Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: ginnywings, February 4, 2015, 9:13pm
Can someone shove a flipping sock in his gob?

Had to stop watching the game because of him. Jeez man, shut the intercourse up.
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 4, 2015, 9:22pm; Reply: 1
Great game though, grandstand finish with Bolton 1 - 0 up but down to 10 men
Posted by: ginnywings, February 4, 2015, 9:58pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from promotion plaice
Great game though, grandstand finish with Bolton 1 - 0 up but down to 10 men

Wouldn't know, switched off after the penalty.  :-/
Posted by: LH, February 4, 2015, 10:04pm; Reply: 3
A couple of good goals win it for Liverpool, who could have had a few more.
Posted by: DNMariner, February 4, 2015, 10:46pm; Reply: 4
The backlash on Twitter seems to indicate that Bolton fans feel a familiar face is to blame for the loss: https://twitter.com/search?q=liam%20trotter&src=typd
Posted by: bobbyturtle, February 4, 2015, 10:52pm; Reply: 5
Phil Neville does my head in too ??)
Posted by: Tommy, February 4, 2015, 11:10pm; Reply: 6
I think Phil only got the gig as a pundit with BBC because of the huge success of Gary on Sky.

He's not in the same league as a pundit (or commentator) but I get the feeling the Beeb took a chance on him hoping he'd be similar to Gary.
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 4, 2015, 11:21pm; Reply: 7
Although i like the guy i struggle with Jermaine Jenas as a tv pundit, he seems to state the obvious and just feed's off the other pundits.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 4, 2015, 11:28pm; Reply: 8
I'm still gobsmacked about him having a go at Rosicky for "over-exaggerating" when he threw a massive dummy to the opposition defence by looking one way and playing the ball the other. Neville seemed to think it was cocky and said if he did it in training when he was around, he would have smashed him with a tackle. Yeah Phil, if you got near him you might, you Hermann Munster looking fooker.

Christ, no wonder England never win fook all.
Posted by: Maringer, February 5, 2015, 7:00am; Reply: 9
Whenever I think of Phil Neville, I always remember our early departure from Euro 2000 after he needlessly gave away a stupid last-minute penalty to send the Romanians through. We might not have played very well that tournament but it was just rubbish play from him so I've always thought he was a pillock. The recent revelations that he doesn't even know how to make a cup of instant coffee have done nothing to disabuse me of this notion! Pillock.

As for Jenas, he's just one of the latest crop of pundits to come through who have absolutely nothing of interest to say about anything. A Spurs fan I know hated Jenas so much when he was playing for Spurs that he refused to call him by name and only ever referred to him as "Number 8"!
Posted by: biggles9999, February 5, 2015, 9:04am; Reply: 10
Neville's best comment last night was:

'Its hard when you go down to 10 men as your not just doing your own work, you end up doing the work of 2 or 3 others as well.'

Obviously failed Maths as well as Home Ec.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 5, 2015, 9:41am; Reply: 11
It seems the check list for BBC punitry is as follows:-

Are you boring-tick

Can you state the obvious-tick

Will you annoy the viewers-tick

Have you got some extremely loud shirts-tick

Don't even get me started on Robbie Savage. You have to ask yourselves why they want to do it in the first place. They certainly don't need the money. Best one recently was Jimmy Bullard, he looked drunk or stoned or both and Gary Lineker was getting really nervous. Funny as intercourse.
Posted by: RoboCod, February 5, 2015, 10:40am; Reply: 12
I like Danny Murphy myself, but you have to wonder if its his lack of excitable, gasping cliche-ridden commentary that demotes him to just the half time chat. The majority of the viewing public sadly want this Robbie Savage type rubbish as it's safe and understandable at a Fifa Soccer-level.
Posted by: biggles9999, February 5, 2015, 11:05am; Reply: 13
Quoted from RoboCod
I like Danny Murphy myself, but you have to wonder if its his lack of excitable, gasping cliche-ridden commentary that demotes him to just the half time chat. The majority of the viewing public sadly want this Robbie Savage type rubbish as it's safe and understandable at a Fifa Soccer-level.

I have heard Murphy cover a few games as the co-commentator.

Savage is by the far the worst of a bad bunch mind. Loud, brash and extremely patronising to lower league teams in the game I saw him cover in the FA Cup 1st Round.

