Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: lukeo, March 22, 2015, 6:42am
Tue 24 Mar     Dover Athletic      0v1     Grimsby Town                         
Sat 28 Mar     Macclesfield Town 1v1 Bristol Rovers                    
Sat 28 Mar     Alfreton Town 1v3 Barnet                    
Sat 28 Mar     Welling United  1v2 Grimsby Town     

TABLE: (all teams played 41 games)

1st Barnet 81 ponts (+43 goal difference)
2nd Grimsby 78 points (+30 goal difference)
3rd Bristol R 78 points (+23 goal difference)

Looking at Barnet's fixture's after the above date i genuinely can't see them dropping many if any points. They've got the easiest run in for me :(
Posted by: chaos33, March 22, 2015, 6:52am; Reply: 1
Agree
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, March 22, 2015, 7:04am; Reply: 2
Yep no doubt about it it's Barnets's to lose that big win yesterday will have given them a real boost but the Easter fixtures have a funny way of mixing things up, teams are battling to stay up as well as promotion/playoff battles. All we can do is concentrate on trying to win every game. All focus is now on the Dover match (wish it was a bit closer) but we must win our game in hand to close that gap.
Posted by: thevera, March 22, 2015, 7:44am; Reply: 3
Quoted from lukeo
Tue 24 Mar     Dover Athletic      0v1     Grimsby Town                         
Sat 28 Mar     Macclesfield Town 1v1 Bristol Rovers                    
Sat 28 Mar     Alfreton Town 1v3 Barnet                    
Sat 28 Mar     Welling United  1v2 Grimsby Town     

TABLE: (all teams played 41 games)

1st Barnet 81 ponts (+43 goal difference)
2nd Grimsby 78 points (+30 goal difference)
3rd Bristol R 78 points (+23 goal difference)

Looking at Barnet's fixture's after the above date i genuinely can't see them dropping many if any points. They've got the easiest run in for me :(

If that was correct come 5pm next Saturday we would need Barnet to not win at least two of their remaining games as their much better goal difference is worth a point. And that assumes we win all of ours. So yes it looks like Barnet will have to gift it to us but you never know football's a funny game Saint..
Posted by: cmackenzie4, March 22, 2015, 8:20am; Reply: 4
No games are easy, the pressure will be on Barnet, especially if we keep winning, If we get 3 points at Dover and win Saturday this will put us in a great posistion especially if Bristol/Barnet lose or draw, Lets hope we get 6 points Bristol draw and Barnet lose. ;)
Posted by: TAGG, March 22, 2015, 8:54am; Reply: 5

Tue 24 Mar     Dover Athletic 1-3   Grimsby Town                        
Sat 28 Mar     Macclesfield Town 2-0 Bristol Rovers                    
Sat 28 Mar     Alfreton Town 1-0 Barnet                    
Sat 28 Mar     Welling United 0-3 Grimsby Town    
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 22, 2015, 10:01am; Reply: 6
There might be a sting in the tail for Barnet,

Our old friends Gateshead might just beat them in the last game of the season,

So they still have to lose another game before that.

For us to finish top,

Akinde to be sent off at Alfreton in 2nd minute ?
Posted by: AdamHaddock, March 22, 2015, 12:12pm; Reply: 7
Soon Bownit play Nuneaton who picked up that surprise win an Macc yesterday. They also have to play Halifax who held them to a surprise draw last week.

Straw clutching

Dover 1-2 Town

Alfreton 1-1 Barnet
Macc 3-1 Brizzle
Welling 0-1 Town
Posted by: mariner91, March 22, 2015, 12:25pm; Reply: 8
Alfreton are on a decent run of form, it's not a certainty that Barnet will win. Right now they are favourites but they've not looked brilliant when they've played us. All we need is a bit of luck, maybe an injury or suspension to Akinde or some bad refereeing to go against them and things could swing our way. Just need to keep doing our bit.
Posted by: Paris Mariner, March 22, 2015, 12:38pm; Reply: 9
Let's just concentrate on getting past Dover Athletic. It's a cliché but "one game at a time" is really important at this stage. We're still relying on other results so we should all try and just keep our feet on the ground. We all know what happened at Chester.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, March 22, 2015, 1:07pm; Reply: 10
this league is unpredictable, as Macclesfield found out yesterday.

Would be very surprised if us Barnet and Rovers didnt lose at least 1 game each in the last fixtures
Posted by: LondonMariner43, March 22, 2015, 1:48pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
this league is unpredictable, as Macclesfield found out yesterday.

