Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: pontoonlew, May 5, 2015, 5:25pm
Offered a new deal at Mansfield.
Posted by: Maringer, May 5, 2015, 5:28pm; Reply: 1
Interesting. The general consensus from the Mansfield messageboard seemed to be that they wouldn't necessarily want to keep him.

Perhaps his goalscoring feats in his loan spell with us have pushed his case forward with their management?

Regardless, I hope he bags another goal or two at Wembley in a push to get a deal with a choice of League Two clubs next season!  ;)
Posted by: Maringer, May 5, 2015, 5:30pm; Reply: 2
Ah, just realised he's young enough for them to receive a fee if he moved on so this might be a 'tactical' contract offer.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, May 5, 2015, 5:40pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Maringer
Ah, just realised he's young enough for them to receive a fee if he moved on so this might be a 'tactical' contract offer.
Yeah, it's the only way they can get a fee.

He's in the shop window, I look at it in a very positive way, he's playing for his future, whatever happens at Wembley you know he's going to give 200%

IF the gods are with us and the chance we move up a league, probally only Portsmouth and Luton have the gates and financial clout to outwage us?

But why break what's not broken, he's in a team where he can score goals at a 1:2 ratio, he could move elsewhere and not play to his strengths, just like at Mansfield.
Posted by: Maringer, May 5, 2015, 5:44pm; Reply: 4
Just had a look at the Mansfield messageboard actually, and there seems to be plenty of pissing and moaning on there. Very reminiscent of here when things aren't going well, actually, with some blaming the bad atmosphere at the ground or the poor style of play for some players failings!

Just goes to show that football fans are pretty much alike around the country (or ones at smallish struggling clubs at the very least).

Not many have anything nice to say about Palmer, though.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, May 5, 2015, 6:24pm; Reply: 5
What ever happens Ollie will never forget his time in a Black and White shirt he's had a fantastic spell here and we the fans have taken to the big guy. He clearly loves his time playing football here don't really want to hear this before Wembley it's does not do anybody any good. :( :( :(
Posted by: BIGChris, May 5, 2015, 6:43pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
What ever happens Ollie will never forget his time in a Black and White shirt he's had a fantastic spell here and we the fans have taken to the big guy. He clearly loves his time playing football here don't really want to hear this before Wembley it's does not do anybody any good. :( :( :(

Agree, and the video of his girlfriend/partner joining in the singing at Eastleigh shows she is enjoying him playing here too
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 5, 2015, 7:04pm; Reply: 7
I noticed on the Mansfield web site that Liam Hearn's future will be "discussed" this week..........I am 100% confident Ollie will start at Wembley and give 100% too.

Posted by: ginnywings, May 5, 2015, 7:06pm; Reply: 8
Win win for OP. If no-one comes in for him, he has a deal on the table at Mansfield. Good on him, he's showed an eye for goal whilst here and can only improve with more game time.
Posted by: LH, May 5, 2015, 7:09pm; Reply: 9
As they've offered him a contract Mansfield are entitled to compensation from a tribunal if I'm correct. So not signing it doesn't necessarily mean he can move on as easy as he could as an older player.

Covered above. Has a post vanished?
Posted by: Abdul19, May 5, 2015, 7:46pm; Reply: 10
Speaking of tactical contract offers, did we get anything (crisps?) for Thanoj from Alfreton?

If someone does end up paying a fee for Palmer, it might be similar to the £25k (rising to £40k) York paid for Jake Hyde. Or it might not be.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 5, 2015, 7:56pm; Reply: 11
Surely when deciding compensation, opportunities (or lack of) at the club which owns him are considered.

If so it wouldn't be much surely?
Posted by: BIGChris, May 5, 2015, 8:40pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Surely when deciding compensation, opportunities (or lack of) at the club which owns him are considered.

If so it wouldn't be much surely?

Usually they also take into account the 'selling' clubs investment in his development. Mansfields isn't a lot as it wasn't too long ago he was playing for Woking although they did pay an undisclosed fee
Posted by: hertfordshire mariner, May 5, 2015, 9:04pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from LH
As they've offered him a contract Mansfield are entitled to compensation from a tribunal if I'm correct. So not signing it doesn't necessarily mean he can move on as easy as he could as an older player.

Covered above. Has a post vanished?

