Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: SamTheMariner, April 16, 2015, 10:14pm
Of getting promoted, I'm more confident than the two previous seasons and we'd have gone to Wembley last year if it weren't for Macca and Hatton and that idiotic referee!
Posted by: Hagrid, April 16, 2015, 10:21pm; Reply: 1
Yep! If we arent confident then we are doomed. We have to believe
Posted by: codcheeky, April 16, 2015, 10:25pm; Reply: 2
yes, a couple of games without pressure to play open football and enjoyment for the fans
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 16, 2015, 11:14pm; Reply: 3
More confident than last two times.
Posted by: bobbyturtle, April 17, 2015, 12:18am; Reply: 4
i'm not,
will get to the final then carry on our run of final failures.
so want to believe other wise  :B
Posted by: lukeo, April 17, 2015, 8:58am; Reply: 5
I have been all season until we drew 2-2 then lost to Wrexham, just deflated me a little and now not sure how i feel
Posted by: fivestarfish, April 17, 2015, 10:25am; Reply: 6
WE ARE GOING UP
SAY WE ARE GOING UP
Posted by: Paris Mariner, April 17, 2015, 10:33am; Reply: 7
I am
Posted by: Kymariner12, April 17, 2015, 10:56am; Reply: 8
Confident of getting to Wembley but not if it's against Bristol. They could bring around 30.000 000 fans and we haven't scored against them this season. It's easy to feel worried after 2 poor results but look at our away form and again a stellar defensive record.
Posted by: BIGChris, April 17, 2015, 11:10am; Reply: 9
Quoted from Kymariner12
Confident of getting to Wembley but not if it's against Bristol. They could bring around 30.000 000 fans and we haven't scored against them this season. It's easy to feel worried after 2 poor results but look at our away form and again a stellar defensive record.

WOW!

Big Club
Posted by: diehardmariner, April 17, 2015, 11:25am; Reply: 10
Quoted from Kymariner12

They've only scored once against us and that was with Parslow at centre-back.  That's not a slur on Parslow either, but since that game Toto has hit top form and we've brought Gowling in as superb cover.

We've done enough against the teams in and around the play-offs to fear no-one.  

Posted by: Abdul19, April 17, 2015, 12:32pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from diehardmariner

They've only scored once against us and that was with Parslow at centre-back.  

And the ball went out of play!
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, April 17, 2015, 12:50pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from SamTheMariner
Of getting promoted, I'm more confident than the two previous seasons and we'd have gone to Wembley last year if it weren't for Macca and Hatton and that idiotic referee!

Bearing in mind those factors Sam, I'm confident that we'll get to Wembley but will we win? You got a couple of x ratings against your post though so some must think you're wide of the mark  ;)

I really do hope so...another disappointment there with what will be the biggest stakes we've ever faced at the new stadium would be too much to take

Just hope we get lucky for once...that counts so much on the day (and of course us playing to our potential) so could / should see us back in the league!  :)
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, April 17, 2015, 12:57pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Kymariner12

Just twisting things around because I've seen mentioned elsewhere how we beat Cheltenham home and away in 2005/6 and then blew it on the day in Cardiff

Who's to say that if we did meet Brizzle that we couldn't do something similar and get the win...nothing is written in stone that they will beat us. Anything can happen and I'd think there wouldn't be that much to chose between the two of us on the day. Be perfect symmetry in some ways us playing them...it was the first game of the season and it would be the last.

Who knows maybe Lenny would be our hero converting a sitter this time :)
Posted by: Garth, April 17, 2015, 1:26pm; Reply: 14
Because we are going to play teams that are our equal I will feel confident
Posted by: horsforthmariner, April 17, 2015, 2:08pm; Reply: 15
I just think we will do it this time.
Posted by: Caesar, April 17, 2015, 3:26pm; Reply: 16
I must admit I am not feeling that confident.  But then I have always been a very pessimistic guy when it comes to football.  No matter what arguments are made or how I try to gee myself up I always find myself conjuring up a picture of failure.  

