Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: 75 (Guest), March 17, 2015, 12:03pm
Okay, I like many of you believe Paul Hurst got it wrong on Saturday and it almost certainly cost us two massive points. But, all is not lost. I say we draw a line under it, PH probably knows himself, he can't come out publically and admit it but let's hope he's learned a valuable lesson. On paper, the substitution he made was reasonable, to shore it up and see the game out.

We can still do it, we need to stick together, to get behind the players and see where it takes us. I suspect it will be the play offs but there's always that chance. And if we have to take part in the play offs, let the momentum take us to Wembley and back into the football league!

UTM
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, March 17, 2015, 12:07pm; Reply: 1
Good call. We are where we are, so let's keep supporting, as we have done and see where we can go.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, March 17, 2015, 12:10pm; Reply: 2
Halifax win tonight and then we win Saturday we will back in the mix again, it's too early to right us off for top spot yet!
Posted by: 75 (Guest), March 17, 2015, 12:12pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from cmackenzie4
Halifax win tonight and then we win Saturday we will back in the mix again, it's too early to right us off for top spot yet!

Too right mate, it's the old cliche of one game at a time and see what happens. Realistically, with us losing 9 games already it does seem a long shot though - so we've nothing to lose!
Posted by: jonnyboy82, March 17, 2015, 12:16pm; Reply: 4
Yep time to leave it now..

Hope he learns from his mistake and time to move on.
Posted by: ska face, March 17, 2015, 12:22pm; Reply: 5
Good post Vicar, what's done is done & and the time for moaning should've been over by Sunday morning.

Fully focused on handing Eastleigh their arses on Saturday now, hopefully the players are too.

Onwards and upwards.
Posted by: Caesar, March 17, 2015, 12:50pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from ska face
Good post Vicar, what's done is done & and the time for moaning should've been over by Sunday morning.

Fully focused on handing Eastleigh their arses on Saturday now, hopefully the players are too.

Onwards and upwards.

Hmm think we are allowed to moan a little longer than that!

However have to agree, move on now and get prepared, another huge weekend coming up!
Posted by: RoboCod, March 17, 2015, 12:59pm; Reply: 7
So...no Magnay in the hot seat by this weekend then ?(whistling)
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 17, 2015, 1:08pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from 75

Too right mate, it's the old cliche of one game at a time and see what happens. Realistically, with us losing 9 games already it does seem a long shot though - so we've nothing to lose!

I always think back to the stats when we won Division 3 under George Kerr.... W 26 D 10 L 10

Whether that would be good enough to secure 1st place as it did all those years ago who knows, but it could just happen this season too... :)
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, March 17, 2015, 1:40pm; Reply: 9
Defeats cannot be taken out of context, and are linked to the performances of other teams' records.

9 or 10 defeats does not seem exceptional for promotion.  A quick look at the 2013-14 season in Division 2.  Scunthorpe got promoted automatically with 5 defeats, whilst Rochdale got promoted  automatically with 13 defeats.  (Both teams had 81 points).  I know 3 teams go up.  The champions only had 84 points.  

Scunthorpe also went up with more draws than wins.

In our Division, there is usually a standout team, or Wrexham finishing 2nd with 99 points as well. Their number of wins increases, with more defeats for other teams. This season it is more even at the top.
Posted by: Hagrid, March 17, 2015, 1:47pm; Reply: 10
good post vicar, I hope Hurst knows what he did wrong and we get back on track on saturday
Posted by: diehardmariner, March 17, 2015, 1:59pm; Reply: 11
Well said everyone above!

The league won't be won/lost based on Saturday's collapse.  It'll be won/lost based on how we react, starting this Saturday against Eastleigh.

In the long run throwing away a 2-0 lead could do us a favour as it proves we can't afford complacency at any point.

Onto another winning run!
Posted by: oldun, March 17, 2015, 2:11pm; Reply: 12
2 wins and 1 loss is always better than 3 unbeaten draws....fact
Posted by: GYinScuntland, March 17, 2015, 4:30pm; Reply: 13
Saturday was a pisser but there again so were other games and promotion's not achieved on one result, it's the whole season that counts.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, March 17, 2015, 4:52pm; Reply: 14
Well it is all about the home game against Eastleigh now as far as I'm concerned we need to bounce back still very doable.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, March 17, 2015, 5:06pm; Reply: 15
At least we are still on an unbeaten run - which has a lot of wins rather than draws.    
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 17, 2015, 5:14pm; Reply: 16
Agree onwards and upwards,

Lets all get behind the manager and see what the end of the season brings.

