Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: A.l.f., January 29, 2015, 7:47pm
Anyone know if there's any reasonable train prices for the Barnet match.  Just looked from Cleethorpes to Kings Cross leaving on Friday and returning on Sunday and it's about £70 -80 each way.  Was thinking about treating the wife to a weekend in London...... and going to the match on the tube from there.
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 29, 2015, 7:49pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from A.l.f.
Anyone know if there's any reasonable train prices for the Barnet match.  Just looked from Cleethorpes to Kings Cross leaving on Friday and returning on Sunday and it's about £70 -80 each way.  Was thinking about treating the wife to a weekend in London...... and going to the match on the tube from there.

Les is the man who will know.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, January 29, 2015, 7:54pm; Reply: 2
£30 for a two together railcard would be a start. Gets you a third off each ticket.

http://www.twotogether-railcard.co.uk/
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 29, 2015, 7:56pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from A.l.f.

Cheapest I can see on the Friday is the 18:34 which is available for £27 still and coming back  (if you don't mind leaving late) then the 20.35 out of KX is available at the same price. Earlier train back on the Sunday are about £40 though.
Posted by: psgmariner, January 29, 2015, 8:05pm; Reply: 4
Is it half term? No cheap trains from leeds 😔
Posted by: A.l.f., January 29, 2015, 8:08pm; Reply: 5
That sounds good - I went on East Coast & Trainline.  Where do I find these deals Les as that sounds fine.
Posted by: MarinerWY, January 29, 2015, 8:57pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from psgmariner
Is it half term? No cheap trains from leeds 😔

Yes it is half-term, at least in Leeds. Reckon that'll be why the limited cheap tickets (the 14 quid ones) will have been snapped up a while ago.
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 29, 2015, 9:12pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from A.l.f.
That sounds good - I went on East Coast & Trainline.  Where do I find these deals Les as that sounds fine.

If you book via the East Coast website it's slightly cheaper as you get an extra discount as you are using their trains.

The 18:34 out of Gy on the Friday is £26.45 each and the 19:34 is even cheaper at £20.40 each but that doesn't get you to London until gone 11pm.
Posted by: A.l.f., January 29, 2015, 10:13pm; Reply: 8
Great!  Thanks Les.
For years I've always driven but it tires me out a bit these days and have started to use the train but half the time end up paying too much.
I appreciate your and others help and advice.  Hope we take a decent crowd there and get a win.
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, January 29, 2015, 10:26pm; Reply: 9
It is sure to be a cracker of a game
Posted by: ginnywings, January 29, 2015, 10:44pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from A.l.f.
Great!  Thanks Les.
For years I've always driven but it tires me out a bit these days and have started to use the train but half the time end up paying too much.
I appreciate your and others help and advice.  Hope we take a decent crowd there and get a win.

Buying a 2 together rail card £30 is a must if you use trains a lot. Even if you don't and make a fairly expensive journey, you can get all or most of it back on one trip as it knocks off a third. Breaking your journey up and buying several tickets to your destination instead of one straight through ticket can also work out cheaper. Getting off peak trains is another way of getting down the prices ie don't travel during rush hours. Booking well in advance can save a packet if you know where and when you are going in good time.

Train ticketing prices are convoluted and designed to rip you off and we have some of the dearest train journeys in the world in this country. It's a scandal. The money saving expert site has more info if you want to check it out. If you plan carefully, train travel can work out cheaper than petrol and car parking charges. We use trains a lot.
Posted by: barralad, January 29, 2015, 10:51pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from ginnywings

Buying a 2 together rail card £30 is a must if you use trains a lot. Even if you don't and make a fairly expensive journey, you can get all or most of it back on one trip as it knocks off a third. Breaking your journey up and buying several tickets to your destination instead of one straight through ticket can also work out cheaper. Getting off peak trains is another way of getting down the prices ie don't travel during rush hours. Booking well in advance can save a packet if you know where and when you are going in good time.

Train ticketing prices are convoluted and designed to rip you off and we have some of the dearest train journeys in the world in this country. It's a scandal. The money saving expert site has more info if you want to check it out. If you plan carefully, train travel can work out cheaper than petrol and car parking charges. We use trains a lot.

I've just booked tickets for Amsterdam to Osnabruck in Germany for the week before Easter 39 euros return for two of us...... Gy to Doncaster is about £18.00 full price

The 2 together card is brilliant. Have had to go to Cumbria three times since August £200.00 for two return reduced to £132 which is still too much! Saved £180 on those alone. Add to that two trips to London and it could be said to have paid for itself!
Posted by: sam gy, January 30, 2015, 10:35am; Reply: 12
If you can get to Scunny, and you don't mind a longer journey, then you can get the 'Megabus Plus' which is a coach from Hull, stopping at Scunny and dropping off at East Midlands Parkway where you catch a train for the rest of the journey to Kings X. Usually costs about 13 quid each way.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, January 30, 2015, 12:13pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from sam gy
If you can get to Scunny, and you don't mind a longer journey, then you can get the 'Megabus Plus' which is a coach from Hull, stopping at Scunny and dropping off at East Midlands Parkway where you catch a train for the rest of the journey to Kings X. Usually costs about 13 quid each way.

St Pancras not Kings Cross.

Posted by: sam gy, January 30, 2015, 2:18pm; Reply: 14
Well, yeah....same difference really!
Posted by: Paris Mariner, January 30, 2015, 2:19pm; Reply: 15
Fingers crossed this great form continues and 700 or so will travel down.
Posted by: forza ivano, January 30, 2015, 8:57pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Paris Mariner
Fingers crossed this great form continues and 700 or so will travel down.

