Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: tintowner, February 1, 2015, 7:01pm
Stuart Pearce has left Forest
Posted by: Tangerine Chris, February 1, 2015, 7:04pm; Reply: 1
With only 3 wins in 21 games, am surprised he was not pushed
Posted by: Tommy, February 1, 2015, 7:11pm; Reply: 2
Never rated him as Manager of the England u21's either.
Posted by: Civvy at last, February 1, 2015, 7:24pm; Reply: 3
Another superb player for both club and country. Yet again proving that a great player is not necessarily going to be a great manager. I guess they initially have the respect of their players. But respect only gets you so far.   Don't see how he can make a pizza advert out of this one though 😉
Posted by: Garth, February 1, 2015, 7:39pm; Reply: 4
Bobby Charlton failed at Preston, being a good player means nothing regarding management, Laurie Mac was a no named player in his day but is famous for his management history
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, February 1, 2015, 7:57pm; Reply: 5
It's pretty silly that football still has this closed shop attitude to football management. There is absolutely no correlation between being having athleticism and foot-eye coordination that you need to play football, and the skill set you need to manage a team. I've heard Pearce talk at length about the game and for someone who played at such a high level he has some bizarre ideas, it was no surprise to me that he struggled this season. He's one of the best examples of someone getting management jobs purely based on his playing achievements. He's had a few cracks at being a manager now and he hasn't really succeeded anywhere.
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 1, 2015, 7:58pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Tangerine Chris
With only 3 wins in 21 games, am surprised he was not pushed

According to the BBC he was sacked.

BUT

They might find another position for him at the club.
Posted by: Tommy, February 1, 2015, 8:18pm; Reply: 7
They've already appointed Dougie Freedman as Manager.

And have offered Pearce another role at the club, which he is considering.
Posted by: jaymariner, February 1, 2015, 8:19pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Garth
Bobby Charlton failed at Preston, being a good player means nothing regarding management, Laurie Mac was a no named player in his day but is famous for his management history

Jose mourinho is a big example of this. Also a lot of great managers are frustrated players that didn't quite make it at the top level
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, February 1, 2015, 8:20pm; Reply: 9
A terrible manager and coach who has only ever had jobs because of his name as a player.  I'm not sure why ex-players have a God-given right to walk into coaching jobs.

No doubt he'll either be snapped up by another club who buy into this ludicrous "Psycho" persona and his "100% passion/0% talent" management skill set, or end up at the FA, coaching the skill out of young players while the idiots in blazers continue to ignore the likes of Real Madrid's Paul Clement and Dortmund's Gary Gordon.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 1, 2015, 8:30pm; Reply: 10
Haven't we seen this ourselves with woods, groves and Rodger. Stalwarts and ledgends of the club, but not quite stepping Onto the managerial merry go round. Everybody wants their club players that were heroes as players to become their next  successful manager. As we've seen with Pearce and others, it doesn't always work.

Remember our caravan club friends singing once at Stamford bridge..."you've got mourinho, we've got our physio" and the physio hasn't done too bad as a manager.
Posted by: RoboCod, February 1, 2015, 9:43pm; Reply: 11
John Barnes springs to mind as a classic 'stupid managerial appointment' of former players/rappers.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, February 2, 2015, 1:42pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Civvy at last
Another superb player for both club and country. Yet again proving that a great player is not necessarily going to be a great manager. I guess they initially have the respect of their players. But respect only gets you so far.   Don't see how he can make a pizza advert out of this one though 😉

Fair comment Civvy....don't think I can top that one!
Posted by: Abdul19, February 2, 2015, 2:42pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Fair comment Civvy....don't think I can top that one!

You're so cheesy FooW!
Posted by: Tommy, February 3, 2015, 7:09pm; Reply: 14
Dougie Freedman set to appoint ex-GTFC manager Lennie Lawrence as his assistant
Posted by: Maringer, February 3, 2015, 7:15pm; Reply: 15
Alan Shearer did a fine job when appointed as manager to save 'The Toon'.  :)
Posted by: nightrider, February 3, 2015, 7:35pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from RoboCod
John Barnes springs to mind as a classic 'stupid managerial appointment' of former players/rappers.

Haha they should have appointed Marion 'Suge' Knight to run the team. Target practice would have been interesting. The Town players wouldn't last very long....

Print page generated: May 11, 2024, 3:21am