Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: GrimRob, April 7, 2015, 10:18pm
Let's say we get promoted. I must confess it worries me looking at the bottom of L2 that a lot of the clubs there now have only got promoted from our division Mansfield, York, Cambridge, Oxford have all flirted with relegation. The side we have now is vastly better than the one that relegated, but the standard in L2 appears to have gone up in the intervening years. The nightmare scenario would be to get related again into the abyss, but I fear we wouldn't necessrily thrive in L2.
Posted by: Abdul19, April 7, 2015, 10:26pm; Reply: 1
If you offered me the chance of being in any of those 4 clubs current position in a year's time I'd snap your hand off.
Posted by: Chrisblor, April 7, 2015, 10:45pm; Reply: 2
Yeah, I imagine they're all distraught about playing teams like Portsmouth, Tranmere and Plymouth when they could be down here playing Dartford, Nuneaton, Eastleigh, Welling etc.

I see you've neglected to mention Luton as well who are 1 point outside the playoffs with 5 games remaining.
Posted by: aldi_01, April 7, 2015, 10:50pm; Reply: 3
The argument can work the other way, Newport are in a play off place, luton flirted with it (we all knew John still's one dimensional play would get figured out by better teams), fleetwood and Crawley both went up, Daggers did and then came down so as well as struggling we could equally do well...
Posted by: Abdul19, April 7, 2015, 10:56pm; Reply: 4
Stevenage too
Posted by: Brisbane Mariner, April 8, 2015, 12:13am; Reply: 5
lets get there first then worry about it - There's a lot of football to shape our season yet! I do think that if we go we may well be a solid mid table but look to invest and improve over the next 2 - 3 years. I don't have an issue with being a solid performer in L2 if it gets us on a pathway to better things.
Posted by: Brisbane Mariner, April 8, 2015, 12:13am; Reply: 6
lets get there first then worry about it - There's a lot of football to shape our season yet! I do think that if we go we may well be a solid mid table but look to invest and improve over the next 2 - 3 years. I don't have an issue with being a solid performer in L2 if it gets us on a pathway to better things.
Posted by: SpudUDontLike, April 8, 2015, 12:21am; Reply: 7
Having studied the history books over the last couple of minutes, it seems that promoted clubs quite often find themselves playing higher quality teams in their new division.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, April 8, 2015, 12:43am; Reply: 8
Quoted from SpudUDontLike
Having studied the history books over the last couple of minutes, it seems that promoted clubs quite often find themselves playing higher quality teams in their new division.

;D
Posted by: bobbyturtle, April 8, 2015, 1:27am; Reply: 9
what?
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, April 8, 2015, 1:32am; Reply: 10
I bet Bournemouth fans are bricking it in case they go up and have to face Man Utd and Chelsea.
Posted by: Fcukthescunts, April 8, 2015, 8:23am; Reply: 11
Let's get there first. #believe
Posted by: aldi_01, April 8, 2015, 8:32am; Reply: 12
In reality Bournemouth fans probably are a tad worried about going up. Yes they'll enjoy every minute but long term it could be detrimental to the club.

They've already nearly been wound up and faced sanctions for it. Not to mention the businesses they owed money too that never got anything even when they became financially safe, going up could start the whole thing all over again.

Is it worth the risk? Probably but there still has to be some understandable caution...
Posted by: acko338, April 8, 2015, 8:33am; Reply: 13
I'll discuss it further after the middle of May, when my thought process will be loads clearer, I'll have finished my holiday and will have celebrated or suffered, and my finger nails will have recovered and regrown !!

I pray that it's automatic, as I'm abroad for the play off period and it could ruin the holiday for my other half if I'm grumpy !!
Posted by: grimps, April 8, 2015, 9:00am; Reply: 14
Of Bournemouth was sensible and kept the same team if they got promoted they'd have no problems , give that team a healthy pay rise , say 50% . Then save the rest which would keep set a club like them up for life. The problems come when promoted teams start to spend silly money on average players and still get relegated
Posted by: gary_elton, April 8, 2015, 9:18am; Reply: 15
"Small" clubs that went up to the Prem... Barnsley  and  Bradford , and Leeds...  not exactly done them much good,
unless we had a 50,000 stadium it wouldnt be worth it for Town... we'll still be a a 3 sided BP in twenty years....
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, April 8, 2015, 9:56am; Reply: 16
I think that promotion brings new benefits and risks.  Change can be good or bad.  It is better to be there than not at all.  

A real problem is complacency and managing heightened expectations.  I remember Charlton being mid-table in the Premiership for a few seasons.  Quite a few of their fans were getting fed-up.  When they slipped down the leagues, they soon realised what they taken for granted and sorely missed.

Similar to Town when we were in the Championship and playing Chelsea, Man City and Newcastle. Now we play teams that we have not heard of before and do not know where they are in the country.

Any chance of promotion should be taken - whatever the perceived risks of this.
Print page generated: April 23, 2024, 7:43pm