Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 22, 2015, 8:58pm
Looking at the rest of the fixtures , I think we have a chance of finishing top if we can keep our form,

Bristol Rovers have to play ,Gateshead ,Halifax ,Macclesfield and Kiddi away, and Eastleigh at home,

Macclesfield have to play , Bristol Rovers at home and Eastleigh away,

So points will be dropped, we have to take advantage of this,

Beating Eastleigh and Gateshead at home are our two hardest games.

Barnet have lost 4 of their last 6 games so I can not see them bouncing back,

Come on you Mariners !!!!!!!
Posted by: supertown, February 22, 2015, 9:01pm; Reply: 1
Optimistic but thanks for the info
Posted by: SlouchyMetal, February 22, 2015, 9:02pm; Reply: 2
We can do this, we have to believe.

More importantly, Our belief must be reflected by the boys who matter and get the results we deserve. Onward and upward.

UTM
Posted by: GiveUsAG, February 22, 2015, 9:08pm; Reply: 3
It is possible. But it's a massive ask.

But "he who wins, is the man who believes he can" (or something like that) If our squad truly believe in themselves and truly believe that they can win, then maybe, just maybe, we might stand a chance.

But, in my opinion I think we'll be fighting it out in the play off's. I am optimistic about going all the way this season though.

League 2 here we come! Onwards and upwards. UTM
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 22, 2015, 9:09pm; Reply: 4
Like many have said previously, cheap points given away at BP may well prove very costly.
Posted by: Poojah, February 22, 2015, 9:19pm; Reply: 5
Using the simple formula of carrying forward Barnet's / Bristol Rovers' average points per game for their remaining 11 games then we're going to need something like 90 points to win the league (which would be comfortably the lowest title winning total since we've been down here).

Realistically then, we need at least 10 wins from our remaining 12 - any dropped points will seriously dent any hopes we have. Perhaps that's how we need to approach each game.
Posted by: SamTheMariner, February 22, 2015, 9:49pm; Reply: 6
I'm worried that we've got to play lesser teams because they'll all do the same whether it be home or away put 11 men behind the ball and say come on, break us down. And you know what we won't. It isn't actually difficult to defend when you're well drilled and disciplined. Look at Nuneaton, Dover, Altrincham, Southport, Dartford, Kidderminster, Torquay, Telford away, Lincoln, Macclesfield, Bristol Rovers and Oxford even. What did they do, sit back, let us come to them, don't let us create many chances or score and the better sides scored one or more break away goals.
Posted by: Abdul19, February 22, 2015, 9:59pm; Reply: 7
I'm not sure one game constitutes form!

Performances like yesterday and 5 weeks ago are great, but it's annoying that we have so many games where we don't reach anywhere near that level.

I'd love to see us go on a bonkers winning run, but who'd be genuinely surprised if we dropped points on Tuesday or Saturday (or both!)?

4th again.
Posted by: LH, February 22, 2015, 11:07pm; Reply: 8
We might have done Bristol Rovers a favour in their title pursuit but they could return the favour by helping to ensure our play off place. If they beat Macclesfield a top two play off finish could be on. I'm bored of being the Arsenal of non-league now.
Posted by: Abdul19, February 22, 2015, 11:35pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from LH
I'm bored of being the Arsenal of non-league now.

PH would look ace in that coat.
Posted by: LH, February 22, 2015, 11:37pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Abdul19

He'd be tripping over it.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, February 22, 2015, 11:37pm; Reply: 11
At least he'd know how to do it up
Posted by: WokingMariner, February 23, 2015, 9:29am; Reply: 12
Despite our record against "lesser" teams I'd rather be playing a "lesser" team than one of the big boys. If we approach every game in a positive mind then anything is possible.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, February 23, 2015, 10:18am; Reply: 13
you say if we keep up or recent form ?

we have only won 1 in our last 3 games

whilst i hope we do it, i think we messed up the title challenge against FGR and bristol
Posted by: GiveUsAG, February 23, 2015, 11:02am; Reply: 14
In the last 10 games played (top 5);
Barnet have won 5, drew 1, lost 4.
Bristol Rovers have won 7, drew 3, lost 0.
Macclesfield have won 7, drew 2, lost 1.
Grimsby have won 6, drew 0, lost 4,
Forest Green have won 6, drew 2, lost.

This is the form of the top 5 in the last 10 games. Barnet have slipped up big time, now Rovers are just 1 point behind them. We're in 4th, but 10 points of the top. (Macclesfield 4 points of the top).
Out of the top 5 teams, Grimsby (V Telford), Bristol Rovers (V Braintree) and Forest Green (V Wrexham) play tomorrow night. (No idea I have mentioned this haha).

I personally think it is possible for the Mariners to win the league, but unfortunately I doubt that we will (please let me be proved wrong). I think Bristol will win the league, but if we can build momentum, then I am confident will go all the way through the play off's, then onwards and upwards to the football league.  8)
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, February 23, 2015, 11:17am; Reply: 15
Quoted from GiveUsAG
In the last 10 games played (top 5);
Barnet have won 5, drew 1, lost 4.
Bristol Rovers have won 7, drew 3, lost 0.
Macclesfield have won 7, drew 2, lost 1.
Grimsby have won 6, drew 0, lost 4,
Forest Green have won 6, drew 2, lost.

