Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Corkyefes, April 13, 2015, 1:00pm
If I was Hurst, id be resting players for the Southport game and bringing them back for the last game at Aldershot.

The problem I think we've had in the last few games is that the players have looked tired and giving them an extra weeks break would do them the world of good going into the play offs.
Also it gives the fringe players the chance to catch the managers eye to potentially play a part in the play offs.

In my opinion, this is Hurst's last chance to take us up.
Luckily for him, not being in the run for the title has now giving him extra time for preparation.

He needs to make the correct decisions in the next couple of weeks to save his job!
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, April 13, 2015, 1:07pm; Reply: 1
I wonder if Barnet's players are tired? It would be much better for the team to go into the playoffs on a roll with a couple of good wins behind them. We did the "rest players" trick before and it didn't work. In any case the players from Saturday ought to show what they can really do asap and play for their places.
Posted by: Maringer, April 13, 2015, 1:11pm; Reply: 2
Newport rested players against us the other season and it worked out for them on that occasion. As we've only got one game a week at the moment, I'd have thought it might be worth playing almost the strongest team as usual but just training them less intensely during the week?

Any important player who has been playing with a niggle could be given a rest, obviously.
Posted by: Corkyefes, April 13, 2015, 1:22pm; Reply: 3
Barnet, at one point were miles ahead of the league and look at them now?
So to answer your question, yes, it shows that they are tired aswell.

But Barnet are not who I'm talking about, my point is WE have looked tired, so what's the point in playing players in these pointless games, when there is a chance of burning them completely out or any of our important players picking up an injury?

How would you feel if Pearson or Magnay picked up an injury against Southport which ruled them out of the play offs?

My point is, Hurst has got decisions to make and playing the fringe players for the Southport game should be his first one!
Posted by: BIGChris, April 13, 2015, 1:31pm; Reply: 4
Rest the players or play them to keep them sharp? :-/

If we end up going up his decision will be the correct one, if we dont, then he will be wrong!
Posted by: GYinScuntland, April 13, 2015, 1:38pm; Reply: 5
Sod that.
I haven't booked trains and hotels to watch the second team in an end of season means nothing to the team kick about.
Insult to the travelling fans if they do that.
Posted by: BIGChris, April 13, 2015, 1:45pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from GYinScuntland
Sod that.
I haven't booked trains and hotels to watch the second team in an end of season means nothing to the team kick about.

Bigger Picture?
Posted by: RichMariner, April 13, 2015, 1:56pm; Reply: 7
It's a difficult one, this. There are arguments for and against 'resting' first teamers.

So Hurst is damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't, because there will always be a section of the crowd who will say he got it wrong if we fail in the play-offs.

But I'd say that the run we've just been on demonstrates that he has been learning. My concern is whether we peaked too early, and the Wrexham performance has forced me to consider whether we're going to revert to type.

God I hope not.
Posted by: Corkyefes, April 13, 2015, 1:59pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from BIGChris
Rest the players or play them to keep them sharp? :-/

If we end up going up his decision will be the correct one, if we dont, then he will be wrong!

What do you think Chris?

I don't know about keeping the players sharp because the haven't looked sharp at all.

The last three performances have screamed out to me that some players need a little extended break!
Posted by: Corkyefes, April 13, 2015, 2:02pm; Reply: 9
Sod that.

Play a full strength side at Southport and then lose in the playoffs because players are tired?

Think you're not thinking about the team in this one and just thinking about your wallet.

If somebody said to me that Town will play a reserve team at Southport but will win the playoffs, but only if you went to the Southport game.... then I'd start walking there now!
Posted by: GYinScuntland, April 13, 2015, 2:03pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from BIGChris

Bigger Picture?

