Print Topic - Archive

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 22, 2015, 6:05pm
My first visit yesterday having previously been to Underhill, looks a really good set-up and a real community project. I know we are looking at something with double the capacity, but looking at this, why do we need the partner funding? Couldn't we work WITH the council, like Barnet clearly have with Harrow, to achieve a really good (if slightly small) COMMUNITY facility?
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, February 22, 2015, 6:08pm; Reply: 1
Don't we already have a "community stadium"?  At Bradley
Posted by: Welwynmariner, February 22, 2015, 6:09pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from MuddyWaters
My first visit yesterday having previously been to Underhill, looks a really good set-up and a real community project. I know we are looking at something with double the capacity, but looking at this, why do we need the partner funding? Couldn't we work WITH the council, like Barnet clearly have, to achieve a really good (if slightly small) COMMUNITY facility?

Barnet's relationship with Barnet Council has to be the worst relationship imaginable. The Hive is in the neighbouring borough of Harrow and I gather that one of the stands didn't have planning permission.
Posted by: barralad, February 22, 2015, 6:11pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Welwynmariner

Barnet's relationship with Barnet Council has to be the worst relationship imaginable. The Hive is in the neighbouring borough of Harrow and I gather that one of the stands didn't have planning permission.

:)  Is it the one that suffered structurally under the weight of bouncing mariners?
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 22, 2015, 6:11pm; Reply: 4
Sorry Old Codger but we have ambitions of reaching the promised land.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 22, 2015, 6:17pm; Reply: 5

Doesn't my post mention Harrow?  ;)
Posted by: Welwynmariner, February 22, 2015, 6:17pm; Reply: 6
See http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/news/local-news/barnet-fc-sees-enforcement-notice-6945832

It's the one in front of the tube line that was the issue.

Good day yesterday though.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 22, 2015, 6:18pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from barralad

:)  Is it the one that suffered structurally under the weight of bouncing mariners?

LOL - did we try to de-construct it - along the lines of a Newport flag?
Posted by: psgmariner, February 22, 2015, 6:32pm; Reply: 8
Probably due to their location but barnet are one club who have a sustainable model based on their new ground. They make excrement loads out of visiting teams who come to London and also have 1st rate medical facilities etc.
Posted by: BIGChris, February 22, 2015, 6:41pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from psgmariner
Probably due to their location but barnet are one club who have a sustainable model based on their new ground. They make excrement loads out of visiting teams who come to London and also have 1st rate medical facilities etc.

I thought I read somewhere that they make buggar all as they don't own it and are desperately trying to get back to a new ground in the Borough of a Barnet??

(Or did I dream that?)
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 22, 2015, 8:41pm; Reply: 10
See http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/news/local-news/barnet-fc-sees-enforcement-notice-6945832

It's the one in front of the tube line that was the issue.

Good day yesterday though.

That was the stand we were in,

I am sure it was made of lego, it was not a concrete structure.
Posted by: Rick12, February 22, 2015, 8:48pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from MuddyWaters
My first visit yesterday having previously been to Underhill, looks a really good set-up and a real community project. I know we are looking at something with double the capacity, but looking at this, why do we need the partner funding? Couldn't we work WITH the council, like Barnet clearly have with Harrow, to achieve a really good (if slightly small) COMMUNITY facility?
To be honest with you I  thought the same.Great facilities considering their a non league club.

Posted by: arryarryarry, February 22, 2015, 9:58pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from psgmariner

When I mentioned on their forum that the ground is one decent stand two bus shelters and a few seats propped up against the wall of a sports centre they pointed out they are hoping to move to a new ground.
Posted by: mike_d, February 22, 2015, 10:32pm; Reply: 13
Remember the first aid point at the old ground which if you went to at the top of the exposed stand you'd have added hypothermia to your list of troubles?
Posted by: BeesKnees, February 22, 2015, 10:48pm; Reply: 14
Hi all, quick run down
1. Harrow Council have been ordered to pay costs for illegal enforcement and all planning has been approved.
2. West stand isn't finished, there is a rear extension to go on for indoor spectator space and to provide disabled seating at the top level.
3. We have planning for a seated stand to replace the away terrace.
4. Medical centre and be ticket office extension are currently being built in the East stand.

Financially the Hive makes a tidy profit from non-matchday revenue and the hope is that one day a new ground will be developed in Barnet using the money the Hive makes.  Basically over the next 2 years this site is expected to evolve significantly.

Any how, all the best with getting your new ground
Posted by: barralad, February 23, 2015, 9:12am; Reply: 15
Quoted from BeesKnees
Hi all, quick run down
1. Harrow Council have been ordered to pay costs for illegal enforcement and all planning has been approved.
2. West stand isn't finished, there is a rear extension to go on for indoor spectator space and to provide disabled seating at the top level.
3. We have planning for a seated stand to replace the away terrace.
4. Medical centre and be ticket office extension are currently being built in the East stand.

