Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, April 7, 2015, 9:11am
Won 8, drew 2.  That is about as good as it gets.  

We are still most likely heading for the top 2 in the play-offs. And in top form.

I fancy us to get to Wembley against any of the teams below us.  If Barnet miss out I also fancy us to beat them.They only seem to have a plan A.   If they miss out out on automatic promotion they may not recover in time.  In the same way that Wrexham did not when they got 99 points but finished second.

Playing Bristol Rovers at Wembley is different.  I am not confident of beating them, although we might in a one-off game on the day.  Assuming that they get to Wembley. They may also have a bad reaction if they have missed out on automatic promotion.  

On the plus side, we do have a fully-fit squad, a successful, settled team and can cover any injuries or suspensions. We should be confident after a long unbeaten run. We may be able to rest key players.

We should go further in the play-offs that the last 2 years. We are ready and must better prepared this year.  
Posted by: BIGChris, April 7, 2015, 9:43am; Reply: 1
Not sure I share (what seems like) everybody's elses view that we will not beat Bristol Rovers should we meet them at Wembley.

We are perfectly capable of doing so. In the two games against them we have been far from our best and i think their main 'weakness' is a lack of pace which is hard to hide in the big open spaces of Wembley.

Not totally ruled out winning the league yet but if it is the play offs we look far stronger than the previous two attempts

Believe!
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, April 7, 2015, 9:51am; Reply: 2
I'd worry about playing Forest Green over 2 legs to be honest. They're in good form and Parkin has 15 goals in his last 16 games, and someone I think Pearson would struggle to dominate. The best result if we can't win the league would be for Brovers to win. Barnet finish 2nd so play Forest Green in the semis and us play Macclesfield.
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 7, 2015, 9:56am; Reply: 3
We can do this ,

If not champions then we will win play offs !!!!!!
Posted by: LH, April 7, 2015, 10:11am; Reply: 4
Hopefully we go out for the next three games with the intention of posting some three or four goal victories to a) give us the best chance of sneaking the title and b) scaring the excrement out of any potential play off opponents.
Posted by: supertown, April 7, 2015, 10:47am; Reply: 5
This is the first year i have felt confident, if we have to do it via the playoffs
Posted by: grimps, April 7, 2015, 11:10am; Reply: 6
If we played rovers at Wembley they'd be over 60000 there. This would give us a ££million  plus war chest for next season back in the league
Posted by: BIGChris, April 7, 2015, 12:11pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
I'd worry about playing Forest Green over 2 legs to be honest. They're in good form.

Did you not see their game at home to Aldershot on the TV last week. They were awful
Posted by: cmackenzie4, April 7, 2015, 12:45pm; Reply: 8
I agree with Chris, I watched the FGR game against Aldershot and I thought they looked mediocre at best! when Aldershot upped their game in the 2nd half FGR couldn't cope with it, the way to beat FGR is take it to em and don't give them any room to play (close them down on everything)

What will hopefully work in our favour in the playoffs is that we have a squad of players who have been in this posistion before (some with other teams)  and some with Town, I know the playoffs are a lottery but usually the better team win them .  having watched FGR, Bristol/Barnet, Macclesfield, Woking I feel we are a better football team than any of these teams.

My prediction is we will get FGR over the 2 legs and then Barnet at Wembley and league 2 next season!  8)
Posted by: SamTheMariner, April 7, 2015, 12:50pm; Reply: 9
I thought we dealt with Parkin well at FGR, we put Toto on him rather than Pearson and it worked. Another positive that came out of yesterday was that Gowling looked a more than competent backup for Toto.

It doesn't matter who we play, they're one off games. Last season Halifax went into the play offs having won 9 of the last 11 and Cambridge went in having won about 2 of last 11 and Cmabridge won. 2 seasons ago we lost to Newport, we beat them 3-0 on the last day of the season.
Posted by: moosey_club, April 7, 2015, 12:56pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from SamTheMariner

It doesn't matter who we play, they're one off games. Last season Halifax went into the play offs having won 9 of the last 11 and Cambridge went in having won about 2 of last 11 and Cmabridge won. 2 seasons ago we lost to Newport, we beat them 3-0 on the last day of the season.