Up the Mariners !!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: buckstown, March 17, 2015, 5:15pm; Reply: 17
I thought this would be a sensible thing to do at 5:00 pm Saturday given that we're 4 wins and a draw from 5. Still it wouldn't be the Fishy if we didn't have three days of bile and venom, sack the manager he drew a game, what a complete to$$er.
Posted by: Caesar, March 17, 2015, 5:49pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from buckstown
I thought this would be a sensible thing to do at 5:00 pm Saturday given that we're 4 wins and a draw from 5. Still it wouldn't be the Fishy if we didn't have three days of bile and venom, sack the manager he drew a game, what a complete to$$er.

Don't know why there seem to be a few posters who seem to think that there should never be any criticism of anything.  I am sorry but seeing Town surrender a 2 goal lead does not effect me for just 15 minutes, it took me an entire journey, much beer and a lot of moaning to get to draw a line under it.

Either way surely there is no need to bring that up on a thread entitled "Draw a line under it now" with everyone pretty much agreeing to move on!
Posted by: ska face, March 17, 2015, 7:19pm; Reply: 19
I usually give it until Saturday Kitchen's Best Bites on the Sunday. If I'm still FEWMING after watching Kieth Floyd then I know it'll require some liquid happiness and I'll go to the pub for a few hours.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, March 17, 2015, 8:33pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from 75
Okay, I like many of you believe Paul Hurst got it wrong on Saturday and it almost certainly cost us two massive points. But, all is not lost. I say we draw a line under it, PH probably knows himself, he can't come out publically and admit it but let's hope he's learned a valuable lesson. On paper, the substitution he made was reasonable, to shore it up and see the game out.

We can still do it, we need to stick together, to get behind the players and see where it takes us. I suspect it will be the play offs but there's always that chance. And if we have to take part in the play offs, let the momentum take us to Wembley and back into the football league!

UTM

Fine sentiment with which I agree. However, the only problem is a post like that invites the more sanctimonious to start the 'we're still on our run, don't have a go, shouldn't have a negative opinion' drivel.

Of course, we're all allowed a flipping opinion - it's a flipping forum which would be flipping dull if we all sang from the same flipping hymn sheet!
Posted by: 75 (Guest), March 17, 2015, 8:36pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Fine sentiment with which I agree. However, the only problem is a post like that invites the more sanctimonious to start the 'we're still on our run, don't have a go, shouldn't have a negative opinion' drivel.

Of course, we're all allowed a flipping opinion - it's a flipping forum which would be flipping dull if we all sang from the same flipping hymn sheet!

Agree 100%, I don't feel comfortable with people being shouted down on here for having an opinion. All part of the PR spin from BP Towers IMO but I was just going on my own feelings from Saturday, I've been an utter illegitimate to live with since that equaliser went in on Saturday and I thought it was better if I drew a line under it for the poor wifes sake. Three days sulking is enough I reckon!
Posted by: MuddyWaters, March 17, 2015, 8:39pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from 75

Agree 100%, I don't feel comfortable with people being shouted down on here for having an opinion. All part of the PR spin from BP Towers IMO but I was just going on my own feelings from Saturday, I've been an utter illegitimate to live with since that equaliser went in on Saturday and I thought it was better if I drew a line under it for the poor wifes sake. Three days sulking is enough I reckon!

Three days? I'll be sulking for three months if we miss out again!
Posted by: Fcukthescunts, March 17, 2015, 9:08pm; Reply: 23
Great OP BP Vicar. Chester game is in the past it's all about Saturdays game. 24 points for us still to play for before the prizes are given out.
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, March 17, 2015, 9:48pm; Reply: 24
Venting is good and it's a game of opinions.  Let's all get behind the team now for Eastleigh.

