Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: excusebeef, March 3, 2015, 3:29pm
I wanted to see what successes and strategies my fellow fishy folk have on match day betting in general.

A good friend of mine generally bets big on doubles, accepting nothing shorter than 2/7. He will pick 5 teams on a match day. Pick 2 or 3 doubles from that list at £30 - £50 a double and then go for the 5 team accumulator at £10. He doesn't bet on every double combo mind you. He hardly ever chooses away wins, never backs draws. but for 11 years he's finished year on year in a 4 figure profit.

i've tried following his approach and done woeful. I learnt that doing 6 team accumulators opened me up for failure for one team to let me down. So now i have adopted his approach which looks at last 8 game league tables/form tables home and away.

Are there any strategies worth going for?

Was funny, on Saturday on Sporting Life they had town and FGR as the two bankers is the entire football league pyramid but strangely I didn't fancy town on Saturday to win outright. i don't see going for the pundits bankers as the way forward.

I remember a few years back on the Fishy, some bloke was saying how he would bet £10 for town win 3-1 every match. Well it's happened 3 times this season which I guess would break him even over a season.

i'm all a bit lost as to the best way of doing well

Posted by: psgmariner, March 3, 2015, 3:42pm; Reply: 1
It's a mugs' game mate!

I only try to bet when I think the odds are generous. I use the oddschecker website to check which bookies are offering the best odds. It is a really useful site.

Other than that I often take up the enhanced odds offers from companies like Sky Bet. They usually do one every weekend on 3 Prem games. This week they gave 6/1 on Man U, Newcastle and Stoke which was enhanced from 4/1 or something. Even without knowing much about the teams it was clearly good value and a much welcome win.

The absolute nirvana o betting is the guaranteed win which only comes about every so often courtesy of B365's in play offer or if you want to go down the matched betting route which looks too risky and complicated for me.
Posted by: excusebeef, March 3, 2015, 3:50pm; Reply: 2
I guess for me it's only £1 here and there to keep the interest. I certainly can't afford much more than that!

Yeah odds checker quite decent for that, at least you know the best prices at a glance. Funny, about a month ago Rovers were 11/1 for the title. i thought then wow that's worth a £10. Still fancy them as title winners after their great 3 points on the weekend. Just hope town prove me wrong

I do like when Bet365 do their in-play offers though. I tend to pair up with a friend and go for the £50 no-lose bets. Christmas saw a nice £300 windfall.

It appears though like with my friend in my first post, he has a winning formula.
Posted by: pizzzza, March 3, 2015, 3:50pm; Reply: 3
Singles, doubles is the way to go. The 6 team accumulator type bets really are a mugs game (there is always one that lets you down!). I don't read the SL but I actually did stick 20 on the FGR and Town double and last Tuesday had Town and Bristol Rovers. Individually very short odds on but in doubles they paid better than evens.

I think I have more of an edge over the bookies with conference games (one of the good things, maybe the only one, about Town being down here) so I avoid the Prem where I see little value nowadays.
Posted by: excusebeef, March 3, 2015, 3:58pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from pizzzza
Singles, doubles is the way to go. The 6 team accumulator type bets really are a mugs game (there is always one that lets you down!). I don't read the SL but I actually did stick 20 on the FGR and Town double and last Tuesday had Town and Bristol Rovers. Individually very short odds on but in doubles they paid better than evens.

I think I have more of an edge over the bookies with conference games (one of the good things, maybe the only one, about Town being down here) so I avoid the Prem where I see little value nowadays.

Funny, I feel the conference games are harder to predict unless, as you say, you go for the teams at the very top in form. Only have to look at some of the shocks this year
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 3, 2015, 4:51pm; Reply: 5
On a day when there is a full (or almost full programme) I put a £2 accumulator on 6 homes but each one has to be Evens or better.

If it comes in then you are guaranteed at least £128 so with there usually only being about 40 times when there is a full programme of games you only need to get it up once a season to be in profit.

I've been doing it for about 5 or 6 season now and there has only been 1 season when I haven't won at least once.

One season I won 3 times (a total of just over £700). So far this season I have won once (just over £300) so I am already in profit this season.

I did put my choices on here the first week this season and I think I only got 1 of the 6 right but I then won the following week. No more success so far but I have been 1 off on a couple of occasions.

It's quite surprising the games you can get the home team at Evens or better.

I have done a 6 homes tonight so I will be brave and post them here and hope it doesn't go as badly as the first week I posted them.

If all 6 come in then it returns just over £400.