Sometimes I do wonder if they would be better by getting some people considered to be knowledgeable, rather than just former players. There are plenty of people out there like Michael Cox who demonstrate an excellent understanding of the tactical side of the game, but are relegated to the odd article while people like Savage, Shearer and others spout twaddle.
Posted by: BIGChris, February 5, 2015, 11:17am; Reply: 14
Quoted from RoboCod

I agree about Murphy, he is one of the more insightful summarisers but is voice isnt always as enthralling as others/ Phil Neville at times last night sounded like Attenborough finding the eggs of a long lost ooh my goolie bird!
Posted by: RoboCod, February 5, 2015, 11:22am; Reply: 15
Quoted from biggles9999

I have heard Murphy cover a few games as the co-commentator.

Yeah, I heard him co-commentating without realising who it was in the World Cup a few times and really enjoyed his knowledge. With all this fibre optic/ red button stuff they ought to give us 2 or 3 differing commentary channels.
Posted by: devon mariner, February 5, 2015, 1:56pm; Reply: 16
I would also like to add my two pennorth by nominating Andy Townsend who is "the expert summariser" when England games are shown on ITV.  Along with Adrian "what did he ever do" Chiles as 2 of the worst commentators in the world on football.  I believe their adjoined knowledge of football could be written in capitals on the back of a postage stamp. They are a pair of (3rd) rate tossers.
Posted by: Maringer, February 5, 2015, 2:20pm; Reply: 17
Chiles was recently given the heave-ho by ITV sport, I believe. Unceremoniously dropped from all their football coverage though I seem to think he's still under contract with them? Wonder who he's drunk off for that to happen? To be fair to him, he was never a commentator, just a presenter and wasn't quite as annoying as some of the other choices.

I think I'm right in saying that Townsend is on his way out from doing the England coverage as well? Thank intercourse for that, is all I can say. The man's punditry has a habit of mixing inanity with utter nonsense - quite how he manages this, I don't know.
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 5, 2015, 4:28pm; Reply: 18
In the good old days we just had a commentator ,

No need for pundits.

We all know what football is all about, so why do we need someone on loads of money telling us what we have just seen,

When there is a live game on TV, I switch on just before K.O.,

AND

Switch off after the final whistle.
Posted by: gary_elton, February 5, 2015, 4:30pm; Reply: 19
unless it's Town , of course.....  ;)
Posted by: gary_elton, February 5, 2015, 4:31pm; Reply: 20
Gary Lineker is now as useful as a good fart in a hurricane...  MoTD needs a damned good clear out
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 5, 2015, 4:37pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from gary_elton
unless it's Town , of course.....  ;)

Of course  8)
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 5, 2015, 5:05pm; Reply: 22
Danny Murphy and t'other Neville are as good as any IMHO.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, February 5, 2015, 5:32pm; Reply: 23
Phil Neville is to commentating what Phil Neville is to classy left backs.
Posted by: mimma, February 5, 2015, 8:42pm; Reply: 24
The commentators all have "Motson" syndrome, i.e they have to demonstrate their encyclopaedic knowledge to the watching masses who have never seen a game of football before.

John Helm used to be a good commentator, but have you noticed how he has a list of useless facts & drivel that he has to tell us before he actually starts to commentate, usually about 15 minutes worth.

Just tell us who has the bloody ball FFS, I'm not interested in listening to all this drivel that they deem to be so important that they have to tell us over watching the game.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, February 5, 2015, 8:53pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from mimma
The commentators all have "Motson" syndrome, i.e they have to demonstrate their encyclopaedic knowledge to the watching masses who have never seen a game of football before.

John Helm used to be a good commentator, but have you noticed how he has a list of useless facts & drivel that he has to tell us before he actually starts to commentate, usually about 15 minutes worth.

Just tell us who has the bloody ball FFS, I'm not interested in listening to all this drivel that they deem to be so important that they have to tell us over watching the game.

They commentate as though the viewer is watching on the radio.

