Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: lukeo, February 1, 2015, 5:23pm
I know we have Dover away Tuesday and I wish everyone the best going all that way. But I am stupidly excited for my 3rd game of the season so wanted to get the roll call going early! Last year, on the Tuesday night we created a great atmosphere at times. I really hope everyone who went to Nuneaton make the extra hour's journey to FGR and get behind the boys!
So... Back to the title of the thread.

me + 4 fellow Grimsby fans from Wiltshire and potentially a few Exeter fans (weather dependant on our saturday league game)
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, February 1, 2015, 5:24pm; Reply: 1
Me plus MadeleyMariner hopefully
Posted by: forza ivano, February 1, 2015, 6:43pm; Reply: 2
Wouldn't miss the chance of a tofu burger and nut roast for the world!
Posted by: barralad, February 1, 2015, 10:18pm; Reply: 3
What Forza says....I've yet to find a nicer "village" than Nailsworth to watch professional football in...

Count me in.
Posted by: forza ivano, February 2, 2015, 12:02pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from barralad
What Forza says....I've yet to find a nicer "village" than Nailsworth to watch professional football in...

Count me in.

i like the boozer in the village centre where they let you bring in the fish and chips from next door
Posted by: Blundelluk, February 2, 2015, 1:23pm; Reply: 5
Me + 4, new ground as haven't made it previous seasons and can't make Dover so footy fix required. UTM
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 2, 2015, 1:42pm; Reply: 6
Local ground and looking forward to it. Couple of nice pubs in the centre of nailsworth village and there's a great bar at the ground called the green man. Stock up on meat based produce first!
Posted by: Biccys, February 2, 2015, 2:46pm; Reply: 7
The falafel wrap was excellent the other year...(Obviously I had chips too, I'm not a complete animal.)
Posted by: barralad, February 2, 2015, 3:26pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from forza ivano

i like the boozer in the village centre where they let you bring in the fish and chips from next door

Indeed!
Posted by: lukeo, February 2, 2015, 3:54pm; Reply: 9
I'll be in the Green Man from 1pm soaking in the pre match atmosphere and watching the football on the TV :)
Posted by: 75 (Guest), February 2, 2015, 10:35pm; Reply: 10
Thinking of staying over for a couple of nights. Is Gloucester the best place to stay relatively locally?
Posted by: gary_elton, February 2, 2015, 10:51pm; Reply: 11
There's some great places in Cheltenham..... its a mad place in Festival week... but also if you get down to
the waterfront in Gloucester it can be pretty good down there

happy memories of my days at Ben Hall and Oakley .....  couldn't remember the days but the nights in town were good... (friends)
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 3, 2015, 8:38am; Reply: 12
Gloucester doesn't really offer that much to be honest, though all depends what you are looking for mate.

Have been asked many times what's the best place to stay in gloucester, always replied cheltenham!!
Posted by: 75 (Guest), February 3, 2015, 10:52am; Reply: 13
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Gloucester doesn't really offer that much to be honest, though all depends what you are looking for mate.

Have been asked many times what's the best place to stay in gloucester, always replied cheltenham!!

Mostly beer to be fair, not the real ale twit variety. Just plonk to get me drunk and a cheesy growler on the way home. Cheltenham a better night out then?
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 3, 2015, 11:10am; Reply: 14
They are very different places to be fair mate. Is it going to be a group of lads?
Posted by: 75 (Guest), February 3, 2015, 11:14am; Reply: 15
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
They are very different places to be fair mate. Is it going to be a group of lads?

Most of my lot have to get home so are just doing the day. Just two of us staying over, but we'll want to smash it in.
Posted by: gary_elton, February 3, 2015, 11:20am; Reply: 16
Having visited Cheltenham many times... I can say you can get a bloody good night out there...
Posted by: 75 (Guest), February 3, 2015, 11:39am; Reply: 17
Quoted from gary_elton
Having visited Cheltenham many times... I can say you can get a bloody good night out there...

Cheltenham it is then. Cheers.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 3, 2015, 11:43am; Reply: 18
Quoted from gary_elton

Have to agree. There's some good pubs/bars in Cheltenham. Only problem is they can get a bit expensive and busy. The talent is very good though ;)

Gloucester is very similar to Meggies for the people that go out but the bars and pubs are not as good and there tends to be trouble on a sat night
Posted by: gary_elton, February 3, 2015, 12:28pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

The talent is very good though ;)  

I do have to own up here...in the mid 80's I did end up seeing a rather tasty and hot lady who ran
a bar in the centre of town...   couple of err... how shall I put it.. " lock ins " covers the
situation nicely I think...    
Posted by: 75 (Guest), February 3, 2015, 12:31pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from gary_elton

I do have to own up here...in the mid 80's I did end up seeing a rather tasty and hot lady who ran
a bar in the centre of town...   couple of err... how shall I put it.. " lock ins " covers the

I'm gonna follow you around with my notebook. I've much to learn.
Posted by: gary_elton, February 3, 2015, 12:35pm; Reply: 21
I'll let you have mine...  ;)
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 3, 2015, 12:37pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from gary_elton
I'll let you have mine...  ;)

Ooooooo er
Posted by: gary_elton, February 3, 2015, 1:03pm; Reply: 23
;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
Posted by: Blundelluk, February 3, 2015, 1:13pm; Reply: 24
Everyone get their mum, dads & grans to go. Lets fill the posh poxy little vegetarian ground with noisy ruffians from the North  :) UTM
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 3, 2015, 2:07pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from barralad

Count me in.

