Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: jock dock tower, March 10, 2015, 7:32pm
The classiest player I've ever had the pleasure to watch at Blundell Park, in the days when we attracted ex England and Irish internationals!

http://i58.tinypic.com/72wsv4.jpg
Posted by: ginnywings, March 10, 2015, 8:06pm; Reply: 1
Best player i've ever seen in a Town shirt.

Makes watching the standard of football at this level very difficult to bear when you think how good we have had it at BP in years gone by.
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, March 10, 2015, 8:09pm; Reply: 2
He made a huge difference to Kevin Drinkell's game, too. Drinkell came of age playing alongside him.
Posted by: gytone, March 10, 2015, 10:12pm; Reply: 3
He was a class act !
Posted by: mimma, March 10, 2015, 11:53pm; Reply: 4
What ground is it?

I'm going for Griffin Park, Brentford.
Posted by: iimariner, March 11, 2015, 3:12am; Reply: 5
He's made my top town XI - just for his goal vs Chelsea (if memory serves me right)
Posted by: Garth, March 11, 2015, 8:41am; Reply: 6
Class player, will those times ever return?
Posted by: BIGChris, March 11, 2015, 9:22am; Reply: 7
Quoted from jock dock tower
The classiest player I've ever had the pleasure to watch at Blundell Park, in the days when we attracted ex England and Irish internationals!

http://i58.tinypic.com/72wsv4.jpg

My view entirely/

When he visited earlier this season he was superb company. A genuinely  top man.

Dave Moore came and spoke to him and said something along the lines of " we thought we were half decent, Fordy, Drinks, Joe, our Kev etc but then Trevor arrived and we realised there wasnt only another level but that level was way above our heads"

Class from every pore.
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 11, 2015, 10:21am; Reply: 8
When my daughter worked in the school kitchen at the local high school.

One of her work mates asked her if she followed football,

She said no but I was a big Grimsby Town fan,

Oh her friend said, he might know my brother,

He used to play for Grimsby,

She was Trevor Whymark's sister. 8)
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 11, 2015, 1:29pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from mimma
What ground is it?

I'm going for Griffin Park, Brentford.

Just checked my Mariners' bible and it can't be Brentford as we never played them when he was with us....

So who can come up with the away ground?  Lots of trees there....Shrewsbury (Gay Meadow) or some such similar?

Apart from his home debut which everyone will recall, my favourite Whymark moments were

a) Home to Notts County same season...I remember him pushing Bob Mitchell out of the way to put away a goal for us with an as usual perfect finish
b) Away to Leicester (Filbert Street) at the end of the following season..we won there 2-1 to stay up with him scoring both of our goals (and to deny them promotion as I recall it)

What a brilliant night that was.... :)
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 10:11pm