Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, April 5, 2015, 8:19am
Well got a close look at it yesterday and it looked pretty good was talking to the guy who was marketing it he said because the seat takes up more width as standing when the standing option is used it is possible to double the capacity and he showed how this would work.

Now this raises several questions to mind would you be allowed to do it, what would the pricing be compared to sitting a and who would decides all this.

I also asked him our expensive they were to fit he said about double the price of normal plastic seats but they last longer. Obviously sponsorship could take care of that.

Don't know how long we have at Blundell Park but they could probably be moved if required .

Posted by: gobby, April 5, 2015, 8:24am; Reply: 1
Told us £80/£90 per seat and frame then fitting on top of that. I was concerned that you would not be able to see over the bar in front but that was soon quashed when I sat in the seat, even a smaller gent was happy enough and did not get a restricted view.  8)
UTMM
Posted by: aldi_01, April 5, 2015, 9:30am; Reply: 2
Lots of new grounds on the continent have safe standing, it works, research and evidence says so and in theory it makes the cost a ticket cheap...or is that the reason why the FA/clubs don't want it, especially at the top level...

They're quite happy ripping off fans.

Is it worth putting it in BP? Not if we are wanting to move in 5 years, that said we all know we'll still be at BP in 10 years so I'd stick it in the pontoon and lower findus...
Posted by: LH, April 5, 2015, 12:11pm; Reply: 3
Just get it in. Let's be innovators. Do the full Pontoon and Lower as aldi said.
Posted by: mariner tommy, April 5, 2015, 12:18pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from LH
Just get it in. Let's be innovators. Do the full Pontoon and Lower as aldi said.

But you have another problem then, not everybody wants to stand. I don't.

UTM
Posted by: mariner2000, April 5, 2015, 12:23pm; Reply: 5
so I assume it would have to be everybody sits or everybody stands.  If you can get double the number in standing will you be shouted and and then evicted for sitting???  
Posted by: KK_DOG, April 5, 2015, 1:30pm; Reply: 6
Thought the idea was to do just a section of the Pontoon, eg top right hand corner. Don't want them messing with the lower Findus.
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, April 5, 2015, 1:39pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from mariner tommy

But you have another problem then, not everybody wants to stand. I don't.

UTM

Well buy a seat then.
Posted by: mimma, April 5, 2015, 1:45pm; Reply: 8
the seats are metal & even yesterday they felt cold. In the winter I suggest that you bring something to put over them, otherwise it's not going to do your piles any good!!

Just one question, who & why will it be standing or seating? What will be the criteria?
Posted by: KK_DOG, April 5, 2015, 1:47pm; Reply: 9
Not sure why we would need the seat part.
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, April 5, 2015, 1:49pm; Reply: 10
It will be for standing.  The seat part is there in case we get into the Europa League.
Posted by: KK_DOG, April 5, 2015, 1:51pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from HackneyHaddock
It will be for standing.  The seat part is there in case we get into the Europa League.

Get rid of the seat part and save some cash.

Posted by: grimps, April 5, 2015, 2:00pm; Reply: 12
It would be cheaper and would give us a bigger capacity if we just built the corners back up with terracing
Posted by: moosey_club, April 5, 2015, 2:04pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from grimps
It would be cheaper and would give us a bigger capacity if we just built the corners back up with terracing

it would be cheaper to give the YT's a bag of spanners to remove the seats from a section and then just bolt in some crash barriers instead. However i am not sure if we are allowed to convert seating into terracing??
Posted by: grimps, April 5, 2015, 2:07pm; Reply: 14
I can't believe we knocked the corners down to be honest , I suppose when we went all seater nobody thought 20 years later we'd still be here . I reckon the old corners must have held a couple of thousand each
Posted by: vuvuzela_hater, April 5, 2015, 2:13pm; Reply: 15
I think safe standing is a great idea.  but if you had a thousand seats at the price quoted above, plus fitting, you're looking at over £100,000.   We're struggling it seems to find sponsors for the YT,  and other sponsors for the first team, I can't see a sponsor chucking a hundred grand at something with little or no end product other than to stand where your seat is (which is what most of the area that is being blueprinted for this scheme do anyway).   Would love the whole of the pontoon as terracing, but if the laws don't allow this then can't see safe standing being viable.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, April 5, 2015, 3:55pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from KK_DOG
Not sure why we would need the seat part.

Agreed, can we not just turn the Ponny into terracing? :-/

Posted by: ackomariner, April 5, 2015, 3:59pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from vuvuzela_hater
I think safe standing is a great idea.  but if you had a thousand seats at the price quoted above, plus fitting, you're looking at over £100,000.   We're struggling it seems to find sponsors for the YT,  and other sponsors for the first team, I can't see a sponsor chucking a hundred grand at something with little or no end product other than to stand where your seat is (which is what most of the area that is being blueprinted for this scheme do anyway).   Would love the whole of the pontoon as terracing, but if the laws don't allow this then can't see safe standing being viable.

