Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 23, 2015, 5:31pm
Recalling his 6 minute "perfect" hat-trick for Crystal Palace.

I'm sure he was remembering that famous night at Anfield when he changed his words from THE proudest moment to ONE of the proudest moments of his career.  :)

[youtube]VBpQfTt5xtg[/youtube]
Posted by: RichMariner, January 24, 2015, 12:36am; Reply: 1
Nice little video, that!

Remember him scoring against Hull City in the early rounds of the Auto Windscreens Shield in 1997/8 - smashed it into the roof of the net from a pretty tight angle. Didn't really know much about him back then - only that he was in for Macca at right back.
Posted by: pontoonlew, January 24, 2015, 1:34pm; Reply: 2
I seem to remember him getting a little bit of stick when he first started out for us as a youngster. Soon flourished into one of the better players we produced.
Posted by: Abdul19, January 24, 2015, 1:52pm; Reply: 3
I remember him getting a load of stick in his last season with us! (mainly down to Lennie Lawrence playing him in centre midfield)
Posted by: Maringer, January 24, 2015, 1:53pm; Reply: 4
As I recall, he was reasonably well accepted as a full-back but suffered when he was moved into central midfield for some reason when he really wasn't ready for that role. I seem to remember the nickname "Jogging Danny B" as the game often seemed to pass him by as he jogged around in midfield!
Posted by: chaos33, January 24, 2015, 3:11pm; Reply: 5
Indeed. He was awful in centre midfield and I never worked out why anyone thought he should be playing there. To give him the benefit of the doubt, he wasn't helped by being partnered in the middle with the hapless Menno Willems. This was one of the worst Town midfields I've ever seen, and I've seen some sh1t ones!
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, January 24, 2015, 3:21pm; Reply: 6

Seem to remember midfields in that era including Chapman Campbell Butterfield, hardly imposing, midget midfielders!

Also, cant decide if Danny B going greyish makes me feel old, fortunate, or worried.......
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, January 24, 2015, 3:25pm; Reply: 7
He probably went to midfield because although he was a promising prospect  he was never going to permanently dislodge Macca (that's the real one and legend, not Mr McKeown the GK.
Posted by: Abdul19, January 24, 2015, 3:33pm; Reply: 8
I remember Pouton being shunted out to the right to accommodate DB in the centre!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 24, 2015, 4:07pm; Reply: 9
I think playing Danny B in midfield explains the moniker "MadLen" late of another message board.
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 24, 2015, 7:40pm; Reply: 10
Pouton on the right wing.
Campbell left wing.
Menno and Butterfield centre-mid.

A truly awful midfield yet also the one that topped the Championship after 5 games.  

Butterfield was a class player but suffered the misfortune of having ability to play in more than one position.  In a small squad such as ours he was always required to fill in rather than make a role his own.

At Palace he was equally accomplished in midfield as he was anywhere down the right flank.  Now playing his trade as a centre back at Exeter.  

He was still very young when he left Town, I could never work out why he got so much unfair stick from  his own fans here.  Maybe had he flew into a few stupid challenges in a Bradley Wood style he would have been lauded a hero?
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, January 24, 2015, 8:06pm; Reply: 11
Danny was outstanding in the Liverpool win. He must have made 3 or 4 critical goal line clearances.  He showed his class and potential that night.
Posted by: chaos33, January 24, 2015, 8:15pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I think playing Danny B in midfield explains the moniker "MadLen" late of another message board.

What became of Mad Len?
Print page generated: April 24, 2024, 5:01am