Apart from the two legged games.....  ;)
Posted by: horsforthmariner, April 7, 2015, 2:14pm; Reply: 11
The Cambridge analogy is a bit dangerous as yes they lost their last 4 - but they were already safe in second place with no hope of the title. I believe Richard Money rested a load of players and tried different formations and tactics.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, April 7, 2015, 3:04pm; Reply: 12
It is not that we cannot beat Rovers, if we play them.  It is just that I am not confident.  Are they the only team that we have not scored against?

With the "Cheltenham" results prior to Cardiff, I suppose anything is possible.

Huddersfield had not lost in 27 league and play-off matches.  They still lost 3-0 to Peterborough in the final.

Posted by: RichMariner, April 7, 2015, 3:05pm; Reply: 13
On the topic of Cambridge I'm surprised to see them so low in the League 2 table.

No danger of going back down but I guess it goes against recent examples that suggest a strong Conference side is more than capable of being strong in League 2 too.
Posted by: Kymariner12, April 7, 2015, 3:57pm; Reply: 14
You say no danger of going down but they have been poor of late
Posted by: Abdul19, April 7, 2015, 4:02pm; Reply: 15
Effectively 9 points clear with 5 games to go. Even at big odds I wouldn't bother sticking a quid on it.
Posted by: moosey_club, April 7, 2015, 6:56pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from RichMariner
On the topic of Cambridge I'm surprised to see them so low in the League 2 table.

No danger of going back down but I guess it goes against recent examples that suggest a strong Conference side is more than capable of being strong in League 2 too.

They went up more on defensive capability than attacking potency, alot of 1 goal margins in low soring games IIRC,  harder to score at a higher level i guess.
Posted by: Teestogreen, April 7, 2015, 7:34pm; Reply: 17
Grimsby Town are, currently, the best team in this league i.m.o.

They may have 'mucked it up' in some games this season, but this squad should be in League 2 next season. If it's not in top spot, then it should be promoted via the playoffs - (might make a bit of money as well) -  ;)

If things conspire against us - usually referees and linesmen / women, then next season would be equally as compulsive.

To be honest, the Conference Premier has a lot going for it - more than League 2 it seems (League 2 coverage is fairly superficial) . C.P. enjoyable through BT Sport.

If the worst was to happen - and we didn't get promoted, I would look forward to next season with the expectation that Town are likely to win lots of games again.

See, I have finally been conditioned to the Conference - is this good or bad? Forty years ago, non league was unthinkable - but many seasons were a struggle!?

Posted by: rancido, April 7, 2015, 7:58pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Teestogreen
Grimsby Town are, currently, the best team in this league i.m.o.

They may have 'mucked it up' in some games this season, but this squad should be in League 2 next season. If it's not in top spot, then it should be promoted via the playoffs - (might make a bit of money as well) -  ;)

If things conspire against us - usually referees and linesmen / women, then next season would be equally as compulsive.

To be honest, the Conference Premier has a lot going for it - more than League 2 it seems (League 2 coverage is fairly superficial) . C.P. enjoyable through BT Sport.

If the worst was to happen - and we didn't get promoted, I would look forward to next season with the expectation that Town are likely to win lots of games again.

See, I have finally been conditioned to the Conference - is this good or bad? Forty years ago, non league was unthinkable - but many seasons were a struggle!?

