Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Kymariner12, April 27, 2015, 5:23am
Reading some of the forums on the playoff rivals and Eastliegh fans are in agreement that this has been a fantastic achievement and so proud. That's what $$$ gets you, it's not through operating within your means, you're just another Crawley/Fleetwood and belong in the conference or eve further down. I hope we beat them and put an end to the rising trend of glorified tin pot clubs.
Posted by: psgmariner, April 27, 2015, 6:00am; Reply: 1
Have you read our accounts for the last few years? We don't operate anywhere near our means!
Posted by: pizzzza, April 27, 2015, 7:21am; Reply: 2
Quoted from Kymariner12
Reading some of the forums on the playoff rivals and Eastliegh fans are in agreement that this has been a fantastic achievement and so proud. That's what $$$ gets you, it's not through operating within your means, you're just another Crawley/Fleetwood and belong in the conference or eve further down. I hope we beat them and put an end to the rising trend of glorified tin pot clubs.

Local businessman pumps some money in, fans enjoying the good times. Not exactly Chelsea are they?

Plenty of worse things happening in the world.
Posted by: arryarryarry, April 27, 2015, 9:17am; Reply: 3
Quoted from Kymariner12

FFS give over, posts like this will probably wind their fans up and they will really take the p!ss if they beat us.

I suggest you take your head out of your parochial @rse and have a look at other clubs forums when they comment on about the money that has been ploughed into GTFC.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, April 27, 2015, 10:00am; Reply: 4
The net worth of Eastleigh FC is -234,000, the net worth of GTFC is -1,017,000. Don't think we've got any moral high ground here.
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 27, 2015, 10:03am; Reply: 5
It would only make me sick,

If they knock us out the play offs.
Posted by: Abdul19, April 27, 2015, 1:29pm; Reply: 6
Just the sight of Deon Burton made me smash my laptop - and I'll be sending James Constable the bill.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, April 27, 2015, 1:54pm; Reply: 7
Been thinking over the weekend about clubs coming up from nowhere so to speak

Maybe because of the Ferriby gravy train being de-railed etc and then us getting to face one of the new kids on the block

I've got mixed feelings about it really...can I take exception to someone bankrolling a team to success? Maybe morally it's not quite there but if it's all above board and legal then what's to say. If I was a multi-millionaire I'd want to help Town out in any and every way possible

The flip side is when the money stops? I used to live close to where Rushden & Diamonds came about - Max Griggs and his DM empire basically got them to where they were but as soon as his influence was withdrawn they weren't sustainable any longer. Some of the teams that have made the league of late might have the same fate waiting for them in years to come - who knows? At least it's been achieved on the field over several years of "investment"

My own disdain is for the cuckoos in MK who look seriously like they are going to move up a level....some people might want to let it go that they got in the league on the back of the old Wimbledon and time to forget etc.

I would dispute this totally...they have a place in the pyramid that they shouldn't have and a.n.other team should have been given the opportunity to have taken a promotion at the expense of Wimbledon who should have had happen to them what happened to Darlington, Stockport etc.

Milton Keynes had several local clubs that were more or less killed off with the Franchise relocating there to take a place in the football league. Just because time has moved on it was wrong then and is still wrong now
Posted by: horsforthmariner, April 27, 2015, 2:00pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from FishOutOfWater
Been thinking over the weekend about clubs coming up from nowhere so to speak

Maybe because of the Ferriby gravy train being de-railed etc and then us getting to face one of the new kids on the block

I've got mixed feelings about it really...can I take exception to someone bankrolling a team to success? Maybe morally it's not quite there but if it's all above board and legal then what's to say. If I was a multi-millionaire I'd want to help Town out in any and every way possible

The flip side is when the money stops? I used to live close to where Rushden & Diamonds came about - Max Griggs and his DM empire basically got them to where they were but as soon as his influence was withdrawn they weren't sustainable any longer. Some of the teams that have made the league of late might have the same fate waiting for them in years to come - who knows? At least it's been achieved on the field over several years of "investment"

My own disdain is for the cuckoos in MK who look seriously like they are going to move up a level....some people might want to let it go that they got in the league on the back of the old Wimbledon and time to forget etc.

I would dispute this totally...they have a place in the pyramid that they shouldn't have and a.n.other team should have been given the opportunity to have taken a promotion at the expense of Wimbledon who should have had happen to them what happened to Darlington, Stockport etc.

Milton Keynes had several local clubs that were more or less killed off with the Franchise reloating there to take a place in the football league. Just because time has moved on it was wrong then and is still wrong now

MK DONS are a team I look out for every week in the hope they've lost and if they're are on telly I support the team they are playing.
Posted by: GrimRob, April 27, 2015, 2:50pm; Reply: 9
In 1851 Grimsby had a population of 8,860. The railways resulted in a huge population growth and GTFC was founded in 1878. Other towns and teams are just in a different place on the economic/growth cycle.
Posted by: Marinerz93, April 27, 2015, 3:53pm; Reply: 10
I was going to add quite a bit to this debate until MK Dons rose it's heinous head.

MK Dons stole the soul of a league club for it's status and in my eyes doesn't deserve to be considered a real club.
Posted by: moosey_club, April 27, 2015, 4:20pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Marinerz93
I was going to add quite a bit to this debate until MK Dons rose it's heinous head.

MK Dons stole the soul of a league club for it's status and in my eyes doesn't deserve to be considered a real club.

My own perception of MK has changed slightly, while not liking them or wishing them any success....lets face it all they did was apply...it was the League who sanctioned it and allowed it to happen. I have more disdain for the League for that reason.
Posted by: Marinerz93, April 27, 2015, 7:29pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from moosey_club

My own perception of MK has changed slightly, while not liking them or wishing them any success....lets face it all they did was apply...it was the League who sanctioned it and allowed it to happen. I have more disdain for the League for that reason.

The league has form for making decisions that aren't right, this however is all together wrong on a different level.  MK Mongs have skinned Wimbledon and the FA have said, nice vest.

[youtube]ln2930rBisg[/youtube]
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 27, 2015, 8:41pm; Reply: 13
If they are saying it's "a fantastic achievement and the should be proud" maybe they are just "happy to be there"! If a team thinks it's over achieved it becomes vulnerable .

Come on town!!!!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 27, 2015, 11:50pm; Reply: 14
Can't see any difference in principe between our financial arrangements and Eastleigh's.
Posted by: Brisbane Mariner, April 28, 2015, 3:55am; Reply: 15
Why worry about summat we cant change - let's just focus on GTFC and what we want. We are not curing cancer - just playing football!
Print page generated: April 24, 2024, 8:30am