Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: moosey_club, April 25, 2015, 9:08pm
as there isnt one..

Good points -
comfortable victory
improved points, wins and position over last season
Hannah put in a good performance, frozen out most of the season and took two goals very well and generally linked well. Also a nice gesture when Sunter came on for his debut Hannah went across to welcome him onto the pitch and shook his hand.
Chappel after a shakey start settled in and looked lively second half, particularly when he seemed to be playing more centrally/free role.

Bad Points
Crowd - 3200 home support, a little disappointing i thought
Parslow, looks weak, slow, indecisive and timid.
Another goal from distance, nice strike but waiting for the replay as i am not sure why Mckeown didnt have it covered, i have a feeling he was anticipating a ball into the box and may have moved prior.

The manager and board's first ambition for the season has been reached, two massive games ahead now to qualify  for the final...cmon Town, lets not collectively fck it up this time.   UTM
Posted by: jimgtfc, April 25, 2015, 9:13pm; Reply: 1
Agree with most of that. Ross Hannah hasn't been "frozen out" at all though, he's had plenty of chances throughout the season and not performed.

Credit to him today though, took his goals well and looked like the old ross. Given PH something to consider that's for sure.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, April 25, 2015, 9:14pm; Reply: 2
Did the likes of Hannah do enough to challenge for a starting place on Thursday?

In commentary JT and Buckley said McKeown had no chance with their goal. Will be interested to see it.
Posted by: chaos33, April 25, 2015, 9:15pm; Reply: 3
Those Parslow comments worry me.

Did Hannah cup his ear to the Town fans after one of his goals?
Posted by: Hagrid, April 25, 2015, 9:15pm; Reply: 4
Thought parslow was fine? Its not as though aldershot threatened as all so not quite sure why you've singled him out for uneccessary critiscm
Posted by: chaos33, April 25, 2015, 9:17pm; Reply: 5
If they didn't threaten and MC assessed him like that, what are we to expect when we play the play off games?
Posted by: BIGChris, April 25, 2015, 9:25pm; Reply: 6
I think the decision to move Toto to right back for a spell may be significant in Hursts thinking.

Overall a very comfortable end of season victory. We played at a much quicker tempo compared to last week at Southport.

Pittman looked like his old self and I guess may have played himself into a starting place on Thursday?

I think Hurst has 2 decisions for play offs;

Who partners Dizza in centre mid and who plays in the back four alongside Pearson, Toto and Magnay.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, April 25, 2015, 9:29pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from BIGChris
I think the decision to move Toto to right back for a spell may be significant in Hursts thinking.

Overall a very comfortable end of season victory. We played at a much quicker tempo compared to last week at Southport.

Pittman looked like his old self and I guess may have played himself into a starting place on Thursday?

I think Hurst has 2 decisions for play offs;

Who partners Dizza in centre mid and who plays in the back four alongside Pearson, Toto and Magnay.

Totally agree with that and the answers to those questions would be Clay and Gowling for me.
Posted by: Maringer, April 25, 2015, 9:55pm; Reply: 8
I thought it was quite an entertaining game. The result wasn't really that important for either side so it was quite open and less cagey than the usual fare. Not a huge amount of quality on display at times, but not too bad.

I'm surprised that moosey picked out Parslow for criticism as I thought he had probably his most solid game at full-back for us! Barely put a foot wrong there. Hannah took his goals well (and beat the offside trap twice!!!), but I do wonder if he would fare as well against a better defence as the Aldershot backline was porous, to say the least. Already on the beach, as the saying goes.

Another excellent strike for their goal but another long-range effort flies in. Are we just unlucky that teams put some fantastic shots against us or is it a case that McKeown is a bit slow to get his feet moving? I generally don't think McKeown has had much chance with most of the long-range goals against us this season, but there does seem to be a bit of a pattern emerging.
Posted by: barralad, April 25, 2015, 10:44pm; Reply: 9
Quite an enjoyable game. Hannah took his goals very well as did Pittman his. Have officially lost count now of the number of teams that score "a worldy" goal against us. I was a long way away from it but I'd agree that Macca had no chance.
I too don't really get the criticism of Parslow. Thought he was steady all game without being outstanding. That said no-one had a bad game.
One thing that struck me was that without a recognised target man in the first half the ball travelled along the ground with much more effect than previously.-more food for thought for Hurst?
Posted by: moosey_club, April 25, 2015, 10:49pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Hagrid
Thought parslow was fine? Its not as though aldershot threatened as all so not quite sure why you've singled him out for uneccessary critiscm

They didnt threaten but yet he still managed to look ill at ease and every time the play went near him i broke out in a cold sweat.

His attempted sliding tackle in the first half in front of the Findus where he didnt take either the ball or the man has to be one of most poorly executed "tackles" i have ever seen.

Posted by: barralad, April 25, 2015, 11:00pm; Reply: 11
JPP deserves great credit for the acrobatic assist for Hannah's second!! The finish was even better than it looked live...
Posted by: LH, April 25, 2015, 11:08pm; Reply: 12
Exhibition stuff at times today. I lost count at 10 back heels in the game. Assist of the decade from JPP who also took a brilliant touch in the build up to his goal.

