Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 15, 2015, 8:08pm
If Palmer is still injured for the Barnet game,

Should Hurst start with Hamish ?

Jolley did not work and Hannah keeps missing chances,

So lets see what Watson can do please Paul,

Another thing might be put LJL on the wing and play both Hamish and Palmer if fit,

Thoughts ?
Posted by: friskneymariner, February 15, 2015, 8:10pm; Reply: 1
Definitely.Created Hannah's offside goal nearly as soon as he came on.
Posted by: Hagrid, February 15, 2015, 8:23pm; Reply: 2
Must say each time ive seen him he has looked keen and like he wants to attack. I think he'd be perfect for next weeks game
Posted by: mimma, February 15, 2015, 8:35pm; Reply: 3
Yesterday was a perfect example of what not to do with raw talent when we need to change the game.

Bring him on 6 minutes from the end.

We needed to change the forward formation, chasing the game, but to leave it until it's too late was criminal.

It may, or may not have worked, but we don't know what Hamish is capable of, and at this rate we never will, At least give him a chance!
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 15, 2015, 8:41pm; Reply: 4
Well if he doesn't get a start in the next few games then that will be another complete waste of a salary, I just see no point whatsoever signing a player, saying he looks like he will score goals then bring him on with a few minutes to go, just what is Hurst expecting.
Posted by: barralad, February 15, 2015, 8:51pm; Reply: 5
You would hope that he is in the forefront of the manager's mind.

However, I firmly believe the problem now is that as fans (I include myself) we are looking for someone who can instantly make a massive impact. There was widespread thumbs up at the signing of Jolley and now three games in we are questioning his value. Is three games a fair amount of time?
If Hamish gets a start then doesn't deliver will he go the same way?
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, February 15, 2015, 9:07pm; Reply: 6
lol who would be a manager eh.
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 15, 2015, 9:36pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from barralad

However, I firmly believe the problem now is that as fans (I include myself) we are looking for someone who can instantly make a massive impact. There was widespread thumbs up at the signing of Jolley and now three games in we are questioning his value. Is three games a fair amount of time?

Was there enough due diligence done, Newport wanted rid because he was obviously not good enough for them anymore, and FGR didn't want to keep him and and one of FGRs fans said "I hope he does for Grimsby what he did for us - nothing"

And to cap it all even he said he didn't want to come at the first time of asking.
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 15, 2015, 9:41pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from barralad

Probably but then we are one of the biggest clubs in this league paying a top five budget so the players are well paid for this division so it is up to them to perform.

Posted by: moosey_club, February 15, 2015, 9:50pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from barralad

I think fans were hoping for us to get stronger around the transfer window, looking at yesterdays bench it would be hard to say we have a stronger squad for the run in.
We have in effect only added one additional member to the squad, in Palmer, as Jolley was supposed to be a nice addition to liven up the attacking options but with Neilsons departure he will now be more relied upon, meaning he needs to be more consistent than Neilson to improve us. Having said that i wouldnt condemn him on yesterdays performance alone, does not look match sharp and played a different role yesterday.
We have not had any real threat or attacking consistency from the wings all season which doesnt appear to have been rectified, 3 wingers on the books for two spots, hardly competition.
Having a fit Brown, Pitman and Palmer will improve the look of the squad but when will they be fit?

Posted by: chaos33, February 15, 2015, 9:50pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from grimsby pete
If Palmer is still injured for the Barnet game,

Should Hurst start with Hamish ?

Jolley did not work and Hannah keeps missing chances,

So lets see what Watson can do please Paul,

Another thing might be put LJL on the wing and play both Hamish and Palmer if fit,

Thoughts ?