You're right of course but all I ever want is winning and passion.
Posted by: RoboCod, April 13, 2015, 2:04pm; Reply: 11
I'd rather hoped we could take the opportunity over the 2 games to try various systems out, with the hope that we find the right lineup and approach to enable us to;

1-score first,
2-strangle/grind out the game for a bit,
3-grab a second,
4-back to 2

There's a team in there somewhere capable of this (Confused)
Posted by: GYinScuntland, April 13, 2015, 2:08pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Corkyefes

Play a full strength side at Southport and then lose in the playoffs because players are tired?

Think you're not thinking about the team in this one and just thinking about your wallet.

If somebody said to me that Town will play a reserve team at Southport but will win the playoffs, but only if you went to the Southport game.... then I'd start walking there now!

Fair enough and you're right. In fact I've not let rubbish footy spoil a weekend away much anyhow.  ;D  
Posted by: BIGChris, April 13, 2015, 2:16pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Corkyefes

What do you think Chris?

I don't know about keeping the players sharp because the haven't looked sharp at all.

The last three performances have screamed out to me that some players need a little extended break!

Hurst and Doig will know who have been carrying knocks and also who need to keep playing to maintain drive and fitness. Some players will respond to a rest, others wont

Magnay couldnt play Sat/Mon over easter because his knee takes time to recover. Can he cope with Thursday/Sunday in the play offs? I assume so?

I'd certainly expect to see those who have been sat on the bench feature, Chapple, Pittman, Parslow, Hannah, Gowling (if fit). Maybe Bignot too

Probably far to late but with Robertson out i wonder how well we would cope with 3 at the back? Toto, Pearson and Maggers appear mobile and strong enough. May just give us chance of really going for it. Cant see it happening.

OMG I may be turning into 80'sGlory!!! ;)
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, April 13, 2015, 2:21pm; Reply: 14
Toto/Pearson suspensions I think will play a massive factor as well. Any others knocking on a suspension???
Posted by: Corkyefes, April 13, 2015, 2:27pm; Reply: 15

Fair enough and you're right. In fact I've not let rubbish footy spoil a weekend away much anyhow.  ;D  

As long as there's footy, beer and free women, any weekend can be a good one!
Posted by: Maringer, April 13, 2015, 2:27pm; Reply: 16
If Robertson is likely to be unavailable and Magnay is likely to play on the left (as seems probable), I think it would be worth playing a replacement full-back in both of the remaining games before the play-offs, hopefully to get them up to speed. As I've noted, I'd prefer to see Bignot on the right instead of Parslow. Not sure about Walker as an alternative here. I wouldn't like to see Toto played out on the right. How about Gowling? If his mystery injury clears up, is he capable of playing at full-back?
Posted by: Corkyefes, April 13, 2015, 2:30pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from BIGChris

Hurst and Doig will know who have been carrying knocks and also who need to keep playing to maintain drive and fitness. Some players will respond to a rest, others wont

Magnay couldnt play Sat/Mon over easter because his knee takes time to recover. Can he cope with Thursday/Sunday in the play offs? I assume so?

I'd certainly expect to see those who have been sat on the bench feature, Chapple, Pittman, Parslow, Hannah, Gowling (if fit). Maybe Bignot too

Probably far to late but with Robertson out i wonder how well we would cope with 3 at the back? Toto, Pearson and Maggers appear mobile and strong enough. May just give us chance of really going for it. Cant see it happening.

OMG I may be turning into 80'sGlory!!! ;)

Id expect to see all them players start if I was honest.

Can we play three at the back. It wouldn't hurt in the Southport game if it means giving Robertson longer to recover and other players time to rest.

Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Toto/Pearson suspensions I think will play a massive factor as well. Any others knocking on a suspension???

If Pearson and Toto are one away from suspension, then it would make sense for them both to play at Southport, "unfortunately" both pick up a yellow and miss the Aldershot game.
Posted by: Corkyefes, April 13, 2015, 2:34pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Maringer
If Robertson is likely to be unavailable and Magnay is likely to play on the left (as seems probable), I think it would be worth playing a replacement full-back in both of the remaining games before the play-offs, hopefully to get them up to speed. As I've noted, I'd prefer to see Bignot on the right instead of Parslow. Not sure about Walker as an alternative here. I wouldn't like to see Toto played out on the right. How about Gowling? If his mystery injury clears up, is he capable of playing at full-back?

