Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: The Yard Dog, February 11, 2015, 12:46pm
According to their fans forum only sold 260 tickets for Saturday's game,.I know its all ticket for away fans, but that was are there clubs request.

They are expecting to bring 300-400

How many would we take to Bristol Rovers if we were 2nd against a side in 4th place and it was all ticket for away fans?

Posted by: RichMariner, February 11, 2015, 12:52pm; Reply: 1
By 'big' I assume you mean: Are they well supported for the size of the city and the position the club is in?

The fact that a Conference club can bring 250+ fans to BP for a match would suggest they're big in the context of this league.

If you're trying to determine whether Town are 'bigger' based on away attendances alone, then maybe.

But if Town and Rovers both made the Premier League, Rovers would undoubtedly be the bigger side.

As always, it comes down to context and is, to some degree, an impossible question to answer with any clarity.
Posted by: Garth, February 11, 2015, 1:02pm; Reply: 2
Not as big as City ;D
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 11, 2015, 1:23pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from RichMariner
By 'big' I assume you mean: Are they well supported for the size of the city and the position the club is in?

The fact that a Conference club can bring 250+ fans to BP for a match would suggest they're big in the context of this league.

If you're trying to determine whether Town are 'bigger' based on away attendances alone, then maybe.

But if Town and Rovers both made the Premier League, Rovers would undoubtedly be the bigger side.

As always, it comes down to context and is, to some degree, an impossible question to answer with any clarity.

It really depends what you're comparing. Currently, yes they are a bigger club than us. They have a higher average attendance and a higher away following and will have had for the past 10 years or so I would imagine.

However, if you're talking historically then we'll win every time having spent 12 season in the top flight of English football and reached 2 FA Cup Semi-Finals against Rovers who have only ever played as high as the 2nd tier.

Posted by: GrimRob, February 11, 2015, 1:35pm; Reply: 4
There are different factors to consider.

1. Bristol is a more attractive place to visit for our fans and combine with a weekend away or some other activity than Grimsby is for them.
2. Bristol fans on average probably live closer to Bristol then Grimsby fans do to Grimsby. How many Grimsby fans would make a 500 mile round trip or whatever it is?
3. Bristol has much better transport links than Grimsby. It's easy to get to from some of the most populated areas of the country.

I think you have to look at average home gate to give a true idea of a club's size
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 11, 2015, 1:36pm; Reply: 5
Probably what helps our away attendance compared to Roverseseses, is we've probably got a higher percentage of exiles. Bristol, bigger city and fairly close to other sizeable towns, with all the career opportunities that brings, richer town and in a richer area than GY, so less need for people to fly the nest in search of employment.
Posted by: Caesar, February 11, 2015, 4:17pm; Reply: 6
Think number of exiles is a very good point, I was chuffed to be able to go to the Rovers away game but it was actually easier to get to for me than a home game, doubly now my family have moved to Sunderland.  

Do feel the need to add, that think we were really daft to make it all ticket, apologies if this has been explained and justified before but think it would be better if we had a good crowd at Blundell Park and discouraging one of the bigger clubs in the conference from bringing a following is annoying.  
Posted by: grimps, February 11, 2015, 4:23pm; Reply: 7
I always used to wonder when we was in the Championship that certain clubs that used to get 20000 plus at home would not bring as many away supporters to us as we'd take to them.
Maybe this could have something to do with the state if Blundell park ? also lets face it Grimsby as a town dosnt have the nicest reputation, some people are a little scared to visit.
On the other hand it never stoppped us visiting some of the rougher clubs back in the day , Middlesboro , Stoke , Hull and Brum all had their away ends filled by us back in the day
Posted by: Paris Mariner, February 11, 2015, 4:32pm; Reply: 8
Yes, they are a big club.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, February 11, 2015, 4:43pm; Reply: 9
Making it "all ticket" for Rovers fans reduced their numbers. Poor decision.
Posted by: Abdul19, February 11, 2015, 4:58pm; Reply: 10
In the grand scheme of things, nowhere near being big.

In the Conference, obviously yes.
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 7:49am