Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: WokingMariner, April 30, 2015, 10:56pm
Fantastic atmosphere fantastic goals, equaliser was a shame but our response to it was superb. Arnold the stand out player. Good to see so many Town young fans, there's plenty of people going to watch this team who will be fans for life.

Nothing can beat being there.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, April 30, 2015, 10:57pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from WokingMariner
Fantastic atmosphere fantastic goals, equaliser was a shame but our response to it was superb. Arnold the stand out player. Good to see so many Town young fans, there's plenty of people going to watch this team who will be fans for life.

Wish I'd been able to go. Delighted with the result and pleased for all those that made that trek on a Thursday night.
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 30, 2015, 11:01pm; Reply: 2
I could only hear the town fans apart from 5 mins after they had scored,

Well done town,

Well done fans (groupwave)
Posted by: LH, April 30, 2015, 11:06pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from WokingMariner

Dead right. Some bell end in the Cricks was cheering when Eastleigh scored theirs tonight.
Posted by: highcliff mariner, April 30, 2015, 11:11pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from LH

Dead right. Some bell end in the Cricks was cheering when Eastleigh scored theirs tonight.

Did he have a Man U/city , Chelsea / Liverpool/ arsenal , shirt on ?
Posted by: nickmariners, May 1, 2015, 12:11am; Reply: 5
Well that went and felt a thousand times better than the semis at Newport and Gateshead didn't it?

Too tense to play proper attention to finer detail - but did see that we had passion, commitment and Nathan flippin' Arnold.

We also had outstanding, brilliant support. Terrific atmosphere all match long.

Great game to be at - and fair play to Eastleigh who battled on the pitch, and who, off the pitch organised the evening really well.

Rubbish trains and traffic from SW London to South coast tonight. But so what - great win!!! UTMM
Posted by: forza ivano, May 1, 2015, 12:32am; Reply: 6
Damn,thought I'd be first back! Kebab and a glass of Shiraz have never tasted so sweet, little bit chaotic organisation.think some fans might still be trying to get out of the car park.pleasant little set up. V rural.friendly people who were doing their best. Great vocal support.
Two great goals by Arnold but didn't feel he did too much else in the last hour, bit like Palmer who also faded out of the picture after a barn storming opening. Ref was excellent, but was let down by his assistants. Mckeown looked v nervy whilst toto had a shocker, brown n disley did so much good work in midfield. Gowling was a good selection .showed a lot of maturity did loads of talking and organising and kept everyone calm and focussed.Shop n Pearson won so many headers against far bigger opponents they were both superb.but for me motm was mckreth who was everywhere and really played his heart out.
Really good team performance. Twelve months ago we would have buckled under the onslaught but this lot are made of sterner stuff. Good to see they have retained the gy trait of making things as difficult as possible for themselves! Should've been out of sight.lets just hope they can retain the confidence, energy verve and organisation in front of a packed BP, which they have failed to do on so many previous occasions. It ain't over yet folks
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 1, 2015, 12:39am; Reply: 7
Agree with Nick and Woking. Great atmosphere. Battling display - from some of the Eastleigh players "battling" wouldn't be much of an exaggeration (anyone else see Counstable punch a Town player?). And Nathan Arnold - you beauty!

Even the coppers seemed friendly.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 1, 2015, 12:41am; Reply: 8
Should add v impressed with jamie Turley their centre half.mixed race lad number 25, v quick and strong.looked to have everything under control particularly second half
Posted by: gaz57, May 1, 2015, 12:47am; Reply: 9
Quoted from highcliff mariner

Did he have a Man U/city , Chelsea / Liverpool/ arsenal , shirt on ?

I didn't realise it was that cold  :o
Posted by: mariner91, May 1, 2015, 12:51am; Reply: 10
Quoted from forza ivano
Should add v impressed with jamie Turley their centre half.mixed race lad number 25, v quick and strong.looked to have everything under control particularly second half

Agreed, was thinking if we needed a CB over the summer he would be an excellent addition.
Posted by: mariner91, May 1, 2015, 12:58am; Reply: 11
Pearson man of the match for me, won pretty much everything in the air. Great battling performance from all the team. Macca looked nervous as hell and Toto wasn't at his best. I would drop Palmer for Pittman on Saturday, he has really gone off the boil. Get the ball wide early on Saturday and really have a go at their defence. The Town fans were magnificent, hope it came across well on TV. The second half was particularly good when most people moved into the same stand.
Posted by: nightrider, May 1, 2015, 1:05am; Reply: 12
LJL mom imo. The amount of running he did
Palmer probably played his last game for us? Not even sure his size is an asset anymore.
Would like to see the penalty shout again, was a worrying moment!
Posted by: forza ivano, May 1, 2015, 1:09am; Reply: 13
Quoted from nightrider
LJL mom imo. The amount of running he did
Palmer probably played his last game for us? Not even sure his size is an asset anymore.
Would like to see the penalty shout again, was a worrying moment!