Dependant on who is running the risk of a suspension, my starting line up would be:

McKeown
Bignot, Parslow, Gowling, Winfarrah
Mackreth, Clay or Brown, McClaughlin, Chapple
Hannah, Pitman.

Being fresh for the run in is absolute critical in my eyes.
Posted by: Garth, April 13, 2015, 2:35pm; Reply: 19
Got to give Hannah, Bignot, Gowling and Parslow a run out sometime within the last two official games i would think!
Posted by: BIGChris, April 13, 2015, 2:48pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Pearson is not under threat unless he gets sent off. The amnesty for 10 bookings was yesterday so he wont get done under totting up.

Toto is different. If he were to get to 15 cautions then he would get a 3 match ban. I believe he is on 13 at present
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, April 13, 2015, 4:00pm; Reply: 21
There could be a compromise where some key players are rested.  This could include Toto.
Posted by: oldun, April 13, 2015, 4:30pm; Reply: 22
If I was cynical I would say they had a rest on Saturday!!
Seriously, I am sure Hurst will spread the workload over the final 2 games, depending on fitness and of course the possible suspension problem with Toto. Whatever he does he will be trying to get to a point where he has his strongest 11 fit for the play-off games.
Posted by: RonMariner, April 13, 2015, 4:30pm; Reply: 23
We only need a point to be sure of third place, even if Eastleigh win all three remaining games.

So play a reasonably strong team at Southport to get a result, and then look to rest as many players as possible for the Aldershot game. That way we will be really fresh in the first leg of the playoffs.
Posted by: RonMariner, April 13, 2015, 4:32pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from oldun
If I was cynical I would say they had a rest on Saturday!!
Seriously, I am sure Hurst will spread the workload over the final 2 games, depending on fitness and of course the possible suspension problem with Toto. Whatever he does he will be trying to get to a point where he has his strongest 11 fit for the play-off games.

Definitely rest any key player a booking away from suspension.
Posted by: arryarryarry, April 13, 2015, 5:03pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from RoboCod
I'd rather hoped we could take the opportunity over the 2 games to try various systems out, with the hope that we find the right lineup and approach to enable us to;

1-score first,
2-strangle/grind out the game for a bit,
3-grab a second,
4-back to 2

There's a team in there somewhere capable of this (Confused)

If with 2 games to go we have to start trying different systems to find the right line up, then we are up shitcreek without a paddle.

Posted by: lukeo, April 13, 2015, 5:57pm; Reply: 26
1 game a week, tired? don't make me laugh. If players are getting tired then drop the work load at training and give them a little bit more family time, OR instead of being on the training ground get them all doing something as a team that isn't to strenuous (ie BINGO!)
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 13, 2015, 6:03pm; Reply: 27
Rest ?

After Saturdays performance they deserve extra training,

Some need to learn how to pass a ball to a team mate,

Some need to run about a bit more,

Macca needs to learn how to stop a shot from outside the box,

I think he must stand in the wrong place because he never gets near the ball,

On the other hand shoot at him from 10 yards he makes brilliant saves all the time,

Its a mystery!!!!
Posted by: Jaws, April 13, 2015, 6:11pm; Reply: 28
Rest? They want to be busting a nut and showing us why they should be on the team-sheet in the playoffs and/or in our plans if we go up.

