Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: jimgtfc, February 7, 2015, 5:04pm
Thought I'd save all the idiots time by starting the thread for them.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 7, 2015, 5:05pm; Reply: 1
;D
Disappointing today but our away record is excellent and FGR are in good form now. Had to give them a helping hand though. They didn't sound that threatening without our help.

Annoying.
Posted by: grimps, February 7, 2015, 5:08pm; Reply: 2
Too late now , anything less than a win at Wembley in May and he'll be gone  ;)
Posted by: chaos33, February 7, 2015, 5:09pm; Reply: 3
Got ourselves beat. It happens but we can't afford to do that, especially with Barnet and Brizzle both winning.

I don't really expect us to challenge for the title so can't be too surprised or downhearted.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 7, 2015, 5:18pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from chaos33
Got ourselves beat. It happens but we can't afford to do that, especially with Barnet and Brizzle both winning.

I don't really expect us to challenge for the title so can't be too surprised or downhearted.

Agreed. It's been about the play offs for a long time now IMO. Our hope is that we finally have enough firepower to negotiate the three games.
Posted by: mariner tommy, February 7, 2015, 5:21pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from jimgtfc

Would you give an arsonist a box of matches to play with ?

You have.

I really do despair of this forum sometimes. It's only the first time we've lost in the league since New Years Day.

UTM
Posted by: cmackenzie4, February 7, 2015, 5:24pm; Reply: 6
The title was always going to be a long shot but we now need to ensure we finish in the playoffs, I think we will end up finishing 3rd or 4th.

From the evidence of the Barnet game and Eastleigh game it does show that we are a decent team and are hard to beat (on our day)

I would feel more confident in this seasons playoffs with the team we have than last seasons team in the playoffs.
Posted by: chaos33, February 7, 2015, 5:27pm; Reply: 7
I hope so mate. I think I agree
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, February 7, 2015, 5:36pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from cmackenzie4
The title was always going to be a long shot but we now need to ensure we finish in the playoffs, I think we will end up finishing 3rd or 4th.

From the evidence of the Barnet game and Eastleigh game it does show that we are a decent team and are hard to beat (on our day)

I would feel more confident in this seasons playoffs with the team we have than last seasons team in the playoffs.

If that is the case come the end of the season Chris I hope this time we actually do go for third and not just settle for fourth like we definitely did last season

I really do believe by finishing third , so going to Gateshead first and then having them at home in the second leg, they'd have been there for the taking

So this time around, if the play offs it is, given our away form I would think we could go anywhere confidently in the first leg and then bring the house down when we get back to BP with whoever it might be
Posted by: ginnywings, February 7, 2015, 5:51pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from mariner tommy

Would you give an arsonist a box of matches to play with ?

You have.

I really do despair of this forum sometimes. It's only the first time we've lost in the league since New Years Day.

UTM

I think the phrase is "lighten up". It was clearly tongue in cheek.
Posted by: Abdul19, February 7, 2015, 5:53pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from ginnywings

I think the phrase is "lighten up".

Lighten up. Arsonist. Very good ;)
Posted by: grimps, February 7, 2015, 5:55pm; Reply: 11
Lets hope Barnet and Bristol have to go hammer and tongs for the title all the way to the last game , this could result in one of them having a few injury's suspensions ect.Hopefully one or two of the teams below us will do the same trying to get in the play offs.
If we can qualify for the play off with two or three games to spare we could have a rested team with no suspensions.

Just trying to be positive  :o
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, February 7, 2015, 5:57pm; Reply: 12
Don't think the break did us any favours when your on a run the games can't come fast enough tough month lets see we are at the end of it.
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 7, 2015, 7:59pm; Reply: 13
You have to buy your way out of the conference, and let's face it our hairs on the back of your neck signing is a FGR reject
Posted by: forza ivano, February 7, 2015, 8:40pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

If that is the case come the end of the season Chris I hope this time we actually do go for third and not just settle for fourth like we definitely did last season

I really do believe by finishing third , so going to Gateshead first and then having them at home in the second leg, they'd have been there for the taking

So this time around, if the play offs it is, given our away form I would think we could go anywhere confidently in the first leg and then bring the house down when we get back to BP with whoever it might be

Suspect more realistic would be to hold them to draw or narrow defeat away and then fail miserably in front of a packed n passionate bp. That's the way it's always been hasn't it?
Posted by: Caesar, February 7, 2015, 9:04pm; Reply: 15
was dreading coming onto the Fishy for threads like this, so pleased tongue is firmly in cheek from OP!

Annoyed at myself really for hoping for the title, knew it was a long shot and we have made it hard for ourselves with inconsistent results early in the season and over new year but it is so easy to get carried away. Knew in reality I have to hope for the playoffs, and Hurst has shown that we can beat anyone on our day, hope the next 2 weeks give us some better days! :)

UTM
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 7, 2015, 10:27pm; Reply: 16
I can't comment on today's game as unfortunately I had other matters to deal with so couldn't go, all I will say is from the start of the season I never thought we were good enough to win the league and listening to Paul Hurst's after match interview whether he ever did he sounds now like he doesn't think we will.

To catch Barnet we need a winning run of 6 or 7 games on the trot but I don't think we have that in us. Certainly failure to win the next four and anyone on here still thinking it is possible must give up that thought.

We are looking a good bet for the play-offs but we still have to beat those just below us or there is still a possibility that we may yet be overtaken.

