Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: The Grim Reaper, January 30, 2015, 9:30pm
I'm really pleased that he's staying with us until the end of the season, but if he does well Mansfield will recall him  They arnt exactly doing well are they. Remember Martin Patterson?
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 30, 2015, 9:32pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from The Grim Reaper
I'm really pleased that he's staying with us until the end of the season, but if he does well Mansfield will recall him  They arnt exactly doing well are they. Remember Martin Patterson?

They can't recall him!
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, January 30, 2015, 9:32pm; Reply: 2
Great thread.
Posted by: Garth, January 30, 2015, 9:33pm; Reply: 3
End of thread
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 30, 2015, 9:44pm; Reply: 4
[IMG]http://i60.tinypic.com/152f14w.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: ginnywings, January 30, 2015, 10:05pm; Reply: 5
Fin.   ;)
Posted by: davmariner, January 30, 2015, 10:51pm; Reply: 6
Did wonder this myself earlier but Telegraph then confirmed he can't be recalled.
Posted by: lukeo, January 31, 2015, 4:15am; Reply: 7
To add to the positivity on this thread the reason they cannot recall him back because HE wanted to be secure here and settled for the rest of the season and (i quote) " concentrate 110% on Grimsby"
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, January 31, 2015, 6:52am; Reply: 8
Quoted from lukeo
To add to the positivity on this thread the reason they cannot recall him back because HE wanted to be secure here and settled for the rest of the season and (i quote) " concentrate 110% on Grimsby"

Great! Another footballer who doesn't understand percentages.
Posted by: crusty ole pie, January 31, 2015, 8:26am; Reply: 9
Quoted from LongEatonMariner

Great! Another footballer who doesn't understand percentages.

Who gives a flying fig as long as he understands ball in net equals goal and two or three balls in net should equal 3 points
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, January 31, 2015, 9:15am; Reply: 10
Yes it was Palmer who wanted the recall clause removed as much as Town. Unlike some loanees he wants to focus on his new team for the rest of the season and not looking at it as playing a couple of games and shooting straight back to his parent club.

I thought he came across well in his interview- wants to do well for himself obviously  but wants to do well for Grimsby and help us get promoted.

Likes the players and has been blown away by the support of the fans. Now obviously things have started well....Town are winning...he has scored a couple of goals already. After spending much on the season warming the bench at Mansfield he is clearly enjoying playing and playing in a winning team makes that even better.

I am glad he is staying. He and the 2 new signings have added a buzz to the place and i for one had resigned myself to another play-off failure at the very best. Now I have renewed hope we can finish the season strongly and even if we do miss out on automatic promotion at least go into the play offs with some momentum, confidence  and belief unlike last time.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 31, 2015, 10:00am; Reply: 11
I think Palmers interview was a job interview. He is looking to next season and a contract.
Posted by: Rick12, January 31, 2015, 10:22am; Reply: 12
Quoted from Les Brechin

They can't recall him!
Pleased about that.Liked the look of him when I saw him for the first time on Bt Sport against Barnet

Posted by: promotion plaice, January 31, 2015, 10:25am; Reply: 13
The carrot of a possible Wembley appearance might have had something to do with it.
Posted by: Rick12, January 31, 2015, 10:28am; Reply: 14
Possibly but still impressed by him albeit only one game.If he can be consistent and put in a shift like that every game he will be a really good signing for us.Though if I was the manager I hold out for a bit and see how he does over a longer period.
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, January 31, 2015, 10:53am; Reply: 15
I suppose we have had one or two loanees who have looked good initially then (after we signed them permanently) fell away.

But i like his workrate, i think he has a pretty good first touch, shows some awareness of whats going on around him and so far has shown he knows where the goal is. All this when he must have been a bit rusty and probably not fully match fit. If he gets a run in the team there may be more to come from him.

I will certainly be cheering for him and the rest of the lads.
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 31, 2015, 10:56am; Reply: 16
Quoted from promotion plaice
The carrot of a possible Wembley appearance might have had something to do with it.

I'm sure he'll be striving as hard as he can so that doesn't happen.
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 31, 2015, 11:10am; Reply: 17
Quoted from ginnywings
I think Palmers interview was a job interview. He is looking to next season and a contract.

Well if he helps us get promotion he can have one, :)

When we are back in the league ,I hope that is the end of the one year deals for senior players.
Posted by: bradzmilne, January 31, 2015, 7:39pm; Reply: 18
Funnily enough I do have a concern with Palmer, admittedly it is a very much "half glass empty" sort of comment but if he is as good and consistent as he's looked in a town shirt... Why on earth can't he get a struggling, relegation threatened Mansfield team?

