Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: JMT, January 17, 2015, 9:55pm
Offer him a bloody new contract now, before he gets snapped up on the free at the end of the season!

Clearly wants to stay![IMG]http://i.imgur.com/FUlunJy.jpg[/IMG]
Posted by: SamTheMariner, January 17, 2015, 9:57pm; Reply: 1
He won't want to sign a new contract until he knows which league we will be in. Anyway I'd prioritize Lenny and Pearson over him.
Posted by: bobbyturtle, January 17, 2015, 10:02pm; Reply: 2
Carl Magnay is top
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 17, 2015, 10:09pm; Reply: 3
Probably one of the best players we've had whilst we've been at this level.

Hardly ever puts a foot wrong. He's had 1 bad game since signing for us and that was the 2-0 home defeat to Kiddy when the entire team were bloody useless.
Posted by: LH, January 17, 2015, 10:12pm; Reply: 4
Maggers is the nuts- an absolute class act. You can tell he's had a good footballing education at Chelsea in the past. John Terry's apprentice.
Posted by: chicaneuk, January 17, 2015, 10:13pm; Reply: 5
Totally agreed. The club desperately need to get him signed up on a proper contract.
Posted by: RichMariner, January 17, 2015, 10:14pm; Reply: 6
He's got his head screwed on. Plays well, says the right things in the press and on social media. I imagine he's no trouble in training.

Plays in multiple positions too, and has never let us down.

If he's asking to be shown the dotted line, then it sounds like he's keen to sign - irrespective of what division we'll be in. Don't think these are good times for footballers to hold out until the summer - especially at this level.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), January 17, 2015, 10:15pm; Reply: 7
People calling him a legend. He has played for us for 7 months. The only legend we have had playing for us in the last 10 years has been John McDermott in my opinion.
Posted by: bradzmilne, January 17, 2015, 10:15pm; Reply: 8
The one that got away from Mr. Mourinho in my opinion  ;D
Posted by: LH, January 17, 2015, 10:16pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from bradzmilne
The one that got away from Mr. Mourinho in my opinion  ;D

He signed him!
Posted by: acko338, January 17, 2015, 10:20pm; Reply: 10
Surely the monetary amounts that could be offered from present contracts will be known for each league, dependent on going up?

Surely also worth a promotion carrot to the squad - the incoming money would make it worth paying once promoted ??
Posted by: Poojah, January 17, 2015, 10:20pm; Reply: 11
Have we had a better full back since Macca retired almost a decade ago? I can't think of one.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 17, 2015, 10:29pm; Reply: 12
As Wapping mariner will tell you, top quality bloke. Settled in really well with the squad as well
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 17, 2015, 10:39pm; Reply: 13
He's also very appreciative of the traveling Town support. I remember after the win at Torquay he made a point of walking along the pitch and applauding the entire stand where we were all stood.
Posted by: Chrisblor, January 17, 2015, 11:00pm; Reply: 14
Give him a new contract immediately. He's about two leagues two good for us. God knows what Gateshead and Gary Mills were playing at letting him go!
Posted by: davmariner, January 17, 2015, 11:12pm; Reply: 15
He's an excellent right full back in particular. We've found it difficult to find decent right backs In recent years, and I'm not sure we've had really had a decent one since Macca apart from when that Shaleum Logan played on loan for a few games. For me, Magnay just magnifies how sh1te a full back Sam Hatton is, many GTFC believed he was brilliant and couldn't put a foot wrong.

Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 17, 2015, 11:29pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Les Brechin
He's also very appreciative of the traveling Town support. I remember after the win at Torquay he made a point of walking along the pitch and applauding the entire stand where we were all stood.