Forgot to mention that shop played his part defensively.was v strong at their corners and won a number of headers from their set pieces
Posted by: nightrider, May 1, 2015, 1:17am; Reply: 14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-Ljf40QxOQ
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, May 1, 2015, 1:23am; Reply: 15
Very quickly; Dis and Pearson excellent, Gowling likewise. For me ref should've booked their lad early on for the cynical foul on the sideline, walked the lad who elbowed Disley but also how he didn't give a pen for Maccas Rush of blood is beyond me.
Need sleep
Posted by: Caesar, May 1, 2015, 1:30am; Reply: 16
What a fantastic bloody feeling!

Arnold has to be MOM for his 2 goals and some very good runs but a lot of good performances.  Agree that Mackreth was excellent in his defensive duties though and could of pushed him close as could Pearson.  Agree with the comments about McKewan, didn't look too comfortable and at times thought he was almost too 'up for it' and could of possibly benefited from being calmer.  Looking forward to seeing the game again on BT sport to examine our performance in more detail though, a nice luxary to have.  

Crowd were superb although why did the tools throw smokebombs?  Apart from that particuarly in the second half when the two groups of singing fans united in the main stand it was great to hear.  Also agree, think Eastliegh could have a lot better facilities and roads leading to the ground but they made up for it in excellent and friendly staff!  Cannot wait for Sunday now!

UTM
Posted by: BIGChris, May 1, 2015, 7:27am; Reply: 17
Agree with Ceasar although I think McKeown was 'targeted' by Eastleigh from the start. They left their foot in on him several times and seemed lots of verbal stuff too. No excuse mind.

Outside of his goals I have to tdtally disagree with Ivano as I thought Arnold was superb when we didn't have the ball. His work rate and sheer pace to get back and chase men down was first class.

Pearson got his head to everything and although Toto's use of the ball was Parslowesque he defended very well.

Really really enjoyed the atmosphere. Fantastic loud support which must have helped the players dig in when they needed too.

Not over yet. Get to BP on Sunday if there is anyway you can

UTM
Posted by: chicaneuk, May 1, 2015, 7:31am; Reply: 18
It has to be either Pearson for his consistent, solid defence or Arnold for two absolutely sublime strikes for Man of the Match.
Posted by: big al, May 1, 2015, 8:09am; Reply: 19
Quoted from LH

Slightly dangerous I'd have thought. Strange mentality. Maybe one of too many sadly, in Grimsby, who don Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea shirts, turning their backs on what football should really be about.

UTM
Posted by: Trawler, May 1, 2015, 8:13am; Reply: 20
Still taking it all in.

Firstly our fans - just awesome. It is a privilege to stand among support any club would be proud of. Non stop passion and noise. It was ace.

To dig a victory out of the travel chaos that delayed our arrival is a real credit to the team. Mentally they can't have been prepared properly so to come flying out of the blocks like they did is credit worthy.

Nathan Arnold was outstanding. His goals were things of beauty. A mesmerising performance. Never stopped running. Non stop pace and trickery and always looking to pull the trigger.   His performance of the season by far. Two more like that will see us promoted and him playing in L1.

Pearson also deserved the plaudits on here. A rock.

2 more games lads.

Allyallyallyooooohhh
Posted by: Meza, May 1, 2015, 8:44am; Reply: 21
Watch the game on BT and didn't like the way Eastleigh were holding our players and then complaining that we were holding them, when you look closer our players weren't even touching them.  I think they did it 3/4 times in and around the box, and they were successful on 1 occasion.  Dirty tactics, and no doubt will get worse in the 2nd leg.  We need that early goal, and then go on and smash them.

I thought Pearson was a rock, in fact nobody really had a bad game
Posted by: RoboCod, May 1, 2015, 8:53am; Reply: 22
Quoted from Meza
Watch the game on BT and didn't like the way Eastleigh were holding our players and then complaining that we were holding them, when you look closer our players weren't even touching them.  I think they did it 3/4 times in and around the box, and they were successful on 1 occasion.  Dirty tactics, and no doubt will get worse in the 2nd leg.  

McAllister was behind the ball in our box,with Toto running in ahead of him and guiding the ball away. McAllister wrapped his arm around Toto, running alongside him,NOWHERE near the ball and as Toto clears, McAllister stops playing and runs over to the ref ordering a penalty. Shocking stuff, you'll always see players give a hopeful shout and then get on with the game but the look on McAllisters face was one of horror that somehow a stonewall penalty had been turned down.

Fookin' awful team, and awful manager.
Posted by: chaos33, May 1, 2015, 9:27am; Reply: 23
I agree mate. I've played against teams like that and you take great joy in beating a bunch of moaning, cheating to$$ers. I'm sure our players did.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, May 1, 2015, 9:32am; Reply: 24
Hurst got it all spot on IMO, knew they will try to 'bully us' and we didn't get involved, put a tall defence out, and every player give 100%, well done Hurst !
Posted by: gary_elton, May 1, 2015, 10:10am; Reply: 25
I think they will be very physical at BP  , try and kick our lads out of their stride... if you thought cheating and
gamesmanship was rife at their gaff , wait until |Sunday...

we'll need to be mentally strong , not get roped in... and hope we have another strong referee
Posted by: sam gy, May 1, 2015, 10:20am; Reply: 26
Amazing atmosphere and goals. Essentially it's only half time, so don't want to get too carried away just yet...but I'm pretty buzzing.