This is the form of the top 5 in the last 10 games. Barnet have slipped up big time, now Rovers are just 1 point behind them. We're in 4th, but 10 points of the top. (Macclesfield 4 points of the top).
Out of the top 5 teams, Grimsby (V Telford), Bristol Rovers (V Braintree) and Forest Green (V Wrexham) play tomorrow night. (No idea I have mentioned this haha).

I personally think it is possible for the Mariners to win the league, but unfortunately I doubt that we will (please let me be proved wrong). I think Bristol will win the league, but if we can build momentum, then I am confident will go all the way through the play off's, then onwards and upwards to the football league.  8)

we are 9 points of the top
Posted by: Saudimariner, February 23, 2015, 11:24am; Reply: 16
[quote=120779]

But "he who wins, is the man who believes he can" (or something like that) If our squad truly believe in themselves and truly believe that they can win, then maybe, just maybe, we might stand a chance.

"He who dares, wins, Rodney"
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 23, 2015, 11:32am; Reply: 17
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
you say if we keep up or recent form ?

we have only won 1 in our last 3 games

whilst i hope we do it, i think we messed up the title challenge against FGR and bristol

Sorry I do not see that many games,

BUT

Recently I have seen our lads stuff the top team 3-1  twice  8)
Posted by: Caesar, February 23, 2015, 11:34am; Reply: 18
I think this is the type of optimisim that games like Saturday are bound to encourage, we all look forward and hope that we can recreate that atmosphere and push us along to the top.  

We definately could finish top, I just think it is very unlikely.  Give us a G has pointed out our somewhat indifferent form over the last 10 games, to go on the kind of run we would need to win the league is not something we seem capable of doing.  I got my hopes up so much ahead of Forest Green away, but those 2 defeats that followed have put us too far back.  I refuse to allow us to build my hopes up , lets go out and enjoy every game we have got left, and push on for the highest position we can get so we enter the playoffs with confidence.  Then if the teams above us mess up and come into our view I will allow myself to get my hopes up.
Posted by: AlanPoutonsTackle, February 23, 2015, 11:45am; Reply: 19
Were not good enough the Bristol Rovers game proved that. That said I'm not convinced if Bristol Rovers do go up that we can't slide in through the play offs. personally though at the moment when I look at the table I'm looking at the teams below us rather than those above. If we get to within 3 points that may be different but I just don't think we are nearly consistent enough to win the league.
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 23, 2015, 1:12pm; Reply: 20
As long as we go up I do not care how we do it,

I just do not want another play off heartache.
Posted by: WokingMariner, February 23, 2015, 2:44pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from AlanPoutonsTackle
Were not good enough the Bristol Rovers game proved that. That said I'm not convinced if Bristol Rovers do go up that we can't slide in through the play offs. personally though at the moment when I look at the table I'm looking at the teams below us rather than those above. If we get to within 3 points that may be different but I just don't think we are nearly consistent enough to win the league.

How can one close game which ended 1-0 prove anything? Not that I don't agree BR are a good team and probably deserve to win the league but there is not much to choose between them and us.
Posted by: lukeo, February 23, 2015, 3:30pm; Reply: 22
we CAN do this. but more importantly IF WE DONT, keep the faith and keep the atmosphere going in the play offs!
Posted by: 75 (Guest), February 23, 2015, 3:31pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Abdul19

Catterpaulhurst
Posted by: Garth, February 23, 2015, 3:43pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from WokingMariner
Despite our record against "lesser" teams I'd rather be playing a "lesser" team than one of the big boys. If we approach every game in a positive mind then anything is possible.

Really! the so called Big Boys come out to attack us leaving room at the back for us to exploit on break aways, , we need to practise Plan B during training that is find a way through a packed defence, this season will hinge on the tactics of the little Boys and how we overcome them for three points gained
Posted by: Paris Mariner, February 23, 2015, 3:46pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from SlouchyMetal
We can do this, we have to believe.

More importantly, Our belief must be reflected by the boys who matter and get the results we deserve. Onward and upward.

UTM

Yeah, we can do it!! All in!!
Posted by: Garth, February 23, 2015, 3:47pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Saudimariner
[quote=120779]

You Plonker, custie  ;)
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 24, 2015, 1:09am; Reply: 27
Quoted from WokingMariner

How can one close game which ended 1-0 prove anything? Not that I don't agree BR are a good team and probably deserve to win the league but there is not much to choose between them and us.

It may have been a close scoreline in the end but overall if they had won 3-0 it wouldn't have been unjustified.
Posted by: Maringer, February 24, 2015, 8:33am; Reply: 28
I think the question is, how much of our poor performance against Rovers was down to us and how much was down to them? I don't doubt that we could have beat them if we had played a good bit better, but I think part of the reason behind our poor performance was their style of play and workrate.

As I said after the game, having a fit Palmer up front could have made a big difference as LJL got little change from their big defence (and it didn't help that Jolley was well out of sorts alongside him). To beat them, we would certainly need to cause them more problems at the back than we did at BP the other week.

If it comes to the play-offs, I'd certainly prefer to face Barnet out of the two teams.
Posted by: gary_elton, February 24, 2015, 11:07am; Reply: 29
Quoted from Saudimariner
[quote=120779]

I think you'll find his name is " Dave "   ;)
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 12:22pm