Would be very surprised if us Barnet and Rovers didnt lose at least 1 game each in the last fixtures

Though on that theory we will lose one too....its a bit like England v France yesterday in rugby.  Every time England added a few points, France got some back.  We are closing the gap but we may run out of games.
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 22, 2015, 3:39pm; Reply: 12
Until its mathematical certain we can not win the league,

I am hoping we win every game and finish top.
Posted by: oldun, March 22, 2015, 4:41pm; Reply: 13
Just on Barnet, I notice they got another penalty yesterday. They seem top get one every other game.
Posted by: Teestogreen, March 22, 2015, 9:05pm; Reply: 14
We need to know how much travelling the players are expected to do for the next two games. I would expect that Town players would stay in the Dover area on Tuesday night and, given how important these next two games are, train somewhere in the Kent area for the next three days in preparation for the Welling game on Saturday.

If the players have to travel up and down the country twice this week, Welling may shock us.  
Posted by: SamTheMariner, March 22, 2015, 9:10pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from grimsby pete
There might be a sting in the tail for Barnet,

Our old friends Gateshead might just beat them in the last game of the season,

So they still have to lose another game before that.

For us to finish top,

Akinde to be sent off at Alfreton in 2nd minute ?

Disagree I can see Gateshead doing for us. On the promotion calculator I've got them to beat us and them to lose to Barnet. I hope I'm wrong bit It's easily foreseeable.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 22, 2015, 11:11pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Teestogreen
We need to know how much travelling the players are expected to do for the next two games. I would expect that Town players would stay in the Dover area on Tuesday night and, given how important these next two games are, train somewhere in the Kent area for the next three days in preparation for the Welling game on Saturday.

If the players have to travel up and down the country twice this week, Welling may shock us.  

I'm sure if it came to it, plenty of us London area Mariners would happily put players up if it was a question of the club not being able to afford hotels.

The missus can sleep in the girls' room, I'll have the sofa, Lennie can have our bed and little Jack can have the box room.  ;)

(I actually mean that too).
Posted by: mike_d, March 23, 2015, 2:50pm; Reply: 17
Thing is, Barnet seem to have teams who will be in relegation battles, or vying for the playoffs - ie teams with something to play for. We, and Bristol Rovers, have more mid-table teams to play..
Posted by: horsforthmariner, March 23, 2015, 2:56pm; Reply: 18
Barnet's last three are Kiddy, Halifax and Gateshead -  none of those are particularly easy games.
Posted by: Trawler, March 23, 2015, 3:24pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from mike_d
Thing is, Barnet seem to have teams who will be in relegation battles, or vying for the playoffs - ie teams with something to play for. We, and Bristol Rovers, have more mid-table teams to play..

I don't agree. The teams we're playing save for Wrexham aren't really mid table fodder.

Dover 10th - have 3 wins on the bounce and aren't out of the playoff hunt yet. Win 2 games in hand and they are 4 points off play offs. Bit like us hoping to win tomorrow and being 3 behind Barnet.

Welling 21st - are the first team in the drop zone.  They'll be playing for conference survival on Saturday. Trailing safety (Alfreton) by 5 points.

Gateshead 9th - win 2 games in hand and they are level on points with FGR in the last play off position. All to play for.

Alfreton - 20th. Above the drop by 5 points. Only one place above the bottom 4. If Welling go on a run they are at risk of getting dragged into it.

Southport - 19th Above the drop by 7 points. Only two places above the bottom 4.  They will be keeping a worried eye on Welling and Alfreton.

Aldershot - 18th Above the drop by 8 points but have played one more game than the teams in 19th, 20th and 21st.

There's a lot still to play for

Posted by: pizzzza, March 23, 2015, 4:01pm; Reply: 20
Look, I can almost guarantee that none of Barnet, Bristol Rovers or us will win all our remaining fixtures. Points will be dropped thats for sure. It will just be a case of who can capitalise.

Its will be a rollercoaster so just tighten your belt and enjoy the ride!  :)
Posted by: BIGChris, March 23, 2015, 4:06pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from pizzzza
Look, I can almost guarantee that none of Barnet, Bristol Rovers or us will win all our remaining fixtures. Points will be dropped thats for sure. It will just be a case of who can capitalise.

