Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, March 12, 2015, 2:55am
Can someone give me a definitive answer as to when Town as we know them , in whatever name , were formed as there seems to be some confusion between the dates on merchandise like books , t shirts etc on eBay ?
I've always been in the 1878 camp btw .
Posted by: mighty_mariners, March 12, 2015, 4:27am; Reply: 1
Formed in 1878 as Grimsby Pelham but changed a year later to Grimsby Town.

[url]http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/article/brief-history-277157.aspx[/url]
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 12, 2015, 11:22am; Reply: 2
1878 defo I was in the Wellington pub when they set it up. :B
Posted by: rancido, March 12, 2015, 11:27am; Reply: 3
Quoted from grimsby pete
1878 defo I was in the Wellington pub when they set it up. :B

I know that to be a fact because I saw you there !  
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 12, 2015, 11:28am; Reply: 4
Quoted from rancido

I know that to be a fact because I saw you there !  

You old git(wheelchair) ;D
Posted by: rancido, March 12, 2015, 11:32am; Reply: 5
Quoted from grimsby pete

You old git(wheelchair) ;D

That's knocked me down because my doctor said  that I looked good for my age ! :-/
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 12, 2015, 12:05pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from rancido

That's knocked me down because my doctor said  that I looked good for my age ! :-/

My wife keeps telling me that I am still young,

BECAUSE

She is a few years older than me.

So I will never get old. ;D
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 12, 2015, 1:23pm; Reply: 7
I've got an official GTFC merchandise hoodie type fleece which shows "Grimsby Town 1879" on it

Ever since I got it, I've always wondered whether it's correct but in reality I guess it is right, if we changed from Pelham to Town between 1878 and 1879
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, March 12, 2015, 3:03pm; Reply: 8
^^^ this is exactly what I mean . The club has logos around the club or on books etc that say 1878 , then sell a t shirt in the club shop with 1879 on . Even if the club , or a business for that matter slightly changes it's name , it still sticks with the original date it was established ?

I WANT AND NEED SOME CLARITY !
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 12, 2015, 4:05pm; Reply: 9
I can not believe the club has put 1879 on a official merchandise ,

On seconds thoughts, yes I can.

IT'S 1878 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: Maringer, March 12, 2015, 4:27pm; Reply: 10
Bob Lincoln's book (originally published in 1912) has an interesting take on it:

Quoted Text
Speaking from memory I don't think that any club of note to play a series of matches was formed before 1879. To this day it is a difficult problem to decide which really was the first club, the Pelham, White Star, or the Wanderers. Each has its partizans, but personally I am of opinion that the Pelham should have had the credit. The latter club had its ground just beyond Phelps Street, New Cleethores, the White Star the adjoining field, although they originally played on the sands, whilst the Wanderers disported themselves on a piece of pasture land in the Marsh, near where the Grimsby and District Hospital stands.

Of course I am open to correction, and at this period when I am about commencing to inflict my crude remarks on the game upon my readers who may care to read them, I should like it to be known that it is not my intention to introduce anything of a personal character.

The first game which Lincoln recalls was Pelham vs Louth on 1st November 1879 and he might well remember this as he says he played in the game!  :)
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 6:24pm