Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: mariner tommy, January 31, 2015, 12:33pm
Game off, waterlogged pitch.

Damn the weather.

UTM
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 31, 2015, 12:36pm; Reply: 1
http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/GAME-Grimsby-Town-confident-Telford-game-ahead/story-25953744-detail/story.html?
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, January 31, 2015, 12:57pm; Reply: 2
So we are to believe that Blundell Park today is in a worse condition than Kenilworth Road was when this game took place in January last year

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/scenes-ridiculously-muddy-conditions-play-a-huge-part-in-a-hilarious-fail-during-luton-v-barnet/

Yeah of course it is (tongue firmly planted in cheek)
Posted by: thevera, January 31, 2015, 1:12pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from FishOutOfWater
So we are to believe that Blundell Park today is in a worse condition than Kenilworth Road was when this game took place in January last year
http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/scenes-ridiculously-muddy-conditions-play-a-huge-part-in-a-hilarious-fail-during-luton-v-barnet/

Yeah of course it is (tongue firmly planted in cheek)

Difference is there are no cameras at BP today.
Posted by: Garth, January 31, 2015, 1:18pm; Reply: 4
Why no cheap clear sheeting is put on the pitch last night and rolled off at 2'olock after water is brushed off beats me
Posted by: gaz57, January 31, 2015, 1:19pm; Reply: 5
10 a.m. club announces the pitch is ok. 12.30 club announces pitch waterlogged, were the hell did all the water come from. Just asking.  :-/
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, January 31, 2015, 1:21pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from gaz57
10 a.m. club announces the pitch is ok. 12.30 club announces pitch waterlogged, were the hell did all the water come from. Just asking.  :-/

High tide at BP maybe ;)

By 3-00 pm it would have been going out again
Posted by: Garth, January 31, 2015, 1:22pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from gaz57

All a bit tinpot
Posted by: cleethorpes_mariner, January 31, 2015, 1:23pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from gaz57

More likely Ref turned up and decided the opposite to the club that  it was not fit to play on
Posted by: Toothill Totty, January 31, 2015, 1:35pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Garth
Why no cheap clear sheeting is put on the pitch last night and rolled off at 2'olock after water is brushed off beats me

Firstly there is no such thing as cheap sheeting that will cover the pitch, to give you a rough idea a flat sheet which would cover an area 50ft x 80ft would cost around £500, so do the maths on covering a football pitch, you then would have to remove the water on the covers which at present Mike only has the 1 water removal squeeze basic ones cost around £500, try and piture a cricket ground under cover and what is required there totally impractical for football, what is required is investment in drainage,under soil heating and the likes which will not happen whilst we are at BP. Unfortunately in their wisdom the club has continued to cut the budget which the lone groundsman Mike has to spend each year on the pitch and sometimes this can be the result of those overall cuts, however in saying that the rain has been very relentless!!
Posted by: gtfc98, January 31, 2015, 1:38pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Toothill Totty

Firstly there is no such thing as cheap sheeting that will cover the pitch, to give you a rough idea a flat sheet which would cover an area 50ft x 80ft would cost around £500, so do the maths on covering a football pitch, you then would have to remove the water on the covers which at present Mike only has the 1 water removal squeeze basic ones cost around £500, try and piture a cricket ground under cover and what is required there totally impractical for football, what is required is investment in drainage,under soil heating and the likes which will not happen whilst we are at BP. Unfortunately in their wisdom the club has continued to cut the budget which the lone groundsman Mike has to spend each year on the pitch and sometimes this can be the result of those overall cuts, however in saying that the rain has been very relentless!!