Things have changed enormously in non-league football. Automatic promotion to the league has had a significant effect on the teams . Prior to this it was always hit and miss if you would be voted into the League and all the teams were part-time. I think over half the times in our league are full-time now and every season more teams seem to be making that move to professionalism. I certainly don't want to be at this level but it is a better place to be now than it was 40 years ago.
Posted by: BIGChris, April 7, 2015, 8:04pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from rancido

Things have changed enormously in non-league football. Automatic promotion to the league has had a significant effect on the teams . Prior to this it was always hit and miss if you would be voted into the League and all the teams were part-time. I think over half the times in our league are full-time now and every season more teams seem to be making that move to professionalism. I certainly don't want to be at this level but it is a better place to be now than it was 40 years ago.

Certainly 35 years ago when the first national non league division came into being, The Alliance was not a place for the squeamish! Yes, football in General was more physical but the Alliance was the home of some very vicious thugs ( I was cultured of course  ;) )
Posted by: chaos33, April 7, 2015, 8:16pm; Reply: 20
I don't think we should get too wistful about conference football. The football league is the only place to be and where a club like us needs to be if it wants to survive. Don't forget that we will have a significantly smaller budget next year in all probability, so IMO, we simply must get promoted by hook or by crook this season.
Posted by: essexexile, April 7, 2015, 8:17pm; Reply: 21
There's no doubt we've got momentum at the moment and let's hope we can keep it going not only in case the other 2 slip up but also to get to Wembley if we have to do it that way. Can't help feeling that the play-off final is a bit of a lottery and many more factors come into play in that game than simply form leading up to it.
Posted by: gytone, April 7, 2015, 8:56pm; Reply: 22
If we was to meet Rovers I don't think there would be 60,000 there, might be 30,000 Rovers fans but don't see us taking many more than 10,000 !
Posted by: chaos33, April 7, 2015, 9:16pm; Reply: 23
I think we'd take more than 10k, but I agree, I don't think there'd be 60,000 there either. More like 35/40,000 maybe.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, April 7, 2015, 9:16pm; Reply: 24
After being top most of the season Barnet more than anybody will be devastated to be in the playoffs imho.

I think we would take between 15- 20k to Wembley regardless of who we face.
Posted by: chaos33, April 7, 2015, 9:16pm; Reply: 25
I think we'd take more than 10k, but I agree, I don't think there'd be 60,000 there either. More like 35/40,000 maybe.
Posted by: gytone, April 7, 2015, 9:21pm; Reply: 26
I hope youre right bud, just think we have been to Wembley quite a lot just lately and had a few disappointments the last few times, along with costs I don't think there would be many more 10k, anyway it wont matter we are going to be champions  :P
Posted by: Biccys, April 7, 2015, 9:23pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from gytone
I hope youre right bud, just think we have been to Wembley quite a lot just lately and had a few disappointments the last few times, along with costs I don't think there would be many more 10k, anyway it wont matter we are going to be champions  :P

Who would have thought we would be saying that in the early 90's...?!
Posted by: mariner91, April 7, 2015, 9:25pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from gytone
If we was to meet Rovers I don't think there would be 60,000 there, might be 30,000 Rovers fans but don't see us taking many more than 10,000 !

You think we'd take to a play off final at the national stadium only 4 times as many as we took to shitty (no disrepect) Alfreton?! We'd take at least 15,000, that I am sure of.
Posted by: kevikov, April 7, 2015, 9:42pm; Reply: 29
Given the right press coverage and the feel good factor around the squad at the minute, i'd think late teens to 20k. Plus 15000 bristol city hi-jackers!!

IF we meet rovers, obviously. I've git it into my head we're heading there and playing them!
Posted by: Brisbane Mariner, April 7, 2015, 11:51pm; Reply: 30
It definitely feels like we are in the best form and fitness and everyone seems to be pulling their weight even the fact we have goal scorers all over the park - we have not had it this good at this stage in this league ever! UTM 8)
Posted by: Abdul19, April 8, 2015, 12:49am; Reply: 31
Rovers took about 40k to the League 2 playoff final in 2007 so I don't think 60k is too daft an estimate.
Posted by: diehardmariner, April 8, 2015, 10:29am; Reply: 32
If, this is a big if as there's still plenty of twists yet to come over the next 3 games, we are in the play-offs we have nothing to fear, especially not Bristol Rovers.