The rest of them must've been too knackered to walk the extra distance les
Posted by: itsnotcoditshaddock, January 17, 2015, 11:40pm; Reply: 17
Reckon you could play him anywhere in the team and he'd be standout. The best player we've had in at least the last 5 years, easily.
Posted by: sparko501, January 17, 2015, 11:47pm; Reply: 18
He's absolute class, really hope we keep him, love his passion and gives 110% all the time.  He is the first person to applaud the fans at every game even if we lose.
Posted by: Teestogreen, January 18, 2015, 12:06am; Reply: 19
Very impressed with Carl Magnay today. The Bt commentary team gave him a bit of criticism for not blocking off Akinde when he had a header that went wide.
Apart from that, he was very good indeed at left back - and I'd like to see him there for the rest of the season..
Posted by: Grimal, January 18, 2015, 12:15am; Reply: 20
Carl could play at a much higher level than this and we are very lucky to have him. I say get him signing on the dotted line now. Today he was sheer class, he's so composed in everything he does.
Posted by: tonyfordsmicrofro, January 18, 2015, 12:16am; Reply: 21
Carl Magnay. Just totting up how many games I've seen him play.........

12 (ish)

He loves the fans. I have some affection for him.

Contract renewal. No brainier.

Posted by: jimgtfc, January 18, 2015, 12:19am; Reply: 22
He's become my favourite player, and a lot of other people I speak to say the same. Versatile, reliable, enthusiastic, solid defensively and good going forward.

Sign him up!!!
Posted by: Teestogreen, January 18, 2015, 12:23am; Reply: 23
Quoted from Grimal
Carl could play at a much higher level than this and we are very lucky to have him. I say get him signing on the dotted line now. Today he was sheer class, he's so composed in everything he does.

On todays evidence, I totally agree - class apart at this level.

Posted by: ackomariner, January 18, 2015, 5:43am; Reply: 24
Quoted from Teestogreen

On todays evidence, I totally agree - class apart at this level.

Said to barralad on another thread two weeks ago that they should have him straight in and offer him a TWO year contract....well worth the extra year
Posted by: fleabag1970, January 18, 2015, 7:59am; Reply: 25
Is there a Problem with Magnay ??? I just don't get how he is playing at this level ?? Is he carrying a long term injury we don't know about ??  . Future Club Captain / assis' Manager ??
Posted by: AlanPoutonsTackle, January 18, 2015, 8:19am; Reply: 26
Quoted from SamTheMariner
He won't want to sign a new contract until he knows which league we will be in. Anyway I'd prioritize Lenny and Pearson over him.

Looking at his twitter there he says he would. I wouldn't prioritise lenny and Pearson I would do something groundbreaking and offer them all a new deal now. We waste more money letting players run out and then looking for replacements.
Posted by: livosnose, January 18, 2015, 8:22am; Reply: 27
Quoted from fleabag1970
Is there a Problem with Magnay ??? I just don't get how he is playing at this level ?? Is he carrying a long term injury we don't know about ??  . Future Club Captain / behind' Manager ??

Thinks he's bad some bad knee injuries ACL .
Posted by: oldun, January 18, 2015, 9:05am; Reply: 28
Would make an excellent captain.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, January 18, 2015, 9:38am; Reply: 29
Anyone else see his reaction when Akinde nearly killed Pearson ? He sprinted over absolutely raging ! Passion
Posted by: Garth, January 18, 2015, 12:34pm; Reply: 30
Cockers said on the radio that he would like to see more of him before he could make his mind up as to whether her really is the biz????????????????
Posted by: highcliff mariner, January 18, 2015, 12:38pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Garth
Cockers said on the radio that he would like to see more of him before he could make his mind up as to whether her really is the biz??????????????f??

Perhaps he hasn't seen much of him ?????????????   ?
Posted by: horsforthmariner, January 18, 2015, 1:08pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from fleabag1970
Is there a Problem with Magnay ??? I just don't get how he is playing at this level ?? Is he carrying a long term injury we don't know about ??  . Future Club Captain / assis' Manager ??

I think it's more bad luck than anything else

He had an ACL about 5 years ago but I think the main thing is he came into the game via a TV programme  (he was at Chelsea for a few years) and I think quite a lot of clubs were a bit snooty about him because of that. He ended up Gateshead where he fell out with the manager. If you're not "making it" at Gateshead league club aren't going to be interested much to our good luck.

