Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: AdamHaddock, March 11, 2015, 10:04am
Following the incident with Clarkson allegedly punching a producer, the remainder of the current Topgear series has been scrapped. What do we think? Generally I'm a fan of Clarkson's humour and political incorrectness (and I found the Argentina number plate hilarious) but he does seem to get away with things that others wouldn't. His comments about Hyundai staff  eating dogs among others - yes they make me giggle but are they any better than what Kilroy was sacked for a decade ago? Sometimes in recent years it seems he's making an extra effort to be politically incorrect just to stay relevant.

Now he's been suspended for allegedly punching a producer. Five Live is full of people unhappy about his suspension but what workplaces would you not get sacked from for punching a colleague?
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 11, 2015, 10:26am; Reply: 1
That is an instant dismissal case,

Seeing as he was on his last warning,

He will be sacked,

Then he will go to Sky or some other channel and take half his viewers with him,

It's a shame I love the programme.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, March 11, 2015, 12:02pm; Reply: 2
top gear is the only bbc tv show I watch live now. I just listen to the radio or watch everything on the iplayer.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, March 11, 2015, 12:42pm; Reply: 3
Can't stand the man! I can't watch anything with him in it either. I know who my vote for twit of the week will be for next week. ;)
Posted by: psgmariner, March 11, 2015, 1:19pm; Reply: 4
Don't like him or the Top Gear "banter". I hope they sack him but the BBC makes millions of his presence on the show so perhaps another final warning.

If I had to watch a programme about men and cars it would definitely be Guy Martin not Top Gear. Seems a really nice bloke and that programme about India was really interesting.

Posted by: grimsby pete, March 11, 2015, 1:27pm; Reply: 5
Over 300,000 have signed an online petition to reinstate him.

That's in less than 24 hours.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, March 11, 2015, 1:29pm; Reply: 6
Look at me, look at me, I'm so controversial.

Loathe him, the program and his casual racism.
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 11, 2015, 5:44pm; Reply: 7
500,000 have signed now,

Will the BBC be brave enough to sack him ?
Posted by: Maringer, March 11, 2015, 5:49pm; Reply: 8
Clarkson is the bell-end's bell-end. Can't stand the man and don't understand why anybody would like him.

Top Gear the show is also long past its best before date. When the presenters (Clarkson included) review the flashy and interesting cars properly it is quite entertaining, but the various 'stunts' and journeys overseas have become so dreadfully-scripted and unfunny it is painful to watch them. The problem is that Clarkson and Co think they are funny but they simply aren't and the harder they try, the worse their 'witty dialogue' becomes.

The gushing interviews with celebs are just awful and I the people who actually want to hang around in the audience strike me as particularly pathetic.

I'll sometimes watch parts of the shows on demand (proper car reviews/comparisons), but the rest is just utter bilge.
Posted by: mariner tommy, March 11, 2015, 5:57pm; Reply: 9
Cannot stand the t***, no time for him or any programme he is in.
Good riddance I say.

UTM
Posted by: moosey_club, March 11, 2015, 6:05pm; Reply: 10
Have been a fan of Top Gear down the years and would generally have never missed it, however the last 2/3 series have been slowly deteriorating and some/ most of this series has been like pulling teeth.
Fifth Gear is generally more informative but they have started slipping the stupid items in as well to try and keep up with Top Gear viewing figures i presume.
Posted by: horsforthmariner, March 11, 2015, 6:13pm; Reply: 11
Love Top Gear,

Never cared what he said as frankly what are editors meant to do? it's there fault if something goes out that controversial.

But you can't punch someone and get away with it.