All that really matters is what Hurst is likely to do, and he's more likely to wear a grass skirt on Saturday than move LJL to the wing and play 3 up front.
In all likelihood, he will do very little. You could argue the case for replacing or moving Clay, Arnold, Jolley, LJL, Mackreth but he probably won't. Hamish should probably be given a chance, as should McLaughlin, but they might get a few minutes if they're lucky. Palmer will be back in if fit, as will Brown, and if not...expect pretty much the same system and team I'd say.
Posted by: SamTheMariner, February 15, 2015, 10:15pm; Reply: 11
In my opinion the side would look a lot stronger with Aza and a fully firing Neilson in it. If those two had stayed we should have signed Palmer and left the other two at home. Personally I don't why everyone says "Hannah has lost it" or "Give Hannah a few games". Look at it. Missed 2 sitters in a week, scores but is offside, which is unacceptable, surely a professional footballer should be able to time their runs better. Lenny is probably a better finisher and he is stronger, links the play better, quicker, better in the air, holds the ball.up well, and scares defenders skinless. Pittman and Palmer are also better at everything than Hannah and Hamish looks better in the air and a cleverer footballer than Hannah. What is the point of him?
Posted by: SamTheMariner, February 15, 2015, 10:17pm; Reply: 12
If all are fit play,

McKeown

Magnay
Toto
Pearson
Robertson

MacKreth
Disley
Brown
Arnold

Lenny
Palmer

Bench: Parslow, McLaughlin, Jolley, Pittman, Watson.
Posted by: Maringer, February 15, 2015, 10:57pm; Reply: 13
Watson has certainly shown a few good touches in the brief time he has had on the pitch but, from what Hurst has said, they don't seem to think his fitness is up to the mark and he'll obviously be pretty inexperienced as regards the game in this country.

That said, you'd still think he ought to be given half an hour somewhere at some point to see how he does. Let's hope we're coasting at 3-0 up in a game before too long so he can be called on to take a chance!
Posted by: Abdul19, February 15, 2015, 11:02pm; Reply: 14
How long does it take to get fit though? He looked about as fit as your average bloke from the pub before the Guiseley game but that was nearly 4 months ago. Not having a reserve team (or not playing him in the trophy) probably doesn't help I suppose.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, February 16, 2015, 12:07pm; Reply: 15
Why sign players and very rarely play them? Baffles me!(confused1)
Posted by: DocTower, February 16, 2015, 12:27pm; Reply: 16
Loosing faith very rapidly  with it all . We all have ideas of who we would like to see and the formations to play , changing things at half time and when to bring subs on . However we aren't  the manager , but when it's so blindingly obvious to the majority fans I start questioning  my loyalty and sanity of to why I put myself through the ringer week in week out .
We don't know what goes on behind closed doors but ,  being a paying customer I just want value for money .  
Posted by: rancido, February 16, 2015, 1:51pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from SamTheMariner
In my opinion the side would look a lot stronger with Aza and a fully firing Neilson in it. If those two had stayed we should have signed Palmer and left the other two at home. Personally I don't why everyone says "Hannah has lost it" or "Give Hannah a few games". Look at it. Missed 2 sitters in a week, scores but is offside, which is unacceptable, surely a professional footballer should be able to time their runs better. Lenny is probably a better finisher and he is stronger, links the play better, quicker, better in the air, holds the ball.up well, and scares defenders skinless. Pittman and Palmer are also better at everything than Hannah and Hamish looks better in the air and a cleverer footballer than Hannah. What is the point of him?

Unfortunately we didn't see enough examples of " a fully firing Neilson ". Both he and Aza started to lose interest and that was nothing to do with selection but their own personal attitudes.
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 16, 2015, 2:13pm; Reply: 18
We have got to take advantage of Barnet being without Akinde,

We have to play 2 strikers, LJL will be one,

I would like the other to be Palmer but if he is unfit then Hamish,

Failing that start with Hannah and take him off at half time,

When  he has missed 3 easy chances and been offside 20 times, :o

Then bring Hamish on for the 2nd half.
Posted by: Maringer, February 16, 2015, 3:30pm; Reply: 19
I'd have thought LJL/Hannah will be the starting pairing, assuming that Palmer and Pittman aren't fit.

If that doesn't work out, it would be nice to see Watson getting 30 minutes or so, but that seems unlikely.
Posted by: oldun, February 16, 2015, 3:43pm; Reply: 20
I agree depending on how things go Hamish should get more time on the pitch. I know he was only on for a few mins on Sat, but he looked very keen, sharp and threatening to me. His match fitness will be below par I guess but then that will only improve with time out there. Whether Sat is the right game I do not know but the Telford game certainly is.
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 16, 2015, 4:03pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from oldun
I agree depending on how things go Hamish should get more time on the pitch. I know he was only on for a few mins on Sat, but he looked very keen, sharp and threatening to me. His match fitness will be below par I guess but then that will only improve with time out there. Whether Sat is the right game I do not know but the Telford game certainly is.