Wondered if the budget had been cut on groundwork. mike has done a fantastic job for years but the pitch has looked it terrible condition (in comparison to our usual standard) recently. fenty needs to realise the importance of a good playing surface!!
Posted by: Toothill Totty, January 31, 2015, 2:04pm; Reply: 11
Mike has done a great job and won the ground of the year award more than once in his time here in various divisions (incidentally Gateshead got the award last season) when he last won it he got very little recognition from the club, the telegraph picked up on the press release and covered the story but the club made nothing of it, the equipment mike has to use is getting well passed its life expectancy, you can see from the standard of the pitch this year that the cuts to his budget will come back to kick them at some point which it has done in a small way today, although with Dover still on at Lincoln (who have one of the best ground care budgets in the league) it could turn out to be a blessing as when we have to re play Telford they will almost certainly be relegated and wont improve on their current standard.
Posted by: LH, January 31, 2015, 2:09pm; Reply: 12
Good to have you on here Mike.  ;)
Posted by: Richard, January 31, 2015, 4:26pm; Reply: 13
set off at 10-30  from wigan  
heard at 12-30 game off    was at barnetby top   bloody ell
got home at 14-20
Posted by: Richard, January 31, 2015, 4:26pm; Reply: 14
got home at 14-20
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 31, 2015, 4:29pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Richard
got home at 14-20

Nice drive ?
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, January 31, 2015, 4:59pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Richard
got home at 14-20

Bad luck....at least I hadn't set off so bet it's doubly disappointing for you today

Posted by: RoboCod, January 31, 2015, 6:03pm; Reply: 17
Got our tickets refunded and talk in the ticket office was that the snow melted quickly, along with the downpour I guess the water couldn't drain away quickly enough.
Posted by: MarinerWY, February 1, 2015, 1:36am; Reply: 18
Quoted from Toothill Totty

No, don't come on here giving reasons, especially not backing them up with evidence! It's most definitely the fault of someone, be it Hurst, Fenty, the conference, the ref, or the groundsman... despite this being the first match we've had called off dus to a waterlogged BP since February 2012, it's most definitely a cause for hyperbole... it just cannot have a genuine explanation, there must be more to it!
Posted by: Abdul19, February 1, 2015, 2:54am; Reply: 19
Quoted from MarinerWY

No, don't come on here giving reasons, especially not backing them up with evidence! It's most definitely the fault of someone, be it Hurst, Fenty, the conference, the ref, or the groundsman... despite this being the first match we've had called off dus to a waterlogged BP since February 2012, it's most definitely a cause for hyperbole... it just cannot have a genuine explanation, there must be more to it!

It's pure tinpottery, that's what it is. I blame the Conference Trophy, or whatever it's called.
Posted by: Teesknees, February 1, 2015, 8:51am; Reply: 20
Quoted from MarinerWY

Yes I agree we must have someone to fcking blame musn't we! Alot of people on this site sit on their ars es at home critizing anything and everything... they need to
fooking get out more!

It's so easy to critize other people from afar when they've no real idea what's involved and how much effort and dedication goes into running a club ..."Oh why wasn;t it called off earlier, I could have stayed at home, had another wa nk and watched Jeremy Kyle if I'd known!" ....

It won't be long before people are putting in a claim for emotional distress when a match gets cancelled!

" I don't like Paul Hurst's interview techinque.. can I have my money back!"

This country's getting more like the USA everyday ffs!

Plastic sheeting for fck sake!

An while I'm at it that Bruce Springsteen bloke can fck off back to the USA!

Posted by: Fcukthescunts, February 1, 2015, 9:00am; Reply: 21
Teesknees get a bit if decaf down you and chill
Posted by: Teesknees, February 1, 2015, 11:19am; Reply: 22
Quoted from Fcukthescunts
Teesknees get a bit if decaf down you and chill

I'm very calm and chilled, it's not worth getting stressed about, there's far more important things in my life to worry about!
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, February 1, 2015, 11:22am; Reply: 23
Quoted from Teesknees

Yes I agree we must have someone to fcking blame musn't we! Alot of people on this site sit on their ars es at home critizing anything and everything... they need to
fooking get out more!

It's so easy to critize other people from afar when they've no real idea what's involved and how much effort and dedication goes into running a club ..."Oh why wasn;t it called off earlier, I could have stayed at home, had another wa nk and watched Jeremy Kyle if I'd known!" ....

