Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: fleabag1970, April 24, 2015, 8:26am
What wit the Play offs and all that its time I stopped Dicking about and got behind the boys !!!  So I thought I'd think of everything positive over the last 35 years of supporting Town..Feel Free to join in if you like

Trever Whymark
Joe Waters
Kevin Moore
Beating Sheff Weds and Trever Whymark scoring a Worldy
Alan Buckley
Clive Mendonca
Paul Futcher
Season 1998
Ivano
Kevin Donavan
George Kerr
Mark Lever
John McDermott

Menno Willems.................................Just making sure you were paying attention

Posted by: tintowner, April 24, 2015, 8:33am; Reply: 1
Destroying Sheffield United 4-0 to win the 3rd Division title in 1980.................an atmosphere I can still taste today!
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 24, 2015, 10:34am; Reply: 2
Watching Town stuff Wolves 5-1,

Then watching it again and again on the telly.
Posted by: diehardmariner, April 24, 2015, 11:22am; Reply: 3
Stuffing West Brom 5-1 at home Bank Holiday Monday August 1998.
Posted by: moosey_club, April 24, 2015, 11:31am; Reply: 4
As none of the above play for us now and any good memories of "success" are well in the past then why bring them up, just serves to depress me more with our whole current situation.

The fact Garry Birtles played for us 25yrs or so ago has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on our next three matches. Its the current squad and the current manager that we need to focus on.

This league campaign (so far)  compared to last we have.....won a couple of more games.....lost a couple less....and drawn 1 less.........so we have showed an overall slight improvement there.....that slight improvement is maybe all we need to see us through.

Posted by: GYinScuntland, April 24, 2015, 11:32am; Reply: 5
Promotion seasons.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, April 24, 2015, 12:36pm; Reply: 6
My top three moments of more recent years

Andy Cook's goal that put is in the lead at Wembley (but we failed to hold on)
Dizza's goal that put us ahead against Huddersfield (but we failed to hold on)
Dizza's goal that put us level at Gateshead in last year's p/off (and again we failed to hold on)

A bit of a theme going on there but those goals for me were what epitomised my love for Town and the raw, nerve-tingling emotions that poured out as each one hit the back of the net. Scoregasms I think you'd call them ;)

I'm just hoping that come Sunday 17th May there will be one more such breath-taking magic moment and this time it will be underlined by the final whistle declaring we have won the p/off final

You gotta dream every now and again eh?  :)
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 24, 2015, 8:17pm; Reply: 7
In no particular order.

Wilko at Everton
Dobbin at Newcastle
Jevons at Liverpool
Burnett at Wembley
Harry Haddocks at Wimbledon
Marc North at Middlesboro
Top of level 2 the day England won 5-1 in Munich
Kevin Jobling at Reading
6-1 at Millwall having been 1-0 down at half-time
Cockers twice against Exeter
Donovan at Wembley
JPKK at home to Spurs
4-0 home to Sheff United
Drinks scoring Towns 4th and his 100th goal and revealing a t-shirt as the hoards of top-of-the-table Man City fans sang "What the intercourse is going on"

That's just off the top of my head, there's loads more too.
Posted by: fleabag1970, April 24, 2015, 10:12pm; Reply: 8

Drinks scoring Towns 4th and his 100th goal and revealing a t-shirt as the hoards of top-of-the-table Man City fans sang "What the intercourse is going on"

That's just off the top of my head, there's loads more too.[/quote]

I was at that Man city game too ................ Amazing Game .
Posted by: ska face, April 24, 2015, 11:29pm; Reply: 9
Graham Rodger last minute winner V palace
Jarman header to put us 1 up away at Bournemouth
Disley at Gateshead
Last 5 minutes at Barnet
Brad Wood pen for Alfreton v Barnet
Jevoooooooonns!
Gally missing that last minute pen
That goal by Coldicott to draw us level with Lincoln
Ben Futcher V Lincoln
The Trust
Burnett at Wembley
Posted by: Tinymariner, April 24, 2015, 11:58pm; Reply: 10
I'm staying recent and relevant. The atmosphere and great win at Barnet this season, felt proud to be a Mariner and I haven't felt like that for years. UTM
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 25, 2015, 9:09am; Reply: 11
Quoted from tintowner
Destroying Sheffield United 4-0 to win the 3rd Division title in 1980.................an atmosphere I can still taste today!

It's that one for me................ and in the same year beating Everton at home standing in a packed Harrington St open corner.

Versus Barnsley Norman (bites you legs) Hunter getting sent off after a coming together with one Bobby Cummings and having to walk off in front of the Ponny. He was meant to be a football hard man but there was only one winner that day and it was not that Yorkshire tosser.

George Kerr shouting to Dean Crombie "Crombie you would have got to that ball if you wasn't such a fat b&%$£%d". Don't recall Deano was fat but it was funny.

Promotions under Buckley and The first Wembley and possibly the flukiest Golden Goal.............

Time in the 2nd Division/Championship beating the likes of  Wolves, WBA, QPR, Chelsea etc.......... Cup wins Everton, Villa, West Ham, Spurs, Liverpool amongst others.

The amazing away support even after too many years in this league .........  Do all away teams give keepers a hard time like we do?

Honestly despite our so called decline since my first game a dull 0 - 0 versus Watford at home in 1978 there has been more highs than lows, just!        
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 25, 2015, 10:22am; Reply: 12
Quoted from Tinymariner
I'm staying recent and relevant. The atmosphere and great win at Barnet this season, felt proud to be a Mariner and I haven't felt like that for years. UTM

I must agree , that must have been one of the best away days ever.
Posted by: Meza, April 25, 2015, 10:48am; Reply: 13
Wembley 98
High scoring games vs Burnley, Watford and WBA and many others
Fulham game vs Keegans money bags
Tottenham win
Liverpool win and Jevons goal
Haddocks at Wimbledon
Hammering Gateshead this season
Barnet wins
Fans day especially inflatables at Barnet
Dobbins long ranger vs Newcastle
Signings of Futcher, Birtles, Mendonca
Posted by: moss_side_mariner, April 25, 2015, 11:04am; Reply: 14
The whole of BP singing there's only one Paul Gascoigne, as well as all the memorable cup wins against teams we were given no chance of beating.
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 12:17pm