The same can be said about Jolley,

He has had no games for months and looks unfit and not match sharp,

He now has now played 3 games and hopefully we will see some improvement.

He should be getting there about now.
Posted by: Sigone, February 16, 2015, 4:46pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from grimsby pete

He now has now played 3 games and hopefully we will see some improvement.

He should be getting there about now.

I've heard it said by a few top strikers that it took them 6 games to get proper match fit.
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 16, 2015, 4:50pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Sigone

I've heard it said by a few top strikers that it took them 6 games to get proper match fit.

Oh well, he might be match fit come April then,

Just in time for the play offs.

If we are in them.
Posted by: Maringer, February 16, 2015, 4:51pm; Reply: 24
Judging by the game on Saturday, I don't think the issue with Jolley is fitness. He just looked badly lacking in confidence compared to the player who was a real handful against us for Newport a couple of years back. There were a couple of occasions where he received the ball with some space to run at their defence and just never tried to attack them.
Posted by: itsnotcoditshaddock, February 16, 2015, 5:09pm; Reply: 25
PH will probably go 4-5-1 at Barnet if Palmer isn't fit. Parslow in as a holding midfielder. Saves him the problem of who to pick upfront then.
Posted by: Garth, February 16, 2015, 5:41pm; Reply: 26
Hannah was the only forward that looked like scoring and he only played ten minutes, two chances came his way one he scooped over the bar and one was offside, you can't expect wonder's in ten minutes.
As for playing Hamish, no chance if you want to see him play go down to Boston next season and watch him alongside that other goal scorer he never gave a fair chance to
Posted by: Maringer, February 16, 2015, 6:09pm; Reply: 27
Oh gawd. Yet another Southwell mention.

Now, I realise he's still only a young lad, but for me, he never really fulfilled his potential at GTFC. He made over 40 League appearances (mostly as a sub), but never really forced home the goals that his early promise indicated might be there. He only scored a few goals in 4 seasons at the club.

I wish him well and he may yet make it at this level, but let's not forget he's playing against semi-pro defenders these days instead of professionals most weeks.
Posted by: Meza, February 16, 2015, 6:27pm; Reply: 28
How long is Hamish signed for
..i thought it was until the end of January.  I think its pretty clear that PH sees Hamish as a gap filler and will only be rarely used a backup to the backup players lol
Posted by: fiveallive, February 16, 2015, 6:52pm; Reply: 29
I would like to try Jolley up front with Watson, we keep playing John-Lewis all the time the only player who never gets dropped.
Posted by: barralad, February 16, 2015, 6:55pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from SamTheMariner

A tad unfair in that instance. I think Hannah had made his "run" for the ball before Hamish flicked it on which may well have been very well timed. (but shouldn't take anything from a really good flick on!)
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 16, 2015, 6:55pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Maringer
Oh gawd. Yet another Southwell mention.

Now, I realise he's still only a young lad, but for me, he never really fulfilled his potential at GTFC. He made over 40 League appearances (mostly as a sub), but never really forced home the goals that his early promise indicated might be there. He only scored a few goals in 4 seasons at the club.

I wish him well and he may yet make it at this level, but let's not forget he's playing against semi-pro defenders these days instead of professionals most weeks.

He made 9 starts in 4 seasons, look what's happened now he's been given a sustained opportunity.
Posted by: Quagmire, February 16, 2015, 7:10pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from MuddyWaters

He made 9 starts in 4 seasons, look what's happened now he's been given a sustained opportunity.

With a better goals per minute ratio than the likes of LJL.
Posted by: Tommy, February 16, 2015, 7:25pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from MuddyWaters

And around half of those were probably as a right winger too.
Posted by: Abdul19, February 16, 2015, 7:36pm; Reply: 34
http://www.thefishy.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?m-1399277652/s-all/

At the time the Fishy was awash with people wanting Southwell to stay
Posted by: Tommy, February 16, 2015, 7:44pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Abdul19

Always saw good attributes in him. Trouble is people want to see 17 year olds go into the first team and have a Rooney-like immediate impact. Doesn't happen very often at all in reality. Players are still developing and maturing at 17/18/19.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 16, 2015, 7:49pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Abdul19

Maybe everybody realised that Hurst wasn't going to give him a chance.
Posted by: Maringer, February 16, 2015, 8:17pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from MuddyWaters

In a lower division, against defenders who aren't mostly full-time professionals.
Posted by: Maringer, February 16, 2015, 8:18pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from Quagmire

With a better goals per minute ratio than the likes of LJL.

