Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Jaws, May 2, 2015, 5:10pm
Cambridge were planning to (not sure if they actually did) breathlyse fans who look under the influence and denying entry to those who are twice the legal limit (which isn't a great deal).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/news/11578118/Football-fans-to-be-breathalysed-before-matches.html

Sick of football fans being treated like hooligans because of the minority. Other sports allow you to have your drink in your seat. At BP, in the pontoon anyway, you're ushered into a corner and made to feel like it's a dirty habit.

While we're on the subject of our minority of idiots. Why not have a few old bill on the edge of the pitch and a horse. Should stop any pitch invasion dead in it's tracks. Either that or wait for the idiots to pile on, get the police to trap them on the pitch and fine the lot. Proceeds to the trust...
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, May 2, 2015, 5:14pm; Reply: 1
Completely agree Jaws.  This sort of thing is typical of the contempt clubs and authorities have for football supporters.  If people really want to see public drunkenness from sports fans, they should try going to a Test Match Saturday or being at Waterloo Station any evening during Royal Ascot.
Posted by: GiveUsAG, May 2, 2015, 5:16pm; Reply: 2
A League Two football team has sparked a debate in the sport after announcing plans to breathalyse supporters before they go into the ground.

Cambridge United will become the first club in the country to carry out the precaution on fans entering the stadium as part of a bid to reduce anti-social behaviour.

The first initiative of its kind will be trialled at Saturday's (Today) game between League Two sides, Cambridge United and Burton Albion.

Stewards at Cambridge's Abbey Stadium will be presented with breathalyser devices called AlcoBlows, which will be used to measure whether fans are too drunk to be allowed entry.

While the breathalysers will not be used on every supporter attending the match, anyone who appears to be intoxicated will be asked to blow into the device.

If they are found to give a sample of 70 microgrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath, which is twice the legal drink drive limit, they will be refused admission.

But the decision has not been welcomed by all quarters in football.

Supporters' groups said the scheme was unnecessary as football arrests were at their lowest point ever and stewards already had the power to bar fans if they thought they were too drunk.

"Should GTFC do the same?" Is the question the Telegraph asks. NO! Is my answer.
It's an absolutely ridiculous idea in my opinion. How many fans have a few drinks before a match? I know hundreds of town fans alone (including myself) who have a few drinks before matches. WE ARE FOOTBALL FANS! NOT CRIMINALS! Plus, most football clubs serve alcohol, so it be hypocritical to stop fans drinking before a game.
Clubs shouldn't be treating fans as potential criminals. Yes there are some who go over the top with alcohol and miss behave, but they can be dealt with, without punishing other fans who simply just want to support their club and enjoy themselves. Just because some fans look mischievous and some are a bit loud, doesn't mean they are trouble makers or fuelled by alcohol.

Read more: http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Football-fans-breathalysed-games-GTFC/story-26430898-detail/story.html#ixzz3YzxBdkih
Follow us: @GrimsbyTel on Twitter | grimsbytel on Facebook

Thoughts?
Posted by: AdamHaddock, May 2, 2015, 5:22pm; Reply: 3
I'll drink to that
Posted by: GiveUsAG, May 2, 2015, 5:24pm; Reply: 4
"Should GTFC do the same?" Is the question the Telegraph asks. NO! Is my answer.
It's an absolutely ridiculous idea in my opinion. How many fans have a few drinks before a match? I know hundreds of town fans alone (including myself) who have a few drinks before matches. WE ARE FOOTBALL FANS! NOT CRIMINALS! Plus, most football clubs serve alcohol, so it be hypocritical to stop fans drinking before a game.
Clubs shouldn't be treating fans as potential criminals. Yes there are some who go over the top with alcohol and miss behave, but they can be dealt with, without punishing other fans who simply just want to support their club and enjoy themselves. Just because some fans look mischievous and some are a bit loud, doesn't mean they are trouble makers or fuelled by alcohol.

P.S. Didn't realise a thread had been made on this subject, probably just as I typed the other one up. Can the one I started be merged or deleted admins?Please? :)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 2, 2015, 5:24pm; Reply: 5
Don't forget rugby days Hackney. OK not known for their gang fights but some get very peshed out and about. But with them it's classed as "hi-jinx".
Posted by: Jaws, May 2, 2015, 5:33pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from GiveUsAG

P.S. Didn't realise a thread had been made on this subject, probably just as I typed the other one up. Can the one I started be merged or deleted admins?Please? :)

Yours was much more informative - I probably started/finished mine whilst you were part-way through yours.
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, May 2, 2015, 5:36pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Don't forget rugby days Hackney. OK not known for their gang fights but some get very peshed out and about. But with them it's classed as "hi-jinx".

Good point.  Hopefully in a few weeks, I'll be at W****** watching Town.  The day before, I'll be at Twickenham for the Rugby 7's.  According to the police, I can have a drink in my seat at Twickenham, yet if I do the same at football I'm going to stab someone.
Posted by: GiveUsAG, May 2, 2015, 5:37pm; Reply: 8
A League Two football team has sparked a debate in the sport after announcing plans to breathalyse supporters before they go into the ground.

Cambridge United will become the first club in the country to carry out the precaution on fans entering the stadium as part of a bid to reduce anti-social behaviour.

The first initiative of its kind will be trialled at Saturday's (Today) game between League Two sides, Cambridge United and Burton Albion.

Stewards at Cambridge's Abbey Stadium will be presented with breathalyser devices called AlcoBlows, which will be used to measure whether fans are too drunk to be allowed entry.

While the breathalysers will not be used on every supporter attending the match, anyone who appears to be intoxicated will be asked to blow into the device.

If they are found to give a sample of 70 microgrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath, which is twice the legal drink drive limit, they will be refused admission.

But the decision has not been welcomed by all quarters in football.

Supporters' groups said the scheme was unnecessary as football arrests were at their lowest point ever and stewards already had the power to bar fans if they thought they were too drunk.

Copy and paste job, more information for those who don't like the dodgy telegraph website.  ;)
Posted by: wigworld, May 2, 2015, 5:41pm; Reply: 9
Who will be paying for these breathlysers? Or the extra stewards to do the tests? Will there be an increase in ticket costs, or will the police reduce their charge to the club, as there will be less trouble as a result of these measures? I'd guess the former is more likely.  :(
Posted by: grimps, May 2, 2015, 6:07pm; Reply: 10
Let's hope all fans boycott the Abbey stadium until they stop
Posted by: moosey_club, May 2, 2015, 10:19pm; Reply: 11
Some bloody nice pubs in Cambridge too....booooooo.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, May 2, 2015, 10:51pm; Reply: 12
Towns average of 611 away fans would've been more like 211 if this was standard procedure .
Posted by: GrimRob, May 3, 2015, 12:05am; Reply: 13
Unless there is a section of the population in Cambridge who would attend but for the drunkenness and debauchery on display then it seems a very poor business plan to turn away a significant percentage of your regular customers. I would expect them to be returning back whence they came if they continue to conduct themselves like this. Cambidge City must be rubbing their hands with glee.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 3, 2015, 9:47am; Reply: 14
Bonkers. If someone isn't obviously drunk and disorderly why bother with a breathyliser? What's the problem. If they are aggressive and in their cups no need to breathylise them!

And if they're zombified as my mate was at Eastleigh they're too pushed to lift a finger.  ;)

Bonkers, own goal by Cambridge Utd.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, May 3, 2015, 10:04am; Reply: 15
Will it be a lower limit if your Scottish?  ;D ;D ;D
Print page generated: April 23, 2024, 9:05pm