Reckon he will be on Sky in no time with a rip off gear
Posted by: petethemariner, March 11, 2015, 8:31pm; Reply: 12
D'ont care much for Clarkson tbh, bit of a tw@t, but the fact remains that the 'chemistry' between him, May
and Hammond is  what makes the program, which although it has become a bit laboured recently,still has
moments of laugh out loud genius and i  for one will miss it if this is the final nail in its coffin, terrestrial TV
will be much the worse without Top Gear IMO.
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, March 12, 2015, 8:48am; Reply: 13
Channel 5 will buy him and stick him on amongst all their benefits programmes that they like to fill their schedule with. Ideal scheduling really, mixing up banter and hate into two hours plus adverts.
Posted by: Marinerz93, March 15, 2015, 10:48pm; Reply: 14
We all have those moments at work when you are having one of those days and you either lash out verbally, walk away or in rare cases get physical, it's human nature.

What we don't know is how this incident came about and what drove Clarkson, no pun intended, to allegedly punch the other party involved.There will be many factors in this incident and I can't see Clarkson keeping his job now the media circus has got hold of it.

Clarkson for me was funny in his first few series but it all got a bit repetitive and he seemed to try and out do himself digging deeper into that area of dad comments that embarrassed you as a kid. Some like him because he allegedly says what's on most people's mind or too afraid to say.

For me anyone who assaults anyone at work be it customer/client/co-worker needs fair tribunal to look at all the factors involved. When you are responsible for people's well being to do this effectively you need to look at Maslow's Hierarchy of needs.  It sounds like there wasn't a hot meal after a day's filming in the elements and this was the trigger for the incident.

We'll soon know after the hearing.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, March 16, 2015, 4:07pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Marinerz93
We all have those moments at work when you are having one of those days and you either lash out verbally, walk away or in rare cases get physical, it's human nature.

What we don't know is how this incident came about and what drove Clarkson, no pun intended, to allegedly punch the other party involved.There will be many factors in this incident and I can't see Clarkson keeping his job now the media circus has got hold of it.

Clarkson for me was funny in his first few series but it all got a bit repetitive and he seemed to try and out do himself digging deeper into that area of dad comments that embarrassed you as a kid. Some like him because he allegedly says what's on most people's mind or too afraid to say.

For me anyone who assaults anyone at work be it customer/client/co-worker needs fair tribunal to look at all the factors involved. When you are responsible for people's well being to do this effectively you need to look at Maslow's Hierarchy of needs.  It sounds like there wasn't a hot meal after a day's filming in the elements and this was the trigger for the incident.

We'll soon know after the hearing.

He punched a producer as he couldn't get a steak and you want to look at Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs? He's not some down and out trying to find shelter to keep him alive, he's some spoilt millionaire who didn't get what he wanted and threw a tantrum.
Posted by: jock dock tower, March 16, 2015, 4:17pm; Reply: 16
I think the BBC will be left with no alternative but to dismiss.

Already on a final warning and obviously does not have the intelligence to take heed of that because he's part of the Chipping Norton set, and "Dave's pal" Yes, Dave, I hope it gets sorted out quickly and he's sacked pdq.

If the BBC don't dismiss, it gives carte blanche to every BBC employee to do something similar and then quote that it's an accepted practice as evidenced by the Clarkson decision - something they simply can not afford to happen.

He's toast.
Posted by: ginnywings, March 16, 2015, 5:45pm; Reply: 17
He's an arrogant tosser as far as i'm concerned and i'm not into cars either, so i would only watch Top Gear with a gun to my head. Couldn't care less if he disappeared off the face of the Earth.
Posted by: Marinerz93, March 16, 2015, 6:55pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

He punched a producer as he couldn't get a steak and you want to look at Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs? He's not some down and out trying to find shelter to keep him alive, he's some spoilt millionaire who didn't get what he wanted and threw a tantrum.

The first level of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs is air, food, drink, shelter, warmth, sex, sleep regardless of social standing.  You don't know what food was promised or how tired Clarkson was after his day of filming in the elements.  These 'massive talents' as described by David Cameron, live in a world were their requests are met and they get what they want and we the paying public give them enough money for them to expect anything and everything.

