Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 1, 2015, 8:12am
Sad to see that Gary has died at his home in Scotland. He was an underrated and unsung player at the start of the great side with Kev Moore, Jack Lewis, Tony Ford & co in the late 70s. He was unfortunate to break his leg twice but recovered well each time. Good in the air although not hugely tall and a very good target man with the likes of Terry Donovan. RIP Gary.

[url]http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/article/r.i.p.-garry-liddle-2433557.aspx[/url]
Posted by: gary_elton, May 1, 2015, 8:15am; Reply: 1
RIP Garry.....  sad news indeed
Posted by: fleabag1970, May 1, 2015, 8:17am; Reply: 2
RIP ................
Posted by: RoboCod, May 1, 2015, 8:18am; Reply: 3
That's a real shame. You're right RonRaffs, he was the archetypal under rated player. Think it was Kev Drinkell who once said he was his favourite strike partner. Always a willing runner with great work rate, attributes always overlooked by big sections of the crowd.
Posted by: LondonMariner43, May 1, 2015, 8:20am; Reply: 4
Sad to hear - a player from when I started watching Town.  Helped kick off a wonderful era under Newman, Kerr and Booth.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, May 1, 2015, 8:20am; Reply: 5
RIP Gary! Got fond memories of him as a player.
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 1, 2015, 8:45am; Reply: 6
Heard this on the coach on the way to Eastleigh yesterday. Sad news indeed.

RIP Gary.
Posted by: gobby, May 1, 2015, 8:49am; Reply: 7
RIP. :'(
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, May 1, 2015, 9:04am; Reply: 8
He was often jeered but I personally thought he had a lot to his game and being very young at the time he was a idol of mine RIP
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 1, 2015, 9:04am; Reply: 9
Very sad news, amongst our group he was one of our favourite players at that time, a bit of a legend in fact. :'(
Posted by: bobbyturtle, May 1, 2015, 9:08am; Reply: 10
rip
Posted by: chaos33, May 1, 2015, 9:17am; Reply: 11
I'd like to suggest that yesterday's victory is dedicated to GL.
Posted by: Garth, May 1, 2015, 9:17am; Reply: 12
A good player for us in a team with plenty of talent, RIP Garry
Posted by: forza ivano, May 1, 2015, 9:31am; Reply: 13
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
He was often jeered but I personally thought he had a lot to his game and being very young at the time he was a idol of mine RIP

agree dapperz. i always thought he was a very skilful tricky player who was much underrated. 61 is far too young to go.RIP Gary liddell
Posted by: Marinerz93, May 1, 2015, 9:41am; Reply: 14
Shocked to hear this, RIP Gary.
Posted by: RonMariner, May 1, 2015, 9:49am; Reply: 15
Really sorry to hear this. He gave it everything on the pitch. Total commitment.

Very sad. RIP.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 1, 2015, 10:10am; Reply: 16
Always gave 100% for the club, RIP
Posted by: crusty ole pie, May 1, 2015, 10:23am; Reply: 17
Rip Gary x
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 1, 2015, 11:01am; Reply: 18
RIP Gary remember you well,

Only 61 still a young man,
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 1, 2015, 11:12am; Reply: 19
Did Gary score the equaliser at Wolves in the League Cup replay, I remember we went on the special train that broke down in Lincoln and we arrived late. I think we were 1-0 down and seem to remember it was Gary that scored at the far end of the ground.

I have tried searching on google but no luck.
Posted by: barralad, May 1, 2015, 11:20am; Reply: 20
Quoted from arryarryarry
Did Gary score the equaliser at Wolves in the League Cup replay, I remember we went on the special train that broke down in Lincoln and we arrived late. I think we were 1-0 down and seem to remember it was Gary that scored at the far end of the ground.

I have tried searching on google but no luck.

It definitely was mate! I think it went in off his back/shoulder/ar*e but as I remember none of us cared very much! :)

I also remember him scoring two in the first game of that season in a 4-1 win over Exeter in what must have been his debut....
Posted by: BIGChris, May 1, 2015, 12:10pm; Reply: 21
Good player as many have stated above but also a larger than life character off the pitch too.

Some will remember that he attended the Mariners Trust 1980 reunion dinner. At the evening Gary approached me and said he had brought some memorabilia with him which he would like to donate. He told me he was staying at the Dovedale and I arranged to visit him the following morning at 11am.

When I arrived i told the receptionist i had come to see Mr Liddell who was a guests with them. She looked in her book and looked up at me and said

'erm.......I dont think Mr Liddell will be up yet'

When i enquired why. she told me that when she turned up for work at 8.45 that morning she found Gary asleep on the floor behind the reception desk and struggled to wake him. She said he was very drunk.

