Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: forza ivano, February 7, 2015, 8:27pm
A game that summed up how awful non league football is.two of the best teams produced 90 minutes of dire football, mistake after mistake.win the ball, give the ball away.nice bit of skill then fall over your own feet.centre half duties consist of big tackles,big headers and big boots up the pitch.dog eat dog midfield. Draw was probably the ridht result but if Disley is going to give the ball straight to their centre forward for a nice one on one with five mins to go what else do you expect.hannah did well not to stray offside at all but failed miserably at the task he is paid to do.i.e. Score goals when one on one.not once but twice.
Can't even tell you who motm would be.they were all as inept as each other.arnold did well but magny was as poor as I've seen him.
A match which made me realise just how little enjoyment or entertainment there is at this level and how little fun I get from watching town these days.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, February 7, 2015, 8:53pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from forza ivano
A game that summed up how awful non league football is.two of the best teams produced 90 minutes of dire football, mistake after mistake.win the ball, give the ball away.nice bit of skill then fall over your own feet.centre half duties consist of big tackles,big headers and big boots up the pitch.dog eat dog midfield. Draw was probably the ridht result but if Disley is going to give the ball straight to their centre forward for a nice one on one with five mins to go what else do you expect.hannah did well not to stray offside at all but failed miserably at the task he is paid to do.i.e. Score goals when one on one.not once but twice.
Can't even tell you who motm would be.they were all as inept as each other.arnold did well but magny was as poor as I've seen him.
A match which made me realise just how little enjoyment or entertainment there is at this level and how little fun I get from watching town these days.

Could not have put it better myself.........
Posted by: barralad, February 7, 2015, 9:04pm; Reply: 2
Strange game. I cannot remember Macca having to make anything other than a single regulation save all game. Toto definitely at fault for the first...a non-event flick inside the six yard box for reasons only he knows. Back in it courtesy of a defenders bullet header. In his defence he was under tremendous pressure from Pearson. A decent amount of Town pressure in the second half without anyone having that goal touch and Disley gives the ball straight to their lad giving him time to pick his spot-game (virtually) over.

Toto was inconsistent throughout-a good tackle one minute then indecision the next. Cannot agree about Magnay thought he was his usual competent self.
Robertson did a reasonable job defensively but doesn't get forward anywhere nearly as often as the player he has replaced.
Neither Clay nor Disley really grabbed hold of midfield. Was disappointed with Jolley who seemed to be having trouble staying on his feet-in fact I'm not Mackreth's biggest fan but he did far more in his 20 minutes or so than Jolley in the rest of the time. Lenny was infuriating-brought one ball down superbly only to give it way straight after.
Hannah did superbly for his first effort only being denied by a fantastic save from Russell (who usually has a great game against us) but should have scored with his second-if not from the original but from the rebound-perhaps it is why he doesn't get that many starts.
Arnold made some very good runs and a couple of tackles!! His dead ball delivery and crossing was as good as I've seen him manage.
FGR are a decent enough club-we got a warm welcome in the bar before the game. Unfortunately the over-zealous stewarding of the Town fan who appeared to have committed the heinous crime of blowing up a beach ball somewhat spoilt the atmosphere....
Posted by: forza ivano, February 7, 2015, 9:07pm; Reply: 3
Magny was as equally to blame for their goal as toto.dont forget fgr also hit the post and Parkin put a speculative 25 yard lob just wide
Posted by: Wayno, February 7, 2015, 9:22pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

Could not have put it better myself.........

Its a far cry from when i supported them from the 60,s,seen some incredible matches!JF will die trying to get us out of this!with out him were f----d,and before you start screaming he got us in to this,He hurts about the issue!he wont turn his back on us. :B
Posted by: forza ivano, February 7, 2015, 9:34pm; Reply: 5
Ps to that lad who has to endure watching real betis every week in seventy degrees of sunshine, after that shocker today in freezing  weather , you really don't know how lucky you are
Posted by: BIGChris, February 7, 2015, 10:01pm; Reply: 6
Dull game and frankly the most we deserved was a point. We just didn't do enough.

In the 1st half Disley played very deep to try and stop balls into Parkins chest. This was fine but it meant we were a long way from The Shop & Zlatan and both of then looked off the pace. Too many players waited for the ball to come to them and invariably FGR got to the ball first. Very hesitant.

Could it have been in trying to stop Parkin we nullified our own threat?

Toto did make an error for the first goal but when it was pulled back Magnay flicked it against the shins of the on rushing midfielder and it rebounded into the bottom corner. I felt he should have attacked it and put his foot through it!

Equaliser was a bullet header.

Looked like a draw before Hannah's chances but once he failed with all 3 ( the first he made for himself with a good touch and turn) it fell to Disley to inexplicably play in Norwood for a calm finish. Not sure what the skipper was trying to do.

Arnold was a threat and some excellent crosses into the box 1st half and some junking runs 2nd. Mackreth gave us something when he came on but we didn't create much at all until Hannah's late chances.

