Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 12, 2015, 9:12am
According to today's telegraph we rebuffed an approach by Barnet for Scott Neilson during the transfer window, as we didn't want to sell him to a promotion rival.

It also confirmed (as Big Chris mentioned) that because he was released outside of the transfer window he cannot sign for another team at our level or above, only Conference North/South level or below.
Posted by: Garth, February 12, 2015, 9:20am; Reply: 1
That was his reason for wanting to leave I suppose,  could not get his own way
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, February 12, 2015, 9:35am; Reply: 2
good management if true
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 12, 2015, 11:17am; Reply: 3
We could see him next week then,

Cheering Barnet on  :-/
Posted by: Maringer, February 12, 2015, 12:11pm; Reply: 4
Anyone else think that Neilson might well have been in contact with Barnet himself (or perhaps his agent), trying to arrange this move?

I think we all knew he would be happier living back down south (and I was surprised when he re-signed for us at the start of this season), but I don't to think he was trying to jump ship at such an important stage of the season.

I dunno. Perhaps I'm just being paranoid, putting 2+2 together and getting 5.
Posted by: oldun, February 12, 2015, 12:18pm; Reply: 5
There was talk of this at the Barnet game, but most people said surely we would not sanction a move to such a rival.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, February 12, 2015, 12:30pm; Reply: 6
I think if you have less than 6 months on your contract you can approach and be approached by clubs. I might be wrong.

edit: yeah I'm wrong
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, February 12, 2015, 12:54pm; Reply: 7
Done it before when he jumped ship to join Luton !
Posted by: BIGChris, February 12, 2015, 1:02pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
Done it before when he jumped ship to join Luton !

He was on loan to us from Crawley and his loan expired didnt it? Luton approached Crawley to take him
Posted by: horsforthmariner, February 12, 2015, 1:39pm; Reply: 9
If we could have got a fee for  him I would have offloaded him to Barnet with a clause that he couldn't play against us.

Bit of extra cash and having watched Barnet a couple of times I don't think he's better than there wingers anyway.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, February 12, 2015, 1:47pm; Reply: 10
If I was Barnet, I'd be making offers to loads of players in teams that might challenge me for automatic promotion. Try and unsettle a few, with little actual intention of signing them.
Posted by: Maringer, February 12, 2015, 1:51pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from horsforthmariner
If we could have got a fee for  him I would have offloaded him to Barnet with a clause that he couldn't play against us.

Bit of extra cash and having watched Barnet a couple of times I don't think he's better than there wingers anyway.

I'm not entirely sure, but I seem to remember reading somethere that it isn't legal to have a clause stopping a former player from playing against you. You would have to do it as a "gentleman's agreement" type of thing.

Oh well, I'm sure Neilson will manage to get himself a team down south next season at Conference Premier level (or possibly even higher?). The question is, how tubby will he be when it comes to pre-season training after months without playing?  ;)
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 12, 2015, 5:49pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Maringer

Oh well, I'm sure Neilson will manage to get himself a team down south next season at Conference Premier level (or possibly even higher?). The question is, how tubby will he be when it comes to pre-season training after months without playing?  ;)

He can play this season just not in the conference.

Posted by: Tinymariner, February 12, 2015, 6:08pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
If I was Barnet, I'd be making offers to loads of players in teams that might challenge me for automatic promotion. Try and unsettle a few, with little actual intention of signing them.

Like Crawley and Luton did you mean!
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 12, 2015, 7:54pm; Reply: 14
Thankyou Scott. Favourite memory bring Kidderminster at home last season
Posted by: chaos33, February 12, 2015, 8:07pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Maringer

I'm not entirely sure, but I seem to remember reading somethere that it isn't legal to have a clause stopping a former player from playing against you. You would have to do it as a "gentleman's agreement" type of thing.

No, the question is...why should anyone care if he doesn't seem too bothered about it himself?

I resent the thread title too - Neilson to Barnet? No. Not Neilson to Barnet. He can't play in this league this season.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, February 13, 2015, 12:46am; Reply: 16
Quoted from Tinymariner

Like Crawley and Luton did you mean!

ha... well I doubt they're the first or the last
Posted by: Abdul19, February 13, 2015, 1:15am; Reply: 17
Didn't work for Luton though, they came about 8th!
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 10:59pm