Barnsley (v Coventry) 6/4
Port Vale (v Oldham) 7/5
Yeovil (v Walsall) 6/4
Cambridge United (v York) 8/5
Dag & Red (v Hartlepool) 13/10
Newport (v Mansfield) 23/20

Maybe a case for someone to do 6 aways on the above maybe?  ;)
Posted by: RichMariner, March 3, 2015, 5:06pm; Reply: 6
I don't put any more than a pound on accumulators, and have no more than 4 teams. I get fed up of losing all the time!

I tend to pick 10 results at the start of an afternoon but place no bets. Then I look at all 10 fixtures at half time and start placing my money.

If any of my teams are already winning then I don't bother backing them (the odds aren't great). Same goes for if they're losing - it's too risky. But it depends how many they're losing by (I backed Portsmouth to overturn a 1-0 half time deficit against Tranmere last week and they did it - but only after going 2-0 down!).

If the scores are level then I get busy. Two of my three came in at the weekend - I backed Bolton to beat Brighton and Forest to win at Reading (each were 3.40). Couple of quid returned £4.80 profit (well, £3.80 if you take off the pound I backed Burton with).

It's not a massive earner as I don't bet big, but I'm finding that I'm winning more than I'm losing on a fairly consistent basis.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, March 3, 2015, 6:02pm; Reply: 7
I put £1 on the full Conference fixture list each Saturday. Saturday just gone I did a £1 bet and 50p on the 3pm kick offs. Aldershot let me down for £3k but if that came in, Macclesfield would have let me down for a further £22k! I then do a four fold at about 5/1 to cover my weekend bets and that often comes in. This fourfold I expand into an 8 and 12-fold. Never won big and often my Conference bet goes belly up completely!
Posted by: lobsterpot, March 3, 2015, 6:19pm; Reply: 8
I often find the conference is best for goals galore as most $hit strikers can score against most $hit defences!
Tonight ive got £2.75 on boro, watford, bris city, bradford and forest all to win returns £53 and my £5 GG is
bourne-wolves
brighton-derby
barns-cov
dartford-woking
tran-wyc
wombles-southend
returns £149
Posted by: mr b, March 3, 2015, 9:16pm; Reply: 9
I do 3 draws £4 sat just gone paid £150.80p

Back york most weeks they seem to draw a lot , did scunny and Blackburn on Saturday just gone ,

Come in 5 times this season and never won less than £100

Welling are a good bet for me too
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 3, 2015, 9:53pm; Reply: 10
Oh well, was it Meatloaf who once said "2 outta 6 ain't bad"  ;)
Posted by: Tommy, March 3, 2015, 9:57pm; Reply: 11
MK Dons = useless cretins
Posted by: LH, March 3, 2015, 10:06pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Tommy
MK Dons = useless cretins

Fully agree. £270 I was on for!
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 3, 2015, 10:09pm; Reply: 13
Swindon and Derby will have busted a few bets tonight I reckon too.
Posted by: psgmariner, March 4, 2015, 6:55am; Reply: 14
I used a free £20 bet from paddy on villa drawing. Thanks Ben Foster!  
Posted by: supertown, March 4, 2015, 10:59am; Reply: 15
I hardly ever do footy betting anymore but I did win 1000 in 1989 on 10 home wins! golf betting is better, can get great odds and a small lay out and it can keep you interested for 4 days. I tend to do each way doubles on the us pga and euro tour each week. It helps if you like golf of course.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, March 4, 2015, 11:05am; Reply: 16
Derby and Sheff Utd let me down. Gits
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, March 4, 2015, 7:04pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from supertown
I hardly ever do footy betting anymore but I did win 1000 in 1989 on 10 home wins! golf betting is better, can get great odds and a small lay out and it can keep you interested for 4 days. I tend to do each way doubles on the us pga and euro tour each week. It helps if you like golf of course.

I think golf is a good choice if you spend a bit of time on your research. Find a player in reasonable form who's played well on that particular course before and chances are they'll do well again and like you say you can get some decent odds.

Re the footy, I agree entirely re sticking to singles and doubles. Quite like a small odds acca on a game for +/- corners, cards and goals too - can keep a dull game entertaining though difficult to find a win.
Posted by: LH, March 4, 2015, 9:42pm; Reply: 18
Last night it was MK Dons and tonight it was Celtic. Why is it always a home banker?
Posted by: AdamHaddock, March 4, 2015, 9:56pm; Reply: 19
Celtic and Narridge for me tonight (censored)
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, March 4, 2015, 10:12pm; Reply: 20
Quite like doing 7+ accy with teams as draw no bet
Posted by: RichMariner, March 5, 2015, 1:46pm; Reply: 21
Backed Leeds and Manu to win when both games were 0-0 at half time (Leeds 3.90, Manu 2.15). Lost a quid on Everton though (£3.05 profit overall).

Slow and steady!
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 4:20pm