Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Teestogreen, February 25, 2015, 5:51pm
Jumped in to my car today, switched engine on, and the first two words, resounding from the radio,  were 'Grimsby Town'. Seemed a bit surreal but ------

Jeremy Vine was interviewing Graham Taylor, and he was remembering his days as left full back with Grimsby Town.

As a first football memory (age between 8 or 9), I had to watch Grimsby through the timber palings at the Barratt Stand and he was usually the player on view (either taking a throw in or cutting in to cross the ball with his right foot). He mentioned that the Grimsby Town manager at the time, Tommy Johnson, told him that left back was his position (after 1 youth team game), even though he was right footed.

Jeremy gave him a very respectful question time and his achievements at Lincoln, Watford, Aston Villa were pretty phenominal.

Obviously, his tenure as England manager was mentioned (including the bad press he received, when targets were not achieved),
but the man came over as a gentleman - and I believe he is.
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 25, 2015, 5:54pm; Reply: 1
I was playing for the juniors aged 14/15 when Graham aged 18 got into the first team.

I bet he did not mention me though. ;D
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, February 25, 2015, 6:03pm; Reply: 2
he's doing a Mariners Trust evening soon.
Posted by: moosey_club, February 25, 2015, 6:25pm; Reply: 3
Always happy to squeeze a plug in for any former club when he is on commentary or pundit work and seems to remember where he came from in the game despite reaching the top level in the domestic game.
Posted by: BIGChris, February 25, 2015, 10:27pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
he's doing a Mariners Trust evening soon.

Friday 17th April at BP.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, February 26, 2015, 12:54pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Teestogreen
Jumped in to my car today, switched engine on, and the first two words, resounding from the radio,  were 'Grimsby Town'. Seemed a bit surreal but ------

Jeremy Vine was interviewing Graham Taylor, and he was remembering his days as left full back with Grimsby Town.

As a first football memory (age between 8 or 9), I had to watch Grimsby through the timber palings at the Barratt Stand and he was usually the player on view (either taking a throw in or cutting in to cross the ball with his right foot). He mentioned that the Grimsby Town manager at the time, Tommy Johnson, told him that left back was his position (after 1 youth team game), even though he was right footed.

Jeremy gave him a very respectful question time and his achievements at Lincoln, Watford, Aston Villa were pretty phenominal.

Obviously, his tenure as England manager was mentioned (including the bad press he received, when targets were not achieved),
but the man came over as a gentleman - and I believe he is.

One of my earliest memories at BP is being in the boy's enclosure (at the bottom right of the Barratt Stand) and seeing Graham Taylor score against Darlington ( 4-1 to Town)

I know we won quite well that day but I remember he was really made up with his goal when he took his position back up on the left side just in front of us young fans

I see on Wiki he only ever scored 3 goals, 2 for us and then another 1 at Lincoln so no wonder he was so pleased with his effort that day

Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 5:29am