However I do think this will be our best chance yet, we can definitely beat anyone on our day as we have been aware all season, I also think our squad is the strongest squad in years.  Whatever happens in the next 2 games we have to try remember that invulnerable feeling we had before Gateshead at Home and if that isn't possible for eternal pessemists  like myself, I just hope it is for Hurst and the players!

UTM
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, April 17, 2015, 3:33pm; Reply: 17
We're about 3 times more likely not to go up  :-/
Posted by: Madeleymariner, April 17, 2015, 10:06pm; Reply: 18
Anyone not feeling confident should walk round with a tampax in their pocket :)
Posted by: Fcukthescunts, April 17, 2015, 10:09pm; Reply: 19
Think we will get to final and then it is just about which team wants it more and doesn't fear the occasion.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 17, 2015, 10:54pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Anyone not feeling confident should walk round with a tampax in their pocket :)

Is that because they'll be feeling a  [the rest of this message has been impounded]

Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 18, 2015, 11:12am; Reply: 21
100% sure before the Gateshead game not sure now TBH, would like to avoid Bristol Rovers if we get to the final not for any other reason that one of my colleagues at work is a massive Gas Head and he would be giving it the big un all summer................. IMO we are now possibles rather than probabales.  
Posted by: northbankmariner, April 18, 2015, 1:29pm; Reply: 22
Confident. No
Expectant. maybe
Hopefull. definitely

Would love it to be our year, but there is always a nagging doubt in the back of my mind that dissapointment awaits again. Will have to force myself to go to the play offs but will not enjoy them as too nervous with so much at stake. Don't know how badly I will take it if we lose out again. UTM :D
Posted by: Andy, April 18, 2015, 5:06pm; Reply: 23
Irrelevant what supporters think - are the players confident???
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 18, 2015, 5:17pm; Reply: 24
Having watched Forest Green and Eastleigh in the last couple of weeks,

Seen us beat Barnet twice,

We have nothing to fear but fear itself,

and Bristol Rovers

Nah!  we can beat them as well
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, April 18, 2015, 5:19pm; Reply: 25
FGR will win the playoffs , they're on fire just at the right time , will seal position with home game next weekend and beat brizzle over 2 legs .
If we get the better of  Eastleigh over 2 legs to get to the final ( which I'm not confident of ) I'd really not want to get beat by a village team who would prob bring about 3000 to wembley . Jesus the shame of it .
Posted by: big al, April 18, 2015, 5:23pm; Reply: 26
I think the players will be confident of doing it. Not in an arrogant way. They know they can play and these last couple of games we've seen them going through the motions with nothing to play for. Not as confident as I was when it seemed we were charging towards the title but I still expect us to do it.
Posted by: big al, April 18, 2015, 6:01pm; Reply: 27
For anyone feeling a little down or ambivalent about Town's recent performances - have a read of this quote from the BR forum after gifting Dover their equaliser. I feel his pain

[i]No matter what, nothing ever runs for us.

On a day those swine who burned down our ground, chased our players off, the most fickle, nasty hooligans not deserving of the success that fat sharp object buys them won their league (led by a borderline simpleton), we have to endure this s***.

No confidence we will go up in playoff after they bottled it today.  Cant hold on to 1-0 at Dover.

I'm not looking forward to Alfreton, guaranteed Barnet go up as champions.  Barnet.  Barnet are better than us.  

Just goes to show how stupid this game is, we've stood by this club and we get nothing.  The armchair army over the river get yet another promotion.

This club is useless, I regret I ever started going.  This season was the big chance, could be 20 years we are down here.  Some of you will be dead by this time we get back.  When will we ever even be a league below city? 2050?

had enough almost.  Not expecting anything but the same s*** now, I'll go but my heart isn't in it.  Football is too cruel.

Posted by: Rodley Mariner, April 18, 2015, 6:14pm; Reply: 28
Self-pity is very unattractive isn't it?
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, April 18, 2015, 6:17pm; Reply: 29
We are still in a good position.  Also Hurst has the freedom to do what he wants in the last league game.

On the Rovers Board,  they all sound like they have lost a fiver and found 10p!

They think that their game is up. And that Gatrshead are already on their holidays.  