Was amusing going to a ground with no proper footpaths accessing it...one of those non-league quirks I guess, but I'll gladly trade them for a spot in the league.

Another nice touch was bumping into Lee Peacock in the car park, who is now part of the youth set up at Eastleigh. Really nice/funny guy, had a lot of good words to say about the club/fans and absolutely no good words to say about Rob Scott haha.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, May 1, 2015, 4:16pm; Reply: 27
At 4am and work for 7. Sizzling steak now with a few beers and early night, I'm getting too old for all this.
That turn out was stunning considering we didn't know where we would be playing until Saturday and therefore basically just having 3 days to plan etc.
Absolutely brilliant effort by everyone.
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 1, 2015, 4:23pm; Reply: 28
We're the Grimsby, the Mighty Grimsby,
We always win awayyy,
We always win awayyy.

A win-away a-win-away
A-win-away a-win-away
A-win-away a-win-away

Brilliant night. Made the nightmare traffic on the way there worthwhile, plus getting in at 4am and up for work at 7.
Posted by: northbankmariner, May 1, 2015, 4:58pm; Reply: 29
Les that song is shocking, but so shocking that it is actually not bad. And very apt for this season especially. Glad the journey was worth it for you and every other fan there.
Posted by: KK_DOG, May 1, 2015, 5:06pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Les Brechin
We always win awayyy,
We always win awayyy.

A win-away a-win-away
A-win-away a-win-away
A-win-away a-win-away

Brilliant night. Made the nightmare traffic on the way there worthwhile, plus getting in at 4am and up for work at 7.

Don't give up your day job. Saw you on the tele, think it was before the game started.

Posted by: cmackenzie4, May 1, 2015, 7:48pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Les Brechin
We always win awayyy,
We always win awayyy.

A win-away a-win-away
A-win-away a-win-away
A-win-away a-win-away

That's dedication Les, you are a true fan mate, I was looking for you on the TV last night but you must of been in the bar!  ;D
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 1, 2015, 8:03pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from cmackenzie4

That's dedication Les, you are a true fan mate, I was looking for you on the TV last night but you must of been in the bar!  ;D

Apparently I was on about 15 minutes before kick-off. I got a few texts at the time from people saying they'd seen my ugly mug.

We walked down to a nearby rugby club and had a couple of pints in there before the game seeing that no away fans were allowed in their bar.
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, May 1, 2015, 8:12pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Les Brechin
We always win awayyy,
We always win awayyy.

A win-away a-win-away
A-win-away a-win-away
A-win-away a-win-away

I was there last night with my three young boys and they absolutely loved this song, me too.

Posted by: TownSNAFU5, May 1, 2015, 9:09pm; Reply: 34
Macca does not like being put under presssure. A few years ago he kicked the ball against an opponent  and it went in the net.  (At least that is what I remember).

Toto's error for their goal would have been ok if he was playing in his normal position. The ball would have then been clear of the goal.  

Overall, we are in an excellent position.  If we get to Wembley then we will get a lot of money - at the very least,
Posted by: mariner91, May 1, 2015, 9:25pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Macca does not like being put under presssure. A few years ago he kicked the ball against an opponent  and it went in the net.  (At least that is what I remember).

Toto's error for their goal would have been ok if he was playing in his normal position. The ball would have then been clear of the goal.   

Overall, we are in an excellent position.  If we get to Wembley then we will get a lot of money - at the very least,

How have you worked that out?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 1, 2015, 10:36pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Trawler

Allyallyallyooooohhh

Agh!! It took me most of the day to get that out of my head!  ;)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 1, 2015, 10:42pm; Reply: 37
I thought that "win away" song was one of the funniest moments of the night. First time I'd heard it.

Bit disappointed there was no high pitched "oooooh-ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh" bit in it though.
Posted by: Abdul19, May 2, 2015, 1:49am; Reply: 38
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

Ebbsfleet, during the 12 game good bit of the 11/12 season.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, May 2, 2015, 5:55am; Reply: 39
One avid GTFC fan I know who lives in GY will only go to away matches because he hates the negativity at BP and I must admit he does have a point. I hope Sunday is not the same we need to get behind the lads THE WHOLE TIME.

We use to once anyone remember those days??

btw Toto did make a bad error heading it into his own box under pressure but I will forgive him if he plays as well as he normally does on Sunday and Macca gets those nerves under control be more positive on crosses they WILL try to get under his skin again,

Don't bite Macca they are well known games man ship tactics you are a cracking keeper much better than that.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 6:02am