Financially the Hive makes a tidy profit from non-matchday revenue and the hope is that one day a new ground will be developed in Barnet using the money the Hive makes.  Basically over the next 2 years this site is expected to evolve significantly.

Any how, all the best with getting your new ground

Would you like to say this to those who cannot see the benefits in us moving to a new stadium-and we wouldn't need to spend the money on another new stadium...
Posted by: BIGChris, February 23, 2015, 9:22am; Reply: 16
As our fans team were quoted £60 for their share of the pitch hire for a game on Saturday they must be making some profit!! I was told that our lads refused to pay that sort of of money and the game didnt go ahead (there may have been other reasons too but cost was certainly a significant factor)
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 23, 2015, 9:47am; Reply: 17
Quoted from barralad

Would you like to say this to those who cannot see the benefits in us moving to a new stadium-and we wouldn't need to spend the money on another new stadium...

The difference being that there isn't a big f**-off supermarket and new housing surrounding it. From conversations I've had with several locals, it's not the stadium as such that people have a problem with, it's the rest of the development that people see as either unnecessary or (and this isn't me speaking) a chance for someone to line their pockets.
Posted by: barralad, February 23, 2015, 11:24am; Reply: 18
Quoted from MuddyWaters

The difference being that there isn't a big f**-off supermarket and new housing surrounding it. From conversations I've had with several locals, it's not the stadium as such that people have a problem with, it's the rest of the development that people see as either unnecessary or (and this isn't me speaking) a chance for someone to line their pockets.

Good point that Codge...people need to realise though that it may not be possible to have one (the stadium) without the other (retail/housing). It would be interesting to know what problems Barnet did face as housing is pretty close and the roads surrounding the ground were somewhat crowded with normal London traffic...
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 23, 2015, 11:29am; Reply: 19
Its not a question of someone lining their pockets,

We need the housing and other things to fund our new stadium,
Posted by: biggles9999, February 23, 2015, 11:55am; Reply: 20
Quoted from BIGChris
As our fans team were quoted £60 for their share of the pitch hire for a game on Saturday they must be making some profit!! I was told that our lads refused to pay that sort of of money and the game didnt go ahead (there may have been other reasons too but cost was certainly a significant factor)

The full fees for us to play them in the morning would have been £150 (£120 pitch and £30 for the ref).

Ridiculously over priced when you think that it is 90 minutes of football - effectively £7 each if you only have 11 men per team.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, February 23, 2015, 12:30pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from BIGChris

I thought I read somewhere that they make buggar all as they don't own it and are desperately trying to get back to a new ground in the Borough of a Barnet??

(Or did I dream that?)

If you did dream it then you have pretty strange and boring dreams  ;)
Posted by: BeesKnees, February 23, 2015, 12:38pm; Reply: 22
Those grass pitches are used by several professional teams and aren't really like regular park pitches.  The normal price for a match on them is £440.  International and European clubs who are playing at Wembley use them.  

http://thehivelondon.com/football-centre/pitch-hire-prices/

I guess they are priced to prevent over use and provide high quality facilities for professional teams. As they are used less often than most pitches then the cost has to be higher to cover maintenance.  

Posted by: moosey_club, February 23, 2015, 12:57pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from BIGChris

To be fair BC perhaps they were just joining in the spirit of the day and "inflated" the prices  ;)  
Posted by: BIGChris, February 23, 2015, 1:05pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from BeesKnees
Those grass pitches are used by several professional teams and aren't really like regular park pitches.  The normal price for a match on them is £440.  International and European clubs who are playing at Wembley use them.  

http://thehivelondon.com/football-centre/pitch-hire-prices/

I guess they are priced to prevent over use and provide high quality facilities for professional teams. As they are used less often than most pitches then the cost has to be higher to cover maintenance.  

This was for the Barnet FC fans team to play there.
Posted by: aldi_01, February 23, 2015, 8:02pm; Reply: 25
A ground like The Hive is ok as a community venture but personally any professional club that has any aspirations of moving forward and going through the leagues that builds a ground like the Hive is very short sighted. It isn't a great ground and has a very low capacity.

There are issues with the ground and as mentioned previously there are underlying issues regarding the biggest stand and with the club not being entirely happy at playing there.
BC has covered most of it as have others. It's certainly better than underhill though.

I'd certainly be gutted if that's what we end up with eventually.
Posted by: BeesKnees, February 23, 2015, 10:48pm; Reply: 26
Sadly the East stand and the end terraces were not built by Barnet.  They were inherited when the club took over the lease from the Council.  Eventually the end terraces will be replaced, exec boxes put in above the East stand seating and the West stand extended to make the stadium a 10k all seater.

Figures crossed it will no longer be Barnet FCs home by then.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 12:56pm