Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, March 9, 2015, 4:57pm
Just seen Town crop up on a quiz on Sporcle; since the start of the 1992/93 season only Millwall and Preston have played more seasons in the Championship than Town without ever having played in the Premier League. Not sure if it's interesting, depressing or neither but thought I would share regardless.
Posted by: pizzzza, March 9, 2015, 5:52pm; Reply: 1
Huddersfield must have more seasons in the second tier since 92 too I would have thought.
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 9, 2015, 6:02pm; Reply: 2
AND

We took it for granted at the time,

Never again.

We will cherish every game if we get back.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, March 9, 2015, 6:19pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from pizzzza
Huddersfield must have more seasons in the second tier since 92 too I would have thought.

According to the quiz they've had one less. Here's the quiz if anybody is interested:

http://www.sporcle.com/games/adamravenscroft/almost-premier-league

Posted by: Abdul19, March 9, 2015, 6:26pm; Reply: 4
Hudds were relegated when we stayed up beating Fulham (2001) and only went back up in 2012.
Posted by: sparko501, March 9, 2015, 10:11pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from grimsby pete
AND

Never again.

Well said totally agree.  After tasting life in the conference, if/when we go up I will definitely appreciate being in the football league a lot lot more
Posted by: Abdul19, March 10, 2015, 1:33am; Reply: 6
It won't happen like that though! Give it a month and we'll be moaning at our inability to beat tinpot shite like Stevenage ;)
Posted by: BIGChris, March 10, 2015, 6:55am; Reply: 7
Quoted from grimsby pete
AND

Never again.

Agree but we must ensure we do whatever is necessary to make sure it NEVER happens again
Posted by: moosey_club, March 10, 2015, 8:05am; Reply: 8
Quoted from sparko501

Well said totally agree.  After tasting life in the conference, if/when we go up I will definitely appreciate being in the football league a lot lot more

Yeah...cant wait for the higher prices, heavier policing, over stewarding and to be treat like cattle.....standards of football may be lower and some of the places we go may not be so glamorous but there is alot to like about the conference experience IMO.

Posted by: Garth, March 10, 2015, 9:15am; Reply: 9
Quoted from moosey_club

Yeah...cant wait for the higher prices, heavier policing, over stewarding and to be treat like cattle.....standards of football may be lower and some of the places we go may not be so glamorous but there is alot to like about the conference experience IMO.

Sorry,  but its as tinpot as tinpot can be from failing floodlights, flooded grounds, away crowds in single figures cowshed like stands and all for the same price as league footie.

Oh and having to beg and plead for the chance to sign any half decent player who turns his nose up at the thought of dropping out of the league
Posted by: moosey_club, March 10, 2015, 1:33pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Garth

Sorry,  but its as tinpot as tinpot can be from failing floodlights, flooded grounds, away crowds in single figures cowshed like stands and all for the same price as league footie.

Oh and having to beg and plead for the chance to sign any half decent player who turns his nose up at the thought of dropping out of the league

Generally friendly hosts, lack of segregation, using home facilities in the ground, cheaper entrance, standing on proper terraces.....horses for courses but somewhere in the middle ground would be nice.
Posted by: horsforthmariner, March 10, 2015, 2:31pm; Reply: 11
I understand Mossey's point but I am ready to be shot of:

No highlights on Saturday night after MOTD.
Being treated as a semi pro club
more opposition players than opposition fans in blundell park.
The FA trophy taking up saturdays that should be used for league matches.
England C
FA cup qualifying.
Getting lost and turning up late as the ground I drove past doesn't look big enough for a proper football match.
No league cup or JPT trophy.
FA trophy replays.
Being worse than Scunny.
Not being on any football computer games.
Gateshead
Non league refs
FA trophy replays being rescheduled hundreds of times because of waterlogged pitches.
No coverage in any newspaper bar the GET
Not being able to attract players because we are not a league side and they sod off to Accrington instead.
Not being able to laugh at Lincoln for being non-league.
The FA wanting to merge our league with Man City B team
FA trophy booking counting in the league
Players believing becoming a second hard car salesman is a better career choice than being a professional footballer
the non regionalised nature of the FA Trophy.
Our matches not being included in real football stats
Teams with no history buying their way out the league.
hoofball working
Two legged FA trophy semi's.
Richard Brodie
Being relieved we've beaten a club like Forest Green who are a"big team" in this league.
Working out that of all the teams who have played in tier 2 only Stockport have it worse than us
Dreadful sponsor names for the league
the risk that we may again lose to Braintree 5-0.
Dodgy floodlights at oppositions stadiums
Drainage issues that play havoc with the league
League decisions that make no sense.
FA trophy finals that mean NOTHING
struggling to find commentary

But apart from these minor quibbles I quite like the conference
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 10, 2015, 2:55pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from moosey_club

For the first couple of seasons it was due mainly to the novelty factor of visiting new places etc. I managed to do about 20 new grounds in the first couple of seasons but the novelty has well and truly worn off now.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, March 10, 2015, 3:03pm; Reply: 13
Not sure about the FA Trophy final that means NOTHING.

Maybe "feel nothing" because they schedule it in the middle of winter, during a snowstorm, and you freeze your nuts off. And for ET and penalties.

For coverage, there is always the NLP.  ;)
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 10, 2015, 4:02pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from horsforthmariner
No coverage in any newspaper bar the GET

That should read "Never having to buy The Non-League Paper on a Sunday morning again"
Posted by: jock dock tower, March 10, 2015, 4:41pm; Reply: 15
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Cracking wee paper regardless of the fact that we're feature in it. Have bought that and many other non league publications for donkey's years, so much more informative than the sh1te that we get fed daily about the Premiership and their "superstars"
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, March 10, 2015, 4:47pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from moosey_club

Whilst we all want out of this league, i do see your point.

didn't Eastleigh chairman buy the town fans a drink ? and all went home with food ?

little things like that are great, small clubs = better community.
Posted by: moosey_club, March 10, 2015, 7:34pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Whilst we all want out of this league, i do see your point.

didn't Eastleigh chairman buy the town fans a drink ? and all went home with food ?

little things like that are great, small clubs = better community.

Exactly...the higher you go the more you lose, no personal touch, profit over personal.
Print page generated: April 24, 2024, 8:38pm