The real debate should be the limit on these people's wages and what is standard food allowance.  When I was in the Forces you didn't get much of a choice because the food was rationed to less than what prisoners were allowed.  The company I work for now puts me up in a four star hotel with a £25 food and drink allowance when I am ever doing any training or at meetings.

I'd like to look at the facts when they come out and I'm not a fan of Clarkson. We don't know if he was baited into reacting, some of these producers can be nasty pieces of work just like any other management role.
Posted by: mariner91, March 16, 2015, 8:34pm; Reply: 19
Whatever the situation, unless it is self defence, you can't go around punching people.
Posted by: LH, March 16, 2015, 8:49pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Marinerz93

The first level of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs is air, food, drink, shelter, warmth, sex, sleep regardless of social standing.  You don't know what food was promised or how tired Clarkson was after his day of filming in the elements.  These 'massive talents' as described by David Cameron, live in a world were their requests are met and they get what they want and we the paying public give them enough money for them to expect anything and everything.

The real debate should be the limit on these people's wages and what is standard food allowance.  When I was in the Forces you didn't get much of a choice because the food was rationed to less than what prisoners were allowed.  The company I work for now puts me up in a four star hotel with a £25 food and drink allowance when I am ever doing any training or at meetings.

I'd like to look at the facts when they come out and I'm not a fan of Clarkson. We don't know if he was baited into reacting, some of these producers can be nasty pieces of work just like any other management role.

Haha! Don't get much of a choice? Don't talk daft! Your hotels have dropped a star rather than it being a step up!
Posted by: Marinerz93, March 16, 2015, 9:12pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from LH

Haha! Don't get much of a choice? Don't talk daft! Your hotels have dropped a star rather than it being a step up!

You forget Leon, I used to do the power and lighting for the chef's, they turn dog meat in Michelin star quality, they should be called miracle workers  ;)

Come back after you've eaten some of that compo sausage they dish out after the sausage with lips and cheeks has run out  ;D
Posted by: LH, March 16, 2015, 9:20pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Marinerz93

You forget Leon, I used to do the power and lighting for the chef's, they turn dog meat in Michelin star quality, they should be called miracle workers  ;)

Come back after you've eaten some of that compo sausage they dish out after the sausage with lips and cheeks has run out  ;D

I've eaten various animals unwittingly after the pongo chefs trusted a Kenyan local to do the meat order. The horsemeat scandal didn't scare me - put it that way.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, March 16, 2015, 9:41pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Marinerz93

I know what Maslow's hierarchy is and the idea behind that bottom tier is those are the things essential to life. So if you are starving or freezing you won't care about anything else. It has no relevance to a fat millionaire wanting a steak rather than a sandwich. If I hit somebody at work because I wasn't happy with the food they offered me then I'd get sacked. As for what you think the argument should be about - it isn't. It's about if he should be sacked for hitting someone because he wanted a steak.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, March 17, 2015, 1:32am; Reply: 24
I think football is a very good comparison. What if Liam Hearn had punched a fellow player around the 20 goal mark in his first season...would we be so judgmental? Would we want to get rid of him? What if Jeremy Clarkson had punched the Richard Brodie of BBC Producers?

Posted by: barralad, March 17, 2015, 7:42pm; Reply: 25
What I find sad (I cannot stand the man or his programme) is that over half a million people have signed the petition to keep him-a figure that dwarfs campaigns to ban female genital mutilation, save forests from privatisation etc. etc.
Posted by: itsnotcoditshaddock, March 17, 2015, 8:23pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from psgmariner
Don't like him or the Top Gear "banter". I hope they sack him but the BBC makes millions of his presence on the show so perhaps another final warning.

If I had to watch a programme about men and cars it would definitely be Guy Martin not Top Gear. Seems a really nice bloke and that programme about India was really interesting.

