Print Topic - Archive

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: MARINERSMAN22, April 20, 2015, 8:15pm
When I was looking at who would be coming down, I looked through their squads and found some gems Hurst could try and pursuade to join s regardless of league next season....

Tranmere are coming down - they were (well I thought so anyway) a decent league side, but they have slipped down and are now into the dreaded Conference.

But looking through some of their players, maybe some good signings there?

Everyone has said how we need a decent CM to work with the on-form Disley - well why not Tranmere's Max Power (IK what a name) - he has scored a decent 9 goals this season - not bad for a CM, plus he is their top scorer (which isn't that impressive ;) )

Cheltenham are likely to come down as well. There main man this season has been Matt Taylor - CB - he was signed last year, and I know he is their captain but he seems to have been a bit of a nomad in his career, so maybe the temptation of Grimsby might pull him away, however he may be a decent CB but we have had a decent back 2 in Pearson and Nsiala, and now Gowling so I don't know...but he has been known to fill in at LB occasionally this season...
Posted by: Hagrid, April 20, 2015, 8:20pm; Reply: 1
Dont see why we'd want to sign excrement players from a team just relegated to the conference when we are going into league 2!
Posted by: MARINERSMAN22, April 20, 2015, 8:24pm; Reply: 2
They aren't bad players though, it's not necessarily right to judge a player's performance based on their team's. It's like saying because we are 3rd ALL our players are decent. These players stand out, and if there's a CM that has scored 9 goals for a dreadful team, it makes his achievements even more recognizable.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, April 20, 2015, 8:28pm; Reply: 3
Never forget the jibes when we were relegated at Tranmere
Posted by: Peeler_Crab, April 20, 2015, 8:40pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

Every dog has its day.. Hopefully we can swap places with them..
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, April 20, 2015, 8:58pm; Reply: 5
I would definitely sign Max Power. There's the right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, April 20, 2015, 8:58pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Peeler_Crab

Every dog has its day.. Hopefully we can swap places with them..

Too right mate!
Posted by: MARINERSMAN22, April 20, 2015, 9:06pm; Reply: 7
Plus on a side note, think of the shirt sales for a player called 'Max Power'......;)
Posted by: chaos33, April 20, 2015, 9:25pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

Which is why I will laugh when they are relegated, just like they did at us. Karma is sweet.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, April 20, 2015, 10:04pm; Reply: 9
Max Power song

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GvVbIhKh-M[/url]
Posted by: ska face, April 20, 2015, 10:19pm; Reply: 10
So here we are, still with league games to play, still no idea who we'll have in the playoffs, still no idea who's coming down, still no idea what league we'll be in next year, still no idea who will be offered a contract but we're already carving up squads from the division above.

Ace.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, April 20, 2015, 11:25pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Hagrid
Dont see why we'd want to sign excrement players from a team just relegated to the conference when we are going into league 2!

When I was watching the FL show on Saturday night it got me thinking about how things can turn around within a few seasons

Damien McCrory got promotion with Burton and Jean Louis Akpa Akpro is about to follow suit with Shrewsbury

Bet no-one would have had them down as players who would be in promotion winning sides from League 2 when they were heading in just the opposite direction with us

Funny old game eh?

Posted by: RoboCod, April 21, 2015, 8:08am; Reply: 12
Wasn't it only a couple of seasons or so ago that Cheltenham were flying high? Looked on for promotion at the time, wonder what happened to burst their bubble.
Posted by: BIGChris, April 21, 2015, 8:15am; Reply: 13
Quoted from RoboCod
Wasn't it only a couple of seasons or so ago that Cheltenham were flying high? Looked on for promotion at the time, wonder what happened to burst their bubble.

Evidently they were punching well above their weight on a low budget at that time. Mark Yates was clearly doing a great job.

They found it hard to sustain, sacked Yates (who i think will be back in a job very soon) & continued to plummet,
Posted by: RoboCod, April 21, 2015, 8:25am; Reply: 14
Quoted from BIGChris

Evidently they were punching well above their weight on a low budget at that time. Mark Yates was clearly doing a great job.

They found it hard to sustain, sacked Yates (who i think will be back in a job very soon) & continued to plummet,

Ah yes, Tates was doing the business, seem to remember them being pipped by Rotherham for auto promotion right at the end. Another extraordinary sacking.
Posted by: horsforthmariner, April 21, 2015, 11:04am; Reply: 15
There is a bit of a nightmare scenario if we don't go up. Say Macc sneak back into the play offs and get promoted (alongside Barnet)  and then Hartlepool and Tranmere go down it would be a really tough league next season. With historically big clubs Bristol Rovers, Wrexham, Tranmere, Hartlepool and ourselves. alongside big budget Forest Green and Eastleigh and fairly well supported sides like Chester, Lincoln, Aldershot and Halifax. With Gateshead and Kiddy as well it could be really really tough.

Lets hope were playing scunny in league 2.
Posted by: LH, April 21, 2015, 11:21am; Reply: 16
How historic are we talking if we're classing Hartlepool as a big club?
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 21, 2015, 6:47pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from horsforthmariner
There is a bit of a nightmare scenario if we don't go up. Say Macc sneak back into the play offs and get promoted (alongside Barnet)  and then Hartlepool and Tranmere go down it would be a really tough league next season. With historically big clubs Bristol Rovers, Wrexham, Tranmere, Hartlepool and ourselves. alongside big budget Forest Green and Eastleigh and fairly well supported sides like Chester, Lincoln, Aldershot and Halifax. With Gateshead and Kiddy as well it could be really really tough.

I don't think Scunny will be coming down, they are just about safe now on 52pts
Posted by: Garth, April 21, 2015, 7:07pm; Reply: 18
Its going to change soon regarding one up automatically from the conference, it will no doubt change after we have been promoted the hard way
Posted by: Abdul19, April 21, 2015, 7:16pm; Reply: 19
The same way we got relegated, yes.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, April 21, 2015, 7:23pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from LH
How historic are we talking if we're classing Hartlepool as a big club?

They were historic to us, Newell was their manager!

Posted by: GYinScuntland, April 22, 2015, 5:42pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from horsforthmariner

Hmm... not exactly been a walk in the park up to now though.
:o
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 1:29pm