Can not make this one Ian,

So it will be Barnet and Welling.
Posted by: Richard Cranium, February 5, 2015, 9:46am; Reply: 26
53 seater fully booked
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 5, 2015, 11:25am; Reply: 27
No63 booked to get me the short trip
Posted by: Grimal, February 5, 2015, 4:10pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from gary_elton

Are we talking Handcuffed to the bed head here Gary ?  ;).

Posted by: Grimal, February 5, 2015, 4:16pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Richard Cranium
53 seater fully booked

Am I missing something here Richard, do you run a bus company or just have a load of friends. ?

Posted by: grimsby pete, February 5, 2015, 4:21pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Grimal

Am I missing something here Richard, do you run a bus company or just have a load of friends. ?

He runs the away supporters club,

AND

A very good job he does ( but do not tell him I said that )  ;)
Posted by: gary_elton, February 5, 2015, 4:27pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Grimal

Are we talking Handcuffed to the bed head here Gary ?  ;).

I'm afraid I am unable to add any further details on the grounds that
at my age it would be too dangerous to remember..... (bash) (tongue_smilie) (thumbup2)
Posted by: GYinScuntland, February 5, 2015, 7:32pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from 75
Thinking of staying over for a couple of nights. Is Gloucester the best place to stay relatively locally?

We've got Gloucester Travelodge for 40 notes, stayed in the Town a few times, recently on the way back from Torquay. There are some cracking little boozers, plus some decent bars and eateries around the docks. The waterway museum is excellent for those who like a bit of culture too.
I prefer it to Cheltenham but it's just a matter of opinion.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), February 5, 2015, 9:06pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from GYinScuntland

We've got Gloucester Travelodge for 40 notes, stayed in the Town a few times, recently on the way back from Torquay. There are some cracking little boozers, plus some decent bars and eateries around the docks. The waterway museum is excellent for those who like a bit of culture too.

Already booked in Cheltenham. Looking forward to sampling the local ale.
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 5, 2015, 9:10pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from 75

Already booked in Cheltenham. Looking forward to sampling the local ale.

Just be careful with the communal apple juice if you're going to Cheltenham Vicar.  ;)
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 5, 2015, 9:45pm; Reply: 35

It's a very up and coming area....the quays. Newly opened is the coal and grill (need to book for food) and portivo lounge is probably the nicest bar in glos. Plenty of eateries there too from zizzi and nandos to all you can eat buffets and tgi Fridays.

Away from the quays, dependent on your style and taste, there are the usual mix of pubs (wetherspoons etc) but, some of the clientele leave a lot to be desire....a fair mix of dim witted yokels and farmers (yes I probably do fit in les/BC) and A LOT of gypo's and Eastern Europeans. Some very good food places too if you are that way inclined with a couple of good Indians down west gate st and topolys Italian.

Which travelodge are you staying at?
Posted by: 75 (Guest), February 5, 2015, 9:47pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Les Brechin

Just be careful with the communal apple juice if you're going to Cheltenham Vicar.  ;)

Didn't even know I'd been to Cheltenham before Les.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 5, 2015, 9:49pm; Reply: 37
Where in chelt you staying BP?
Posted by: GYinScuntland, February 5, 2015, 10:15pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

It's a very up and coming area....the quays. Newly opened is the coal and grill (need to book for food) and portivo lounge is probably the nicest bar in glos. Plenty of eateries there too from zizzi and nandos to all you can eat buffets and tgi Fridays.

Away from the quays, dependent on your style and taste, there are the usual mix of pubs (wetherspoons etc) but, some of the clientele leave a lot to be desire....a fair mix of dim witted yokels and farmers (yes I probably do fit in les/BC) and A LOT of gypo's and Eastern Europeans. Some very good food places too if you are that way inclined with a couple of good Indians down west gate st and topolys Italian.

Which travelodge are you staying at?

We've booked the one on St Ann way in centre, stayed at the New Inn a couple of times too.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 6, 2015, 6:23am; Reply: 39

We've booked the one on St Ann way in centre, stayed at the New Inn a couple of times too.

Perfect for the quays (good boozer around the corner that has live music at times called baker st).

How you getting to/from the game?
Posted by: 75 (Guest), February 6, 2015, 6:38am; Reply: 40
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Where in chelt you staying BP?

Booked a self catering two bedroomed house.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, February 6, 2015, 9:26am; Reply: 41
debating this one at last minute, how long does it roughly take to get there ?

thanks
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 6, 2015, 9:43am; Reply: 42
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
debating this one at last minute, how long does it roughly take to get there ?

thanks

You'd need to give yourself a good 3 and a half hours I reckon, traffic permitting of course.
Posted by: BIGChris, February 6, 2015, 9:59am; Reply: 43
Me + 3
Posted by: BIGChris, February 6, 2015, 9:59am; Reply: 44
Me + 3
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, February 6, 2015, 10:11am; Reply: 45
Quoted from Les Brechin

You'd need to give yourself a good 3 and a half hours I reckon, traffic permitting of course.