I haven't listened to the post match interviews but I wasn't impressed with FGR nor GTFC.

I have seen the comments about the over zealous stewarding with the beach ball guy but after the game a town fan was approached by a steward for a 'chat', when he agreed he was taken back in the ground to be accused of misdemeanours and surrounded by 15 stewards. The gates were being shut behind him and only the appearance of a police officers saved him. These stewards are not the club stewards but it appears storm troopers brought in by agencies. Something needs to be done because more and more football fans are being targeted as cannon fodder. I know some fans can step out of line but there are ways of managing situations which don't include premeditated violence
Posted by: forza ivano, February 7, 2015, 10:09pm; Reply: 7
What baffled me was the lack of understanding between town players.it was if they had met for the first time in the changing room
Posted by: cardiffmariner, February 7, 2015, 10:13pm; Reply: 8
For those who weren't there, no need to read any further, the op has it spot on. First time I have seen town since their last away defeat. Then we were somewhat unlucky and looked decent, today was dire.
Posted by: GrimRob, February 7, 2015, 11:01pm; Reply: 9
Two terrible goals to concede and the defence had one or two other dicey moments when it could have been worse. Yes Hannah missed his chances but we didn't create enough to win the game. Strikers are always going to miss some good chances at any level, you just need to create enough of them to merit the win. Thought a draw would be a more fitting result.
Posted by: MarinerWY, February 8, 2015, 3:17am; Reply: 10
Quoted from forza ivano
Ps to that lad who has to endure watching real betis every week in seventy degrees of sunshine, after that shocker today in freezing  weather , you really don't know how lucky you are

How about you respond to my post in the initial thread mate? And no: personally I'm looking forward to watching Town, whatever the division they're in. The football is at a much poorer standard, yes. But 300 town fans can seem to create a much better atmosphere then 25,000 fans in a Spanish stadium: that goes for Sevilla as well, who arguably have an ever tamer support than Betis. I went to Sevilla vs. Betis which obviously had much more of an atmosphere... but I was also at Town vs. Scunny last season, both legs, and honestly you cannot compare, the excitement, emotion, atmosphere that surrounded Town Scunny made the Seville derby look like a very relaxed affair.

We might agree to disagree, but I posted a long response in the other thread adressing various points. In my opinion UK football culture is something special, having experienced both the UK and Spanish football cultures over a decent period of time. I'm also a Town fan... you can never replace emotional connections!

P.S.: Far from 70f degrees here at the moment mate, but still pretty good... can be 2-3 degrees c at times in the evening, but 18-odd in the sun in the day... can't complain!
Posted by: lukeo, February 8, 2015, 9:11am; Reply: 11
For what it's worth.
I was disappointed yesterday. Not about the result but about how we played. Both teams where poor and seemed to just try lump it up at every opportunity. From what i've read on here the past few weeks it got me excited to finally see a decent Grimsby side play. I have to say though I thought Arnold's deliveries into the box where fantastic. Clay and Disley worked hard and the centre backs seemed solid for the large majority of the game.
Hannah looked ok when he came on, created a good opportunity for himseld and the keeper pulled off a great save. Although 5 minutes later he should have scored.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, February 8, 2015, 9:39am; Reply: 12
more of the same, lump it up to LJLs head (he hardly a header all game but we persisted with this tactic.) Why take Ollie off for Hannah when LJL was totally ineffective for most of the game, Jolly is not a winger and I thought the back four had a decent game considering the size of their attacking players.
Wrong decisions all over the pitch and FGR midfield 1st to the ball nearly all the time. FGR only tested Macca once all game. A nothing display against a nothing team, anymore than one more defeat and its goodbye to any hope of finishing top. Glad I hadn't driven that far just for the game.
Posted by: Tommy, February 8, 2015, 10:06am; Reply: 13
Having seen the highlights, Magnay should be doing better for their 1st goal. Nsiala lets it go under his boot but then Magnay, unlike him tbf, just tries flicking the ball away when the scorer is charging in to prod it goalwards. Just making the point as Toto taking s lot of flack.

Don't think Disley could do much about their 2nd either. The ball came at him and he naturally tried to do something with it rather than let it run. Not the huge errors I was expecting to see after reading reports and criticisms on here and social media.

Hannah's two efforts looked like our only chances. Need to create more than that. His 1st looked a decent snapshot on the turn but his 2nd was a pitiful attempt really.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 8, 2015, 10:07am; Reply: 14
325 of us there but seemed a lot more
Posted by: lukeo, February 8, 2015, 11:00am; Reply: 15
I agree Woz, there must have been 500 odd. No way was there only 50 more than last season's mid week encounter.
Posted by: forza ivano, February 8, 2015, 11:51am; Reply: 16
Quoted from MarinerWY

How about you respond to my post in the initial thread mate? And no: personally I'm looking forward to watching Town, whatever the division they're in. The football is at a much poorer standard, yes. But 300 town fans can seem to create a much better atmosphere then 25,000 fans in a Spanish stadium: that goes for Sevilla as well, who arguably have an ever tamer support than Betis. I went to Sevilla vs. Betis which obviously had much more of an atmosphere... but I was also at Town vs. Scunny last season, both legs, and honestly you cannot compare, the excitement, emotion, atmosphere that surrounded Town Scunny made the Seville derby look like a very relaxed affair.

