Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: lukeo, February 9, 2015, 12:17pm
Wondered if you could help, been put on antibiotics but not really been told what it could be, symptoms:

constant coughing
bringing up orangey yellow flem
constant headache for 3 days
last 3 nights from 8ish whole body shivering uncontrollably
head burns up at night
waking up dripping with sweet
tight chest
tight throat

Online people are useless and give me about 20 things it could be
Posted by: cmackenzie4, February 9, 2015, 12:56pm; Reply: 1
I am no medical person but this sounds like the virus whats going about locally here in Grimsby mate, if so you could feel poorly for up to 6 weeks.

Hope you get diagnosed and recover ok soon.
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 9, 2015, 2:02pm; Reply: 2
Have you made a will yet ?

Only kidding, you have got a virus that might have given you an infection,

That's why the Doctor gave you the antibiotics,

You will be fine by Saturday go to the match and get some fresh air in your lungs,

Doctor Pete.
Posted by: Marinerz93, February 9, 2015, 5:53pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from lukeo
Wondered if you could help, been put on antibiotics but not really been told what it could be, symptoms:

constant coughing
head burns up at night
tight chest
tight throat

I rarely take medicine, I found rum can solve a lot of ailments, when I had that horrible flu I drank Wood's navy rum, a few shots and that crap comes straight off your lungs and down the sink and you don't even have to have a beard to drink it, although it helps with vapours (70cl - 57% vol)  ;D

[IMG]http://i58.tinypic.com/308jjfo.jpg[/IMG]
Posted by: mariner91, February 9, 2015, 10:51pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from lukeo

constant coughing
head burns up at night
tight chest
tight throat

The orangey yellow phlegm suggests some sort of chest infection, probably bacterial (hence the antibiotics prescribed). The tight throat and chest also suggest that it's some infection in your respiratory system. Shivering some times but waking up dripping with sweat is a fever which you will get with any sort of infection depending on the severity. The headache is probably from being dehydrated (in my opinion). Make sure you take a lot of fluids on board and take some paracetamol for the headache and make sure you take all the antibiotics, don't stop if the symptoms ease up, take the entire course. If you don't take the entire course, some of the bacteria will remain and they'll be the ones most resistant to the antibiotics, they'll then multiply and make you ill again but this time the antibiotics won't work. Hope you feel better soon. Oh and warm drinks can make you feel a bit better temporarily :).
Posted by: Maringer, February 10, 2015, 8:07am; Reply: 5
If you're no better after say 5 days of taking the antibiotics, go back to your doctor.

I caught pneumonia once when I was in my 20s and was given antibiotics but continued to get worse. The doctor came out to see me (yes, it was a few years ago now!) and doubled the dosage which did eventually sort me out.

If it's viral you can't do much about it but keep your fluids up and make sure you're warm enough in this still chilly weather.

No booze if you're on antibiotics! Alcohol doesn't stop them working per se, but depresses your immune system which has a similar effect.

With a bad throat, I always go with honey and lemon. Not sure if it has much more than a placebo effect, but it certainly seems to help!
Posted by: lukeo, February 10, 2015, 2:27pm; Reply: 6
cheers all. Slight improvement through today, going to work tomorrow and have 4 more days of antibiotics
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 10, 2015, 6:39pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from lukeo
cheers all. Slight improvement through today, going to work tomorrow and have 4 more days of antibiotics

That's the spirit, spread around the workforce. ;D
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 8:02am