Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: bobbyturtle, January 25, 2015, 1:19am
got to be ollie palmer till the end of the season
Posted by: bobbyturtle, January 25, 2015, 1:19am; Reply: 1
and a new left or right back lol
Posted by: chaos33, January 25, 2015, 8:22am; Reply: 2
Palmer extension is not really in Hurst's hands though. I'd prefer a new left back so Magnay can return to RB, but Hurst didn't sound too concerned with that. At least, he didn't seem to think it was an urgent issue. Obviously he could be playing it cagey.
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, January 25, 2015, 9:02am; Reply: 3
Quoted from chaos33
Palmer extension is not really in Hurst's hands though. I'd prefer a new left back so Magnay can return to RB, but Hurst didn't sound too concerned with that. At least, he didn't seem to think it was an urgent issue. Obviously he could be playing it cagey.

I thought he sounded very chipper on his post match interview but it wouldn't be the first time he was playing it cagey re transfer speculation. Another win today!
Posted by: chaos33, January 25, 2015, 9:40am; Reply: 4
Yeah if you like. Chipper for a man who isn't having any success in signing players. Or, to be fair, isn't in a position to report success on signing the players other parties have said he was close to securing, so is trying to laugh his way out of that bit of pressure. :-/ ;)
Posted by: acko338, January 25, 2015, 9:55am; Reply: 5
Obviously doesn't want to rely / risk using Paul Walker and Caine Winfarrah for a vital season end run in.

Fan abuse could finish both of them if not successful if played.
Posted by: acko338, January 25, 2015, 9:57am; Reply: 6
Obviously doesn't want to rely / risk using Paul Walker and Caine Winfarrah for a vital season end run in.

Probably wanting to find another Goodall, Pond, Boyce who wants time on the pitch rather than bench warming.
Posted by: highcliff mariner, January 25, 2015, 10:00am; Reply: 7
Quoted from acko338

Bit dramatic . Can imagine the senario , "your in the side today Paul/Caine "
" aww no boss please not me , I dont wanna play in front of those nasty home fans ,It'll end my career"
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 25, 2015, 10:46am; Reply: 8
The only time young players like that'd get abuse is if they're seen out stuffing their faces in Maccy D's or wasting their talent.
Posted by: pontoonlew, January 25, 2015, 11:11am; Reply: 9
Quoted from acko338

Probably wanting to find another Goodall, Pond, Boyce who wants time on the pitch rather than bench warming.

I'm not sure I've ever heard a youth team player get abused whilst starting out here.

Posted by: ex-merseymariner, January 25, 2015, 11:18am; Reply: 10

tongue in cheek edit for you  ;-)

Quoted from pontoonlew

I'm not sure I've ever seen a youth team player  starting here.  

Posted by: ginnywings, January 25, 2015, 11:58am; Reply: 11
If Aswad isn't coming back then we need a new left back i think. That will allow Magnay and Parslow to share the right back or centre back duties as required should Pearson or Nsiala be injured or suspended. We're a bit light on good centre back cover.
Posted by: Garth, January 25, 2015, 12:03pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from acko338

What here,  never wrong ground mate  ;D
Posted by: Abdul19, January 25, 2015, 12:41pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from ginnywings
That will allow Magnay and Parslow to share the right back or centre back duties as required should Pearson or Nsiala be ... suspended.

Absolutely no chance of that happening ;)
Posted by: chaos33, January 25, 2015, 1:40pm; Reply: 14
Yeah  :)
Good point about cover though. I think the main point is that Aswad is a big loss, especially going forward, and Maggers isn't really a like for like swap there, as excellent as he is is. I think he was really doing a good job for us on the right and it'd be best to try to preserve that situation rather than having to switch him across.

Hurst mentioned that he's got Walker and Bignot and that he 'likes right backs'. Personally I don't think Parslow is much more than 'ok' in any position and I don't rate Bignot, so I'd like to see Hurst try to strengthen that by finding and signing a good left back. Hurst doesn't seem to want to play Walker or Winfarrah, and on that basis it makes them wastes of money and squad places, a lot like the Watson signing. I'd like to see that resource spent on players who Hurst will trust to play, especially as fiances are tight and money spent must ostensibly be good value.

Hurst himself said that we are not running a development squad and can't afford to operate like that, which makes his non-use of some of his squad members seems bewildering, contrary as it is. Think of how much more efficient, competitive and potent we might be if you replaced the 3 or 4 players Hurst seems unwilling to play and replaced them with some that he will give a chance to.
Posted by: Maringer, January 25, 2015, 2:40pm; Reply: 15
His comment about liking right backs was clearly a joke as he was one himself.

Hmmm. You'd think we would have enough full backs at the club already (especially if you include Winfarrah in the tally), I know Bignot has played at left back for us once or twice as well. Perhaps we'll try to get on without Aswad and hope Magnay is fit to play on the left for the rest of the season? Not sure if that would be the best option, but it certainly makes sense to some degree if it would allow us to sign another attacking player.
Posted by: chaos33, January 25, 2015, 2:48pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Maringer
His comment about liking right backs was clearly a joke as he was one himself .

