Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: N2K, May 4, 2015, 8:04pm
Should PH try and sign him on a permanent deal? Personally, I see good potential in him and we should keep him, even if he was to go out on loan for a season or two.
Posted by: BIGChris, May 4, 2015, 8:06pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from N2K
Should PH try and sign him on a permanent deal? Personally, I see good potential in him and we should keep him, even if he was to go out on loan for a season or two.

A season or two??

How long a contract you expecting him to get 3, 5 years???
Posted by: N2K, May 4, 2015, 8:08pm; Reply: 2
Well seeing as he's a young lad you'd want him on a long-ish contract.
Posted by: biggles9999, May 4, 2015, 8:49pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from N2K
Well seeing as he's a young lad you'd want him on a long-ish contract.

He is 24 in September, out on loan from a (currently midtable) conference team and although I think he looks decent I wouldn't want him in ahead of Mackreth or Arnold.

With regards to length of contract, tell me the last player we gave more than a 2/2.5 year deal too. Wood was it? We don't do it and never will with our current finances.
Posted by: wycombemariner, May 4, 2015, 9:36pm; Reply: 4
It'll be interesting to see what contract lengths we offer should we be successful and go up.  Will we see a return of 2/3/4 year deals?
Posted by: BIGChris, May 4, 2015, 9:42pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from wycombemariner
It'll be interesting to see what contract lengths we offer should we be successful and go up.  Will we see a return of 2/3/4 year deals?

Doubt we will go for 3 or 4yr deals Wikkers. Tbh I think they are a thing of the past in the lower reaches. Clubs cannot risk having a long deal round their necks if a player is injured or simply a dud
Posted by: SamTheMariner, May 4, 2015, 9:51pm; Reply: 6
I suspect he'd offer 2/3 year deals to Pearson, Magnay and possibly Lenny as he trusts them, they are not injury prone, know the club. This would only occur though if we go up otherwise Pearson and Magnay may want a crack at the league. We also don't know how many players have clauses on their contracts. Several I guess.
Posted by: horsforthmariner, May 4, 2015, 10:28pm; Reply: 7
1 year deal next season is what I would give him. Looks useful but he's not going to get us ££££ so why take the risk beyond 1 year.
Posted by: BIGChris, May 5, 2015, 6:35am; Reply: 8
IF we go up then I think I would pass on Chappell. Would need better IMO
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 5, 2015, 7:19am; Reply: 9
Quoted from SamTheMariner
I suspect he'd offer 2/3 year deals to Pearson, Magnay and possibly Lenny as he trusts them, they are not injury prone, know the club. This would only occur though if we go up otherwise Pearson and Magnay may want a crack at the league. We also don't know how many players have clauses on their contracts. Several I guess.

Apart from Macca everyone else is up this summer so the clause issue does not matter. Pretty much agree with the above if we go up or not most would be offered a year.  

PH has been cute with his loanees Parslow - Not wanted by Russ Wilcox, Arnold - Cambridge deal up this summer, Chappell - Sounds like he's home sick for the North, Jolley - Deal up this summer, Gowling - Gone on record saying he wants to stay, Palmer - Not sure about his situation and possibly been in the shop window with his performances on BT on Sunday & versus Barnet. Gregor - At the back end of his career. All could be options who knows? Lets get the 17th out of the way first.      
Posted by: Abdul19, May 5, 2015, 12:35pm; Reply: 10
Is that 'cute', or is it just signing players who aren't wanted (because if they were we wouldn't have been able to sign them(although Gowling's different))?

Either way, Arnold and Gowling are certainly excellent loanees.

(Robertson and Jolley are ours though)
Posted by: RichMariner, May 5, 2015, 5:04pm; Reply: 11
We gave Hearn a three-year deal and got one good year out of him.

Obviously no one knows what will happen to a player after they sign on the dotted line, but it makes sense to sign them on one-year deals with a clause to say that if they play more than X amount of games it triggers the option for an extension.

That way, if the player is fit enough then we have the option to keep for longer without having to open new negotiations.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, May 5, 2015, 5:19pm; Reply: 12
We had Bognit on one of those deals and look where it got us.
Also lennie triggereda similar clause,
Question, would Paul have let him go if he hadn't have triggered that clause??
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, May 5, 2015, 8:27pm; Reply: 13
Not in my opinion no - backed up by the fact Lenny has started virtually every game while fit!
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 6, 2015, 10:40am; Reply: 14
To players like Pearson, Magnay and LJL a 2 year deal with a option of a 3rd is deserved,

Others a 1 year deal with an option is fair,

That's if we are still in the conference,

If we are in L2 then more players could be handed a longer deal,

I really hope we are a league side next season then with the extra cash we can look after the players better,

Macca should also get a longer contract as well of course.
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 6, 2015, 10:58am; Reply: 15
Far too risky offering players medium-long term deals at this level.  

We got burnt a bit with Hearn, one good season and then he was injured for the next two.   That left us with a large wage that we were paying with no return for two campaigns.  

With regards Chappell, in the few sub appearances he made I wasn't overly impressed with him and thought he was about as good as the vast majority of loan wingers we sign, play a few games and never hear from again.  Against Aldershot though I thought he looked excellent, albeit he was against a poor side.  
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 10:01pm