Turn the volume off, that's what I do. Put subtitles on if you want a laugh.
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 5, 2015, 9:11pm; Reply: 26
The most annoying commentator/pundit for me is Jamie Carragher. Thank God for the mute button when he's on.
Posted by: Abdul19, February 5, 2015, 9:42pm; Reply: 27
I quite like Carragher, although he does lose a couple of points for being the most Scouse man on earth.
Posted by: Maringer, February 5, 2015, 10:07pm; Reply: 28
The worst (and I mean worst) commentator is Peter Fecking Drury. He just talks endless superlatives about the famous players on the field when they do something even mildly decent. Painful to listen to.
Posted by: Meza, February 6, 2015, 7:48am; Reply: 29
Not so much a commentator but as been on MoTD is Mark Lawrence every time he's on he's mr doom un gloom....cheer up FFS!
Posted by: RichMariner, February 6, 2015, 1:40pm; Reply: 30
The key to becoming a good football commentator on TV is to know when not to talk.

Commentators are so similar on the BBC (beyond Motty, obviously) that I find it difficult to tell them apart. They're all clones that talk almost exclusively in clichés.

As for the pundits, well, I don't get it. MOTD have this rotation policy and all of them are bang average (to poor).

The BBC need to do something about this. Not every ex-Premier League footballer makes a good pundit. I hate it when they also try to squeeze in existing players - like they did with Vincent Kompany that time. And then Russell Brand pops up. What's that all about?

Sol Campbell appeared on the show once and spent the whole time looking like he'd rather be anywhere but on the telly.

Robbie Fowler has one of the most limited vocabularies and begins every sentence with 'For me', and it winds me right up.

I'm convinced Phil Neville isn't all there, if you know what I mean. He can't be. Did anyone see him on that celebrity edition of Pointless? Mark Chapman looked like he could've swung for him.

Mark Chapman I like, by the way. He seems a decent presenter who asks proper questions of the pundits. He doesn't let them get away with saying bland trash.

We're in serious need of a couple of genuinely insightful pundits on the BBC.
Posted by: Abdul19, February 6, 2015, 5:33pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from RichMariner

Robbie Fowler has one of the most limited vocabularies and begins every sentence with 'For me', and it winds me right up.

For me, that's one one of the most annoying things on tv/radio/life.

I mean, what's the fucking point? You're the one speaking, so obviously it's "for me"!

And Fowler's by no means the only one who does this!

I also agree with you about Chappers, seems to be able to perfectly mix the serious stuff with the 'bantz'.
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 6, 2015, 6:45pm; Reply: 32
Peter Beagrie needs a smack in the chops too!
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, February 6, 2015, 6:57pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from RichMariner
The key to becoming a good football commentator on TV is to know when not to talk.

As for the pundits, well, I don't get it. MOTD have this rotation policy and all of them are bang average (to poor).

Completely agree. Michael Owen is as bad on BT Sport. He comments on absolutely every passage of play, he pretty well talks for the whole match.

And the pundits in general are terrible. Only Gary Neville & Carragher are an enjoyable watch.
Posted by: Maringer, February 6, 2015, 9:20pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from Les Brechin
Peter Beagrie needs a smack in the chops too!

And a kick in the nuts?  :)
Posted by: bobbyturtle, February 6, 2015, 10:19pm; Reply: 35
Dislike Andy Townsend commentating also
Posted by: mimma, February 6, 2015, 11:01pm; Reply: 36
What this thread proves to me is how everyone is in agreement about the commentary & the so called "expert" summarisers.

In fact it is the only thread on the Fishy in which there is total agreement, a first!

Isn't it about time we fans told the TV companies what we want to hear during a game, instead of some TV executive who has never been to a game deciding what he wants to inflict on us.

Football fans around the country also complain long & hard, yet nothing ever gets done, surly there must be something that we can do to stop this constant drivel that blights the beautiful game.
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 7, 2015, 1:20am; Reply: 37
Quoted from Abdul19

For me, that's one one of the most annoying things on tv/radio/life.

I mean, what's the fucking point? You're the one speaking, so obviously it's "for me"!

And Fowler's by no means the only one who does this!

I also agree with you about Chappers, seems to be able to perfectly mix the serious stuff with the 'bantz'.

I would have to say and this is personally speaking, that for me I agree.

Posted by: Abdul19, February 7, 2015, 2:56am; Reply: 38
Quoted from arryarryarry

I would have to say and this is personally speaking, that for me I agree.