Its will be a rollercoaster so just tighten your belt and enjoy the ride!  :)

Absolutely!
Posted by: excusebeef, March 23, 2015, 4:19pm; Reply: 22
Halifax key for me. They have playoff spot to chase. Do Barnet not have to play Halifax yet?
Posted by: cmackenzie4, March 23, 2015, 5:41pm; Reply: 23
If we get 2 big wins with a hatful of goals,  Barnet lose and Bristol draw we could be top Saturday  I know it's a massive ask but it could be done, 4.0 tomorrow night and 6.0 Saturday.  8)

I can dream can't i?  ;D
Posted by: acko338, March 23, 2015, 6:27pm; Reply: 24
We need three teams to each draw against Brizzle and Barnet - need both to drop 6 points, not by losses necessarily, but by draws against teams who give 110% for play off places, or struggling against relegation.

We also need to win all of the remaining cup final games, as each one now seems !!

....... and.....3 honest strikers now equally vying for 2 places - love it !!
Posted by: immariner, March 23, 2015, 8:22pm; Reply: 25
Not gonna make a prediction as it's impossible to call. Seems most have gone for what they would like, not what they think will happen, which doesn't need anyone to type anything. We all know what that is.

*Cliché alert*

We have 8 cup finals. We can win them all, individually, it's when you start thinking about them as a whole that things start to unravel and the task seems a lot less likely and confidence judders. The players aren't allowed to think like that. They go over the white line at Dover and they try and score more than the opposition. Then, and only then, they think about Welling and how they can do it to them. We, as supporters should be the same. Support them in the moment as best we can. Then move on to the next game..
Posted by: mimma, March 23, 2015, 8:52pm; Reply: 26
I think that Barnet are a different team without Akinde. If he gets injured or suspended, I can't see them winning many without him.

Posted by: Abdul19, March 23, 2015, 9:51pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from immariner
Not gonna make a prediction as it's impossible to call. Seems most have gone for what they would like, not what they think will happen, which doesn't need anyone to type anything. We all know what that is.

*Cliché alert*

We have 8 cup finals. We can win them all, individually, it's when you start thinking about them as a whole that things start to unravel and the task seems a lot less likely and confidence judders. The players aren't allowed to think like that. They go over the white line at Dover and they try and score more than the opposition. Then, and only then, they think about Welling and how they can do it to them. We, as supporters should be the same. Support them in the moment as best we can. Then move on to the next game..

It may be a cliché but it's spot on!

Attempting to guess form in 3 weeks time is a complete waste of time really (although I have plenty of time to waste!)
Posted by: Teestogreen, March 25, 2015, 7:16pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I'm sure if it came to it, plenty of us London area Mariners would happily put players up if it was a question of the club not being able to afford hotels.

The missus can sleep in the girls' room, I'll have the sofa, Lennie can have our bed and little Jack can have the box room.  ;)

(I actually mean that too).

So presumably, Town are staying in the Kent / London area preparing for the Welling game - a massive game. Given that many people have said how many Town players were below their best at Dover (a brilliant victory given the performances of the players - we're told), the worst preparation would be to travel back to Grimsby and then travel back again to Welling. I just hope we don't underestimate Welling - (I saw them on BT Sport as well a couple of weeks ago and they weren't very good but you never know - Telford seem to have improved all of a sudden, as Braintree found out)

Posted by: Abdul19, March 25, 2015, 7:46pm; Reply: 29
I'd be shocked if they are
Posted by: Teestogreen, March 25, 2015, 9:39pm; Reply: 30
In that case, it's a big ask to get these players to produce another victory - special case this (2 consecutive away games in half a week in the same area miles from base)  - look after them and they'll perform?

Hopefully, Town player nucleus (Clay and Disley) are superhuman and the team win 7-0 to cut down the goals difference on Barnet.

UTM  
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, March 25, 2015, 11:58pm; Reply: 31

Bristol Rovers Board today (Wed(:

There is now acceptance that we are also in the title race now.  

"The race for the top spot is now between us, Barnet and Grimsby with Macclesfield the outsider. If we don't get the right result on Saturday, it becomes a 4 horse race all the way to the finishing line. None of our remaining fixtures are easy, but we must go into each game with high hopes. Its now or never for the final 6 games".
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, March 26, 2015, 12:04am; Reply: 32
Other comments yesterday from Rovers fans that are complimentary to Town (and recognize our threat to them):

"Grimsby's away record is better than their home record. Pretty impressive to pick up 39 points from 20 games on their travels".

"I said in another thread that I felt Grimsby were the threat team for top spot.  They seem to have hit form since we beat them".
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 5:17am