Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: DocTower, January 20, 2015, 6:05pm
Nephew in Durham said it's  still very cold , snow on ground ,  very very wet . So chances are very slim that game will take place .
Posted by: gary_elton, January 20, 2015, 6:26pm; Reply: 1
we could be without any game this weekend....
Posted by: DocTower, January 20, 2015, 7:03pm; Reply: 2
If the weather  is going to be as bad as the forecasters say in certain areas of Britain  , might not be a bad thing , put pressure on other clubs . Think Eastleigh  have a few to get in .
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 20, 2015, 7:44pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from gary_elton
we could be without any game this weekend....

That's a very good point gaz. We postpone the Nuneaton game to not play at Gateshead.
I would say the league game should go ahead as planned. People would've made plans possibly for a romantic weekend in Nuneaton or leamington spa.
Posted by: BIGChris, January 20, 2015, 7:52pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

That's a very good point gaz. We postpone the Nuneaton game to not play at Gateshead.
I would say the league game should go ahead as planned. People would've made plans possibly for a romantic weekend in Nuneaton or leamington spa.

Romantic meeting in Leamington Spa?

I actually met 'mrs BIGChris' in Leamington Spa many years ago!

Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 20, 2015, 7:53pm; Reply: 5
Sorry Chris. Didn't mean it sarcastically. You know me better than that  :P
Posted by: BIGChris, January 20, 2015, 7:54pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Sorry Chris. Didn't mean it sarcastically. You know me better than that  :P

I didn't say our meeting was romantic ;)
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 20, 2015, 7:56pm; Reply: 7
And she's been saying that for 20+ years
Posted by: DocTower, January 21, 2015, 7:41am; Reply: 8
7-30 am  inch of snow  ,  very cold , in Durham .
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 21, 2015, 8:51am; Reply: 9
Quoted from DocTower
If the weather  is going to be as bad as the forecasters say in certain areas of Britain  , might not be a bad thing , put pressure on other clubs . Think Eastleigh  have a few to get in .

Eastleigh have played 28, one game in hand on us.
Posted by: DocTower, January 21, 2015, 9:15am; Reply: 10
Just looked , 3 behind a few teams ,  moist weather on its way . wouldn't  be surprised  if the number increases . Happens every year , someone somewhere will be bleating about fixture  congestion due to postponed matches.  

Before some of these teams get into the conference  , are the pitches  checked for the suitability and sustainability  . If the stands have to come to a certain standard why not the pitch , eg   Gateshead .
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, January 21, 2015, 9:16am; Reply: 11
Oh ffs this is getting boring now, can they not just get on the blower to Newcastle or Sunderland and ask for a borrow of their pitch for the evening?
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, January 21, 2015, 9:42am; Reply: 12
York is roughly midway to Gateshead.  Snow here overnight and it is snowing now (Wed AM).  It is turning to slush and a gritter just went by.  It does not look promising.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 21, 2015, 9:43am; Reply: 13
Am guessing costs etc would be the problem imp
Posted by: jonnyboy82, January 21, 2015, 9:50am; Reply: 14
This game wont be played tonight folks !

Posted by: davmariner, January 21, 2015, 9:56am; Reply: 15
If they've done things properly and had covers on the pitch since Monday then it shouldn't be a problem. The snow will insulate the pitch and protect it from freezing. The forecast says 2 degrees most of the day and black cloud so if they actually did things properly we could have a game.

Won't happen though.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, January 21, 2015, 10:14am; Reply: 16
Quoted from davmariner
If they've done things properly and had covers on the pitch since Monday then it shouldn't be a problem. The snow will insulate the pitch and protect it from freezing. The forecast says 2 degrees most of the day and black cloud so if they actually did things properly we could have a game.

Won't happen though.

I was told that Gateshead do not have their own groundsman, it is Gateshead councils responsibility for the pitch as they run the stadium. If this is true it explains why the have so many game postponed.

Posted by: DocTower, January 21, 2015, 10:22am; Reply: 17
Just looked , 3 behind a few teams ,  moist weather on its way . wouldn't  be surprised  if the number increases . Happens every year , someone somewhere will be bleating about fixture  congestion due to postponed matches.  

Before some of these teams get into the conference  , are the pitches  checked for the suitability and sustainability  . If the stands have to come to a certain standard why not the pitch , eg   Gateshead .
Posted by: Doubled, January 21, 2015, 10:33am; Reply: 18
What annoys me about this is the money Gateshead save on ground maintenance can be spent on players wages.
That gives then an unfair advantage over clubs like ours, we take pride in our pitch, and the team at BP do a great job.
It would be interesting to see what the budget for pitch maintenance is for both clubs.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, January 21, 2015, 10:56am; Reply: 19
Let's hope when the game is eventually played we repay them with a smashing like we did earlier in the season. :)

It is getting beyond a joke now though especially when it is interfering with our games in the league, the game against  Nuneaton should take place has Gateshead have had chances to get the pitch sorted and have failed.

I am starting to dislike Gateshead!  :-/
Posted by: DocTower, January 21, 2015, 12:25pm; Reply: 20
If its 50/50 that the game is on up there and 100% that Nuneaton is on what do they do ?
Posted by: BIGChris, January 21, 2015, 12:32pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from DocTower
If its 50/50 that the game is on up there and 100% that Nuneaton is on what do they do ?

'they' (presumably GTFC) dont have a choice
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 21, 2015, 12:52pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from BIGChris

'they' (presumably GTFC) dont have a choice

There was a case just recently where AFC Fylde were due to play Telford but the game was called off on the Friday and Fylde traveled away to play their scheduled league game. How viable that would be to do at Premier level I don't know though.
Posted by: itsnotcoditshaddock, January 21, 2015, 1:03pm; Reply: 23
Game on... Passed first inspection...
Posted by: supertown, January 21, 2015, 1:08pm; Reply: 24

deja vu
Posted by: Richard Cranium, January 21, 2015, 1:54pm; Reply: 25
I wonder what time the second one will be.     ;D We leave in just over an hour

Posted by: Garth, January 21, 2015, 2:14pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Richard Cranium
I wonder what time the second one will be.     ;D We leave in just over an hour

Around 5pm I would think
Posted by: acko338, January 21, 2015, 5:54pm; Reply: 27
Half time when it's abandoned as dangerous underfoot!
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, January 21, 2015, 6:23pm; Reply: 28
Humberside just joked that it could still be called off!   ;D ;D ;D

Hope not.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, January 21, 2015, 6:43pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
Humberside just joked that it could still be called off!   ;D ;D ;D

Hope not.

As the saying goes....Many a true word said in jest!
Posted by: ginnywings, January 21, 2015, 7:14pm; Reply: 30
Game is on according to RH.
Print page generated: April 16, 2024, 11:06am