In a lower division, against defenders who aren't mostly full-time professionals.
Posted by: Quagmire, February 17, 2015, 6:02am; Reply: 39
Quoted from Maringer

When I said a better goals per minute ratio than the likes of LJL I meant last season when he was at Town, not after he'd moved on.
Posted by: barralad, February 17, 2015, 7:31am; Reply: 40
Quoted from Abdul19

THIS:-  Some short memories on here...
Posted by: Maringer, February 17, 2015, 7:55am; Reply: 41
Quoted from Quagmire

When I said a better goals per minute ratio than the likes of LJL I meant last season when he was at Town, not after he'd moved on.

Ah right. I misunderstood your point.

How about this one: In his minutes on the pitch, how many headers do you think he won in comparison to LJL? How many challenges do you think he faced from big defenders in comparison to LJL? How much space for other players did his efforts create?

You're comparing apples with oranges, I'm afraid.
Posted by: mariner91, February 17, 2015, 9:48am; Reply: 42
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Maybe everybody realised that Hurst wasn't going to give him a chance.

Or maybe hingsight is a wonderful thing. You yourself used to say on here that Southwell wasn't good enough and agreed he should be released. Only Tommy on that entire thread that Abdul put up said Southwell should be retained! It's all well and good people saying "Hurst messed up releasing him" but 99% of the people saying that would have done the exact same thing. The lad didn't tear up any trees when given chances and looked to not quite be up to it physically (in my eyes). Kudos to him for sticking at football after a set back and working hard and getting his rewards, hopefully he'll continue to improve. But would he have done so in our league if not given lots of chances and playing against a much higher standard of opposition? Possibly not. Leaving was, in my opinion, best for us and best for him.
Posted by: Quagmire, February 17, 2015, 10:24am; Reply: 43
Quoted from Maringer

Ah right. I misunderstood your point.

How about this one: In his minutes on the pitch, how many headers do you think he won in comparison to LJL? How many challenges do you think he faced from big defenders in comparison to LJL? How much space for other players did his efforts create?

You're comparing apples with oranges, I'm afraid.

I'm comparing goals per minute played against goals per minute played.

Posted by: Garth, February 17, 2015, 7:05pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Quagmire

I'm comparing goals per minute played against goals per minute played.

This

Posted by: Abdul19, February 17, 2015, 7:40pm; Reply: 45
If only LJL had played against a side 3 divisions below us in the Trophy!
Posted by: mariner91, February 18, 2015, 12:01am; Reply: 46
Quoted from Abdul19

Precisely. Ridiculous argument when half his goals came in a game against opposition who usually rub shoulders with the mighty Lincoln United.
Posted by: moosey_club, February 18, 2015, 3:59pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from Abdul19

(sniper)

Right between the eyes .. Love it.
Posted by: oldun, February 20, 2015, 12:05pm; Reply: 48
Tuesday night, Hamish scores his first goal for town. You read it here first.
Posted by: rancido, February 20, 2015, 1:00pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from mariner91

Or maybe hingsight is a wonderful thing. You yourself used to say on here that Southwell wasn't good enough and agreed he should be released. Only Tommy on that entire thread that Abdul put up said Southwell should be retained! It's all well and good people saying "Hurst messed up releasing him" but 99% of the people saying that would have done the exact same thing. The lad didn't tear up any trees when given chances and looked to not quite be up to it physically (in my eyes). Kudos to him for sticking at football after a set back and working hard and getting his rewards, hopefully he'll continue to improve. But would he have done so in our league if not given lots of chances and playing against a much higher standard of opposition? Possibly not. Leaving was, in my opinion, best for us and best for him.

I think this sums up the whole " Southwell question ". I think fans forget that we don't have a reserve team or the financial luxury to nurture a " good prospect " in the hope that he will come good. If a player shows outstanding ability at 17/18 then it could be worth a punt but I don't think Dayle was " outstanding ".
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 1:44pm