;D

Do you know what also gets on my mammaries? For me it's pundits who refer to players in some sort of plural grouping and then list all of them anyway. You know, your Lawrensons, your Shearers, your Murphys, your Jenases, your Carraghers etc etc.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, February 7, 2015, 9:06am; Reply: 39
Owens monophonic tones drive me mad must be the most boring voice ever other than William Haig. Why do ex footballers get those jobs they have no commentary skills what so ever.

David Colman, Harry Carpenter,Jonathan Pearce(robot wars fame) all had/have emotion as well as vast knowledge of their jobs, they learned  their trade properly  not some over paid ex footballer wanabe with no communication skills.  
Posted by: Maringer, February 7, 2015, 9:28am; Reply: 40
I remember when Jonathan Pearce came on the scene, he was roundly criticised for being too excitable.

If you listen to the real olden-day commentators such as Wolstenholme, they actually describe what is happening on the pitch most of the time i.e. X passes the ball to Y who controls and lays it off to Z etc etc.

Whether or not this was because the TV commentary was also to be used for a radio transmission, I don't know.

I do know that the radio commentators these days don't seem to do the same - you rarely have a clue what has occurred when a shot has gone close or there is a chance until they explain themselves after the event!
Posted by: LH, February 7, 2015, 9:44am; Reply: 41
I can't stand Jonathan Pearce. At the World Cup I was expecting him to do the "GOLGOLGOLGOLGOLGOOOOOOOL!!!!" thing as seen on South American football.
Posted by: Abdul19, February 7, 2015, 9:51am; Reply: 42
I did like the bit where he lost the plot when the goal line technology was being used.
Posted by: LH, February 7, 2015, 10:00am; Reply: 43
Yeah it seemed obvious to everyone else watching what was happening but unfortunately he had a microphone and was broadcasting to the nation at the time. I hadn't heard him that confused since Sir Killalot started attacking Matilda on Robot Wars.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 7, 2015, 11:09am; Reply: 44
Quoted from mimma
What this thread proves to me is how everyone is in agreement about the commentary & the so called "expert" summarisers.

In fact it is the only thread on the Fishy in which there is total agreement, a first!

Isn't it about time we fans told the TV companies what we want to hear during a game, instead of some TV executive who has never been to a game deciding what he wants to inflict on us.

Football fans around the country also complain long & hard, yet nothing ever gets done, surly there must be something that we can do to stop this constant drivel that blights the beautiful game.

I've already taken my own action and now watch footy on NBC Sports. They have some familiar faces (and voices) and sometimes you have to listen to some Yank in the studio talking about OFFence, DEfence and overtime. but i enjoy it more in general.

Commentator is Arlo White ( who they amusingly call the play by play voice) usually with Lee Dixon or Graeme Le Saux and they are called (also amusingly), colour commentators or game analysts

Studio duties are hosted by Rebecca Lowe, with Robbie Earle and Robbie Mustoe as studio analysts and the "legendary" Gary Lineker as a special contributor, whatever the fook that means.

The coverage is first class and they have more content than Sky or BT. It is also sometimes very amusing to see the American slant on things but they seem to have decided to go with a mostly British front end now.
Posted by: mimma, February 7, 2015, 12:00pm; Reply: 45
Sometimes Tondour starts rabbiting then breaks off "there's a chance here!!" but forgets to mention to who as he describes the goalmouth action, we are left wondering if it's Town or not.

I also hate it when he tells us that Town are playing from left to right, really useful on a radio commentary.

As I stated earlier, every football fan hates the commentary & "expert" analysis, yet it still gets rammed down our throats..

Could we start a campaign using all the other forums, & bombard the TV companies with complaints from every teams fans to make them take notice.
Posted by: Garth, February 7, 2015, 12:12pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from mimma
Sometimes Tondour starts rabbiting then breaks off "there's a chance here!!" but forgets to mention to who as he describes the goalmouth action, we are left wondering if it's Town or not.

I also hate it when he tells us that Town are playing from left to right, really useful on a radio commentary.

As I stated earlier, every football fan hates the commentary & "expert" analysis, yet it still gets rammed down our throats..

Could we start a campaign using all the other forums, & bombard the TV companies with complaints from every teams fans to make them take notice.

Just turn the sound down
Posted by: immariner, February 7, 2015, 12:55pm; Reply: 47
I remember watching a Football Italia game in the late 90's on Channel 4 and losing the commentary for the whole of the second half. It was glorious. I'd much rather have no commentary and microphones pointed at the crowd.
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 11:38am