Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 27, 2015, 9:26pm
Doesn't seem that long ago when we were all heading down there for the last away game of the season when we both survived relegation to The Conference.
Posted by: Hagrid, April 27, 2015, 9:28pm; Reply: 1
Well done to them. All that has to be said
Posted by: BIGChris, April 27, 2015, 9:29pm; Reply: 2
Amazing what a Russian Billionaire owner can do!

I am delighted for them. They have such pace and movement coupled with patience. Sackful of goals too
Posted by: forza ivano, April 27, 2015, 9:30pm; Reply: 3
And we re still marooned with the likes of welling and altrincham.makes you want to weep. Oh well Bromley and maybe Basingstoke and fylde to look forward to next season. Whoopee feckin do
Posted by: nightrider, April 27, 2015, 9:30pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from BIGChris

They have such pace and movement coupled with patience. Sackful of goals too

Just like us then....

Posted by: HackneyHaddock, April 27, 2015, 9:33pm; Reply: 5
Good luck to them.
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 27, 2015, 9:33pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from BIGChris
Amazing what a Russian Billionaire owner can do!

I am delighted for them. They have such pace and movement coupled with patience. Sackful of goals too

To be fair to them though Chris, until they brought in Kenwyn Jones on megamoney they've not really had any "name" superstars in their team this season.
Posted by: 97 (Guest), April 27, 2015, 9:38pm; Reply: 7
Middlesbrough could still win 20-0...
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 27, 2015, 9:41pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from 97
Middlesbrough could still win 20-0...

Does make the decision of Middlesborough to send their keeper up in stoppage time at Fulham even more strange. If they'd have taken a point then they could still have gone up on the last day if they won and Bournemouth lost.
Posted by: Jaws, April 27, 2015, 9:52pm; Reply: 9
They got promoted from League 2 the same season we dropped out of it, what a contrast in fortunes  :o
Posted by: LH, April 27, 2015, 9:56pm; Reply: 10
"Goodness me there's a man without trousers"
Posted by: Codswede, April 27, 2015, 10:05pm; Reply: 11
And who was the young Bournemouth defender who headed behind for the corner that lead Burnett's golden goal.

Eddie Howe!
Posted by: buckstown, April 27, 2015, 10:11pm; Reply: 12
What a wonderful achievement.
Did they appoint Eddie Howe at the same time as we appointed Neil Woods?
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 27, 2015, 10:15pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from buckstown
What a wonderful achievement.
Did they appoint Eddie Howe at the same time as we appointed Neil Woods?

Eddie Howe appointed 19th Jan 2009
Neil Woods appointed  23rd Nov 2009 (caretaker 18th Oct 2009)

So it was the following season when we were relegated.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, April 27, 2015, 10:18pm; Reply: 14
Recovered from the brink of oblivion how our paths changed since Wembley 98
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 27, 2015, 10:20pm; Reply: 15
Final League 2 table 2008/09

[img]https://scontent-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/11178313_10206781840569536_371671762010600168_n.jpg?oh=1b70a4e9225878c9866f32cda80fd81f&oe=55CFE720[/img]
Posted by: promotion plaice, April 27, 2015, 10:29pm; Reply: 16
Bournemouths ground only holds about 12,000 so hows that going to work in the premiership. I thought you had to have a minimum capacity of 20,000 or something to be allowed in.
Posted by: buckstown, April 27, 2015, 10:29pm; Reply: 17
Wow, seven of that lot in the conference today.
Posted by: gary_elton, April 27, 2015, 10:31pm; Reply: 18
Well done Bournemouth.... strange how most of their fans just clapped to the chants and songs
instead of joining in with them tho.... maybe the song sheets were in Russian....  ;)
Posted by: Jaws, April 27, 2015, 10:32pm; Reply: 19
Someone said Bristol had more at the weekend than Bournemouth did tonight??!
Posted by: gary_elton, April 27, 2015, 10:34pm; Reply: 20
Off topic...just out of interest Les... how many did we take to Southport ?? missed the figure...
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 27, 2015, 10:38pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from promotion plaice
Bournemouths ground only holds about 12,000 so hows that going to work in the premiership. I thought you had to have a minimum capacity of 20,000 or something to be allowed in.

There is no minimum capacity for The Premier League as long as the ground meets safety regulations, Bournemouth do have plans in place though to increase capacity from 12000 to 18000.

I think Loftus Road is the current Premier League ground with the smallest capacity of just under 18500.
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 27, 2015, 10:39pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from gary_elton
Off topic...just out of interest Les... how many did we take to Southport ?? missed the figure...