Struggling to find 16million for the new ground too  :P
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, April 5, 2015, 4:04pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Well got a close look at it yesterday and it looked pretty good was talking to the guy who was marketing it he said because the seat takes up more width as standing when the standing option is used it is possible to double the capacity and he showed how this would work.

Now this raises several questions to mind would you be allowed to do it, what would the pricing be compared to sitting a and who would decides all this.

I also asked him our expensive they were to fit he said about double the price of normal plastic seats but they last longer. Obviously sponsorship could take care of that.

Don't know how long we have at Blundell Park but they could probably be moved if required .

I think the very last thing on my agenda in relation to GTFC would be considering "safe standing" at BP. Either move or redevelop the ground properly. Who the hell wants to stand in this day and age anyway?
Posted by: BIGChris, April 5, 2015, 4:53pm; Reply: 19

I think the very last thing on my agenda in relation to GTFC would be considering "safe standing" at BP. Either move or redevelop the ground properly. Who the hell wants to stand in this day and age anyway?

Quite a few people prefer to stand, not me, but many do. As I type this the NEDerby is on the TV and most of the Sunderland fans behind the goal are permanently standing. This in an all seater stadium!

The current law is an behind. In the 5th tier we should be able to remove the seats and have terracing. We are averaging 3500(?) so provided entry into standing areas is restricted and monitored it really is stupid that we cannot do this on safety grounds!

It seems that after Hillsborough every club was granted a licence based on their standing at that time. We were in the 2nd tier ( sorry for the reminder!). I have been told that, are this is really crazy, is that the club have the licence NOT the ground so as it stands even a new stadium would have to be all seater. We can appeal, and I am sure we will, but they do not want to set precedents. Hope this is wrong but I find it very alarming.
Posted by: MarinerWY, April 5, 2015, 5:38pm; Reply: 20

Quite a lot of people, as evidenced in some sections of the ground at home games and at many away games. Myself included.

http://www.fsf.org.uk/petitions/support-safe-standing/ See here - it seems that when the Football Supporters Federation conducted a survey, nearly 90% of backed the choice to stand or sit.

I actually think it's more dangerous when hundreds of fans stand in seated stadiums: you can easily fall forwards if there was any kind of surge. The bars make each row separated and are a good height. I'm all for it and if we get it, that's where I'll be.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, April 5, 2015, 8:52pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from BIGChris

Quite a few people prefer to stand, not me, but many do. As I type this the NEDerby is on the TV and most of the Sunderland fans behind the goal are permanently standing. This in an all seater stadium!

The current law is an behind. In the 5th tier we should be able to remove the seats and have terracing. We are averaging 3500(?) so provided entry into standing areas is restricted and monitored it really is stupid that we cannot do this on safety grounds!

It seems that after Hillsborough every club was granted a licence based on their standing at that time. We were in the 2nd tier ( sorry for the reminder!). I have been told that, are this is really crazy, is that the club have the licence NOT the ground so as it stands even a new stadium would have to be all seater. We can appeal, and I am sure we will, but they do not want to set precedents. Hope this is wrong but I find it very alarming.

The best thing about BP is that it is all seater. Compare that to the average non league ground. Why on earth we would want standing? Surely our aspirations are greater than the 5th tier, so it is my opinion that standing would be a backward step. No top club has standing do they?  
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, April 5, 2015, 9:00pm; Reply: 22

The best thing about BP is that it is all seater. Compare that to the average non league ground. Why on earth we would want standing? Surely our aspirations are greater than the 5th tier, so it is my opinion that standing would be a backward step. No top club has standing do they?  

There is a lot of people in favour of bringing in safe standing higher up the pyramid. IMO it will be very common in 5 years.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, April 5, 2015, 9:09pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

There is a lot of people in favour of bringing in safe standing higher up the pyramid. IMO it will be very common in 5 years.

I have been in BP when 24,000 were standing (mind you it was a bit of a squeeze) and I am aware of the emotional attachment to standing, but I think the benefits of seating far outweigh that of standing.  
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, April 5, 2015, 9:20pm; Reply: 24
The main advantage it had over the old terracing was the fact it had hand rails to hold on and prevent the old surging from the back. This may have looked good but if you were the poor sod that got crushed against the concrete crush barrier or front fence wasn't much fun.

Yes as eluded to earlier those seats made out of metal looked cold and hard and why bother if you are going to be standing?

Rust issues looked like it could be a real problem you could envisage this after a few seasons with our climate so regular maintenance costs would be needed.  
Posted by: aldi_01, April 6, 2015, 8:58am; Reply: 25
Nobody is saying make stadiums all standing, you have the option of both.

Safe standing has been a roaring success on the continent. Fact is safe standing works but there are reasons why the FA won't sanction it. People are missing the point too, people aren't saying that clubs should have it, what people are saying is that a club should have the choice.

The reason we haven't had a stadium disaster in recent times is because stadiums are designed better, more turnstiles, larger concourses etc, not because they're all seater.

I say allow clubs the option, charge an appropriate price for the tickets and may be our FA could love in to the 21st century...
Posted by: BIGChris, April 6, 2015, 9:38am; Reply: 26

It is about giving people a choice.

Some people prefer fat woman ;)
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 1:25pm