As for the title of the thread, certainly failure to get a play-off spot and he will be gone, even if we get there but fail in the play-offs he will likely be an ex GTFC manager.
Posted by: easypeersy, February 7, 2015, 10:57pm; Reply: 17
Very disappointing result today.
I can look back at about six games or so that we could and should've won this season.
Too many silly goals let in and not attack minded football. It was a pleasure to watch the team beatingbBarnetband Eastleigh recently.
Such a shame we slipped up,again.
I do believe we have the grit and determination to get our spot in the playoffs.
Then it is again a lottery.
Can we do it this time?
Posted by: Abdul19, February 7, 2015, 11:07pm; Reply: 18
The playoffs aren't a lottery, they're cup ties.
Posted by: GrimRob, February 7, 2015, 11:22pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Abdul19
The playoffs aren't a lottery, they're cup ties.

That's an oxymoron. Any match between two closely contested teams (which play-off opponents clearly are) is a coin toss over two legs. Today's game, a possible play-off match could easily have been a home win, draw or away win on any given day.
Posted by: TAGG, February 7, 2015, 11:33pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from jimgtfc

Why waste your time being stupid because he will be gone when we fail yet again to get promotion via the playoffs
Posted by: Abdul19, February 7, 2015, 11:36pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from GrimRob

That's an oxymoron. Any match between two closely contested teams (which play-off opponents clearly are) is a coin toss over two legs. Today's game, a possible play-off match could easily have been a home win, draw or away win on any given day.

I'm not sure it is. Why not do away with the whole 180 minute semi final and just toss a coin?! (A 'coin toss' or 'lottery' implies pure luck, something the 11 players on the pitch plus manager would have no control over. Which is nonsense!)

FGR won today because they scored more goals than us. Is it luck that Norwood scored whilst Hannnah didn't?
Posted by: MarinerWY, February 8, 2015, 3:06am; Reply: 22
Quoted from GrimRob

Rubbish. That would effectively destroy any point or purpose in competettive sport. Just
like any other game, a play-off is a contest of who has more ability and mental aptitude to win that competition. I see no difference in saying "that play-off is a lottery" to saying "any football game is a lottery" : it isn't, if it were then North Ferriby beating Chelsea would have just the same statistical probability as the contrary.
Posted by: GrimRob, February 8, 2015, 12:50pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from MarinerWY

Rubbish. That would effectively destroy any point or purpose in competettive sport. Just
like any other game, a play-off is a contest of who has more ability and mental aptitude to win that competition. I see no difference in saying "that play-off is a lottery" to saying "any football game is a lottery" : it isn't, if it were then North Ferriby beating Chelsea would have just the same statistical probability as the contrary.

You are misunderstanding my point. When the two teams are of approximately the same strength they are both almost equally likely to win in a two-legged match where any home advantage is cancelled out. You may kid yourself that's its down to tactics, ability and aptitude but chance plays the biggest part.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 8, 2015, 7:47pm; Reply: 24
Problem is rob, we haven't "gone for it" in the home legs
Posted by: Abdul19, February 8, 2015, 8:16pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Problem is rob, we haven't "gone for it" in the home legs

What's the point? The result is pre-determined in the stars anyway ;)
Posted by: pontoonlew, February 8, 2015, 8:45pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from GrimRob

Calling the game a coin toss is an absolute load of balderdash, over two legs the better side almost always wins. Our tactics in the away game against Gateshead and the away game at Newport were absolutely unforgiveable, especially Gateshead. You can't even blame the Nielson sending off, because we were miles better afterwards. There was no lottery about it, we were architects of our own downfall.
Posted by: barralad, February 8, 2015, 11:22pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from pontoonlew

Calling the game a coin toss is an absolute load of balderdash, over two legs the better side almost always wins. Our tactics in the away game against Gateshead and the away game at Newport were absolutely unforgiveable, especially Gateshead. You can't even blame the Nielson sending off, because we were miles better afterwards. There was no lottery about it, we were architects of our own downfall.

We were far and away the better side at home to Gateshead despite the scoreline. We were better for about five minutes after Neilson was sent off in the away leg....Don't let the truth get in the way of a veiled dig at Hurst....

From what I remember of the Newport game at B.P. their player Pipe (who incidentally played yesterday for FGR) ran the show but Newport nicked the result with a very late goal
Posted by: ginnywings, February 8, 2015, 11:29pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from barralad

We were far and away the better side at home to Gateshead despite the scoreline. We were better for about five minutes after Neilson was sent off in the away leg....Don't let the truth get in the way of a veiled dig at Hurst....

From what I remember of the Newport game at B.P. their player Pipe (who incidentally played yesterday for FGR) ran the show but Newport nicked the result with a very late goal

From a free kick given the wrong way. We were terrible at Newport though.
Posted by: pontoonlew, February 8, 2015, 11:32pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from barralad

In relation to Gateshead, we changed tactics in the second half of the home leg we pressed much higher up the pitch and Gateshead were all at sea. So we went to Gateshead and used the same tactics that we struggled with in the first half. It was only after Neilson went off we had to push at Gateshead again and we looked better. No surprise we pushed at them in the away game this season and tonked them...

I was talking about the away Newport game. In which we were behind yet somehow decided to sit back and barely create a single chance.

It's over now though, the point is it's far from a lottery.
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 8:42am