It won't be long before people are putting in a claim for emotional distress when a match gets cancelled!

Or you just accept that people can comment how they like on a football forum about their favourite club?
Posted by: rancido, February 1, 2015, 12:11pm; Reply: 24

Or you just accept that people can comment how they like on a football forum about their favourite club?

Of course fans should comment on this or any forum but it's the criticism about things that they have no comprehension about that is annoying. It's easy to blame the club about the cancellation but if you have no comprehension about the full circumstances leading to that decision then surely any criticism is totally unjustified?
Posted by: Marinerz93, February 1, 2015, 2:01pm; Reply: 25
No one is blaming the groundsman who over the years has done a fantastic job with the playing surface at BP.  

Over the decades there have been calls going to out to the fans to come and sweep snow off the pitch and help brush water off the pitch.  We have had worse deluges and snow fall and managed to get games on. It seems we haven't even tried to get this on and are happy with extra mid week games.
Posted by: mariner91, February 1, 2015, 2:06pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Marinerz93
No one is blaming the groundsman who over the years has done a fantastic job with the playing surface at BP.  

Over the decades there have been calls going to out to the fans to come and sweep snow off the pitch and help brush water off the pitch.  We have had worse deluges and snow fall and managed to get games on. It seems we haven't even tried to get this on and are happy with extra mid week games.

Other than the game against Dover it will be our only mid week game, hardly the end of the world and not worth potentially ruining the playing surface if considered unplayable in my opinion.
Posted by: oldun, February 1, 2015, 2:32pm; Reply: 27
Just unfortunate circumstances and timing. The ground would be a bit hard after frost and this would effect how quickly water could get away. Quite a lot of snow fell in a short time and melted almost straight away leaving lots of standing water, also more rain was forecast.  Nobody's fault.
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 1, 2015, 2:43pm; Reply: 28
Why doesn't Fenty just put a roof on the ground,

Then we will have no problems.(bash)
Posted by: barralad, February 1, 2015, 10:25pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Marinerz93

For once nature triumphed. I'm not sure how we would have mobilised the army required to get water off the pitch (presumably all equipped with drinking straws). All those people walking on the pitch would have done more harm than good. A stupid amount of water one way or another came down on Saturday morning. Sweeping snow off is a different proposition entirely to getting rid of water. I remember some years ago going to Chester in August where the game was called off for waterlogging
Posted by: Marinerz93, February 1, 2015, 11:45pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from barralad

For once nature triumphed. I'm not sure how we would have mobilised the army required to get water off the pitch (presumably all equipped with drinking straws). All those people walking on the pitch would have done more harm than good. A stupid amount of water one way or another came down on Saturday morning. Sweeping snow off is a different proposition entirely to getting rid of water. I remember some years ago going to Chester in August where the game was called off for waterlogging

Garden forks would suffice Barra and a soft bristled yard brush, and we wouldn't have needed as many people who were willing to turn up and shovel snow off the pitch over the decades.

If you look at the pictures the pitch is several inches above where the sidelines drop off. The reason it got called off is that the grounds keeper couldn't do it on his own.
Posted by: GrimRob, February 2, 2015, 7:04am; Reply: 31
Got senf this by Telford fan Daniel Jones:

"Just to let you know that there was thirty plus Telford fans on the way to your ground and we got the news at Woodall services that the game was off and also our radio guys were two miles away before hearing the news that the game was off "
Posted by: DocTower, February 2, 2015, 7:41am; Reply: 32
Water table was extremely high to start with , the standing water  wasn't going anywhere fast with more predicted it was a sensible decision.  It doesn't  have to rain here for our ground to be wet due to the underground chalk beds flowing underground .  Unfortunate for travelling and players.   We did it once in the 70's  away , got to Colchester on a Tuesday night for it to be called off due to fog .  Glad the pitch wasn't churned up .
Posted by: barralad, February 2, 2015, 9:06am; Reply: 33
Whilst it is unfortunate that Telford's fans got to Woodhall (Mind you it is only a couple of hours-if that from Telford) these things happen. I've lost count over the last few years of the games Town have had postponed pretty late in the day. A "game" at Darlington where it was called off as our bus reached Scotch Corner and one where we turned back from a postponed game at Barnet at Stevenage.
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 2, 2015, 9:34am; Reply: 34
Ones that spring to mind that we have arrived at the ground and it was called off, Blackburn some years ago, more recently Chester, Darlington and Wrexham, there will be more but these things happen.

