Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: JMT, April 28, 2015, 12:10pm
Posted by: LH, April 28, 2015, 12:41pm; Reply: 1
A classic example of why I hold The Fishy's opinion on football in such high regard.
Posted by: fleabag1970, April 28, 2015, 12:50pm; Reply: 2
Yep .... Right up there with " Disley is past it " and " Disley's legs have gone"
Posted by: Maringer, April 28, 2015, 12:53pm; Reply: 3
Plenty of egg on faces from that thread.

I guessed he'd be a bit-part, 4th choice midfielder, but he's made 40 appearances in the Conference and F.A. Cup and has been a starter in over three quarters of those games!

A competent enough player at this level though more goals/assists would have been nice.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, April 28, 2015, 1:08pm; Reply: 4
I'm more than happy to step forward and say I still think he is excrement.

Laters. (clap)
Posted by: moosey_club, April 28, 2015, 3:44pm; Reply: 5
"An astute signing is Clay.......LJL is instantly no longer the focus of everybodies attention and the sh1t can fly somewhere else, leaving him to relax and score thousands of goals."

My own words above from the original Clay has signed thread....almost right about the effect on LJL  ;)  

I am suprised he carried off that trophy, yes he has been a steady presence in the midfield and has dovetailed nicely with Disley but
I am extremely suprised he beat Nsiala to it, do we know if voting was restricted to people under 23 at the time of the presentation night?
Makreth and Nsiala have recently turned 23 so does that rule them out? If so Clay's competition for this award would have been..Draper, Bostock, Walker, Bemrose, Hamish and Chappel.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, April 28, 2015, 4:36pm; Reply: 6
It's not so much that he wasn't an OK player when he signed, it was more that we were in the "hairs on the back of your neck" stage at the time. So, Pittman & Clay as unknowns were very much a disappointment to supporters waiting for the big signing they were promised.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, April 28, 2015, 4:52pm; Reply: 7
It's not so much that he wasn't an OK player when he signed, it was more that we were in the "hairs on the back of your neck" stage at the time. So, Pittman & Clay as unknowns were very much a disappointment to supporters waiting for the big signing they were promised.

Indeed. And of course people can only comment on what they see at the time can't they? What were people on here supposed to say - " Wow, fantastic, what a signing the Mainers have just made. Promotion will be assured now - Ive heard he is like Joe Waters and Lew Chatterley rolled into one..."

He has done well, no doubt about it but lets not get carried away.Why berate people for their opinions at the time? Football is all about opinions and all of us are just guessing aren't we? I remember being less than enthused when Alan Buckley was first appointed and made up when Newell was appointed but at the time both opinions were perfectly valid. The other alternative is not to comment till each player/manager has had several seasons to make sure our opinion is right.
Posted by: the driver, April 28, 2015, 5:18pm; Reply: 8
I'm more than happy to step forward and say I still think he is excrement.

Laters.
It's my belief young sir what you know about football you could  write on the back of a stamp
Posted by: jonnyboy82, April 28, 2015, 5:35pm; Reply: 9
Maybe.

It's not complicated after all is it.
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 28, 2015, 5:41pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Maybe.

How many goals does LJL need to score in the play offs to reach 20 for the season ?  ;)
Posted by: ginnywings, April 28, 2015, 5:45pm; Reply: 11
Think it's telling that no attacking players featured. Says it all for me.
Posted by: cleethorpes_mariner, April 28, 2015, 5:58pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from ginnywings
Think it's telling that no attacking players featured. Says it all for me.

JL got two awards
Posted by: bobbyturtle, April 28, 2015, 11:27pm; Reply: 13
first season with us, young player of the year.
hope for more which ever league we are in. utm  :)
Posted by: ackomariner, April 29, 2015, 9:36am; Reply: 14

JL got two awards

For what.....most misses and most mins on the pitch  ;)
Posted by: Maringer, April 29, 2015, 11:03am; Reply: 15
Quoted from ackomariner

For what.....most misses and most mins on the pitch  ;)

Most goals? Or highest combined total of goals and assists?

In American terms he'd be our 'MVP'.  ;)

I tell you what, though, the figure on the OS that think he's only had 4 assists is a load of claptrap. Off the top of my head, I remember 2 in the Gateshead away game alone and a few at BP.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, April 29, 2015, 10:14pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Maybe.

Great comeback Johnnyboy made me chuckle  :) never a truer word said. But you are wrong about Clay as I was, in September. I really am hoping for an LJL hatrick tomorrow though
Posted by: ackomariner, April 29, 2015, 10:19pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Madeleymariner

Great comeback Johnnyboy made me chuckle  :) never a truer word said. But you are wrong about Clay as I was, in September. I really am hoping for an LJL hatrick tomorrow though

If he does he can shove a Lincolnshire one up my bottom too  :P
Posted by: MARINERSMAN22, April 30, 2015, 7:29am; Reply: 18
The few times I've seen clay he's seemed quite competent alongside Sisley...but his form could make anyone look great
Posted by: ackomariner, April 30, 2015, 9:35am; Reply: 19
Quoted from MARINERSMAN22
The few times I've seen clay he's seemed quite competent alongside Sisley...but his form could make anyone look great

Disley has been our best man in midfield AGAIN this season IMO
Print page generated: April 24, 2024, 7:39am