We might agree to disagree, but I posted a long response in the other thread adressing various points. In my opinion UK football culture is something special, having experienced both the UK and Spanish football cultures over a decent period of time. I'm also a Town fan... you can never replace emotional connections!

P.S.: Far from 70f degrees here at the moment mate, but still pretty good... can be 2-3 degrees c at times in the evening, but 18-odd in the sun in the day... can't complain!

Calmate, calmate! It was simply a jocular aside. Think at the hottest part of the day we might just have reached 3 degrees yesterday
Posted by: MarinerWY, February 8, 2015, 12:01pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from forza ivano

Calmate, calmate! It was simply a jocular aside. Think at the hottest part of the day we might just have reached 3 degrees yesterday

Sorry mate, had a few pints and was up for a debate (a friendly one like!)... to be fair forget the pints I'm always up for a good debate!

The winter here is quite tame, but one of the problems is all the hosues are built to deal with the extreme heat of the summer (it can reach 45 plus). So there's big rooms, no insulation, no carpets etc. and lots of air circulation throughout the house. So during the day it's a lot hotter outside the house than in, and during the night you'd barely notice if you opened the window to be honest.  So you do tend to feel the cold a bit more despite it not being that cold.

Brilliant city though! Spring and autumn is the time to come, in summer it becomes like a ghost town as everyone avoids the heat and/or goes on holiday.
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 8, 2015, 3:22pm; Reply: 18
Hardly a comment about Jolley, how did he do, the FGR fans on their forum seemed very glad to be rid of him.
Posted by: barralad, February 8, 2015, 3:45pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from arryarryarry
Hardly a comment about Jolley, how did he do, the FGR fans on their forum seemed very glad to be rid of him.

It's early days but he looks like a player without very much confidence to me. Showed a couple of decent touches but seemed to drift about as opposed to Mackreth (his replacement) who went for it with some purpose. Didn't notice the FGR fans giving him much stick either...
Posted by: lobsterpot, February 8, 2015, 3:47pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from arryarryarry

As i said to Big Chris after the game, i was still waiting for us to bring him on!

Posted by: forza ivano, February 8, 2015, 4:12pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from MarinerWY

Sorry mate, had a few pints and was up for a debate (a friendly one like!)... to be fair forget the pints I'm always up for a good debate!

The winter here is quite tame, but one of the problems is all the hosues are built to deal with the extreme heat of the summer (it can reach 45 plus). So there's big rooms, no insulation, no carpets etc. and lots of air circulation throughout the house. So during the day it's a lot hotter outside the house than in, and during the night you'd barely notice if you opened the window to be honest.  So you do tend to feel the cold a bit more despite it not being that cold.

Brilliant city though! Spring and autumn is the time to come, in summer it becomes like a ghost town as everyone avoids the heat and/or goes on holiday.

Been to sevilla a couple of times.very nice and some excellent tapas bars.also done Jerez and Cadiz down that way as well which are also well worth a visit
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, February 8, 2015, 4:23pm; Reply: 22
Jolley did ok, more game time will be good for him, showed good signs IMO.

But Arnold showed some great touches and skill in second half and looked our main threat
Posted by: oldun, February 8, 2015, 5:08pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Jolley did ok, more game time will be good for him, showed good signs IMO.

But Arnold showed some great touches and skill in second half and looked our main threat

Yes and a few games ago he was getting stick on here. Remember, Jolley has not played since mid November until he joined Town so will take time to get up to speed. We need him firing pretty soon though.
Posted by: wodewick, February 8, 2015, 6:16pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from forza ivano

Best sentence I have read to sum up the last five years.
Posted by: GrimExile, February 8, 2015, 6:58pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
325 of us there but seemed a lot more

Totally agree! I thought there was at least 500.
Posted by: BIGChris, February 8, 2015, 8:22pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from GrimExile

Totally agree! I thought there was at least 500.

I thought 325 was about right. Sparsely populated at the far end of the stand as evidenced on the highlights
Posted by: gobby, February 8, 2015, 10:54pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from BIGChris

I thought 325324 was about right. Sparsely populated at the far end of the stand as evidenced on the highlights

Corrected for you Chris, after 1 was asked nicely to leave. 8)
UTMM

Posted by: barralad, February 8, 2015, 11:12pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from BIGChris

I thought 325 was about right. Sparsely populated at the far end of the stand as evidenced on the highlights

It was only "sparse" because that was where the dieters congregated.....
Posted by: BIGChris, February 9, 2015, 6:32am; Reply: 29
Quoted from barralad

It was only "sparse" because that was where the dieters congregated.....

I'd eaten the others outside
Print page generated: April 23, 2024, 7:17pm