As it is every home game is an away one for me and I heard it was off when went got to Cleethorpes. :(
Posted by: ginnywings, February 2, 2015, 12:41pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from GrimRob
Got senf this by Telford fan Daniel Jones:

"Just to let you know that there was thirty plus Telford fans on the way to your ground and we got the news at Woodall services that the game was off and also our radio guys were two miles away before hearing the news that the game was off "

What do they want, a Blue Peter badge?

One of the downsides of being a travelling footy fan. Happened to us all at some time.
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 2, 2015, 12:52pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from ginnywings

What do they want, a Blue Peter badge?

One of the downsides of being a travelling footy fan. Happened to us all at some time.

I have said this before,

One year going to Huddlesfield we were told the game was off while we were nearly there,

We decided to go to see Sheff Wed only foe that to be off just as we arrived,

Ended up at Rotherham v Stoke,

It was packed 13,000+ gate because Stanley Mathews was playing,

He did not play as the pitch was a mud bath,

The 2nd half started and 6,000 fans went home.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, February 2, 2015, 1:17pm; Reply: 37
I went down to both Millwall away in the Cup (where we won the re-arranged tie 6-1) and Bristol City in the league about the same sort of time (81?? ) where both games were called off last minute yet local to the professional football clubs' grounds, everyone else managed a game when ours were off

You do sometimes wonder what the criteria are for games being allowed to proceed and others being called off but we have to deal with it...the adjudicators decision is final and all that  ::)

Sometimes it happens...I think with us on Saturday it was just the frustration of not being able to play the game when we are on a bit of a roll and there was some long overdue positivity starting to develop
Posted by: cleethorpes_mariner, February 2, 2015, 2:04pm; Reply: 38
think it was last year we got all the way to the Wrexham ground to be told by the steward it has just been called off,

The problem was on Sat we had what could only be described as a  very heavy blizzard 5 mins before the ref did the pitch inspection, The club had no chance to even start getting rid of the water that caused before he called it off.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, February 2, 2015, 2:19pm; Reply: 39
it's better than half way through a match and the floodlights failing...unless it's foggy and you're losing
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 2, 2015, 2:25pm; Reply: 40
Remember a Tuesday night game at Hartlepool that would've been better played in a swamp!
Futcher nearly scored from the halfway line but the ball got stuck in the paddling pool in the goalmouth
Posted by: cleethorpes_mariner, February 2, 2015, 3:04pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
it's better than half way through a match and the floodlights failing...unless it's foggy and you're losing

I was at both of them as well. Must be me :(

Posted by: Fcukthescunts, February 2, 2015, 3:09pm; Reply: 42
Remember going Rochdale and getting abandoned at half time due to waterlogged pitch. Next time I went turned up at Rochdale only for game to have been called off. I vowed never to go to Rochdale to watch Town again! After a few seasons down here I would actually love to go watch Town at Rochdale again!
Posted by: barralad, February 2, 2015, 3:22pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from FishOutOfWater
I went down to both Millwall away in the Cup (where we won the re-arranged tie 6-1) and Bristol City in the league about the same sort of time (81?? ) where both games were called off last minute yet local to the professional football clubs' grounds, everyone else managed a game when ours were off

You do sometimes wonder what the criteria are for games being allowed to proceed and others being called off but we have to deal with it...the adjudicators decision is final and all that  ::)

Sometimes it happens...I think with us on Saturday it was just the frustration of not being able to play the game when we are on a bit of a roll and there was some long overdue positivity starting to develop

Remember the Bristol game. We'd just pulled into the car park at 1:30 as they called the game off. It was played the following Tuesday in conditions at least as bad...thought we'd had it rough until we met some Blades fans in the service station on the M5 who'd got to within 30 miles of Plymouth before their game was called off!
Posted by: Grimal, February 2, 2015, 5:22pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Teesknees

fooking get out more!