I know.
Posted by: Abdul19, January 25, 2015, 3:01pm; Reply: 17
I thought he was a left back?
Posted by: Maringer, January 25, 2015, 3:05pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Abdul19
I thought he was a left back?

A brief look at wiki would indicate you're correct... Unless you just edited it, of course!
Posted by: Abdul19, January 25, 2015, 3:28pm; Reply: 19
Ha ha not guilty!
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 25, 2015, 3:57pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from chaos33
Yeah  :)
Good point about cover though. I think the main point is that Aswad is a big loss, especially going forward, and Maggers isn't really a like for like swap there, as excellent as he is is. I think he was really doing a good job for us on the right and it'd be best to try to preserve that situation rather than having to switch him across.

Hurst mentioned that he's got Walker and Bignot and that he 'likes right backs'. Personally I don't think Parslow is much more than 'ok' in any position and I don't rate Bignot, so I'd like to see Hurst try to strengthen that by finding and signing a good left back. Hurst doesn't seem to want to play Walker or Winfarrah, and on that basis it makes them wastes of money and squad places, a lot like the Watson signing. I'd like to see that resource spent on players who Hurst will trust to play, especially as fiances are tight and money spent must ostensibly be good value.

Hurst himself said that we are not running a development squad and can't afford to operate like that, which makes his non-use of some of his squad members seems bewildering, contrary as it is. Think of how much more efficient, competitive and potent we might be if you replaced the 3 or 4 players Hurst seems unwilling to play and replaced them with some that he will give a chance to.

I agree. It does seem barmy to be paying players that are never going to play. In one way it is understandable, it's his job that's on the line so he would rather not take what he sees as an unnecessary risk. But it is still a waste of money.

Posted by: davmariner, January 25, 2015, 4:43pm; Reply: 21
Hurst's comments about bringing in a right back instead of a left back do concern me. Magnay is best at right back, although he is competent at left back. I just feel it takes something out of his game and we don't necessarily look as well balanced. For a long time we've played with right footed left wingers and obviously had Aswad.

That worked well as there were two options: either the full back would overlap down the wing and put a cross in or the winger could cut inside and play the ball. In this case I feel it makes us a bit predictable.

Two right footers down the left I feel takes away some of out attacking threat. Particularly as our goals tend to originate from out wide.
Posted by: moosey_club, January 25, 2015, 5:29pm; Reply: 22
I would rather see Bignot instead of Parslow at right back while Magnay is covering L.B.
Parslow will not overlap his full back and puts the brakes on and goes sideways or backwards when he hits the halfway line, with Makreth in front of him who also rarely produces a cross that combination effectively rules out any attacking option down the right.
Bignot when he came on the other week put a couple of good balls in from an upfield position within moments of coming on.

Magnay needs to be back at R.B in an ideal world and the only way that will happen is if we get a dedicated L.B in and pronto.

However Hurst will more than likely be happier with the right side looking solid defensively rather than threatening in attack with Makreth and Parslow both prepared to defend.
Posted by: Maringer, January 25, 2015, 5:46pm; Reply: 23
I don't think Parslow is good enough to be our first-choice right-back for the rest of the season. Is Bignot, though? Not too sure, though I do agree that I would prefer to see Bignot on the right instead of Parslow.

On the other hand, despite the fact that he's right-footed, I expect that Magnay is still one of the better left-backs in the division when playing that role.
Posted by: Garth, January 25, 2015, 7:02pm; Reply: 24
Bignot is the obvious replacement at RB if Magnay stays at LB, he looks a lot more at ease than Parslow who should be kept for cover in the center back positions, we still need a strong fast midfield player to carry the ball through
Posted by: ginnywings, January 25, 2015, 11:37pm; Reply: 25
Possibly some incoming tomorrow..............................

No names, no pack drill.
Posted by: davmariner, January 25, 2015, 11:41pm; Reply: 26
RH think we're in for Gregor Robertson. Although we all know what happened last time they called a signing.
Posted by: Tom13, January 25, 2015, 11:56pm; Reply: 27
Matt Dean just tweeted that Jolley could be on his way to Town as early as tomorrow.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 26, 2015, 2:26am; Reply: 28
Robertson is a tall left back who can also play centre back and left mid. Has a good league pedigree and was released by Northampton last week. Was at Rotherham when Hurst was there, so all the pieces fit.
Posted by: BIGChris, January 26, 2015, 6:22am; Reply: 29
Quoted from ginnywings
Robertson is a tall left back who can also play centre back and left mid. Has a good league pedigree and was released by Northampton last week. Was at Rotherham when Hurst was there, so all the pieces fit.

Was with Doig at Forest too
Posted by: Tom13, January 26, 2015, 11:35am; Reply: 30
Deals for Robertson and Jolley confirmed til the end of the season.
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 1:50pm