He obviously a league player probably league 1 is about his level.
Posted by: horsforthmariner, January 18, 2015, 1:15pm; Reply: 33
And apparently Magnay was also involved in a training ground fight!

http://m.espn.go.com/soccer/story?storyId=669920&wjb=
Posted by: immariner, January 18, 2015, 5:12pm; Reply: 34
If the lad was lightning quick he'd be League 1 or Championship- he just exudes calmness and has a level of anticipation and "football intelligence" that is way above our current level. Irrespective of whether we're still in this division or the one above next year, the guy has to be in the team. For that reason he needs to be offered a new contract asap.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), January 18, 2015, 5:14pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from immariner
Irrespective of whether we're still in this division or the one above next year, the guy has to be in the team. For that reason he needs to be offered a new contract asap.

Same goes for Shaun Pearson and you could argue for the shop.
Posted by: Grimal, January 18, 2015, 6:33pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Garth
Cockers said on the radio that he would like to see more of him before he could make his mind up as to whether her really is the biz????????????????

I'm sure Carl would oblige and take his shirt off next time he's in Cockers company. ;)

Posted by: Garth, January 18, 2015, 6:41pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Grimal

I'm sure Carl would oblige and take his shirt off next time he's in Cockers company. ;)

;D ;D ;D ;D
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 18, 2015, 7:08pm; Reply: 38
Macca has another year on his contract and I think Pearson has also,

If not sign him up again now,

Along with Magnay and John Lewis,

It does not matter what league we are in next season,

You just put an increase in the contract if we are in L2.
Posted by: Cod Cheeks, January 18, 2015, 8:49pm; Reply: 39
Best new signing of the summer by far

It's his commitment that I love
Posted by: SamTheMariner, January 18, 2015, 9:55pm; Reply: 40
Two things. One he is a right clever clogs. It can't be helpful when a player comes out and says we come out in home games with the wrong mentality. Basically saying the manager cannot motivate us. It maybe true just keep it too yourself. Secondly he might have an option in his contract like Lenny, Aza and Bignot had.
Posted by: sparko501, January 18, 2015, 11:14pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Cod Cheeks
Best new signing of the summer by far

It's his commitment that I love

Totally agree, I just love it when he goes crazy when we score  ;D, he shows proper passion and shares it with everyone in the ground. He also just says things as they are in interviews and says pretty much what everyone is thinking, we are lucky to have him and hope he stays
Posted by: Garth, January 19, 2015, 9:20am; Reply: 42
Quoted from sparko501

Totally agree, I just love it when he goes crazy when we score  ;D, he shows proper passion and shares it with everyone in the ground. He also just says things as they are in interviews and says pretty much what everyone is thinking, we are lucky to have him and hope he stays

Maybe thats why Mills got rid of him, OK by me though I like that in a person top man IMO
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 19, 2015, 9:35am; Reply: 43
It's a shame that Cod Almighty don't seem to be doing t-shirts anymore.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, January 19, 2015, 7:31pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Les Brechin

Isn't that the kiss of death?
Posted by: sparko501, January 19, 2015, 11:12pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from Garth

Maybe thats why Mills got rid of him, OK by me though I like that in a person top man IMO

Yeah possibly, there must have been something bad that happened no one in their right mind in this league would let him go without good reason.  Although I've not looked at any stats whilst he was there, could just be that he is playing better with us? And nicely settled?
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 20, 2015, 7:14am; Reply: 46
Quoted from Les Brechin

Agree les

Maybe something for the trust??
Posted by: WappingMariner, January 20, 2015, 9:58am; Reply: 47
It's his birthday today. Instead of a cake, GTFC, give him the contract renewal form that he wants.
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 20, 2015, 10:22am; Reply: 48
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Agree les

Maybe something for the trust??