I said to BIGChris and Les on the way back from Southport that I wouldn't object to RH starting and he really gave PH something to think about for Thursday. I've been critical of him the last two seasons but he really took that chance today.

Their goal was a good one too although it's another one of those distance ones at home!

Negatively speaking Gowling was involved in a few communication mistakes again and Parslow played like Parslow.

They were rough and cynical but hopefully we'll be big timing it in league two next season.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 25, 2015, 11:08pm; Reply: 13
Enjoyed it to be fair and was surprised that it was a decent game and worth the 6 hour round trip. We are a decent side when we keep the ball down!

Thought Hannah was excellent and on his first goal remained calm and took the 2nd with real skill, amazing seeing as he has been basically a bit part [layer this term he also appeared to click a bit with Chappell and JP. Similar thought to barralad maybe the target man is not the way forward

TBH I reckon Parslow had a good game he is not an attacking wing back but just a functional defender. Re there goal? Macca was asleep and stood behind the wall leaving a massive gap to his left.  

I would like to see............ Macca, Parslow, Toto, Shaun, Mag, Jack, Dis, Brownie (just) Chappell JP and Hannah at some point on Thursday. Love Lenny and Ollie is a decent player but we just looked a lot more fluid today and the strikers did not receive every ball with thoer back to the goal............. UTM!!    
Posted by: mariner2000, April 25, 2015, 11:44pm; Reply: 14
Hannah's one and only performance this year, funny hoe it happens to be before the playoffs and the end of his contract!!!!  

Unlikely to get a second one out of him!
Posted by: Tinymariner, April 25, 2015, 11:46pm; Reply: 15
What was the logo on the shirt today in place of Youngs?

Never mind, just seen the other thread!
Posted by: Maringer, April 26, 2015, 12:18am; Reply: 16
We certainly didn't seem to play it long as often as usual today, without a 'target man' up there (though Pittman is decent in the air in the right situation). I do wonder how much this was down to the lack of a big bloke up front and how much was down to the fact that it was pretty much a meaningless game? As the bloke next to me mentioned, the atmosphere was almost like a pre-season game.

Pittman's "assist" for Hannah's second was a flashy overhead-kick clearance. Not sure he deserves too much kudos for helping to create a goal from that!
Posted by: itsnotcoditshaddock, April 26, 2015, 12:21am; Reply: 17
Any criticism of Parslow today is totally unfair. He had a solid game. He's a good enough defender and will not let us down.
Posted by: lobsterpot, April 26, 2015, 7:12am; Reply: 18
I too thought Parslow did what he is paid to do and was fine. Chappell brightened up and reminded me of the runs that Rodders made for us weaving in and back out again. There certainly was less of the long ball stuff and in my opinion that was down to Pearson's omission as he is usually at the centre of pinging it aimlessly from the back. Cant help but think even if Hannah had scored 10 today he still wouldnt replace Lennie for Thursday. I'm usually fine with whatever starting 11 is put infront of me but some of LJL's touches and shots today were pathetic and that lad is gonna cost us over the next couple of games if we are not careful. Please prove me wrong Mr Shop! PS JPP's goal celebration today was the best ever! The bloke with the chips face was priceless 8)
Posted by: Garth, April 26, 2015, 9:14am; Reply: 19
Yesterday's team will bear no relevance to Thursday's team that will be set up to defend, PH will never go gung o
Posted by: chaos33, April 26, 2015, 9:25am; Reply: 20
In all fairness though, and I have been a critic of defensive set ups in the past - would you go 'gung ho' in the away leg of a play off semi??
Probably not, and neither should Hurst. If he organised the team to be defensively solid as a primary concern on Thursday that would surely make sense.

Besides,the results prove that Hurst gets it right away from home almost every game.
Posted by: rancido, April 26, 2015, 12:01pm; Reply: 21
I too don't get this criticism of Parslow. He had a steady game , no frills and basically did what he had to. The player who did make me nervous was Bignot ! He never looked comfortable , his positioning was questionable at times and he got in the centre-backs way a few times. Interesting change of positions during the game between Toto and Parslow. Maybe Hurst was thinking about possible combinations IF we have to go 3 across the back ?  Whatever his reasons these things have to be at least looked at in real game situations as opposed to the training ground.
Posted by: highcliff mariner, April 26, 2015, 12:53pm; Reply: 22
Agree with above , parslow? Was ok . Bignob on the other hand was scarey.
Posted by: Abdul19, April 26, 2015, 1:57pm; Reply: 23
If only all home games against crap opposition were as easy as that!
Posted by: Garth, April 26, 2015, 6:38pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from highcliff mariner
Agree with above , parslow? Was ok . Bignob on the other hand was scarey.

Parslow had a decent enough game and won some important headers, we did miss Pearson in defence though, Gowling is not as dominant IMO

Posted by: arryarryarry, April 26, 2015, 11:25pm; Reply: 25
I didn't think Parslow did that bad, I think one of his failings is when he gets too far forward he doesn't have the pace to get back.

Still prefer him to Bignot though who looked a bit dodgy at times yesterday especially that challenge in the first half in front of the Pontoon when he took an almighty swipe and missed both the ball and their forward.

Hannah had one of his best games for a while, and Chappell looked good at times certainly better than Mackreth who looked very poor.  
Print page generated: April 24, 2024, 4:28pm