Posted by: Teestogreen, April 27, 2015, 11:23pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Les Brechin
Final League 2 table 2008/09

[img]https://scontent-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/11178313_10206781840569536_371671762010600168_n.jpg?oh=1b70a4e9225878c9866f32cda80fd81f&oe=55CFE720[/img]

When you consider that Bournemouth and Rotherham had 17 points each removed in that table, you have to say that going in to administration paid dividends - (there must be some creditors somewhere that weren't best pleased).

Grimsby, meanwhile continued to try and pay its bills and take the drop, it seems.

Well done Bournemouth - (with a slightly hollow tone)

Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 27, 2015, 11:26pm; Reply: 24
Pleased for them.

Mind you, they've been rescued from the brink twice in the last 20 years. Once the year before we played them at Wembley and again in  2008.
Posted by: ginnywings, April 28, 2015, 8:26am; Reply: 25
Only 78 points needed for promotion from league two. Piece of p1ss when we get there.
Posted by: moosey_club, April 28, 2015, 8:47am; Reply: 26
Quoted from Teestogreen

When you consider that Bournemouth and Rotherham had 17 points each removed in that table, you have to say that going in to administration paid dividends - (there must be some creditors somewhere that weren't best pleased).

Grimsby, meanwhile continued to try and pay its bills and take the drop, it seems.

This....., bill dodging b@st@rds as far as i am concerned.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, April 28, 2015, 9:18am; Reply: 27
I saw a report that Bournemouth only spent an average Championship budget this season.  They had money in hand from selling players, including Danny Ings to Burnley. Fair play to them.

Howe must be some manager:  he develops Danny Ings, buys him when AT Burnley, getting the credit for signing a top young striker, then returms to Bournemouth, uses the new funding, gets them promoted, then Bourrnemouth in line for sell-on money when Burnley sell Ings.

One sunday paper this week did give good coverage to the Bounrmeough v Town game which kept them in the League.  We started their success.  
Posted by: DocTower, April 28, 2015, 10:10am; Reply: 28
Quoted from Teestogreen

Like you say , creditors ,, how many small companies went under due to them over spending , ? They will now receive 70 million plus for being in the premiership , will they repay  any of their debt ?   Hollow tone ?  
Posted by: Maringer, April 28, 2015, 10:18am; Reply: 29
What do they say, again? Football is all about momentum.

Bournemouth reacted incredibly well to a 17 point deduction and transfer embargo to earn their escape relegation and their momentum continued the next season and so on.

On the other hand, we managed to escape relegation being rubbish, but relying on huge points deductions to other clubs. Our downward momentum continued the following season (thanks to some appalling management) and we're only just about on an upward trajectory even now, years later.

I'm not envious of Bournemouth, just frustrated with our own failures since then.
Posted by: diehardmariner, April 28, 2015, 10:29am; Reply: 30
Matt Tubbs was rumoured to be on £13,000 a week having signed for Bournemouth in 2012 when they were in League One.

Don't get me wrong Howe has done a great job both with and without money, you also have to spend the money right.   But I do laugh at the idea of plucky little Bournemouth overachieving against the odds.  
Posted by: diehardmariner, April 28, 2015, 10:35am; Reply: 31
Quoted from Maringer
What do they say, again? Football is all about momentum.

Bournemouth reacted incredibly well to a 17 point deduction and transfer embargo to earn their escape relegation and their momentum continued the next season and so on.

On the other hand, we managed to escape relegation being rubbish, but relying on huge points deductions to other clubs. Our downward momentum continued the following season (thanks to some appalling management) and we're only just about on an upward trajectory even now, years later.

I'm not envious of Bournemouth, just frustrated with our own failures since then.

Even leaving that game at Bournemouth on the back of a 2-1 defeat I was very optimistic for the future.  During the summer we managed to secure three of the four loanees who played a massive role in our survival (the one we didn't keep in Hennessy we managed to get a former Irish international in his place), tied our prized asset and club captain down to a long-term contract, we looked decent in pre-season and season ticket sales were very good.

Fast forward to half-time of the opening day away at Cheltenham.  1-0 up and looking absolutely superb, there and then I thought we were going to walk the league.  The home side bring on 75-year-old Barry Hayles and we collapsed.

The rest is history.  
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 28, 2015, 10:45am; Reply: 32
Quoted from diehardmariner

Even leaving that game at Bournemouth on the back of a 2-1 defeat I was very optimistic for the future.  During the summer we managed to secure three of the four loanees who played a massive role in our survival (the one we didn't keep in Hennessy we managed to get a former Irish international in his place), tied our prized asset and club captain down to a long-term contract, we looked decent in pre-season and season ticket sales were very good.