A Magnayficent idea Woz.  :)
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 20, 2015, 11:05am; Reply: 49
See what you've done there les
Posted by: TAGG, January 22, 2015, 10:35pm; Reply: 50
How come Lincoln can give Power a two year extension now and are trying to tie up others to contracts and we cant give players like Magnay and Pearson new contracts???

http://www.lincolnshireecho.co.uk/Lincoln-City-captain-Alan-Power-agrees-year/story-25901073-detail/story.html
Posted by: chaos33, January 22, 2015, 10:36pm; Reply: 51
Maybe it's because they want to do that, and we don't.
Maybe they don't think they'll get promoted so can make offers with more specific content.
Maybe their players want to commit their future to Lincoln and ours aren't ready to do that to us.
Maybe their board and manager are more certain of who they want than we are.
Maybe they're ace and clever, and we're sh1t and thick.

???
Posted by: TAGG, January 22, 2015, 10:43pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from chaos33
Maybe it's because they want to do that, and we don't.
Maybe they don't think they'll get promoted so can make offers with more specific content.
Maybe their players want to commit their future to Lincoln and ours aren't ready to do that to us.
Maybe their board and manager are more certain of who they want than we are.
Maybe they're ace and clever, and we're sh1t and thick.

???

Maybe  :)
Posted by: Tommy, January 22, 2015, 10:55pm; Reply: 53
I can understand us waiting to see what league we're in next season before offering most players deals.

However, Magnay is certainly one that could quite easily make the step up to League 2 with us. If I were making these decisions I'd be offering him an extension now.
Posted by: lukeo, January 23, 2015, 8:23am; Reply: 54
Lincoln is more central and a nicer place to live?  ??)

How has Power stayed there so long? Is he a local lad? Everytime i've seen him he's been a class above.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, January 24, 2015, 5:24pm; Reply: 55
Don't you just love 1 year deals...  >:(

League interest in Magnay....  ??)

Should be tying up the best players to new contracts asap, whether we go up or not, he would be in the team, Town should be doing what Lincoln is already doing.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 24, 2015, 5:31pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Don't you just love 1 year deals...  >:(

League interest in Magnay....  ??)

Should be tying up the best players to new contracts asap, whether we go up or not, he would be in the team, should be doing what Lincoln is already doing.

Not surprised, the way he is playing. Wouldn't begrudge him a move to the league. It's a short career, especially a player like him who has had serious injuries.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 24, 2015, 5:54pm; Reply: 57
Never mind Palmer, the Major Shareholder should be taking Magnay out for a slap up meal, giving him a lend of his car/horse/anything else he wants to persuade him to sign a new contract.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, January 24, 2015, 6:13pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from ginnywings
Not surprised, the way he is playing. Wouldn't begrudge him a move to the league. It's a short career, especially a player like him who has had serious injuries.
Yeah same here, it's more of an annoyance than anything, but if he can play at a higher level then all the best luck to him and anyone in the world progressing their career.

Weighing up both sides of the scales, long term contracts could mean money coming into the club, or long term injurys - Liam Hearn was a classic case of both sides, if we had sold him people would of been mega drunk off at the time, we kept him and he ended up injury prone, went for nothing and ended up at Mansfield laid up for another season.

At least with 1 year deals we still have a good chance of keeping our players, and hopefully enhancing the team with better players.  I still think we should attempt to give longer deals for players who are proven at this level, Pearson, Magnay, James Mckeown, maybe 'Shop' - he's proven a lot wrong this year.  ;)
Posted by: Abdul19, January 24, 2015, 8:40pm; Reply: 59
To be fair, McKeown and Pearson are on 2 year deals and John-Lewis' automatic extension (oo er) means he's on a 2.5.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, January 24, 2015, 8:57pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from Abdul19
To be fair, McKeown and Pearson are on 2 year deals and John-Lewis' automatic extension (oo er) means he's on a 2.5.
Yeah, just looking on Cod Amighty now at player contracts >> [url=http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]

What happens at the end of this season with John-Lewis, can the club or himself automatically enforce a new one year deal?

I would offer Pearson another two-year deal...

I thought McKeown signed a one-year deal, nice to see it's 2 years and runs out June 2016! (thumbup1)
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 7:46am