I've been told from a few people that have met Guy Martin that he's actually a bit of an bottom off camera.
Posted by: chaos33, March 17, 2015, 8:59pm; Reply: 27
May I strongly recommend watching this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7CnMQ4L9Pc

It sums up the way I feel perfectly.
Posted by: ginnywings, March 17, 2015, 11:06pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from chaos33

;D Beautifully done.
Posted by: mariner91, March 17, 2015, 11:09pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from chaos33

Mr Lee's finest work.
Posted by: Marinerz93, March 18, 2015, 5:22pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

I know what Maslow's hierarchy is and the idea behind that bottom tier is those are the things essential to life. So if you are starving or freezing you won't care about anything else. It has no relevance to a fat millionaire wanting a steak rather than a sandwich. If I hit somebody at work because I wasn't happy with the food they offered me then I'd get sacked. As for what you think the argument should be about - it isn't. It's about if he should be sacked for hitting someone because he wanted a steak.

Again, we don't know if Clarkson was antagonised into allegedly punching the producer which, is the main point I was trying to raise.  The fact that Clarkson is a fat millionaire as you describe has no bearing because someone who had been working in the elements didn't have a warm meal whether it be steak or fish and chips is a factor in their mental state.

If it is the case that Clarkson punched the producer because he didn't get steak taking out any underlining reasons then I fully agree he should be shown the door.

It seems to me that certain high profile male figures have an open season on them and without all the facts, it's one of the biggest band wagons we've seen rolling around this year.
Posted by: Marinerz93, March 18, 2015, 5:24pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from LH

I've eaten various animals unwittingly after the pongo chefs trusted a Kenyan local to do the meat order. The horsemeat scandal didn't scare me - put it that way.

Typical Liney, dropping exotic locations,  ;D

I was hoping you'd come back with 'you've eaten worse pie from a Bop night'  ;)
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 18, 2015, 5:30pm; Reply: 32
We have only heard half the story,

It will be interesting to find out what did happen,

Clarkeson reported the incident himself the other guy did not,

Clarkeson denies punching him but there was a scuffle,

They had been filming all day and were late for dinner and the kitchen staff had gone home,

If I had been working all day I would want a hot meal,

It will all come out in the wash as they say,

Nearly 1 million have signed for him to be reinstated now.
Posted by: LH, March 18, 2015, 7:32pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Marinerz93

Typical Liney, dropping exotic locations,  ;D

I was hoping you'd come back with 'you've eaten worse pie from a Bop night'  ;)

Not for me. The fat content in the "pies" at the bop is too high.
Posted by: Marinerz93, March 18, 2015, 9:38pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from LH

Not for me. The fat content in the "pies" at the bop is too high.

;D

That's more like it Leon  ;D
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, March 19, 2015, 2:39pm; Reply: 35
Clarkson has slipped down the food chain.
Posted by: 139881 (Guest), July 2, 2016, 3:00pm; Reply: 36
Apparently things have gone from bad to worse for Chris Evans as now even his co-workers want him out!
I watched the first episode of this 'Top Gear' with the new cast but it was rubbish and haven't seen another episode since. It was very cringe to watch as the new lot tried an on-screen camaraderie as if they'd been friends for years unlike the original 3 who have been for many years
I look forward to Clarkson's new show: The Grand Tour (clap)
Posted by: Maringer, July 2, 2016, 10:38pm; Reply: 37
Top Gear has been too crap to watch for some years now. Clarkson and Co were just shite in the few episodes I saw from the last few series. Tedious dialogue, rubbish 'stunts' and especially terrible jokes. The shark was well and truly jumped in my opinion. Some of the earlier stuff from years ago was entertaining, but I think Clarkson began to believe his own hype too much and his two toadies didn't offer anything interesting. Does anybody really think it's funny to watch middle-aged pretend to accidentally crash caravans any more?

That said, I've not watched a single second of this series. If it's worse than the stuff from the past few years, it must be truly dreadful.
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 9:54am