Fast forward to half-time of the opening day away at Cheltenham.  1-0 up and looking absolutely superb, there and then I thought we were going to walk the league.  The home side bring on 75-year-old Barry Hayles and we collapsed.

The rest is history.  

Grrrrr, people like you really annoy me! Those who exaggerate just to make their point.

Hayles was only 72 at the time!
Posted by: arryarryarry, April 28, 2015, 10:55am; Reply: 33
Quoted from Teestogreen

Nothing to do with that, we are where we are because of crap decisions by the board and crap decisions by the manager(s)
Posted by: Maringer, April 28, 2015, 12:12pm; Reply: 34
Yeah, I remember being upbeat after that Cheltenham game, thinking we'd have a good season ahead of us. It took a few games before I realised it was going to be a struggle!
Posted by: biggles9999, April 28, 2015, 12:13pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
I saw a report that Bournemouth only spent an average Championship budget this season.  They had money in hand from selling players, including Danny Ings to Burnley. Fair play to them.

Howe must be some manager:  he develops Danny Ings, buys him when AT Burnley, getting the credit for signing a top young striker, then returms to Bournemouth, uses the new funding, gets them promoted, then Bourrnemouth in line for sell-on money when Burnley sell Ings.

One sunday paper this week did give good coverage to the Bounrmeough v Town game which kept them in the League.  We started their success.  

Ahh the old Football Manager trick, take over United sign a player for £20 million and off you go.  ;)
Posted by: RichMariner, April 28, 2015, 12:43pm; Reply: 36
I'm massively envious of Bournemouth and don't mind admitting it.

What Eddie Howe has achieved is incredible. Forget the billionaire Russian owner for a minute - purely from a coaching and managing perspective, he's done wonders with 'average' Championship players.

What I'm slightly confused about is their financial position...

The club lost £15.3m in the financial year ending July 2013 and in total, their net debt is just over £15.5m. They only just passed Financial Fair Play regulations earlier this season. Taken from [url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32315677[/url]

It seems to me like they've overspent massively for such a 'small' club, but compared to the spending in the rest of the Championship it's probably not that much. Is that right?
Posted by: Maringer, April 28, 2015, 12:59pm; Reply: 37
Their record signing is £3 million which is remarkable for a club of their size. That's like six Lee Ashcrofts!  :)
Posted by: pontoonlew, April 28, 2015, 2:42pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from diehardmariner
Matt Tubbs was rumoured to be on £13,000 a week having signed for Bournemouth in 2012 when they were in League One.

Don't get me wrong Howe has done a great job both with and without money, you also have to spend the money right.   But I do laugh at the idea of plucky little Bournemouth overachieving against the odds.  

Bournemouths spending pales into insignificance when you compare it to the majority of clubs who have previously got promoted from The Championship, it's an almighty achievement.
Posted by: psgmariner, April 28, 2015, 3:11pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from RichMariner
The club lost £15.3m in the financial year ending July 2013 and in total, their net debt is just over £15.5m. They only just passed Financial Fair Play regulations earlier this season. Taken from [url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32315677[/url]

It seems to me like they've overspent massively for such a 'small' club, but compared to the spending in the rest of the Championship it's probably not that much. Is that right?

"I vaguely remember the commentary 'It's Fletcher…Legend!' as he smashed home a loose ball in the box," recalls BBC Radio Solent commentator Laurence Herdman.

"The big man ripped off his shirt during the goal celebration in front of the main stand revealing a muscular physique and rippling bodybuilder biceps.

Bit gay.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, April 28, 2015, 5:26pm; Reply: 40
One national paper today reported that Bournemouth's budget this season was at the lower end of all Championship clubs.   If trrue, this makes their success, style and goals all the more remarkable.

If they can do this from the bottom of the old Division 4, there must be hope and a 1% chance that we could do the same? (Assuming that we get out of NL).  ;)
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, April 28, 2015, 7:44pm; Reply: 41
The crunch starts now. The manager will know his squad is neither big enough nor strong enough for the Prem. The £130m they get will not buy superstars. I hope they don't go down the road of trusting agents who will land them with semi-skilled foreign imports on massive wages. They need the sort of contracts that Hull have used with automatic reductions in wages if the club is relegated.

The best Bournemouth can hope for is survival. On the plus side Watford are going up too and are going to struggle just as much.

Still, we can't begrudge them their fairy tale and their day in the sun. I hope their 10k or so season ticket holders enjoy every minute of it.
Posted by: MrsMariner, April 28, 2015, 10:13pm; Reply: 42
And a former Town loanee in their ranks heading to the premier league albeit only 5 games for us, Simon Francis on loan from Sheff Utd
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 10:16am