One fan said that he fears for them in the play-offs.  
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, April 18, 2015, 6:21pm; Reply: 30
Just imagine the difference :

Fgr v Eastleigh circa 10000 attendance

Town v brizzle circa 50000 attendance

Am sure those at the fa will be having a word with the refs  ;)
Posted by: poomehellt, April 18, 2015, 7:29pm; Reply: 31
Depends how lucky we are, Hurst and his tactics might somehow fluke a result in the double-legged semis and final. We'll never get promoted without freak results. As long as I've got a hole in my bottom we'll never get promoted with Hurst using his tactical skill....
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, April 18, 2015, 7:39pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from poomehellt
Depends how lucky we are, Hurst and his tactics might somehow fluke a result in the double-legged semis and final. We'll never get promoted without freak results. As long as I've got a hole in my bottom we'll never get promoted with Hurst using his tactical skill....

Wow. Imagine the stick he'd get if we weren't on the brink of setting a new club record for most points in a season.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, April 18, 2015, 7:43pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

Wow. Imagine the stick he'd get if we weren't on the brink of setting a new club record for most points in a season.

Yep, imagine it, stuck in the lowest league we've ever been in. Please tell me how we can be so good against Barnet twice and so shite against Southport twice.
Posted by: Marinerz93, April 18, 2015, 7:43pm; Reply: 34

Shouldn't be that hard for a decent manager in a basement league  ;)
Posted by: Civvy at last, April 18, 2015, 7:47pm; Reply: 35

Shame though that it's not in the football LEAGUE. That would be impressive.

Edit:
You tw@t 93 you beat me to it ⚽️😪
Posted by: Marinerz93, April 18, 2015, 8:06pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Civvy at last

Shame though that it's not in the football LEAGUE. That would be impressive.

Edit:
You tw@t 93 you beat me to it ⚽️😪

;D
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, April 19, 2015, 8:44am; Reply: 37
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Yep, imagine it, stuck in the lowest league we've ever been in. Please tell me how we can be so good against Barnet twice and so shite against Southport twice.

Do your posts make sense to you?

My point was that the idea that Hurst is totally clueless seems harsh given the fact that no manager in our history has ever achieved more points in a season. Yes, it's in the lowest division we've ever been in but that doesn't make it completely irrelevant. He must be doing something right. Why you want me to fly off on a tangent and compare the 4 specific games you've chosen is bizarre.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 19, 2015, 10:22am; Reply: 38
A colleague at work is a big Rovers fan, spoke to him on his way back from Dover and he said "they bottled it" will be interesting to see what happens next week.......... after throwing away a massive opportunity at Dover it must be unbearable to see City p1ss their league.

Clearly BR have a problem with pressure and if Dover can score against them so can we. I don't think we should fear anyone  and should not get paranoid because FGR and Eastleigh have won a few on the bang.

We have a good squad (possibly the best depth in years) great support the players just need to lift the urgency and tempo and keep hold of the ball and we will be o.k.

And finally we are all talking about who we want to play or avoid do you believe anybody would fancy playing us?  One for discussion that?  
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 19, 2015, 10:45am; Reply: 39
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Well maybe for the away games it was because we went to Barnet knowing that we had to win to have any chance of staying in the title race, we fielded a full strength team and the players were all up for it. Against Southport it was a nothing game, win, lose or draw didn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, we fielded a well under-strength team and those who did play didn't really want to get themselves injured.

To compare those two games is quite frankly ridiculous,

Just a thought maybe?
Posted by: highcliff mariner, April 19, 2015, 11:03am; Reply: 40
Spot on Les , some of the posts I've seen on social media have been flipping pathetic ,  I missed yesterday's game because tbh it was a meaningless game . If it had mattered I would of been there . There will be players (, rightly or wrongly ) that feel the same .
Posted by: easypeersy, April 19, 2015, 8:13pm; Reply: 41
We are in with a great chance but chance is all it is.
Knowing our luck something daft will happen just like last year.
It will give us all things to talk about though.
Even if we do not manage it this year, each year I see an improvement.
Eventually we will manage it. Odds are if you keep near the top, eventually it has to be your year!
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 1:59pm