Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, February 7, 2015, 10:55pm
........ I just can't get used to all those female commentators and reporters. Final Score today was more like the Final Straw. Not only a female presenter but every other game they went to for a report had a female reporter.

My fault I know for being a traditionalist and a misogynist as far as football is concerned but it just isn't the same game when you have a whole series of young lasses pretending to be expert commentators. Eye (or ear) candy and for what?

Rant over. ;)
Posted by: Grimal, February 7, 2015, 11:42pm; Reply: 1
........ I just can't get used to all those female commentators and reporters. Final Score today was more like the Final Straw. Not only a female presenter but every other game they went to for a report had a female reporter.

My fault I know for being a traditionalist and a misogynist as far as football is concerned but it just isn't the same game when you have a whole series of young lasses pretending to be expert commentators. Eye (or ear) candy and for what?

Rant over. ;)

Sorry Ron, but I would settle for any woman commentator over that prat that commentated our game at FGR today. Hurry back John where ever you are.

Posted by: MarinerWY, February 8, 2015, 2:59am; Reply: 2

My fault I know for being a traditionalist and a misogynist

Nailed it. Well at least you're self-aware, which has to be a start.
Posted by: pizzzza, February 8, 2015, 7:42am; Reply: 3

My fault I know for being a traditionalist and a misogynist as far as football is concerned

Don't worry, it doesn't make you a misogynist for simply having a preference. I prefer looking at pictures of naked women rather than men, doesn't mean I dislike men. In fact some of my best mates are men!
Posted by: GYinScuntland, February 8, 2015, 9:51am; Reply: 4

Rant over. ;)

Totally agree. They should all be at home getting the tea on.
Posted by: MarinerWY, February 8, 2015, 10:28am; Reply: 5
Quoted from pizzzza

Don't worry, it doesn't make you a misogynist for simply having a preference.

In this case, yes it does. A preference which is based on the sex of someone rather than their actual ability at the task in hand is misogynist. And assuming that female pundits are there to serve as "eye-candy" is most defintely misogynist as well.

The comparison to your sexual preferences is ridiculous. It doesn't suggest anyone is better or worse at a professional role because of their sex.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, February 8, 2015, 10:32am; Reply: 6
Quoted from MarinerWY

Nailed it. Well at least you're self-aware, which has to be a start.

But you are not. If you are going to quote me, please quote properly.

"My fault I know for being a traditionalist and a misogynist as far as football is concerned"

I rate Gabby Logan not because she has nice legs but because she is steeped in sport and football through her family. I rated Julie Welsh highly as a journalist because like me she too was a fan first and foremost and a knowledgable writer. The point is that the BBC is putting these girls into the frame because they are girls and not because they are any good. It is part of BBC policy to promote a PC agenda regardless of ability.

Posted by: MarinerWY, February 8, 2015, 11:24am; Reply: 7

But you are not. If you are going to quote me, please quote properly.

"My fault I know for being a traditionalist and a misogynist as far as football is concerned"

I rate Gabby Logan not because she has nice legs but because she is steeped in sport and football through her family. I rated Julie Welsh highly as a journalist because like me she too was a fan first and foremost and a knowledgable writer. The point is that the BBC is putting these girls into the frame because they are girls and not because they are any good. It is part of BBC policy to promote a PC agenda regardless of ability.

That's absolutely fair enough, but your orginal post seemed to me have a different tone to it and for that I interpreted it in that way, apologies if I misunderstood and took it the wrong way.

I too am very skeptical of "positive discrimination", I think it can often be actually be very counter productive and detrimental to genuine equality: the idea that merit and merit alone is what someone is judged or awarded a position on, and not their gender, age, colour or sexual orientation. I understand why some people advocate it after centuries of closed doors based on prejudices, but I can't help thinking it's like fighting fire with fire: in this case one form or discrimnation with another, albeit with noble intentions.
Posted by: forza ivano, February 8, 2015, 11:46am; Reply: 8
It's the screechy voices that have me reaching for the volume control
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, February 8, 2015, 12:30pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from MarinerWY

That's absolutely fair enough, but your orginal post seemed to me have a different tone to it and for that I interpreted it in that way, apologies if I misunderstood and took it the wrong way.

I too am very skeptical of "positive discrimination", I think it can often be actually be very counter productive and detrimental to genuine equality: the idea that merit and merit alone is what someone is judged or awarded a position on, and not their gender, age, colour or sexual orientation. I understand why some people advocate it after centuries of closed doors based on prejudices, but I can't help thinking it's like fighting fire with fire: in this case one form or discrimnation with another, albeit with noble intentions.

Thanks, no offence taken. We have a habit in this country of throwing out the baby with the bathwater don't we? No women in football broadcasting? OK, let's have a quota. Doesn't matter if they don't add anything to the game.

We did the same thing to crowd atmosphere by increasing the quota of prawn sandwiches. ;)
Posted by: ginnywings, February 8, 2015, 1:23pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from MarinerWY

In this case, yes it does. A preference which is based on the sex of someone rather than their actual ability at the task in hand is misogynist. And assuming that female pundits are there to serve as "eye-candy" is most defintely misogynist as well.

The comparison to your sexual preferences is ridiculous. It doesn't suggest anyone is better or worse at a professional role because of their sex.

It's not an assumption, of course they are there for "eye candy". Not denigrating their ability but the studio bosses choose them exactly for that purpose. If you believe otherwise, you are naive.
Posted by: pizzzza, February 8, 2015, 4:41pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from ginnywings

It's not an assumption, of course they are there for "eye candy". Not denigrating their ability but the studio bosses choose them exactly for that purpose. If you believe otherwise, you are naive.

Absolutely true, look at Sky Sports News and tell me that the girls on there are not chosen for their looks.
Posted by: mariner chopper, February 8, 2015, 5:05pm; Reply: 12
I don't think women commentators are up to par either...

However - I cannot stand Jonathan Pearce. Comes out with some ludicrous statements / opinions. Go back to Robot Wars. Waaaaay out his depth in a football press box!
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, February 8, 2015, 7:29pm; Reply: 13
If they are NOT chosen for their looks, on average, there would be the odd, cross-eyed ugly woman as a presenter.  Who would also be very knowledgeable on football.
Posted by: moosey_club, February 8, 2015, 10:41pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
If they are NOT chosen for their looks, on average, there would be the odd, cross-eyed ugly woman as a presenter.

A female Ian Dowie for instance ?  :)
Posted by: ginnywings, February 8, 2015, 11:00pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from moosey_club

A female Ian Dowie for instance ?  :)

Do you mind? I'm eating.
Posted by: kevikov, February 8, 2015, 11:16pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from ginnywings

Do you mind? I'm eating.

Not Ian Dowie I hope  ??)

Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 8:59pm