6, 2015, 7:34pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Sign him up! and that Ryan Bird's not bad from what we saw last year!

Does Bird play on the Wing?  ;)
Posted by: mimma, May 6, 2015, 7:37pm; Reply: 9
Bird is a striker, so who would we get rid of to accommodate him, Palmer (assuming he is available), LJL, Pitman?

Is he that much better than any of those?
Posted by: blundellpork, May 6, 2015, 9:21pm; Reply: 10
Would happily have Miller back, but can't see it happening.

Porky
Posted by: fiveallive, May 6, 2015, 9:22pm; Reply: 11
I feel sorry for Ian Miller excellent for Cambridge 2 seasons ago now he was the best player on the pitch when they beat us 0-1 (Cunnington). He still woudn't be out of place in a Grimsby Town shirt.

He was captain and got a bad injury in the play off final and hasn't recovered shame really, i hope if he drops to a Conference club hope he gets a good club would do wonders at Eastleigh with his experience.
Posted by: SamTheMariner, May 6, 2015, 9:37pm; Reply: 12
I'm not sure Miller was as good as everyone says he was. Would you pick him over Boyce last season or Toto/Gowling this season. I'm not sure. I'm certain we won't sign him because by all accounts his wage demands are too high and it would be a big risk taking a player on who has been injured for a long time.  
Posted by: Garth, May 6, 2015, 9:49pm; Reply: 13
Millers time has been and gone as far as we are concerned, Arnold on the other hand should be signed up IMO, the fact that Cambridge have made him club less can work to our advantage should he play in the final,  in so much that he will have something to prove
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 6, 2015, 10:15pm; Reply: 14
Didn't Miller pointlessly give away a penalty last time we played at Wembley. Massive error of judgement. Apart from that I liked him as a player.
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, May 6, 2015, 10:52pm; Reply: 15
Close, it was Shaun Pearson that gave the penno away.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 6, 2015, 11:00pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from LongEatonMariner
Close, it was Shaun Pearson that gave the penno away.

You sure about that? Jeez, my memory does play tricks on me, but could swear it was Windy.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 6, 2015, 11:03pm; Reply: 17
Nope definitely Miller who stuck out the offending leg. Pearson was just there when the Wrexham lad fell over.
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, May 6, 2015, 11:57pm; Reply: 18
I know what you mean, I can remember a lot from the two games in 98 but hardly anything from visits to Cardiff and new Wembley! I'm sure Pearson mentioned giving the pen in a recent piece in the telegraph.
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, May 7, 2015, 12:00am; Reply: 19
A recent piece did I say? It was today! Memory fading fast!

http://m.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Grimsby-Town-s-Shaun-Pearson-aiming-right-wrongs/story-26442381-detail/story.html
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, May 7, 2015, 3:29am; Reply: 20
I thought Miller's deal with Cambridge including a coaching role? One of the benefits that swung the deal in their favour.
Posted by: BIGChris, May 7, 2015, 6:32am; Reply: 21
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
I thought Miller's deal with Cambridge including a coaching role? One of the benefits that swung the deal in their favour.

I think payment for his 'rent' swung the deal!

Perilous job being a lower league footballer, out of contract and out of your house too!
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 7, 2015, 6:11pm; Reply: 22
Miller's parents still live in Bury St Edmunds,

So he could always go home to them,

I think he will stay local and sign for Needham Market who have just been promoted to the Ryman League,

Regarding Arnold , sign him up now.
Posted by: mimma, May 8, 2015, 2:18pm; Reply: 23
Remember not so long ago, there were rumours of Arnold been unhappy & unsettled here, & wanted away. People on here were saying we should get rid, he's not interested in staying here.

What a difference now, we are saying sign him up he loves it here!
Posted by: gtfc98, May 8, 2015, 2:41pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from mimma
Remember not so long ago, there were rumours of Arnold been unhappy & unsettled here, & wanted away. People on here were saying we should get rid, he's not interested in staying here.

What a difference now, we are saying sign him up he loves it here!

That was when he was injured if I recall. I still don't really rate him, brilliant one game then anonymous for the next 3.
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 8, 2015, 2:43pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from gtfc98

That was when he was injured if I recall. I still don't really rate him, brilliant one game then anonymous for the next 3.

I was definitely told by someone within the club that he didn't want to be here.

We shall see if he is offered a contract and stays.
Posted by: LH, May 8, 2015, 2:58pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from gtfc98

Considerably better rate than 1 in 7 or 8 (depending on which game is on telly) Scott Neilson.
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 8, 2015, 3:40pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from gtfc98

Couldn't disagree more.  Bar a couple of games over Christmas he's been excellent for us.  At this level it's near on impossible to get attacking players who are consistent.  Where Arnold (and Mackreth too) have differed from others at this level is that they've consistently provided a high level of team-work.
Posted by: pizzzza, May 8, 2015, 3:44pm; Reply: 28
Why sign Arnold now? There'll be hundreds of players looking for a club in June and we'll hopefully be looking forward to playing at a higher level. The same goes for Palmer, etc there'll probably be better players available in the summer.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, May 8, 2015, 3:56pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from pizzzza
Why sign Arnold now? There'll be hundreds of players looking for a club in June and we'll hopefully be looking forward to playing at a higher level. The same goes for Palmer, etc there'll probably be better players available in the summer.

because this set of players have something we havn't had for some years, desire to win and wear the shirt, every player since neilson and thomas departed have wanted to play ! even players who are stuck on the bench
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 3:40pm