Obviously there can be many other factors other than ability why a player can't get into a team but this was just my initial reaction to the situation. I bloody hope I'm wrong though!! UTM
Posted by: The Yard Dog, January 31, 2015, 8:00pm; Reply: 19
He is more likely to score for us as he is prepared to shoot from anywhere.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), January 31, 2015, 9:45pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from bradzmilne

Obviously there can be many other factors other than ability why a player can't get into a team but this was just my initial reaction to the situation. I bloody hope I'm wrong though!! UTM

Carl Magnay
Posted by: Abdul19, February 1, 2015, 3:01am; Reply: 21
[img][/img]
Quoted from bradzmilne
Funnily enough I do have a concern with Palmer, admittedly it is a very much "half glass empty" sort of comment but if he is as good and consistent as he's looked in a town shirt... Why on earth can't he get a struggling, relegation threatened Mansfield team?

He's the Surrey Daryl Clare!
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, February 1, 2015, 7:10am; Reply: 22
Quoted from bradzmilne

Not worried why he can't get in their first team their loss is our gain. Mansfield may feel his confidence needs a boost and being match fit is the best way to stay fit also it's a wage bill off their books. Either way it's a win,win scenario. I love Ollies commitment on and off the pitch, I know it's still a honey moon period but he has a presence and work ethic that rubs off on fellow players and fans alike. The fact that he is 6ft 5 and leading the front line just further emphasizes that.  
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 1, 2015, 8:22am; Reply: 23
Paul Futcher couldn't get in Halifax's team!
Posted by: Meza, February 1, 2015, 10:20am; Reply: 24
I don't think Ollie was signed by Murray but by Cox.  He's probably out of favour because of the manager change.
Posted by: davmariner, February 1, 2015, 10:32am; Reply: 25
Quoted from Les Brechin

I swear someone always churns out this exceptional example when we sign duff players.

FYI Palmer is far from duff. The guys attitude is first class and think he'll score many more important goals for us.
Posted by: rancido, February 1, 2015, 12:37pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Les Brechin

I seem to recall that the Halifax manager at the time had had a " fall out " with Lord Futch and was punishing him by playing him in the reserve team.
Posted by: RoboCod, February 1, 2015, 1:52pm; Reply: 27
There's a list as long as your arm of players coming to Town on loan and becoming integral parts of promotion winning teams, sometimes going on to legendary status. For whatever reason these players are not in the minds of their current manager and are available, it's down to managers to sort the wheat from the chaff. There seemed to be an endless turnover of loan players under Newell and Woods, mostly chaff it has to be said.
Posted by: cleefish, February 1, 2015, 2:07pm; Reply: 28
;D ;D ;D ;D is he out of contract  at the ends of he season if so hope we sign him up. htm
Posted by: BIGChris, February 1, 2015, 2:42pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from cleefish
;D ;D ;D ;D is he out of contract  at the ends of he season if so hope we sign him up. htm

Is this a scene from allo allo?
Posted by: ginnywings, February 1, 2015, 2:53pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from BIGChris

Is this a scene from allo allo?

;D
Posted by: sonik, February 1, 2015, 3:35pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from cleefish

Yes. But under 24 years old so will command a fee if Mansfield offer him an extended deal.

UTM!
Posted by: acko338, February 1, 2015, 3:52pm; Reply: 32
Can they afford him to pay him more, if they stay in the bottom two and are relegated ? - and wouldn't it be strange if they drop, and we're promoted with a forward their manager didn't fancy as a goal scorer ??
Posted by: Rick12, February 1, 2015, 5:17pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

Not worried why he can't get in their first team their loss is our gain. Mansfield may feel his confidence needs a boost and being match fit is the best way to stay fit also it's a wage bill off their books. Either way it's a win,win scenario. I love Ollies commitment on and off the pitch, I know it's still a honey moon period but he has a presence and work ethic that rubs off on fellow players and fans alike. The fact that he is 6ft 5 and leading the front line just further emphasizes that.  
If he keeps it up and the fans carry on taking to him (probably reads the stuff on here as well  ;)) will more than likely want to sign for us
Posted by: biggles9999, February 2, 2015, 12:29pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from acko338
Can they afford him to pay him more, if they stay in the bottom two and are relegated ? - and wouldn't it be strange if they drop, and we're promoted with a forward their manager didn't fancy as a goal scorer ??

They wouldnt have to pay him more, only offer him a contract on equal terms. IF we were to sign him then they may wish to do this as a way of pushing through for a small fee.
Posted by: Abdul19, February 2, 2015, 12:33pm; Reply: 35
Doubt they'd bother - he could call their bluff and sign it!
Posted by: acko338, February 2, 2015, 3:56pm; Reply: 36
Mansfield are signing a striker and have also recalled Bingham from Hartlepool, so Ollie would be well down the manager's pecking order.
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 10:54am