Print Topic - Archive

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 4, 2015, 8:29am
I hope everyone has now calmed down a bit after yesterdays celebrations. I've nothing against people celebrating like they did yesterday BUT we have won nothing yet.

The big game is a week on Sunday, lose that and yesterday will have all been for nothing.

I would say that the game v Bristol Rovers is THE BIGGEST GAME IN OUR HISTORY. Some might say that was Burton, but that game was out of our hands and even if we had won that day, we would have still gone down. This time around destiny is in our hands, win and we'll be back in the Football League and dreaming of trips to Accrington, Dagenham and Hartlepool.

I'm sure PH will have the players well prepared for the game and even though I would think we will probably be outnumbered 2 to 1 by Rovers fans on the day, I hope we turn up in our numbers to spoil their day and send them back home to the West Country miserable,

UTM. GTID.
Posted by: jaymariner, May 4, 2015, 8:44am; Reply: 1
Well said!!

It's a 1 game season now and we need everyone behind the team. UTM!!
Posted by: WokingMariner, May 4, 2015, 9:01am; Reply: 2
Would argue that the FA Cup semi finals in the 30s were possibly bigger, What about the play-offs finals with Cheltenham and Northampton?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 4, 2015, 9:29am; Reply: 3
Quoted from Les Brechin
I hope everyone has now calmed down a bit after yesterdays celebrations. I've nothing against people celebrating like they did yesterday BUT we have won nothing yet.

The big game is a week on Sunday, lose that and yesterday will have all been for nothing.

I would say that the game v Bristol Rovers is THE BIGGEST GAME IN OUR HISTORY. Some might say that was Burton, but that game was out of our hands and even if we had won that day, we would have still gone down. This time around destiny is in our hands, win and we'll be back in the Football League and dreaming of trips to [b]Accrington, Dagenham and Hartlepool.[/b]

I'm sure PH will have the players well prepared for the game and even though I would think we will probably be outnumbered 2 to 1 by Rovers fans on the day, I hope we turn up in our numbers to spoil their day and send them back home to the West Country miserable,

UTM. GTID.

My spine's tingling at the prospect!  ;)
Posted by: LondonMariner43, May 4, 2015, 9:30am; Reply: 4
Somehow being outnumbered in fans and underdogs from the league table makes me believe we can do it.  The squad seem to respond to that sort of situation.
Posted by: thevera, May 4, 2015, 9:38am; Reply: 5
Agree with Les, yesterday was just another step on the way. I have a Magnay of Champagne which will remain on ice for another couple of weeks.
Posted by: Civvy at last, May 4, 2015, 10:01am; Reply: 6
Of course yesterday was just another step. But it doesn't stop us enjoying the moment. My lad is 15 and Although he enjoys watching town. Yesterday he was absolutely buzzing.  I've had many of these days with Town, but Alfreton away and yesterday were his first taste of what following a club can be really like.  His generation are the future of this club and days like yesterday prove that physically supporting your team is so much better than watching plastic Mancs or Mockneys on sky.
This build up to Wembley will be ten times better than the tin pot cup final.
I know it's not done yet. But let's enjoy it while we can.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, May 4, 2015, 10:24am; Reply: 7
Quoted from Civvy at last

This build up to Wembley will be ten times better than the tin pot cup final.
I know it's not done yet. But let's enjoy it while we can.

Absolutely this.
Supporting a football team is all about days like yesterday. I understand that we've not gone up (yet) but that doesn't mean we shouldn't celebrate successes along the way. We've now go 2 weeks of anticipation and you've got to try to enjoy it.
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 4, 2015, 10:24am; Reply: 8
Quoted from WokingMariner
Would argue that the FA Cup semi finals in the 30s were possibly bigger, What about the play-offs finals with Cheltenham and Northampton?

In my opinion, a game that will see us regain our league status is more important than a cup game (albeit it a semi-final) or either of those play-off games, which would still have seen us as a league team regardless of result.
Posted by: Garth, May 4, 2015, 10:31am; Reply: 9
Yesterday was fantastic, plenty of time to act sensible a week before the final, until then let's remain excited
Posted by: LH, May 4, 2015, 10:36am; Reply: 10
I'm walking around the house whistling Que Cera Cera and Wem-ber-ley already. Occasionally fist pumping too. I flipping love watching Town at Wembley.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, May 4, 2015, 11:11am; Reply: 11
Agree Les. Very good summary and perspective.

Rovers fans recognise that we have improved considerably since they beat us.  They think though that they have improved even more!  This is nonsense really. It is like Coe v Ovett taking turns to break world records (For older fans).

We have won 11 and drawn 3 of our last 15.   That is 36 points.  Over the whole season that is over 110 points.  This is sufficient form to win at Wembley.

Rovers fans who came to BP also acknowledged that we had players missing on the day (they rightly made the same point in the home game).

They also think that Eastleigh gave us 2 goals yesterday, which they would not do (of course).  Besides the fact that Shop harried their defender that produced the mistake, ironically, Rovers would have gone up if they had not given away a very soft goal right at the end of the Dover match.

I believe that we can win at Wembley. 1-0 is enough.  We have an excellent away record, great team spirit and character and very good subs to bring on in a long and tiring game.

Goals are coming from around the team.  We have confidence and are winning without playing that well.  Even scoring excellent (difficult) goals, whilst still missing sitters. Still potential to improve if the desire is there (and without the nerves).

Given our play-off failures and years penance served in NL,  our desire to win might and should be greater than Bristol Rovers.  Fine margins might make the difference in the ffinal reckoning.  Let us hope so!
Posted by: Meza, May 4, 2015, 3:03pm; Reply: 12
Lets be honest BR vs FGR game showed me we have nothing to fear.  FGR were awful when they had posession of the ball i wouldn't exactly say it was BR brilliant play that won the game but FGR inability to make consecutive passes to team mates they offered zilch threat yesterday.  For me based on our game yesterday our forwards and wingers will give them a much harder contest.  

It will be a close game for sure but we have to make sure we play a bit of football and not just hoof it.

C'mon town we can do it.

Ps how fitting would it be if Disley scored the winner lol
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 4, 2015, 3:30pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Meza
Lets be honest BR vs FGR game showed me we have nothing to fear.  FGR were awful when they had posession of the ball i wouldn't exactly say it was BR brilliant play that won the game but FGR inability to make consecutive passes to team mates they offered zilch threat yesterday.  For me based on our game yesterday our forwards and wingers will give them a much harder contest.  

It will be a close game for sure but we have to make sure we play a bit of football and not just hoof it.

C'mon town we can do it.

Ps how fitting would it be if Disley scored the winner lol

I wonder if he'd celebrate if he did?  ;)
Posted by: Meza, May 4, 2015, 3:38pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Les Brechin

I wonder if he'd celebrate if he did?  ;)

I think he would like a deranged grimbarian lol
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 4:02pm