Yep as long as the contract offered is equal to, or more than his current contract. Like we did with danny butterfield.... ohh hang on....  :B
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 6, 2015, 10:30am; Reply: 14
The fee will below £40,000,

He is worth that and we will have a bit of money to play with from Wembley,

It looks if Ollie is happy with us,

So the tribunal will set the fee.
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 6, 2015, 10:55am; Reply: 15
Smart move from Mansfield.  

Even if it's only £10k they get for him, it's money they didn't have before.  
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, May 6, 2015, 11:02am; Reply: 16
I wouldn't have thought it would be anything like £40k given he's only been there two years and was already 21 when he joined them.
Posted by: KK_DOG, May 6, 2015, 12:39pm; Reply: 17
I can't see us paying a fee for anyone.
Posted by: Meza, May 6, 2015, 12:48pm; Reply: 18
I think he's played 57 times and scored 7 gls in 2 seasons (43 - 5 in 2013-2014 and 21 - 2 gls in 2014-215)

so he's been there 2 years, i can see 20K for him.  The mansfield fans are divided on him some saying they would keep him and some saying to offload as he's not good enough, i think he's definately good enough maybe just didn't suit mansfields style.  Sometimes when players move to teams it just happens and sometimes it doesn't but for Ollie it certainly has.  He wasn't happy at mansfield and even asked not to be recalled so to me that says his future at mansfield is buried (they've even removed him from the player profiles on their official website).  I hope he gets up promoted and signs then bangs a couple against them.
Posted by: Biccys, May 6, 2015, 12:56pm; Reply: 19
Straight swap for Hannah? I took Hannah's bringing his child onto the pitch after the game as a goodbye if I'm honest.
Posted by: Abdul19, May 6, 2015, 1:26pm; Reply: 20
Hannah won't be our player so we can't really swap him.
Posted by: horsforthmariner, May 6, 2015, 1:56pm; Reply: 21
Sounds to me like he's already got a contract offer from us and Mansfield will be trying to get a fee.
Posted by: Fcukthescunts, May 6, 2015, 2:02pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Biccys
Straight swap for Hannah? I took Hannah's bringing his child onto the pitch after the game as a goodbye if I'm honest.

I watched on TV and thought the same he appeared to have a tear in his eye.
Posted by: Trawler, May 8, 2015, 10:00am; Reply: 23
Telegraph is running an interview with Palmer this morning about the Mansfield offer.  He sounds like he's approaching it in a level headed way and treating both clubs fairly.

http://bit.ly/1zIS9fi

It seems like a win win situation for him, and us. He's come from nowhere and scored a couple of decent goals for us on TV.   If he plays a blinder at Wembley and we win he can negotiate hard with Mansfield, us and any other club he's caught the eye of.  If we lose he has the Mansfield offer to fall back on.   Expect him to play out of his skin on Sunday 17th May.
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 8, 2015, 10:33am; Reply: 24
Quoted from Trawler
Telegraph is running an interview with Palmer this morning about the Mansfield offer.  He sounds like he's approaching it in a level headed way and treating both clubs fairly.

http://bit.ly/1zIS9fi

It seems like a win win situation for him, and us. He's come from nowhere and scored a couple of decent goals for us on TV.   If he plays a blinder at Wembley and we win he can negotiate hard with Mansfield, us and any other club he's caught the eye of.  If we lose he has the Mansfield offer to fall back on.   Expect him to play out of his skin on Sunday 17th May.

I would hope they all play "out of their skin" on Sunday.
Posted by: moosey_club, May 8, 2015, 10:39am; Reply: 25

Yep as long as the contract offered is equal to, or more than his current contract. Like we did with danny butterfield.... ohh hang on....  :B

;D
That tickled me.....
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, May 8, 2015, 8:31pm; Reply: 26
Just looked on Liam Hearns twitter, says Ollie Palmers shaved all his hair off! I guess Arnolds unleashed his shears on him! lol (ohmy)

[img]http://i.imgur.com/ywAfmUD.png[/img]
Posted by: KK_DOG, May 9, 2015, 9:20am; Reply: 27
Just checked out his new haircut on the Telegraph site.

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Loan-striker-Ollie-Palmer-wants-rediscover-golden/story-25811608-detail/story.html
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, May 9, 2015, 9:43am; Reply: 28
That's when he first joined it was scraped  back there
Posted by: moosey_club, May 9, 2015, 9:52am; Reply: 29
I wonder if his mate Prince Charles (1st)  will pop along to watch him?

Posted by: Maringer, May 9, 2015, 10:27am; Reply: 30
You can tell that not much is going on in the world of GTFC when Palmer having a haircut is news.

