Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, April 1, 2015, 11:07am
Against Gateshead at home in play-off last season our bench was:

Cook
Thanoj
Southwell
McLaughlin
Fyfield

Cook & Southwell now league below.
Thanoj & Fyfield now in a relegation battle.
Paddy out on loan

In our starting 11 we had
Hatton - Playing just above relegation zone
Thomas - Has disappeared
Kerr - Now playing for a team 2nd bottom in league below
Neilson - also league below because he cant be bothered

basis the above, i just believe we are stronger all over

I would take Robertson over Thomas
Brown over Kerr
Magnay over Hatton
Arnold over Neilson - because Neilson was a 1 in 5 player,
Palmer over Cook

Our bench on Saturday was ridiculously strong:

Clay - Great work rate, gives 100% and is a battler
Pittman - Goalscorer, and also gives 100%
Jolley - Lacking confidence but his time at Newport was no luck
Parslow - he ok
Chapell - got the signs of a good player, but not seen him enough

Gowling who was captain for Kidderminster when they came 2nd two seasons ago as a back-up

all the signs are positive.

Lets do this !!!!!!
Posted by: northbankmariner, April 1, 2015, 12:15pm; Reply: 1
Valid points, we are very much stronger than last season. Whilst cautiously optimistic it is hard not together carried away right now. But the strength in depth is there for all to see. The manager, players and the board have done so much RIGHT this season that I hope the end justifies all their efforts.
Posted by: horsforthmariner, April 1, 2015, 12:52pm; Reply: 2
I was going to do a best team of our time in the conference thread but I realised it was pretty  pointless as it would be totally dominated by the present side.

Pond and Hearn might be in the side, Connell and Rodman pushing for bench but no-else in reality.
Posted by: Rick12, April 1, 2015, 1:03pm; Reply: 3
Shame about Neilson would of been a quality player if he put in the effort especially at this level
Posted by: MuddyWaters, April 1, 2015, 1:10pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Against Gateshead at home in play-off last season our bench was:

Cook
Thanoj
Southwell
McLaughlin
Fyfield

Cook & Southwell now league below.
Thanoj & Fyfield now in a relegation battle.
Paddy out on loan

In our starting 11 we had
Hatton - Playing just above relegation zone
Thomas - Has disappeared
Kerr - Now playing for a team 2nd bottom in league below
Neilson - also league below because he cant be bothered

basis the above, i just believe we are stronger all over

I would take Robertson over Thomas
Brown over Kerr
Magnay over Hatton
Arnold over Neilson - because Neilson was a 1 in 5 player,
Palmer over Cook

Our bench on Saturday was ridiculously strong:

Clay - Great work rate, gives 100% and is a battler
Pittman - Goalscorer, and also gives 100%
Jolley - Lacking confidence but his time at Newport was no luck
Parslow - he ok
Chapell - got the signs of a good player, but not seen him enough

Gowling who was captain for Kidderminster when they came 2nd two seasons ago as a back-up

all the signs are positive.

Lets do this !!!!!!

Don't disagree with this although, for balance, we ought to congratulate Messrs Cook and Southwell who are 4th and 2nd highest scorers in Conf North, the only player to score more than Dayle? Omar Bogle!
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 1, 2015, 2:01pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Don't disagree with this although, for balance, we ought to congratulate Messrs Cook and Southwell who are 4th and 2nd highest scorers in Conf North, the only player to score more than Dayle? Omar Bogle!

I would rather have Ollie,

Oh ! we have  :)
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, April 1, 2015, 2:04pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from MuddyWaters

don't disagree with you, but we also have the 7th top scorer in the league above them and he is not classed as a goalscorer !
Palmer has now scored 4 in his last 5

so we are in a better position with the team we have
Posted by: excusebeef, April 1, 2015, 2:05pm; Reply: 7
lets not forget our manager is relatively young and still learning. Yes we might have been in this league more years than we had hoped, however 3 seasons in the playoffs , a gradual improvement year on year and sticking with the same guy (saves the wholesale changes) if we can go up, I believe like many other clubs that have gone up, could do well in the first league season as we have learnt to bring in the right sort of players and not the woeful journeymen of the Newell and Woods eras
Posted by: diehardmariner, April 1, 2015, 3:20pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from horsforthmariner
I was going to do a best team of our time in the conference thread but I realised it was pretty  pointless as it would be totally dominated by the present side.

Pond and Hearn might be in the side, Connell and Rodman pushing for bench but no-else in reality.

Connor Townsend.
Posted by: horsforthmariner, April 1, 2015, 3:24pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from diehardmariner

Connor Townsend.

I'd forgotten about him - Would he as he was then get in ahead of our present fullbacks? I'm not convinced. He obviously would now.
Posted by: diehardmariner, April 1, 2015, 3:30pm; Reply: 10
I like Robertson but Townsend was superb.

I'd go as far as saying Townsend was the best left-back we've had since...errrrr.
Posted by: horsforthmariner, April 1, 2015, 3:46pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from diehardmariner
I like Robertson but Townsend was superb.

I'd go as far as saying Townsend was the best left-back we've had since...errrrr.

Gallimore?

One of my favourite Town Footballers
Posted by: horsforthmariner, April 1, 2015, 4:09pm; Reply: 12
The only thing I'd add is that Townsend was playing alongside some absolute dross - it may have made him look a bit a better than he really was.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, April 1, 2015, 4:18pm; Reply: 13
Let's smash em!  I really hope we win these smug cheats, really looking forward to this one.
Posted by: rancido, April 1, 2015, 8:13pm; Reply: 14
I think PH deserves a lot of credit for our improvement. He has learnt season by season what is required to be successful in this league. He is still relatively young but has only been his own man for 2 seasons. The transition from being the co-manager of a part-time 6th level club to sole manager of a  full-time 5th level club ( with an absolute target of getting back into the League ) is huge. Expectations are high and fans can be very unforgiving if things go wrong. You only have to look at Luton's repeated attempts to gain league status with constant managerial changes and all the disruption that goes with it. We have got stability, an obvious teamsmanship in the squad and a general feeling of confidence at the club and among the supporters.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 3:58pm