Cheers Les,

heard good things about this one.

what time people leaving ?
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 6, 2015, 10:21am; Reply: 46
Must admit jarmo, it's one of my favourite away days. Maybe because it's local has something to do with it, but nailsworth is a lovely Cotswold village and the ground/bar set up is very well organised.

Would make the journey. It's worth it.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, February 6, 2015, 10:22am; Reply: 47
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Perfect for the quays (good boozer around the corner that has live music at times called baker st).

How you getting to/from the game?

Setting off in car at 6am, wanted to go early but the lazy b*t*h of a chauffeur(ess) wants a lie in.
Meeting mates in Stroud, on to Nailsworth and then to Gloucester after the game.
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 6, 2015, 10:25am; Reply: 48
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Cheers Les,

heard good things about this one.

what time people leaving ?

Definitely one of the better away trips in this division. I can't make it tomorrow but did go the first 3 times we played them. The pub/club at the ground is very welcoming too.

Posted by: Les Brechin, February 6, 2015, 10:31am; Reply: 49
I remember the first season we played them the game was changed from a Tuesday evening to a Thursday but I'd already got train tickets and accommodation booked. I still went down as planned on the Tuesday and took in a couple of lower league games at Chippenham and Swindon Supermarine. I stayed the Wednesday night in Cheltenham and I'm not sure whether it will still be running but there is a bus (the number 46  I think) which goes from the centre of Cheltenham and drops you right on the doorstep of The New Lawn.

I then cadged a lift back on the supporters coach as my train tickets back were for the Wednesday.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, February 6, 2015, 11:07am; Reply: 50
Cheers Woz & Les :)

what time people leaving then ??
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 6, 2015, 12:15pm; Reply: 51
Would personally say about 9/10ish but wouldn't have any idea.

Ask bigchris as know he is driving down with a car full
Posted by: BIGChris, February 6, 2015, 12:19pm; Reply: 52
I'm leaving at 9
Posted by: gary_elton, February 6, 2015, 12:27pm; Reply: 53
I'm leaving at 11 , will be there at about half 12....   :)
Posted by: GYinScuntland, February 6, 2015, 12:59pm; Reply: 54
6am, they start serving booze in spoons at 9 (wine)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 6, 2015, 1:32pm; Reply: 55
Any chance of it being a sell out? If not I might head over there tomorrow afternoon.
Posted by: forza ivano, February 6, 2015, 1:45pm; Reply: 56
I'M LEAVING AT 12.30! through the cotswolds. don't know if i can find my way again but a couple of years ago we ended up literally driving through a farmyard- think it was 1 of the farms belonging to chavenage estate which has alane running through the middle of it!
the other way involves traversing minchinmampton common and avoiding the cows that trudge down and over the road. proper rural stuff!
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, February 6, 2015, 2:07pm; Reply: 57
uh oh

[img]http://puu.sh/fy32Z/7a3b5b33cd.jpg[/img]
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 6, 2015, 3:30pm; Reply: 58
It's not that bad down this way. A bit nippy maybe.
Posted by: lukeo, February 6, 2015, 6:55pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Any chance of it being a sell out? If not I might head over there tomorrow afternoon.

not a chance, even if we did fill the away end they'd just move us along the side of the pitch without a stand
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 6, 2015, 11:46pm; Reply: 60
Cheers Luke.
Posted by: marinernige, February 7, 2015, 7:40am; Reply: 61
Me + ,six ,four from gy ,then three web finger lads from scuny , taking the taxi. leaving Grimsby 8.30.
Posted by: GrimExile, February 7, 2015, 8:34am; Reply: 62
I am travelling up from the High Wycombe areafor the game  and I will be by myself. Therefore if anyone would like a lift there and back please message me. One thing though and that is I can't hang about after the game I have to get back sharpish.
Posted by: immariner, February 7, 2015, 12:45pm; Reply: 63
http://thefishy.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?m-1422895665/s-new/

I think a good idea for this forum would be a lift sharing section or at least a thread.
Posted by: highcliff mariner, February 7, 2015, 2:07pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from immariner
http://thefishy.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?m-1422895665/s-new/

I think a good idea for this forum would be a lift sharing section or at least a thread.

Absolutely agree , I woulda gone today if I'd found anyone to chip in for fuel , and fancied Dover as well , I'm in Cleethorpes 😃 UTM
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, February 7, 2015, 3:10pm; Reply: 65
Just start a thread day before each match day and say if you going if you have space and for how many. UTM
Posted by: immariner, February 7, 2015, 3:37pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from Mariner Timsky
Just start a thread day before each match day and say if you going if you have space and for how many. UTM

Not everyone goes on the forum on a Friday and best to get things sorted early. No harm it being a sticky.
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 10:07pm