Let's hope it's the calm before the storm.  ;)
Posted by: KK_DOG, May 9, 2015, 10:31am; Reply: 31
Quoted from zorro_is_a_Mariner
That's when he first joined it was scraped  back there

Ahh it looked different, do you have a link to the latest one, I do like to see a good haircut.

(saddam)
Posted by: topuphere666, May 9, 2015, 11:18am; Reply: 32
I won't bloody recognise him!
Posted by: mimma, May 9, 2015, 3:33pm; Reply: 33
We can't call him Zlatan anymore!
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, May 9, 2015, 3:41pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from mimma
We can't call him Zlatan anymore!
Zinedine Zidane!
Posted by: acko338, May 10, 2015, 12:10pm; Reply: 35
Great day for Ollie and all those not signed up for next year to prove their worth to grace League 2 next season!
Posted by: Spiritater, May 13, 2015, 6:49am; Reply: 36
Apparently he's refused the contract offer we've put in front of him.
Posted by: Meza, May 13, 2015, 7:06am; Reply: 37
Quoted from Spiritater

Who from Mansfield or Town?

You can't really blame him for rejecting if it is Mansfield after all they didn't want him but now because he's playing well they want him back.  I thought as soon as he said he doesn't want to be recalled and wants to purely concentrate on Town tells me his Mansfield career was over.
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 13, 2015, 7:10am; Reply: 38
Quoted from Meza

Who from Mansfield or Town?

You can't really blame him for rejecting if it is Mansfield after all they didn't want him but now because he's playing well they want him back.  I thought as soon as he said he doesn't want to be recalled and wants to purely concentrate on Town tells me his Mansfield career was over.

Spiritater is a Mansfield fan. We haven't even offered him a contract yet.

To be honest, I'm surprised he's actually done something about it before Sunday.
Posted by: GrimRob, May 13, 2015, 7:40am; Reply: 39
OP has the most talked about hair since David Beckham
Posted by: gtfc98, May 13, 2015, 8:50am; Reply: 40
Quoted from Spiritater

Would be surprised if that's the case. I'd imagine he'd want to see what league we're going to be in next year before he turns down any contract at Mansfield. We might not be able to afford him if we're still in this league.
Posted by: cleethorpes_mariner, May 13, 2015, 9:14am; Reply: 41
Quoted from Spiritater

Cant see this being true as I don't think we have done any contract offers yet, Hurst said he would wait till after Sunday before  speaking to players. Why upset players who dont get contract offers before the biggest game for years.
Posted by: Trawler, May 13, 2015, 9:34am; Reply: 42

Cant see this being true as I don't think we have done any contract offers yet, Hurst said he would wait till after Sunday before  speaking to players. Why upset players who dont get contract offers before the biggest game for years.

You have got the wrong end of the stick cleethopres_mariner.  Spiritater is a Mansfield fan. He was talking about the contract Mansfield offered Palmer.
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 13, 2015, 9:36am; Reply: 43

When Spiritater said "we've", as a Mansfield fan I would assume he was talking about an offer from Mansfield rather than Grimsby.
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 13, 2015, 9:37am; Reply: 44
Apologies Trawler you beat me to it :P
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, May 13, 2015, 10:07am; Reply: 45
"When Ollie Palmer reached Wembley, he burnt his contract offers. As a result, he'll be well motivated for Sunday".

(spoken in a Scottish / Lithuanian accent)

Hunt for League Two Football
Posted by: Trawler, May 13, 2015, 10:19am; Reply: 46
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
"When Ollie Palmer reached Wembley, he burnt his contract offers. As a result, he'll be well motivated for Sunday".

(spoken in a Scottish / Lithuanian accent)

Hunt for League Two Football

Agreed. Had a flutter on him to score first - 15/2 with Bet365
Posted by: cleethorpes_mariner, May 13, 2015, 12:33pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from Trawler

You have got the wrong end of the stick cleethopres_mariner.  Spiritater is a Mansfield fan. He was talking about the contract Mansfield offered Palmer.

Sorry my mistake, As its a GTFC forum I wrongly thought he was talking about us and not Mansfield
Posted by: Trawler, May 13, 2015, 1:07pm; Reply: 48

Sorry my mistake, As its a GTFC forum I wrongly thought he was talking about us and not Mansfield

You're forgiven. I admit I also got the wrong end of the stick until I saw the username.
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 9:02am