She showed me to his room and as we approached the door was wide open. I expected to find him sleeping off his hangover. As I peered in, he was stood there, beaming smile and ready to take on the world. Fresh as a daisy!

He was ready to go again and he was meeting Joe Waters & Mike Lester at 12 noon for another session.

RIP Gary.

PS Gary's match worn shirt which he gave me that day is in the Family Lounge bar.
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 1, 2015, 1:07pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from barralad

It definitely was mate! I think it went in off his back/shoulder/ar*e but as I remember none of us cared very much! :)

I also remember him scoring two in the first game of that season in a 4-1 win over Exeter in what must have been his debut....

Cheers ;)
Posted by: ginnywings, May 1, 2015, 1:27pm; Reply: 23
The LJL of his day? Much derided but better than given credit for. Would run through a brick wall for the team.

RIP Gary.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, May 1, 2015, 2:32pm; Reply: 24
RIP
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 1, 2015, 2:50pm; Reply: 25
Sad news RIP, always played with a smile on his face from what I remember.
Posted by: cannylad68, May 1, 2015, 2:51pm; Reply: 26
[quote=799]The LJL of his day? Much derided but better than given credit for. Would run through a brick wall for the team.

LJL

You must be joking.

He was an excellent player, coming to us from Leeds United.

I spoke with him on a few occasions and found him to be a very nice and humble person.

Posted by: BIGChris, May 1, 2015, 2:58pm; Reply: 27
LIDDELL
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 1, 2015, 3:52pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from BIGChris
LIDDELL

Oh sod it, somebody noticed! Serves me right for copy and paste from the club website!

As people have said, Gary was more than just a journeyman runabout centre forward. He had great skill and could pick a pass at a much higher level than we are now. His link up play with Joe Waters was excellent. Thoroughly nice chap as well.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 1, 2015, 4:05pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from cannylad68
[quote=799]The LJL of his day? Much derided but better than given credit for. Would run through a brick wall for the team.

LJL

You must be joking.

He was an excellent player, coming to us from Leeds United.

I spoke with him on a few occasions and found him to be a very nice and humble person.

No, not joking. He was way better than LJL but got a lot of stick. We were at a lot higher level then and he got plenty of abuse as I remember it. That's my memory anyway.
Posted by: tintowner, May 1, 2015, 4:06pm; Reply: 30
RIP Gary
Posted by: jock dock tower, May 1, 2015, 4:33pm; Reply: 31
So young to be taken. His commitment could never be faulted and as others have said, he'd run through a brick wall.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, May 1, 2015, 4:42pm; Reply: 32
R.I.P. Gary a great player at a golden time in our history so sad to hear of this. I hope the lads can get us back where Gary once played for us. UTM.  
Posted by: Madeleymariner, May 1, 2015, 4:58pm; Reply: 33
I remember he always looked like his shirt was 3 sizes too big with his sleeves so long you couldn't see his hands.
Posted by: Badger57, May 1, 2015, 5:23pm; Reply: 34
Sad news.
Thanks for the memories Gary Liddell in the middle! :-)
Posted by: acko338, May 1, 2015, 5:49pm; Reply: 35
Can't remember which match, but can recall one shot from him hitting the corner flag, and less than 5 minutes later smacking the ball past a keeper from just outside the area - too young for anyone to die - RIP.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 1, 2015, 10:09pm; Reply: 36
RIP Gary. Too too young. Can't believe another one from that era has gone already.

Condolences to his family.
Posted by: Teestogreen, May 2, 2015, 8:05pm; Reply: 37
RIP Gary Liddell and condolences to his family.

I remember a particularly famous game (was there) at Rochdale at Spotland, when Town were chasing promotion and we went 2-0 down early on. Gary Liddell scored after this and we went on to win 5-2 - and kept up the momentum to gain promotion that season.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 2, 2015, 9:36pm; Reply: 38
Remember a really neat goal from Gary in the League Cup at home to Notts County. I think he may have got two that night........That season and the one before he popped up on a few occasions to score important goals.  
Posted by: TonySmith, May 2, 2015, 11:22pm; Reply: 39
I remember that game against Notts County vividly. They were top of the second division at the time and we were somewhere in the lower reaches of the third. We played them off the park, won 3-1, and set up an epic victory over Everton. I don't honestly recall our goal scorers in the Notts County win, though I well remember Brolly's two against Everton in the next round. I attended that game with an Everton supporting friend from Hull University, which made the win doubly sweet.
  As for Gary Liddell, I recall him as a bit slight of build but quite a skillful forward who scored some nice goals. I have a memory of a happy day out at Sheffield United thanks to a goal from Gary. Sad news, anyway, and sincere condolences to his family, friends, and former colleagues.  
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 9:03pm