Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, February 19, 2015, 4:55pm
Just been writing on the Tottenham forums for the petition.

Anyone remember going to this? Pity we lost, but was good to see Town against these good players, I think Durie was up front with Lineker, another great player.

Grimsby Town already dumped Aston Villa out! lol (thumbup1)

[youtube]bUcipwYKJy4[/youtube] [youtube]8ejVYeHMfVo[/youtube]
Posted by: cmackenzie4, February 19, 2015, 5:00pm; Reply: 1
I was in the pontoon that game with my mate, can remember it well, great memories.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, February 19, 2015, 5:04pm; Reply: 2
I was there to.  Think we lost 3-0.  Their finishing was clinical.  Surprisingly, we outplayed them for large parts of the game.  There was the Town chant "What's it liked to be outclassed?".

At least we beat them a few years later.  
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 19, 2015, 5:11pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from cmackenzie4
I was in the pontoon that game with my mate, can remember it well, great memories.

I was in the ponny too that night Chris,

I did not see you. ;)
Posted by: ginnywings, February 19, 2015, 5:20pm; Reply: 4
Lineker did nowt really except when he ball came to him in the box. Quick as a flash, it was in the back of the net. We played really well that night but they scored the goals when the chances came.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, February 19, 2015, 5:20pm; Reply: 5
I was just behind the goal Pete right near the front, my lad and me have just watched the clip and although I have got great memories I can't help but feel a bit down at were we are at now, the quality of football was excellent back then and just look at that support, my lad was just saying "I wish it was like that now Dad" let's hope we can get them days back! :o
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 19, 2015, 5:21pm; Reply: 6
I have just remembered, our postman got a lift from Suffolk with us saying he was a Spurs fan,

Turned out he supported Luton,

Mind you if I supported Luton,

I would say I was a Spurs fan as well. ;D
Posted by: Maringer, February 19, 2015, 5:28pm; Reply: 7
I seem to recall that their best player on the night was Durie. Never really rated him previously when I'd seen him play on telly, but he showed real quality against us. Perhaps it was just a little bit too much pace for our defenders?
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 19, 2015, 5:37pm; Reply: 8
I was there, Town were the better side on the night although they lost.
Posted by: BIGChris, February 19, 2015, 5:41pm; Reply: 9
Recall it well. My wife said "that Lineker has done nothing" and as she finished the sentence the ball dropped and he stabbed it in.
As for Gordon Durie he was once in the next room to me after we had both had had knee ops!
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 19, 2015, 5:43pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from promotion plaice
I was there, Town were the better side on the night although they lost.

Yeh Spurs had 3 lucky breakaways, ;D

Seriously he was a good game but Spurs knew how to finish that night.
Posted by: hertfordshire mariner, February 19, 2015, 6:44pm; Reply: 11
was in the ponny for this. still got the ticket :-)

Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Just been writing on the Tottenham forums for the petition.

Anyone remember going to this? Pity we lost, but was good to see Town against these good players, I think Durie was up front with Lineker, another great player.

Grimsby Town already dumped Aston Villa out! lol (thumbup1)

[youtube]bUcipwYKJy4[/youtube] [youtube]8ejVYeHMfVo[/youtube]

Posted by: Meza, February 19, 2015, 7:34pm; Reply: 12
I was in the upper findus with my dad, i thought Thorsvedt was their MOM kept loads out, it was a shame we couldn't score, but what an atmosphere.
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 19, 2015, 7:56pm; Reply: 13
I was in the Pontoon too that evening. The only thing Lineker did all night was put the ball in the net.

We had the lion's share on the game but the difference was Spurs clinical finishing.

Went into Town for a few beers afterwards and got home  to find that our house had been burgled and they nicked the video that I had programmed to record the game.
Posted by: barralad, February 19, 2015, 9:15pm; Reply: 14
Sat in the Main Stand next to Ray Clemence's nephew(?) who was full of praise for the way we'd played.
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 19, 2015, 9:41pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Les Brechin
I was in the Pontoon too that evening. The only thing Lineker did all night was put the ball in the net.

That's all Lineker  did in any game,

BUT

He was very good at it.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 19, 2015, 9:59pm; Reply: 16
Travelled up for that one. We murdered them - well all apart form scoring. Great game. great atmosphere.

Spurs fans* I mention that game to can't believe "Duke Box" ever scored. * Those old enough to remember anyway.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 19, 2015, 10:00pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from BIGChris
Recall it well. My wife said "that Lineker has done nothing" and as she finished the sentence the ball dropped and he stabbed it in.

If that'd happened to me, I'd have  used the term "my ex-wife said".
Posted by: livosnose, February 19, 2015, 10:20pm; Reply: 18
The Spurs team stayed at the Oaklands in Laceby where in was a washer upper ! As I recall Lineker got a lie in , the waitresses all loved the goalie and Paul Walsh had a fry up on the morning of the game as he knew he was sub !
Print page generated: April 23, 2024, 11:42pm