Tonight's results show there's a lot of life left in this title race yet!
Posted by: ginnywings, March 17, 2015, 9:49pm; Reply: 25
At least Barnet didn't punish us too much again tonight. Bet their fans are just as gutted with the late loss of 2 points. They are still catch-able inside 2 games
Posted by: 75 (Guest), March 17, 2015, 9:58pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from ginnywings
At least Barnet didn't punish us too much again tonight. Bet their fans are just as gutted with the late loss of 2 points. They are still catch-able inside 2 games

Reading the sky report it seems Barnet had most of the game too so we've got to be pleased with that. Loads logged onto the fishy shows what an important gave that was to us. UTM.
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 17, 2015, 10:01pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from ginnywings

Know the feeling......... ;)

Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 17, 2015, 10:27pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

I always think back to the stats when we won Division 3 under George Kerr.... W 26 D 10 L 10

Whether that would be good enough to secure 1st place as it did all those years ago who knows, but it could just happen this season too... :)

Only 2 points for a win then so drawing wasn't so bad relative to winning.
Posted by: Maringer, March 17, 2015, 10:29pm; Reply: 29
Looks like that clueless pillock Allen substituted Akinde for a defender just before the goal as well!  ;)

Yeah, I realise he just came on to replace the defender who received the red card.  :P
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 17, 2015, 10:33pm; Reply: 30
Draw a line under what Vicar? What do we have to forget?  ;)

Good call sir. Got it out of the system now. Didn't Our Lord Himself rise again on the 3rd day? (Yeah I know that would have been Monday but we are Grimsby after all).
Posted by: 75 (Guest), March 18, 2015, 6:11am; Reply: 31
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Didn't Our Lord Himself rise again on the 3rd day? (Yeah I know that would have been Monday but we are Grimsby after all).

Nope, it's all a load of crap. I'm only a vicar for the collection tray and the 'church roof fund'. Hic.

Posted by: lukeo, March 18, 2015, 7:23am; Reply: 32
I just fell out of bed! Padge, good words my friend. If Padge can believe we all can!
Posted by: DickBarton, March 18, 2015, 8:14am; Reply: 33
Come on you mighty Mariners!!!!!!
Posted by: big al, March 18, 2015, 8:20am; Reply: 34
Town have nothing to lose now. We're in a better position than any of the top six apart from Rovers and Barnet and the pressure is on them big time. No easy games or run ins for anyone and results not at all predictable as some of those last night proved. No teams to fear. We might still do it. If we don't, we'll win at Wembley.
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 18, 2015, 5:45pm; Reply: 35
Its better to come on here and vent your frustration,

Than keep it in until the next game and take it out at the manager/.players,

We have all got over now so we can cheer Paul and the players on against Eastleigh. :)
Posted by: kingster72, March 18, 2015, 8:33pm; Reply: 36
The line will be drawn under this when PH apologises & learns from his errors (not gonna happen) and then when he gets us promotion (hope its gonna happen).  No credit should go to Hurst and Fentyshould we get back in L2, Hurst is inept and Fenty got us in this mess in the 1st place!
Posted by: cmackenzie4, March 18, 2015, 8:37pm; Reply: 37
So if Paul Hurst gets us promoted to league two you are saying he would not deserve credit for that ? (confused1)
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, March 18, 2015, 9:00pm; Reply: 38
Whether he apologises or not, it does not change the original decision made. Most fans could see the likely consequences of the original error - Hurst could not.  
Posted by: barralad, March 18, 2015, 9:02pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Whether he apologises or not, it does not change the original decision made. Most fans could see the likely consequences of the original error - Hurst could not.  

So we aren't drawing a line under it then....*sigh*
Posted by: chaos33, March 18, 2015, 9:04pm; Reply: 40
Was just thinking the same. Some irony in this thread staying live.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), March 18, 2015, 9:05pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from lukeo
I just fell out of bed! Padge, good words my friend. If Padge can believe we all can!

I admit to a smidgen if cynicism born of 13 years of underachievement, relegations, play off failures and general shite but I think this set of lads deserve our full support. They aren't the most talented of Town players I've ever seen but to a man, they give everything. That's all any fan can ask.
Posted by: BIGChris, March 19, 2015, 3:44pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from 75

I admit to a smidgen if cynicism born of 13 years of underachievement, relegations, play off failures and general shite but I think this set of lads deserve our full support. They aren't the most talented of Town players I've ever seen but to a man, they give everything. That's all any fan can ask.

Hallelujah my child!
Posted by: big al, March 19, 2015, 3:53pm; Reply: 43
I think a new thread is long overdue where we discuss drawing a line under the 'draw a line under it now' thread.
Posted by: rancido, March 19, 2015, 4:00pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from barralad

So we aren't drawing a line under it then....*sigh*

Sorry to say that some will never "draw a line under it " - they want their pound of flesh ( and more besides ). Unfortunately some people can't move on - the world changes around them but they are static , living in the past.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 6:42am