Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: AlanPoutonsTackle, January 23, 2015, 3:34pm
Ok so although we still have a massive divide on the club and the way in which it is going, I think tomorrows game holds something we can all agree on. On a day when there are a few games off for different reasons, and now we are out of the Trophy at an early stage. We have a game against the team with the worst goal difference in the league which will go a long way to securing a play off place. So lets see if  PH and the players have what it takes to get out there against a mediocre side and put them to bed. I don't expect 7 or 8 nil but a 2 to 3 goal cushion shouldn't really be beyond us and its time to show we don't have to be bullied by alleged lesser sides.
Posted by: BIGChris, January 23, 2015, 3:37pm; Reply: 1
"bullied"?

The only side i can say i have seen us bullied by were Braintree a couple of years ago at their place
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 23, 2015, 3:47pm; Reply: 2
Agree with Nuneaton are the type of side we should be brushing away if we want to win this league,

2 OR 3 nil would be nice.
Posted by: highcliff mariner, January 23, 2015, 3:50pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from BIGChris
"bullied"?

The only side i can say i have seen us bullied by were Braintree a couple of years ago at their place

Substitute bullied for nuteuralised ?

In theOP i mean ?
Utm
Posted by: Caesar, January 23, 2015, 3:50pm; Reply: 4
Agree with the title of this thread completely.  

We were fantastic against Barnet and PH and the team deserve huge credit for that game.  However we have had great results before but against the bottom 6/7 we have a very poor record, if we had better results against those teams we would be very close to Barnet and the promtion team we all want to be.  I think the Barnet game actually showed why we are so upset and divided about our team at the moment, we can play that well yet away at Dartford and Telford we were incredibly dull and poor.

Hope this game can be a different story.
Posted by: oldun, January 23, 2015, 4:12pm; Reply: 5
Yes, tomorrow will show what we are made of.
Posted by: Tommy, January 23, 2015, 4:27pm; Reply: 6
I just hope to not be hearing "any point away from home is a good point" at 5pm tomorrow.

Feeling fairly positive after last Saturday though. Need to approach the game with the same mentality.
Posted by: Abdul19, January 23, 2015, 4:54pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Tommy
I just hope to not be hearing "any point away from home is a good point" at 5pm tomorrow.

This. In a league with only one automatic promotion spot it's a load of old bollocks.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, January 23, 2015, 5:02pm; Reply: 8
If we can carry on from that Barnet display we should be comfortable winners I'd imagine, really hope that now the FA Trophy is out the way we can really concentrate on the league. My biggest fear is injuries and back log of games due to postponements etc..
Posted by: Garth, January 23, 2015, 6:47pm; Reply: 9
This is Grimsby and it would not surprise me if the team has an off day , if we are serious about doing something this year,  tomorrows the time to kick it off to the seasons end
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 23, 2015, 7:06pm; Reply: 10
After the Barnet game the manager said in the GT it was the benchmark so we should be able to expect the team to be fired up for a good, solid win by at least 2 or 3 clear goals. Anything less than that ought not be acceptable for a team with ambitions to be in L2 in August. So we don't want to hear any of the 'a point away from home is always good' talk or even '1-0 is good when you haven't played well'.

To really kick on for the run in we need to achieve quality performances and aim to take three points from every game against teams below us in the table whether home or away. It's not easy but, when you think about it, it's the only way to get up there from where we are. Grinding out defensive draws just won't cut it.
Posted by: moosey_club, January 23, 2015, 10:43pm; Reply: 11
agree on the o.p but however ....when we lost to them at home they came as pretty much the most useless team on the road in the world ever ....Liam Diash is saying they wont they the towel in on getting relegated until its mathematically impossible.....

:o
Posted by: lukeo, January 24, 2015, 7:38am; Reply: 12
today is about 3 points. After our win v Barnet and our 90mins draw v Gateshead there is no reason why we can't win at Nuneaton. Although i'd like a 2/3/4-0 win i'd take a 1-0 win.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 24, 2015, 8:14am; Reply: 13
Quoted from lukeo
today is about 3 points. After our win v Barnet and our 90mins draw v Gateshead there is no reason why we can't win at Nuneaton. Although i'd like a 2/3/4-0 win i'd take a 1-0 win.

It's about more than just 3 points though isn't it? Today is about whether we are serious contenders or whether last week was a fluke win over Barnet. A dominant performance is wanted plus an end product that will send a message to our rivals that Town are on the up. For a side that has just wiped the floor with Barnet a 2 clear goals win over the likes of Nuneaton is the minimum requirement.

Posted by: The Singing Fisherman, January 24, 2015, 8:25am; Reply: 14
Great performances will be great every game but Just winning games will get us promoted! It doesn't matter how we win just as long as we do! I will take 17 ugly wins as long as we go up. utm
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 24, 2015, 8:44am; Reply: 15
Great performances will be great every game but Just winning games will get us promoted! It doesn't matter how we win just as long as we do! I will take 17 ugly wins as long as we go up. utm

I know what you mean and I've often said much the same. The thing is though that scrappy wins have such a small margin for success don't they? A scrappy win easily becomes a scrappy draw and a scrappy draw a scrappy defeat if Nuneaton get lucky in the last minutes. It's important to get a cushion in these matches because in the end it makes life easier with fewer bookings, fewer injuries if you are seeing out a game you are winning comfortably.

It might well be that later in the season nerves will produce tight games but for now surely we ought to be setting up the side to batter Nuneaton and the like.

Posted by: Garth, January 24, 2015, 9:44am; Reply: 16

I know what you mean and I've often said much the same. The thing is though that scrappy wins have such a small margin for success don't they? A scrappy win easily becomes a scrappy draw and a scrappy draw a scrappy defeat if Nuneaton get lucky in the last minutes. It's important to get a cushion in these matches because in the end it makes life easier with fewer bookings, fewer injuries if you are seeing out a game you are winning comfortably.

It might well be that later in the season nerves will produce tight games but for now surely we ought to be setting up the side to batter Nuneaton and the like.

I agree a win whatever the score is a must, but also the manner in which we approach this game is also important  if we are to succeed in the only thing left for us this season, promotion
Posted by: acko338, January 24, 2015, 11:23am; Reply: 17
Rule 1 - if we go one nil up, that is NOT the end of the game and everyone relaxes !

Rule 2 - High defensive line in the 2nd half, so as not to encourage opponents to charge at us.

Rule 3 - Players - play as if you want it - challenge / fight for every 50 / 50 ball, every clearance, show the away fans you're doing it for them !

Rule 4 - you can't score unless you're brave enough to shoot, but heads up for those in better places to score than you - no selfishness.

Rule 5 - always remember the graft that's gone into funding he fans travelling to see you in lousy away ends, who more often than not outshout the home crowds.

Rule 6 - keep replaying the Barnet game - it's on record now, we know how well you can play, so keep doing it that way !!
Print page generated: April 18, 2024, 10:35pm