I want some passion in these last games, the fans will have fire in their belly come the end of the month and the players should be getting goosebumps when they pull on the shirt.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, April 13, 2015, 6:34pm; Reply: 29
I hope somebody teaches Macca how to get behind long range shots properly it's a chink in his armor. I am sure opposing teams too have noticed this. Against Wrexham it was noticeable how the forwards were having a few shots at long range.
Posted by: fleabag1970, April 13, 2015, 6:36pm; Reply: 30
Play them all ........ they don't look that motivated at the best of times so momentum could be the key ........ PH wont do it though
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, April 13, 2015, 6:57pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from grimsby pete

Macca needs to learn how to stop a shot from outside the box,

I think he must stand in the wrong place because he never gets near the ball,

On the other hand shoot at him from 10 yards he makes brilliant saves all the time,

Its a mystery!!!!

Harry Wainman was like that Pete. Remember? Anything long range and he didn't react straightaway, almost like he didn't know it was happening until too late.

Posted by: Maringer, April 13, 2015, 8:00pm; Reply: 32
Without seeing a replay, at the time I didn't think McKeown had a real chance with the effort at the weekend. It looked to be very well-placed. Could anybody with a better view, perhaps from in the Pontoon comment if this was the case?

I don't disagree that he does seem to concede a lot of long-rangers, but some of them are certainly belters. Perhaps this might be down to the way our midfield is set up as opposition players do seem to get a lot of time and space outside our box.
Posted by: itsnotcoditshaddock, April 13, 2015, 8:27pm; Reply: 33
We have a squad, use it. Sod's law says someone important will get injured or sent off otherwise.
Posted by: WokingMariner, April 13, 2015, 9:28pm; Reply: 34
Absurd resting players when we have games seven days apart and can still mathematically win the league. We need to keep a settled steady team and keep the momentum going.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, April 13, 2015, 9:47pm; Reply: 35
Play all those who under performed against Wrexham.  :P
Posted by: ackomariner, April 13, 2015, 10:02pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Maringer
Without seeing a replay, at the time I didn't think McKeown had a real chance with the effort at the weekend. It looked to be very well-placed. Could anybody with a better view, perhaps from in the Pontoon comment if this was the case?

I don't disagree that he does seem to concede a lot of long-rangers, but some of them are certainly belters. Perhaps this might be down to the way our midfield is set up as opposition players do seem to get a lot of time and space outside our box.

I'm right at the front in the pontoon and think mckeown got his finger tips on the ball. Barra might have had a better view as sitting three rows behind me
Posted by: moosey_club, April 13, 2015, 10:11pm; Reply: 37
i would rest the manager personally, let him and his team go watch the potential play off opponents while the team pull names out of the hat for positions.
Imagine the delight of rolling up at Southport and finding Mckeown playing left wing, in front of the shop at left back with Scott Brown in goal. Nothing to lose and i am sure the players would have a giggle.
Posted by: arryarryarry, April 13, 2015, 11:13pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from moosey_club
i would rest the manager personally, let him and his team go watch the potential play off opponents while the team pull names out of the hat for positions.
Imagine the delight of rolling up at Southport and finding Mckeown playing left wing, in front of the shop at left back with Scott Brown in goal. Nothing to lose and i am sure the players would have a giggle.

That's how we used to pick our Sunday League team.
Posted by: SamTheMariner, April 14, 2015, 11:22am; Reply: 39
Team for last 2 games would be.

Southport

McKeown

Bignot  Toto  Parslow  Magnay

Chapell  Brown  Clay  Arnold

Pittman  Jolley

Aldershot

McKeown

Parslow  Gowling Pearson Winfarrah

MacKreth  Disley  Paddy   Jolley

John-Lews  Palmer

Team for play-offs (if available)

McKeown

Magnay    Toto    Pearson    Robertson (big "if")

MacKreth    Disley    Clay    Arnold

John-Lewis     Palmer

Posted by: Madeleymariner, April 14, 2015, 12:57pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Corkyefes

As long as there's footy, beer and free women, any weekend can be a good one!

There is no such thing as a free woman :)
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, April 14, 2015, 1:03pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Madeleymariner

There is no such thing as a free woman :)

This isn't really the time and place to discuss your bondage fetish Madeley. ;)

Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 3:43pm