Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: excusebeef, April 20, 2015, 3:29pm
I for one hate when opposition score against us, but was talking with the chaps from work about goals they've applauded against their respective teams. Mine was Muzzy Izzets wonder overhead kick. Incredible really. Better than Rooney's! And to beat the divisions best keeper was class
Posted by: moosey_club, April 20, 2015, 3:34pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from excusebeef
I for one hate when opposition score against us, but was talking with the chaps from work about goals they've applauded against their respective teams. Mine was Muzzy Izzets wonder overhead kick. Incredible really. Better than Rooney's! And to beat the divisions best keeper was class

End of conversation really from a GTFC perspective.
Posted by: friskneymariner, April 20, 2015, 3:40pm; Reply: 2
Always thought that was the best goal against us, it is on you tube perhaps those cleverer enough can provide a link.
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 20, 2015, 3:49pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from friskneymariner
Always thought that was the best goal against us, it is on you tube perhaps those cleverer enough can provide a link.

[YOUTUBE]a6OHXjh2CLk[/YOUTUBE]
Posted by: cmackenzie4, April 20, 2015, 3:53pm; Reply: 4
That's one of the best goals you will ever see anywhere, I was at the game and lots of Town fans were even clapping.
Posted by: Abdul19, April 20, 2015, 4:08pm; Reply: 5
Trademark shite defending by Darren Barnard though ;)
Posted by: Maringer, April 20, 2015, 4:35pm; Reply: 6
It was a ridiculously good goal. Certainly the best I've seen at BP, narrowly beating Pouton's O.G. from inside the centre circle!  ??)
Posted by: gtfc98, April 20, 2015, 5:09pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from cmackenzie4
That's one of the best goals you will ever see anywhere, I was at the game and lots of Town fans were even clapping.

We seem to clap goals by the opposition at any given opportunity these days.
Posted by: mariner91, April 20, 2015, 5:28pm; Reply: 8
Yeah Izzet's goal was truly wonderful, you will struggle to see a better executed volley anywhere in the world. Had that been in the PL it would still be played all the time. The Lincoln equaliser this season wasn't bad.
Posted by: pontoonlew, April 20, 2015, 5:36pm; Reply: 9
Izzets is hands down the best goal i've ever seen anywhere. Never seen anything like it.

Speaking of things I've never seen anything like, check out Poutons beauty at 2:40 here.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N-E-NHzSXE[/url]
Posted by: mariner91, April 20, 2015, 5:47pm; Reply: 10
I remember that goal, by far the best own goal I've seen in a professional goal. Although not the best own goal, I've seen, once had a team mate diving header into the top corner of our goal from 30 yards. Couldn't have done it again if he'd tried.
Posted by: immariner, April 20, 2015, 6:04pm; Reply: 11
It was a wonderful own goal but how was it not a free kick for Town? Terrible refereeing.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, April 20, 2015, 6:14pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from immariner
It was a wonderful own goal but how was it not a free kick for Town? Terrible refereeing.

Terrible refereeing?

Surely that's what we've come to expect at our level....oh hang on  ;)
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 20, 2015, 6:23pm; Reply: 13
Arthur Rowley who scored over 400 goals was manager of Shrewsbury when they played at the park,

He was about 40 at the time the same as his waist measurement,

BUT

He cracked one in from about 35 yards,

I stood behind our keeper in the Ponny,

And even I ducked as it hit the back of the net,

Our keeper did not see it. ( sorry can not remember who was in goal that day )

I will never forget that shot though.
Posted by: Peeler_Crab, April 20, 2015, 6:31pm; Reply: 14
Shinned it 😉
Posted by: StiggsGTFC, April 20, 2015, 7:15pm; Reply: 15
Any Ron cockerilll goal
Posted by: Meza, April 20, 2015, 7:32pm; Reply: 16
My dad said Ron Cockerill can hit em...he had a shot from the half way line and the ball travelled fast and low then gradually gained height as it just cleared the bar and hit the back of the pontoon cladding.  Brilliant effort for a defender.  
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 20, 2015, 7:41pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Meza
My dad said Ron Cockerill can hit em...he had a shot from the half way line and the ball travelled fast and low then gradually gained height as it just cleared the bar and hit the back of the pontoon cladding.  Brilliant effort for a defender.  

Cannonball Cockerill must have had a dozen contenders for greatest goal for the Town,

One of my favourites was the one he scored against Leeds,

He was 30yards out and against a strong wind,

Leeds keeper did not move until it hit the back of the net. 8)
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, April 20, 2015, 8:23pm; Reply: 18
Muzzy's goal was the best I've seen in fifty plus years of being at BP.  The Leicester fans also regard that as one of the best goals ever for them. Sometimes you just have to acknowledge tremendous skill I stood applauding like many on that night.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, April 20, 2015, 8:24pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from grimsby pete

Cannonball Cockerill must have had a dozen contenders for greatest goal for the Town,

One of my favourites was the one he scored against Leeds,

He was 30yards out and against a strong wind,

Leeds keeper did not move until it hit the back of the net. 8)

We've had these before and I seem to remember nominating a Ron Rafferty goal I saw as a lad, against Coventry I think on a Good Friday. Ron Cockerill hit a screamer from 30 yards at the Osmond end that hit the bar and rebounded to the edge of the area where Rafferty hit it on the volley straight back into the top of the net. The ball must have travelled about 60 yards without touching the floor.

Another one from those days I remember was a penalty by Johnny Scott at the Osmond end when he hit the ball with the outside of his right foot towards the left post and as the keeper dived the ball swerved back the other way towards the opposite corner.
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 10:22am