Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: psgmariner, March 12, 2015, 10:15am
Not sure how reliable the source is but this is quite revealing:

http://www.celebritiesmoney.com/portsmouth-fc-squad-salary/

Really wish I had concentrated on becoming a lower league footballer rather than going to uni :o
Posted by: RoboCod, March 12, 2015, 10:53am; Reply: 1
Who's Nicky Shorey ???? Some kind of superhuman, all action marauding defender who single handedly has fired Pompey up to the top spot in the division?
That's what I'd expect for those wages anyway :-/
Posted by: BIGChris, March 12, 2015, 11:05am; Reply: 2
Whenever i see them on The FL review program their most effective player is Jed Wallace who is on, according to that , less than £600pw.

No idea if that is accurate but it is crazy crazy money  despite their very good gates for 4th tier
Posted by: pizzzza, March 12, 2015, 11:22am; Reply: 3
Quoted from RoboCod
Who's Nicky Shorey ???? Some kind of superhuman, all action marauding defender who single handedly has fired Pompey up to the top spot in the division?
That's what I'd expect for those wages anyway :-/

Isn't he the ex-Villa player? Sure he played for England too, how the mighty have fallen.....
Posted by: diehardmariner, March 12, 2015, 11:35am; Reply: 4
Quoted from BIGChris
Whenever i see them on The FL review program their most effective player is Jed Wallace who is on, according to that , less than £600pw.

No idea if that is accurate but it is crazy crazy money  despite their very good gates for 4th tier

Wallace has been in demand from League One/Championship clubs for a year or two.  He signed a new three-year deal last summer and is very much regarded as their diamond in the rough.  Can't imagine he would have signed a relatively poorly paid deal compared to some of the other contracts on that list.

Also Matt Tubbs looks a bit low.  I know he had his contract terminated at Bournemouth in January so arguably had a decent pay-off but whilst at Dean Court he was rumoured to be taking home a five-figure weekly wage.  That's taking home, not pre-tax.  

Staggering figures from both Portsmouth and Bournemouth.  They could both be complete rubbish but neither club can surely afford those wages on their own footing.  Even scarier is the shocking financial pasts of both clubs.
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 12, 2015, 11:43am; Reply: 5
Nicky Shorey, 2 England Caps according to wiki.

Can't remember that for the life of me!
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, March 12, 2015, 11:56am; Reply: 6
Quoted from Les Brechin
Nicky Shorey, 2 England Caps according to wiki.

Can't remember that for the life of me!

Whilst he had his one good season at Reading Les
Posted by: Chrisblor, March 12, 2015, 12:00pm; Reply: 7
I was at Accrington v Portsmouth on Saturday. Jed Wallace was absolutely awful (but he still is their best player by miles this season). On the other hand, Rob Atkinson had a decent game for Stanley, especially since they had to see the last half hour out with 10 men.

Looking at those supposed wage figures, i'd be astonished if Adam Webster is on anything close to £2.5k a week. He's still quite young, was on loan at Aldershot last season and hasn't really broke into their first team this year.
Posted by: Abdul19, March 12, 2015, 12:19pm; Reply: 8
Agree with dhm about Tubbs. Bournemouth paid £700k for him so would've thought he'd be on more.

Shorey was decent in Reading first Premier League season (and I'm guessing Cole and Bridge were injured). 34 now so not really a case of the mighty falling.

Of course these figures could be a load of nonsense.
Posted by: RichMariner, March 12, 2015, 1:17pm; Reply: 9
How much is Town's top earner on, do you reckon?

£800 a week? Maybe pushing a grand?
Posted by: biggles9999, March 12, 2015, 3:34pm; Reply: 10
The same page links to the wages for Liverpool players...

Henderson is listed at being 200k a week and Gerrard at 65k. I think its fair to say it isnt the most reliable website going.
Posted by: jock dock tower, March 12, 2015, 4:45pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Chrisblor
I was at Accrington v Portsmouth on Saturday. Jed Wallace was absolutely awful (but he still is their best player by miles this season). On the other hand, Rob Atkinson had a decent game for Stanley, especially since they had to see the last half hour out with 10 men.

Looking at those supposed wage figures, i'd be astonished if Adam Webster is on anything close to £2.5k a week. He's still quite young, was on loan at Aldershot last season and hasn't really broke into their first team this year.

I was also there, and believe me, there's not one of the Pompey players that's worth anything like the kind of wages they're supposedly getting.

Was there because I'd organised a programme fair at the Stanley Social Club on the Sunday, which turned out to be a very good event raising a few hundred pounds for their Supporters Club.

In the Crown before the game, having a pint or three of the superb Old Golden Hen, and the place was mobbed with Pompey fans, and it was all very good natured.

Best laugh of the day was seeing the Stanley catering establishment at the back of the stand. It wasn't in house, but was serviced by the outside catering of Burnley FC, who had a big blue and purple van parked outside with all their services being highlighted along the side. On the back door was the funniest thing I've ever seen on any van "Please note, there are no pies kept in this van overnight" Priceless!

Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, March 12, 2015, 4:55pm; Reply: 12
Excellent pub the Crown
Print page generated: April 23, 2024, 6:11pm