Maybe more than that.not uncommon to have 400-500 for nothing games in the capital with all the South East exiles turning out
Posted by: Belfast Town, January 30, 2015, 10:12pm; Reply: 17
Not sure how many Barnet's ground holds. Any chance it might be all ticket?
Posted by: Paris Mariner, January 30, 2015, 10:44pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Belfast Town

You thinking of going? Could be heading over from the Dub myself.
Posted by: Belfast Town, January 31, 2015, 2:55am; Reply: 19

You thinking of going? Could be heading over from the Dub myself.

Am planning too. Will be flying from Belfast and making a weekend of it, catching up with old friends.
Posted by: Caesar, January 31, 2015, 7:56am; Reply: 20
Quoted from Belfast Town

I was thinking about this, being based in London it is a deffo game for me but was getting slightly worried if it goes all ticket is I don't get to many home games and priority (rightly so to be fair) is give to season ticket holders and regular home game visitors.  However according to the Football Ground Guide the away terrace has an 871 capacity and there are 800 additional seats that can be made available so we should have 1,861 potential tickets.

[url]http://www.footballgroundguide.com/barnet/#Visiting-Hive-Stadium[/url]
Posted by: Paris Mariner, January 31, 2015, 4:19pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Belfast Town

Am planning too. Will be flying from Belfast and making a weekend of it, catching up with old friends.

Where do you fly into from up there?
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 31, 2015, 4:23pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Caesar

I was thinking about this, being based in London it is a deffo game for me but was getting slightly worried if it goes all ticket is I don't get to many home games and priority (rightly so to be fair) is give to season ticket holders and regular home game visitors.  However according to the Football Ground Guide the away terrace has an 871 capacity and there are 800 additional seats that can be made available so we should have 1,861 potential tickets.

[url]http://www.footballgroundguide.com/barnet/#Visiting-Hive-Stadium[/url]

There will be more of us than them  ;D
Posted by: Belfast Town, January 31, 2015, 5:43pm; Reply: 23

Where do you fly into from up there?

If going to Grimsby, East Midlands or Leeds. For Barnet I'll be staying with friends in London and can fly into any of the airports around London - Belfast is really we served for flights.
Posted by: Hagrid, January 31, 2015, 6:26pm; Reply: 24
This will be my first long distance drive since passing my test in decemebe 2013!!! Really looking forward to it
Posted by: poomehellt, February 1, 2015, 7:04pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Hagrid
This will be my first long distance drive since passing my test in decemebe 2013!!! Really looking forward to it

My 1st ever long distance drive, Grimsby to Silverstone, was a great journey, great feeling and have great memories of it, I really love a long drive. Hope your 1st long drive is just as fun!

Barnet weekend I'm heading down by train, £27 going down standard class, coming back 1st class £35 with complementary tea/coffees food and wine and other refeshments, I'm sure I'll be able to get my moneysworth!
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), February 1, 2015, 7:11pm; Reply: 26
If the gap between us and Barnet is 3 points or less by the time we play them then I reckon we will take 1000 plus.
Posted by: H19P1, February 2, 2015, 7:33am; Reply: 27
Morning all and hello, I'm new to your forum and pleased to have joined. Just want to share with you that Barnet tickets are actually on sale now direct from Barnet FC website. I've just purchased 2 over the weekend and printed the e-ticket in readiness for the big day out. UTFM
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, February 2, 2015, 12:08pm; Reply: 28
Got ours (3) - Block F Row Q (Back row)
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 2, 2015, 12:58pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
Got ours (3) - Block F Row Q (Back row)

There will be 4 of us going,

BUT

Will not get tickets until the day,

If its postponed my grandkids do not finish work in time for a mid week rearranged game.

We will not buy all the 1,800 tickets on offer, will we ?
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, February 2, 2015, 1:01pm; Reply: 30
Doubt it but you just never know what will happen results wise between now and then, , , thats if we manage to play a match between now and Barnet away!!!!
Posted by: Grimal, February 2, 2015, 6:05pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from H19P1
Morning all and hello, I'm new to your forum and pleased to have joined. Just want to share with you that Barnet tickets are actually on sale now direct from Barnet FC website. I've just purchased 2 over the weekend and printed the e-ticket in readiness for the big day out. UTFM

Welcome to the Fishy mate.    UTM.

Posted by: H19P1, February 2, 2015, 8:39pm; Reply: 32
Thanks Grimal :-)
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 3, 2015, 9:25pm; Reply: 33
Good system on Barnett website, tickets booked.
Posted by: H19P1, February 3, 2015, 9:45pm; Reply: 34
Has anyone got contact details for the supporters coach organiser? I'm currently planning to take the car as i think it'll be the cheaper option but wouldn't mind pricing up the coach.
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 3, 2015, 9:49pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from H19P1
Has anyone got contact details for the supporters coach organiser? I'm currently planning to take the car as i think it'll be the cheaper option but wouldn't mind pricing up the coach.

Terry Hall posts on here as Richard Cranium,

Send him a PM he runs the away travel.
Posted by: H19P1, February 3, 2015, 9:57pm; Reply: 36
Cheers Grimsby pete, top man
Posted by: Richard Cranium, February 3, 2015, 10:22pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from H19P1
Just sent you a pm

Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 2:32am