I think he must have gone back to the USA, he hasn't been on for a while,   Oh wait !  it' could be because we havn't lost for a while. ;)

Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, February 2, 2015, 5:22pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Remember a Tuesday night game at Hartlepool that would've been better played in a swamp!
Futcher nearly scored from the halfway line but the ball got stuck in the paddling pool in the goalmouth

Went to this game and my mate who was studying up in New a style at the time used the Telewag I'd brought for him as a hood. He didn't half look a twit on the train back with his face heavily streaked with newsprint.
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 2, 2015, 11:30pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from Fcukthescunts
Remember going Rochdale and getting abandoned at half time due to waterlogged pitch. Next time I went turned up at Rochdale only for game to have been called off. I vowed never to go to Rochdale to watch Town again! After a few seasons down here I would actually love to go watch Town at Rochdale again!

I remember being there when it was called off at half-time, not sure if it was that game or the re-arranged game where there was a blizzard.
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 3, 2015, 7:25am; Reply: 47
I remember a Friday night game at Colchester years ago that was called off just as we were parking up. I think we won the game 1-0 when it was finally played with Big Keef getting the goal.
Posted by: thevera, February 3, 2015, 8:10am; Reply: 48
In the seventies Peter Sheffield decided they were not going to run any coaches to Town matches after damage to their coaches.
I know the guy who decided he would get round this by hiring them from Scunthorpe. He realised that they always sent a 53 seater no matter what size coach was ordered. So he used to give the fans a price which was based on a 29 seater and tell them to turn up at  Brighowgate.
On one occasion going to Crewe if I remember right over 60 people turned up and the driver was happy to let them on and sit 3 to a seat.
The journey was horrendous going through heavy snow and we had no idea whether the game was still on. We got there just before kick off to be told game off lads. We turned back through the snow again back home, I do know though the guy who run it made a hefty profit for his efforts.
Posted by: Bruce Springsteen, February 3, 2015, 5:02pm; Reply: 49
Colchester United on a Friday Night......called off about an hour before KO
Posted by: gary_elton, February 3, 2015, 7:01pm; Reply: 50
Town v Sunderland.... Snow... water all over the pitch , Dave Gilbert came on wearing water wings and a snorkel..

abandoned after a few minutes...   bloody farce  !!
Posted by: Maringer, February 3, 2015, 7:11pm; Reply: 51
I remember that Sunderland game. I have a feeling it is the only one I've seen abandoned at BP for really bad weather, though I've seen one or two stopped due to fog.

On the other hand, I remember a game over Christmas some years ago against Coventry, I think. Possibly Boxing Day - the pitch was absolutely frozen solid and it was like both sets of players were ice-skating around. I seem to remember that one of their short-bottom players managed to dribble it past half our team (who could barely stand up) to score the winner. Mike Marsh, perhaps?

No chance of the referee stopping that game, but it wouldn't even have started in the modern day!
Posted by: Perkins, February 3, 2015, 7:30pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from gary_elton
Town v Sunderland.... Snow... water all over the pitch , Dave Gilbert came on wearing water wings and a snorkel..

abandoned after a few minutes...   bloody farce  !!

Think that game only went ahead because the TV cameras were there and if I remember correctly at the time clubs only got paid by the TV companies if the game started. As you say, a bloody farce.

I do remember going all the way to Carlisle on the train one Saturday years ago to see us play and getting within 200 yard s of the ground only to be told by a bunch of their fans walking away from the ground that the game was off due to fog.

Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 5:45pm