The opening day means nothing now, we were thread-bare, they were still finding their feet in the Conference.

The game in mid-Feb was our low point before we rose again.  We've not lost a game since, in fact we've dropped just four points.  We didn't have Pittman or Palmer available, we had Jolley up front (which thankfully has since been dropped as an idea), neither Disley or Clay had great games, we just didn't play well at all.  We probably needed that little bit of a humbling against them to shake us back to life.  

The bench that day was Bignot, Hannah, Parslow, McLaughlin and Watson.  After the game there was a mass hysteria for the latter of that list to be involved in the starting eleven.  The lengths of how much we've improved is in the fact that the same two have since gone out on loan and no-one has really noticed.  Our bench on Monday, even with players rested altogether was far stronger (Brown, Chappell, Palmer, Hannah and Arnold).  We're in a much better position than two-months ago.  

We need to fear no-one.  

2006 we got thumped by Lincoln in the league weeks before the dispensing of them in the semi's.  We then lost to Cheltenham in the final having cruised past them in both league fixtures.  It's not as simple as looking at previous form or results.  It's about who can handle it the best, I look at this squad and have no doubts they can and will handle any pressure.
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 8, 2015, 10:45am; Reply: 33
Quoted from BIGChris

Did you not see their game at home to Aldershot on the TV last week. They were awful

I did and Parkin was crap.
Posted by: acko338, April 8, 2015, 11:02am; Reply: 34
If we do not go up automatically, I will remember three games as being the ones that have cost us badly - Lincoln - home & away - 0 out of 6 points gained, and the 2 points literally thrown away when 2 up playing Chester - 8 more points that we REALLY should have accumulated would have removed jittery fears from all remaining games.

I don't class the loss at home to Bristol Rovers as points LOST, as they out played us with their team set up and tactics, combined with forward injuries and the midfielders all off form on the same day. Clay's worse game all year, but not just his fault - no one to pass to and caught in possession too many times with few options available!

I couldn't see us scoring that day, but Hannah's finish, albeit given offside, was a highpoint in a very frustrating day that was immediately deflated again - probably wouldn't have been deserved but that alone would have made a big difference !

We have the players now that could win any remaining game, including playoff games - will they step up, unlike previous years when we have fallen at a similar hurdle?

That showed what could have been achieved, but the team just didn't seem up for the challenge.
Posted by: diehardmariner, April 8, 2015, 12:20pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from acko338
If we do not go up automatically, I will remember three games as being the ones that have cost us badly - Lincoln - home & away - 0 out of 6 points gained, and the 2 points literally thrown away when 2 up playing Chester - 8 more points that we REALLY should have accumulated would have removed jittery fears from all remaining games.

I don't class the loss at home to Bristol Rovers as points LOST, as they out played us with their team set up and tactics, combined with forward injuries and the midfielders all off form on the same day. Clay's worse game all year, but not just his fault - no one to pass to and caught in possession too many times with few options available!

I couldn't see us scoring that day, but Hannah's finish, albeit given offside, was a highpoint in a very frustrating day that was immediately deflated again - probably wouldn't have been deserved but that alone would have made a big difference !

We have the players now that could win any remaining game, including playoff games - will they step up, unlike previous years when we have fallen at a similar hurdle?

That showed what could have been achieved, but the team just didn't seem up for the challenge.

Really?

Lincoln away we just got out thought.  At here we were well and truly beaten by a better side on the day.  It's the draws at home to Nuneaton, Dover and Altrincham along with the home defeat to Southport that are far more telling.
Posted by: Abdul19, April 8, 2015, 12:58pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from acko338
as they out played us with their team set up and tactics, combined with forward injuries and the midfielders all off form on the same day.  

Agreed, but despite all that they only beat us with a goal that shouldn't have counted (the ball went out of play)
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 3:11pm